All Things Beer

General Discussion on any Off Topic subject
Re: All Things Beer

Postby bucfanclw » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:33 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:In one of my classes kids have to do industry reports -- one of course chose to do beer.

With all the consolidations and M&As, we don't have a really large American owned mass beer producer anymore...Pabst is the biggest at just over 2% market share

I know lots here don't really like the watered down flavor of a Coors Light or something like that, but I do.

I contend that American style lagers have their place in the beer universe, but that place is in the summer. This is Porter and Stout season.

On nitro. Nitro makes the holidays brighter.
bucfanclw

Postby NYBF » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:48 pm

bucfanclw wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:I contend that American style lagers have their place in the beer universe, but that place is in the summer. This is Porter and Stout season.

On nitro. Nitro makes the holidays brighter.

Last night I had a brown ale made with waffles, chocolate syrup, and lactose sugar (Stranger Things inspired). They then took that beer, let it sit on cherries, and ran it through nitro. Man...
NYBF

Postby Bucs N Beers » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:09 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:In case you haven't tried it...The maple version is better.

Fuuuuuuuuuudge that sounds awesome.
Bucs N Beers

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:28 pm

Bucs N Beers wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:In case you haven't tried it...The maple version is better.

Almost $40 per bottle, but it is great.
uscbucsfan

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:00 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
Bucs N Beers wrote:

Almost $40 per bottle, but it is great.

Now this brings us to one of my gripes.

Craft brewers are inflating the beer market.

I get that these brewers are creating unique flavors and higher quality breed than the mass marketed stuff we grew up with and by doing so have raised the bar, but there's no beer under God's hot sun that is worth $40 a serving.

Beer is the glorious concoction passed down from millenia that is of, by, and for hard working people and the attempt to gentrify this wonderfully simple thing has driven up the cost of all but the cheapest brews beyond what many hard working people whom the beer is meant for in the first place can make with an hour's labor.

Whatever happened to nickel beer night? It was replaced with $4 draft happy hour. And craft beer shares a portion of the blame for this injustice.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:34 pm

How is it not worth the money? It's a limited release that sold out almost immediately. Seems like they priced it just fine.
uscbucsfan

Postby Kress » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:08 am

uscbucsfan wrote:It's why we have the best beer in the world

Germany holding on line 2, Ireland on 3, and crap, now Belgium is buzzing in.
Kress

Postby uscbucsfan » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:39 am

I've lived in Germany (2 years) and England(3 years). It's not close. Germany has regulations on their beer making so they do not have variety. England has similar issues. America has everything they have and infinitely more options. That sterotype is out of date. The craft beer craze puts us at the top easily. Again, it's not even close.
uscbucsfan

Postby uscbucsfan » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:57 am

While I don't think it's subjective that America is the best in beer because of the variety. My opinion is that if you pick the best brewery from each of those countries, I think theres 1-2 better breweries in most states. I mean, even in SC, I'd put Westbrook or Birds Fly South against any of them. NC has maybe 6 I'd put above anything in England, Germany, Belgium, or Ireland. I'm a huge beer drinker, so I did visit many breweries in those countries.

edit: Just out of curiosity, can you name 5 breweries from each of those countries without Googling? Most cannot. In fact I've asked people that before in person and many can't name any from those countries outside of Guinness or Delirium Tremens(which is a beer, not the brewer).
Last edited by uscbucsfan on Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
uscbucsfan

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:12 am

uscbucsfan wrote:How is it not worth the money? It's a limited release that sold out almost immediately. Seems like they priced it just fine.

Hipsters
Mountaineer Buc

Postby NYBF » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:51 am

uscbucsfan wrote:How is it not worth the money? It's a limited release that sold out almost immediately. Seems like they priced it just fine.

Don't let the fact that something which was "limited" and then sold out mean it is worth the price they're charging for it. Every Bourbon County variation is "limited" and sells out. And the last how many years one of the variants was infected? If you're one of the people who bought a bottle and then missed goose island's incredibly narrow return window, I doubt you think your purchase was worth it.
NYBF

Postby Bucs N Beers » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:14 am

All craft beers upcharge their specialty items, but EvilTwin is notoriously expensive. Throw in the fact that it's a collab, maple, bourbon, limited release? It does not surprise me one bit that it was $40. The one I had previously (the non-maple version of the same beer) was around $20. These are also 22oz bombers so they are almost 2 beers, but still definitely overpriced. There is some EvilTwin can beers at the store for $8-$10. They're just expensive.
Bucs N Beers

Postby Selmon Rules » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:57 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:I've lived in Germany (2 years) and England(3 years). It's not close. Germany has regulations on their beer making so they do not have variety. England has similar issues. America has everything they have and infinitely more options. That sterotype is out of date. The craft beer craze puts us at the top easily. Again, it's not even close.

If you want to say the US has the biggest variety of quality beer, that's fine.... But I'd still take a traditional German bier (Pilsner, Helles, Hefe Weisen, or Dunkel) over any of the artsy, fruity infused concoctions being brewed up today. IPA beers became a contest to see who could cram the most hops in their beer and created some of the most unpalatable beer on the market, too bitter to drink....

To the Pit of Misery!!!
Sig currently being held hostage by Photobucket, will return next fall
Selmon Rules

Postby Kress » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:36 pm

As far as stout is concerned, don't put Guinness over Murphy's.

Othetrwise:

Smithwicks
Beamish
Harp
Kilkenny
O'Hara
Kinnegar
Trouble
Boundary
Fulcrum
Galway Bay

That's off the top of my head.

Just googled:

http://www.belgiansmaak.com/irish-beers-to-try-in-2015/
Kress

Postby Rocker » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:01 pm

Harp is fantastic.
Rocker

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:06 pm

Selmon Rules wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:I've lived in Germany (2 years) and England(3 years). It's not close. Germany has regulations on their beer making so they do not have variety. England has similar issues. America has everything they have and infinitely more options. That sterotype is out of date. The craft beer craze puts us at the top easily. Again, it's not even close.

If you want to say the US has the biggest variety of quality beer, that's fine.... But I'd still take a traditional German bier (Pilsner, Helles, Hefe Weisen, or Dunkel) over any of the artsy, fruity infused concoctions being brewed up today. IPA beers became a contest to see who could cram the most hops in their beer and created some of the most unpalatable beer on the market, too bitter to drink....

To the Pit of Misery!!!

Preach!
Mountaineer Buc

Postby NYBF » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:36 pm

Selmon Rules wrote:

To the Pit of Misery!!!

Don't forget the shitbag brewers adding flour to make their IPAs mimic the stupid New England style.
NYBF

Postby The Outsider » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:53 pm

Selmon Rules wrote:

To the Pit of Misery!!!

Yeah, Paulaner's Oktoberfest Marzen is my over all favorite beer. I also agree about the IPAs at this point it's gone too far and is frankly played out.
The Outsider

Postby NYBF » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:02 pm

NYBF wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:Founders Canadian Breakfast Stout is really good.

Couldn't find any around here without waiting on a ridiculous line. No thanks.

Went to my distributor this morning to pick up beer for today. Grabbed some, walked up to the register. As the guy is ringing me up, I turn around to talk to one of the guys who work there, and 3' away from me is a full, open case of CBS. I've never had it before, so I grabbed one.
NYBF

Previous

Return to Off Topic