Official Superhero Discussion Thread

General Discussion on any Off Topic subject
Re: Official Superhero Discussion Thread

Postby Phantom Phenom » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:16 am

CNN)Disney has parted ways with director James Gunn after a number of what the studio called "indefensible" tweets he wrote years ago resurfaced.

"The offensive attitudes and statements discovered on James' Twitter feed are indefensible and inconsistent with our studio's values, and we have severed our business relationship with him," Alan Horn, chairman of The Walt Disney Studios, said in a statement obtained by CNN.
Gunn had come under fire in recent days after his comments, which made references to pedophilia and molestation, came to light.
On Thursday, Gunn acknowledged the attention his previous social media comments were getting in a series of tweets.

"Many people who have followed my career know when I started, I viewed myself as a provocateur, making movies and telling jokes that were outrageous and taboo. As I have discussed publicly many times, as I've developed as a person, so has my work and my humor," he wrote. "It's not to say I'm better, but I am very, very different than I was a few years ago; today I try to root my work in love and connection and less in anger. My days saying something just because it's shocking and trying to get a reaction are over."
He added: "For the record, when I made these shocking jokes, I wasn't living them out. I know this is a weird statement to make, and seems obvious, but, still, here I am, saying it."
A representative for Gunn has not returned CNN's request for further comment.
After working in low-budget filmmaking (including a stint at Troma Studios), Gunn made his directing debut in 2006 with "Slither," followed by the superhero spoof, "Super."
He was considered a somewhat unorthodox choice when Marvel tapped him to direct "Guardians of the Galaxy," but the movie garnered critical acclaim and became a major hit. The movie and its sequel -- which he also wrote and directed -- have grossed more than $1.6 billion worldwide.
In addition to the third "Guardians," it was announced last year that Gunn was working on a revival of the TV show "Starsky and Hutch" for Amazon.
As recently as last week, Gunn had been teasing other future projects, including an announcement set to be made at the same time as the Sony Pictures panel on Friday evening at San Diego Comic-Con on the convention's biggest stage -- Hall H.
Cryptically, Gunn wrote in a Facebook post that the announcement would be "something dark, sweet, and special."
Gunn's appearance was never confirmed by Sony.
A studio insider told CNN that Gunn was not expected to be part of the panel as of Friday afternoon
Phantom Phenom

Postby Deja Entendu » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:26 am

Shazam looks like it'll be fun:

Deja Entendu

Postby Bootz2004 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:31 am

Deja Entendu wrote:Shazam looks like it'll be fun:

Wow that does look fun. It's a bit corny but it doesn't feel corny. Can't wait.
Bootz2004

Postby RedLeader » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:43 am

A lot of good trailers came out during comic-con this week.

Godzilla looks badass.
RedLeader

Postby Super K » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:33 pm

RedLeader wrote:A lot of good trailers came out during comic-con this week.

Godzilla looks badass.

Couldn't agree more... that movies looks SO fuckin awesome!

Been a Godzilla fan/nerd since I was young...there is absolutely no movie I've been looking forward to more since '14...

And that includes "Infinity War" and Marvel's version of "Spiderman"...
Super K

Postby Super K » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:35 pm

Side note....I'm about as conservative as they come and James Gun has been a very vocal advocate for the Left...

That being said, him getting persecuted for those comments is complete horseshit....hell, worse had been typed on this board many, many times...

This country needs to get a grip..
Super K

Postby Deja Entendu » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:05 am

Can't wait for this either:

Spoiler:

Spoiler for anyone hasn't seen Split. Marketing for this is going to be hard to avoid, but I'll still be considerate. Also, if this applies to you, then you really should watch Split.
Deja Entendu

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:13 am

Phantom Phenom wrote:
CNN)Disney has parted ways with director James Gunn after a number of what the studio called "indefensible" tweets he wrote years ago resurfaced.

"The offensive attitudes and statements discovered on James' Twitter feed are indefensible and inconsistent with our studio's values, and we have severed our business relationship with him," Alan Horn, chairman of The Walt Disney Studios, said in a statement obtained by CNN.
Gunn had come under fire in recent days after his comments, which made references to pedophilia and molestation, came to light.
On Thursday, Gunn acknowledged the attention his previous social media comments were getting in a series of tweets.

"Many people who have followed my career know when I started, I viewed myself as a provocateur, making movies and telling jokes that were outrageous and taboo. As I have discussed publicly many times, as I've developed as a person, so has my work and my humor," he wrote. "It's not to say I'm better, but I am very, very different than I was a few years ago; today I try to root my work in love and connection and less in anger. My days saying something just because it's shocking and trying to get a reaction are over."
He added: "For the record, when I made these shocking jokes, I wasn't living them out. I know this is a weird statement to make, and seems obvious, but, still, here I am, saying it."
A representative for Gunn has not returned CNN's request for further comment.
After working in low-budget filmmaking (including a stint at Troma Studios), Gunn made his directing debut in 2006 with "Slither," followed by the superhero spoof, "Super."
He was considered a somewhat unorthodox choice when Marvel tapped him to direct "Guardians of the Galaxy," but the movie garnered critical acclaim and became a major hit. The movie and its sequel -- which he also wrote and directed -- have grossed more than $1.6 billion worldwide.
In addition to the third "Guardians," it was announced last year that Gunn was working on a revival of the TV show "Starsky and Hutch" for Amazon.
As recently as last week, Gunn had been teasing other future projects, including an announcement set to be made at the same time as the Sony Pictures panel on Friday evening at San Diego Comic-Con on the convention's biggest stage -- Hall H.
Cryptically, Gunn wrote in a Facebook post that the announcement would be "something dark, sweet, and special."
Gunn's appearance was never confirmed by Sony.
A studio insider told CNN that Gunn was not expected to be part of the panel as of Friday afternoon

And with that they might as well cancel Guardians 3. This franchise was James Gunn. He pretty much had way more creative control as any MCU director and wrote his own screenplays for the movies. Most of the actors and crew were brought in by him and have worked with him for years. His brother Sean played a HUGE parts in both films both on and off screen. Oh and the big stars of the films, Chris Pratt, Dave Bautista, Zoe Saldana and Karen Gillan have all spoken out about the firing and are not happy about it. This was a knee jerk stupid decision by Disney and Marvel.
Bootz2004

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:14 am

Super K wrote:Side note....I'm about as conservative as they come and James Gun has been a very vocal advocate for the Left...

That being said, him getting persecuted for those comments is complete horseshit....hell, worse had been typed on this board many, many times...

Worse has been said by the guy sitting in the White House as president.
Bootz2004

Postby PrimeMinister » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:25 am

Bad move by Disney. Gunn will be working for the DCEU in 2 years.
PrimeMinister

Postby Nano » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:55 pm

Super K wrote:
RedLeader wrote:A lot of good trailers came out during comic-con this week.

Godzilla looks badass.

Couldn't agree more... that movies looks SO fuckin awesome!

Been a Godzilla fan/nerd since I was young...there is absolutely no movie I've been looking forward to more since '14...

And that includes "Infinity War" and Marvel's version of "Spiderman"...

Godzilla does look awesome. Really interested to see how they show the other monsters in the movie because for the most part, they've never really all been in a big theatrical release(at least in America) in a while.

For those that haven't seen it

Nano

Postby terrytate » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:16 pm

Super K wrote:Side note....I'm about as conservative as they come and James Gun has been a very vocal advocate for the Left...

Agreed on all counts. Political debate these days is all about stifling anyone who sings a different tune.

That Godzilla trailer does look fantastic, but so did the last one.

That Shazam movie does look like goofy fun, something DC needed to figure out how to do. I am a Zach Levi fan, hoping for the best.
terrytate

Postby Buc You » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:45 am

Bootz2004 wrote: This was a knee jerk stupid decision by Disneyand Marvel.

Nope, this was 100% Disney. The decision came from higher up than Marvel Studios.
Buc You

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:56 pm

Mountaineer Buc

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:34 pm

The entire Guardians of the Galaxy cast released an open letter in full support of James Gunn and are calling for his reinstatement as director.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bl3OVfeF8Dc ... e=ig_embed

I'm an idiot and idk how to post IG pics on this forum. But this thing could get ugly.
Bootz2004

Postby MJW » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:41 am

I agree with everything you said.

I also have zero sympathy for Gunn. Two months ago he was one of the MOST vocal advocates for Roseanne getting fired. If you're going to apply a "stupid **** on twitter" standard for firing, you better not have a history of posting stupid **** on twitter.

I'm hoping this culture of twitter outrage dies a quick and painful death regardless. But it won't. The right got a scalp. Now the left is going to go after someone else. So on and so forth. There's no end in sight until people stop posting stupid **** on twitter, which seems unlikely.
MJW

Postby MJW » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:46 am

Bootz2004 wrote:The entire Guardians of the Galaxy cast released an open letter in full support of James Gunn and are calling for his reinstatement as director.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bl3OVfeF8Dc ... e=ig_embed

I'm an idiot and idk how to post IG pics on this forum. But this thing could get ugly.

They're under contract, yes? Very few actors are willing to breach contract for any reason, much less a non-career oriented reason. I did some internet research and it seems like it's been DECADES since that happened. So I imagine there will be one more, or however they're contracted for. And I'd expect the cast to be professionals. The funny thing about actors who studios can't count on? They stop getting work. Ask Val Kilmer, Edward Norton, etc.

FWIW, I would love Taika Waititi to get the gig. He would knock it out of the park. With Thor kind of running it's course, it would be an ideal way to go for both parties.
MJW

Postby bucfanclw » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:59 am

Muslim Brotherhood & Planet of the Apes had a baby = vj

George Soros is a Nazi who turned in his fellow Jews 2 be murdered in German concentration camps & stole their wealth

vs.

This hotel shower is the weakest ever. Felt like a 3 year old peeing on my head

Three Men and a Baby They Had Sex With #unromanticmovies

Yeah, I don't see any difference there, either.
bucfanclw

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:27 am

I saw an article that Gunn might be reinstated. Which imo would be the right thing to do. Unless there is evidence of him actually being a pedo I don't believe distasteful jokes (even though there were alot an they weren't even funny) should get a person fired.

That said, Hollywood is largely responsible for this outrage culture and weaponizing these mobs, so I don't have a ton of sympathy for when one of their own gets swallowed up by it.

I thought the letter the cast published was perfect. I just wish it didn't have to come as a result of one of their own being a target is all.

Everyone needs to stop apologizing and pandering to social media mobs.
DreadNaught

Postby MJW » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:15 pm

DreadNaught wrote:I saw an article that Gunn might be reinstated. Which imo would be the right thing to do. Unless there is evidence of him actually being a pedo I don't believe distasteful jokes (even though there were alot an they weren't even funny) should get a person fired.

That said, Hollywood is largely responsible for this outrage culture and weaponizing these mobs, so I don't have a ton of sympathy for when one of their own gets swallowed up by it.

I thought the letter the cast published was perfect. I just wish it didn't have to come as a result of one of their own being a target is all.

Everyone needs to stop apologizing and pandering to social media mobs.

Agree with what you're saying, except here's the thing - they fired him because of social media outrage, which is bad. Would hiring him back because of social media outrage be better? It seems like you're just feed the other head of the same beast. I just kind of wish an ADULT would step up to a Disney mic and say, "Yeah, we're going to do what's best for GOTG3, and if you don't like it you don't have to see it" and go from there, with no other considerations.
MJW

Postby VauntedTampa2 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:49 am

People will see the movie whether Gunn is directing or not.
VauntedTampa2

Postby Crocaneers » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:02 pm

HOLD ON ... Captain Marvel trailer could break today..

Brie Larson tweeted 16 hours ago "Hey @EW I’m bored. Wanna break the Internet tomorrow?"

Crocaneers

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:09 am

Henry Cavil is officially OUT as Superman in the DCEU.

Just kill that franchise already. This is coming from a person who watches everyone movie in this genre and owns many of them.

Start fresh with a new DCEU in a couple years.
DreadNaught

Postby Super K » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:43 am

Meh...never really likes him in that role anyway...

IMO, both he and Routh were like wax statues playing the character..

Cavil, I guess, showed more emotion, but it was all anger..which didn't fit Supes at all imo...
Super K

Postby PrimeMinister » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:50 am

Yeah at this point you just have to start it all over. That’s too bad because I really think Shazam and Aquaman will both do well for the DCEU.
PrimeMinister

Postby Teitan » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:00 pm

Should probably scrap it all but WW.

Superman is kind of a boring character though.

Imagine a world where Heath Ledger didn’t die and Christopher Nolan oversaw a DCU.
Teitan

Postby PrimeMinister » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:04 pm

Teitan wrote:Should probably scrap it all but WW.

Imagine a world where Heath Ledger didn’t die and Christopher Nolan oversaw a DCU.

To be fair to Cavill he played the angry boring Superman he was asked to play. DCEU thought that version of Supes would go over with fans, but damn were they wrong.
PrimeMinister

Postby beardmcdoug » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:22 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
Teitan wrote:Should probably scrap it all but WW.

To be fair to Cavill he played the angry boring Superman he was asked to play. DCEU thought that version of Supes would go over with fans, but damn were they wrong.

still one of the greatest trailers ever IMO...

beardmcdoug

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:34 pm

Man of Steel was great, but they let the Batman fan-children write for Superman which is something I've bitched about in this thread before.

Cavill looked the part, but as others have said, the writing for him was for ****. Especially in BvS.

Too bad that DC fumbled this so hard. In terms of actors lined up, I thought they did great. But they just plain rushed it too fast. Pity.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:37 pm

The good news is that they are rolling this back out to theaters soon for the anniversary

I contend that Superman the Movie is STILL the best Superhero film ever made.
Mountaineer Buc

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic