All Things Beer

General Discussion on any Off Topic subject
Re: All Things Beer

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:48 am

The night Mom died I went to the store and I ignored my usual price limitations and found this gem.

That is a damned fine beer. Reminded me of Amber Bock with the toasted malt, but not as sweet and finished a lot cleaner. I'd buy it again if they weren't charging $11.50 for a six pack around here.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Kress » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:13 am

NYBF wrote:You Floridians familiar with Fort Myers Brewing Co? Friend of mine is a brewer there.

I'm going to Ft. Myers tomorrow. Do they do tastings?
Kress

Postby NYBF » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:06 pm

Kress wrote:
NYBF wrote:You Floridians familiar with Fort Myers Brewing Co? Friend of mine is a brewer there.

They do. THey usually have a food truck there, too.

MB - they definitely weren't around in '04.
And as far as the Blue Point goes - that's about the same price as it is here, and it's brewed on the Island. They're only the 2nd best brewery in their town, though.
NYBF

Postby acmillis » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:23 pm

Kress wrote:

Every Thursday is a food truck rally our there....Lotta hipsters and millennials
acmillis

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:40 pm

Kress wrote:

I just looked it up and it's right off of Daniel's near Gateway. Easy to get to, but don't go too far past it or you'll end up in Lehigh Acres with CSG and Terry.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:47 pm

If you are into sours, D9 out of NC and Birds Fly South out of SC are making amazing beer.

D9's Systema Naturae has been my go to beer for the last few months and BFS collaboration with Thomas Creek's American Sour (both the cherry and black currant) are amazing as well.

edit: For those who don't drink sours, they are really expensive. Can be upwards of $20 per bottle.
uscbucsfan

Postby IchabodCrane84 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:43 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:The night Mom died I went to the store and I ignored my usual price limitations and found this gem.

That is a damned fine beer. Reminded me of Amber Bock with the toasted malt, but not as sweet and finished a lot cleaner. I'd buy it again if they weren't charging $11.50 for a six pack around here.

I'm gonna have to try that.
IchabodCrane84

Postby Kress » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:59 pm

acmillis wrote:
Kress wrote:

Every Thursday is a food truck rally our there....Lotta hipsters and millennials

1. Tomorrow is Wednesday.

2. Food, i like, but Hipsters and millennials will make me get my gun out.

But thanks, NY. I'll swing by late tomorrow afternoon. What's your friend's name? PM if you want. Or post in the Legends' Lounge.
Kress

Postby Konatown » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:52 pm

Went to Asheville, NC for a wedding over memorial weekend and got to try several great breweries. Wicked weed being my favorite. After visiting my old man up in lake chatuge this past week I got my hands on some of their beers to take home since I never see their stuff here in Tampa. Got the Prenicious IPA, Dark Age imperial stout (already drank all those) and saving their milk and cookies imperial stout for a cooler night around here. Gotta love good beer.

Anyone here going to Cigar City's Hunahpu Day this year?
Konatown

Postby 2.0 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:33 pm

Currently drinking Flower Power from Ithaca Beer Co. (NY)

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:00 am

Konatown wrote:Went to Asheville, NC for a wedding over memorial weekend and got to try several great breweries. Wicked weed being my favorite. After visiting my old man up in lake chatuge this past week I got my hands on some of their beers to take home since I never see their stuff here in Tampa. Got the Prenicious IPA, Dark Age imperial stout (already drank all those) and saving their milk and cookies imperial stout for a cooler night around here. Gotta love good beer.

Wicked Weed has some great Sours as well. Right now Westbrook brewery, out of Charleston, SC, collaborated with Evil Twin for their annual Imperial Biscotti Mexican Cake, it's a limited release that is chocolate cake with habeneros. It's pretty good for the alcohol content.

If you like Goses, which I know is more of a summer beer, Birds Fly South has a great Rhubarb Gose out as well.
uscbucsfan

Postby Kress » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:38 am

Kress wrote:
acmillis wrote:Every Thursday is a food truck rally our there....Lotta hipsters and millennials

But thanks, NY. I'll swing by late tomorrow afternoon. What's your friend's name? PM if you want. Or post in the Legends' Lounge.

I never made it. My hearing went much longer than I thought - past 5:00 - and I didn't want to fight more traffic than I needed to. I researched them online, though, and will definitely stop in soon. That porter looks interesting, as well as the crude.
Kress

Postby acmillis » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:45 pm

Kress wrote:
Kress wrote:

I never made it. My hearing went much longer than I thought - past 5:00 - and I didn't want to fight more traffic than I needed to. I researched them online, though, and will definitely stop in soon. That porter looks interesting, as well as the crude.

Big fan of the Gateway Gold myself. Tried something there called Get Lei'd, really good IMO.
acmillis

Postby Konatown » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:54 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
Konatown wrote:Went to Asheville, NC for a wedding over memorial weekend and got to try several great breweries. Wicked weed being my favorite. After visiting my old man up in lake chatuge this past week I got my hands on some of their beers to take home since I never see their stuff here in Tampa. Got the Prenicious IPA, Dark Age imperial stout (already drank all those) and saving their milk and cookies imperial stout for a cooler night around here. Gotta love good beer.

Wicked Weed has some great Sours as well. Right now Westbrook brewery, out of Charleston, SC, collaborated with Evil Twin for their annual Imperial Biscotti Mexican Cake, it's a limited release that is chocolate cake with habeneros. It's pretty good for the alcohol content.

If you like Goses, which I know is more of a summer beer, Birds Fly South has a great Rhubarb Gose out as well.

Damn that sounds delicious. Really enjoy the Westbrook IPA. Stopped by Cigar City earlier today and tried the Marshal Zuchov Vanilla Hazelnut imperial stout. So good I grabbed a bottle to go.
Konatown

Postby WCBuc » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:54 pm

Does anyone know a place that will ship Cigar City Brewing? I'm up in Omaha and could use some of the Lager and Florida Cracker.

Edit: I guess does anyone know a place that ships and doesn't charge outrageous prices for shipping? Found two sites and it's $20-$30 to ship a 6 pack. Not sure I can justify that.
WCBuc

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon May 08, 2017 9:04 pm

Took a chance on a local brew this evening....

Borrowed the pic from the brewery that I have to visit now. It's Veteran owned which is nice, I want to support this business on that basis.

The name was a bit of a misnomer. I expected a blonde ale that looked like a lager, but this is an unfiltered ale. Golden hue, almost bronze. Gave a big head on a side pour so I had to let it settle for a minute. Nose has citrus. kinda sweet, but not too sweet.

It has a full body, it's a heavy brew and has a lot of the nutty and caramel notes that you find in a Belgian ale like Fat Tire. This is definitely comparable to one of my favorite beers. The flavor lingers and that is totally fine by me. You can savor this one. I want a blackened Mahi Mahi sandwich and fries with seasoned salt to go with it. Great in hot or cold weather, excellent bourbon chaser.

The only thing I don't like is the price because I'm a cheap-ass. If I'm dropping $9 and change on a six pack, I can just as easily get some fatties. The fact that I'm supporting a local, veteran owned business is the only thing that would put it over the top. I also am not keen on it being in a can, I very much prefer tap or bottles. If I can get this for the same price as a mass marketed domestic on tap, I'm all over it.

9/10 on flavor, 5/10 on price.

10/10 for aftertaste. My gawd, it's tasty.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Kress » Mon May 08, 2017 10:26 pm

I know that you and your family have been in some turmoil lately, so I won't begin to guess about your finances, but $9 for a 6-er of something that you really like and support isn't so bad. Visualize it as a cheaper beer with a "tip" for the vets making it.

It sounds like it won't be a normal drinker for you, but for a nice occasion keep some on hand and, as lach would like me to say, whip it out when the mood strikes.

Most of you know that I'm primarily a wine guy, and I have bottles that I have cellared for 15+ years. Not because I was supposed to, but because I'm saving them for the right time. Given what I paid for them, I'm not popping one on a Wednesday night just because I had a tough day at work. It's special occasion ****. If you truly like it that much, treat this beer like that. (Although I would not suggest waiting 15 years. That likely would not turn out well for you.)
Kress

Postby HamBone » Tue May 09, 2017 5:41 am

I tried Bad Martha's blueberry at the Flight Center in Nashua last weekend...I was really surprised. It was really good. Not super blueberry-y.

Later in the day I tried another blueberry beer (not Bad Martha's) at the Peddlers Daughter...and it was too sweet.
HamBone

Postby McFan » Tue May 09, 2017 7:07 am

This is a local PA beer (Pittston, PA) that is all the rage in my area. And by the way, its unbelievably tasty with zero hangover effect...

McFan

Postby NYBF » Tue May 09, 2017 9:06 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:T I also am not keen on it being in a can, I very much prefer tap or bottles.

Get used to cans. Slowly the craft world is changing over. They're lighter and take up a smaller footprint to ship. Recycling is easier. And as far as beer containment, they're superior to glass in every way; completely opaque to prevent light from getting in and better sealed than bottles to prevent oxygenation.
NYBF

Postby Buc You » Tue May 09, 2017 9:09 am

NYBF wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:T I also am not keen on it being in a can, I very much prefer tap or bottles.

Get used to cans. Slowly the craft world is changing over. They're lighter and take up a smaller footprint to ship. Recycling is easier. And as far as beer containment, they're superior to glass in every way; completely opaque to prevent light from getting in and better sealed than bottles to prevent oxygenation.

But then your $8 beer tastes like metal. **** that.
Buc You

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue May 09, 2017 9:14 am

Buc You wrote:
NYBF wrote:

He's right, though. The florida brewers in particular seem to have gone this way.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby NYBF » Tue May 09, 2017 9:17 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Buc You wrote:

He's right, though. The florida brewers in particular seem to have gone this way.

If your brewery is cheaping out on the cans, that's on them.
NYBF

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue May 09, 2017 9:23 am

NYBF wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:He's right, though. The florida brewers in particular seem to have gone this way.

Putting a coating on the inside of the can is a standard practice. That's not the issue. It's putting your mouth on the damned can that changes the flavor. just about any time I'm drinking anything decent out of a can, I'll pour it into a glass to get around it.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby NYBF » Tue May 09, 2017 9:49 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
NYBF wrote:

Putting a coating on the inside of the can is a standard practice. That's not the issue. It's putting your mouth on the damned can that changes the flavor. just about any time I'm drinking anything decent out of a can, I'll pour it into a glass to get around it.

Ah. Yeah, I usually pour into a glass no matter. I guess you could use a straw? :lol:
NYBF

Postby Selmon Rules » Tue May 09, 2017 3:21 pm

I have different beers for different occasions. I like Leinekugel's Bavarian Dunkel for sitting around and having just one or two after work and Yuengling Light for the golf course. I have also been known for buying the occasional 6 pack of Abita Amber (New Orleans local beer) for a change of pace around the house also....
Sig currently being held hostage by Photobucket, will return next fall
Selmon Rules

Postby Rocker » Fri May 19, 2017 12:19 am

Rogue American Ale.

This may be my new favorite beer.
Rocker

Postby Buc2 » Fri May 26, 2017 2:25 pm

A craft brewery is expanding their operations in my town. I've not tried any of their brews yet, but they have a catchy name.

Lickinghole Creek Craft Brewery to open new Lynchburg facility, create jobs

LYNCHBURG, Va. (WSET) - A new brewery is coming to Lynchburg and will create 59 new jobs, according to Governor
McAuliffe.

Officials say 28 of those jobs will be here in Lynchburg.

.@LCCB_FarmBrews doing big things... just look @ the #s: $14M investment, a new 50K sq ft brewery, 59 new jobs, & 90% local ag to be used pic.twitter.com/rDCU48qxWp

— Terry McAuliffe (@TerryMcAuliffe) May 26, 2017

The governor announced Friday that Lickinghole Creek Craft Brewery will invest over $14 million.
He says they will open a new production brewery here in Lynchburg that will complement the current facility in Goochland.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby IchabodCrane84 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:30 pm

What was on tap for the beer pairing tonight at Square One with Funky Buddha.

Although I'm not a fan of some types of beer served, they were all well crafted and paired perfectly with the food. I even liked the blueberry which was more a blueberry cobbler.
IchabodCrane84

Postby PrimeMinister » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:01 pm

Not a beer drinker (strongly prefer liquor & mixed drinks), but this thread is a fun read.
PrimeMinister

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic