Official Superhero Discussion Thread

General Discussion on any Off Topic subject
Re: Official Superhero Discussion Thread

Postby Miller4Prez64 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:04 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:On average, DCEU films are grossing more at U.S. box offices than MCU films.

This is a comparison that is silly to make. The DCEU is only four films currently where as the MCU has 16 to go on. Plus, the interest in superhero movies has boomed because of the MCU. The better comparison will be to see how Justice League stacks up with the Avengers movies at the box office.
Miller4Prez64

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:23 pm

Miller4Prez64 wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:On average, DCEU films are grossing more at U.S. box offices than MCU films.

This is a comparison that is silly to make. The DCEU is only four films currently where as the MCU has 16 to go on. Plus, the interest in superhero movies has boomed because of the MCU. The better comparison will be to see how Justice League stacks up with the Avengers movies at the box office.

It's not silly. It's an immutable fact. DCEU is making more in this country than the MCU is. Likewise the MCU is far more popular and makes more internationally than the DCEU.
Bootz2004

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:24 pm

Miller4Prez64 wrote:

Just stop there...Bootz has his own version of selective logic...
uscbucsfan

Postby PrimeMinister » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:30 pm

DCEU should gross more. It has the more iconic characters where Marvel is largely working with the B team and crushing it.
PrimeMinister

Postby PrimeMinister » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:36 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:
If true that's not surprising. DCEU has worse films, but far more recognizable characters. Marvel sold off so many of their main characters (Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, X-Men etc) and have built a universe using characters like Guardians of the Galaxy, Ant-Man, Iron Man etc. When DCEU has Superman and Batman the two largest comic book characters by a mile it makes sense that would gross more.

Not exactly. Suicide Squad grossed more than Man of Steel, even if you factor inflation. And a lot of people were skeptical that a movie based on villians acting as heros would succeed. Villians most of the general public had never even heard of.

It's also clear as to who the MCU is built around and trust me, it's not the Guardians or Ant-Man. Iron Man, Hulk, Captain America and Thor, all very well known and established characters in comic book history. The "main characters" you mentioned haven't grossed as much at the box office as you might expect either. Not even the new Spiderman movie, which is being outpaced by both Guardians of the Galaxy and Wonder Woman. It's really something interesting to think about and it goes far beyond Superman & Batman.

Being well established in comic books isn't the same as being a household name. Of the characters the MCU is based on Captain America and Hulk were the only two who could be considered "household" names. Iron Man was established, but not a household name. Conversely Batman & Superman should out gross the entire MCU roster. Marvel's best characters are with Fox & Sony (Fantastic 4, X-Men & Spiderman).

Edit: There is a reason before 2008 big budget comic movies largely revolved around the same few characters/groups (X-Men, Fantastic 4, Spider-Man, Superman, Batman). These were the household names. Marvel has changed what is a household superhero with the MCU.
Last edited by PrimeMinister on Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PrimeMinister

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:38 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:DCEU should gross more. It has the more iconic characters where Marvel is largely working with the B team and crushing it.

I'd hardly call Iron Man, the Hulk and Captain America "B team". Suicide Squad made more domestically than all 3 of those characters 1st films. You're going to tell me Dead Shot and Killer Croc are more iconic than Iron Man or Hulk?
Bootz2004

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:42 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:
Not exactly. Suicide Squad grossed more than Man of Steel, even if you factor inflation. And a lot of people were skeptical that a movie based on villians acting as heros would succeed. Villians most of the general public had never even heard of.

It's also clear as to who the MCU is built around and trust me, it's not the Guardians or Ant-Man. Iron Man, Hulk, Captain America and Thor, all very well known and established characters in comic book history. The "main characters" you mentioned haven't grossed as much at the box office as you might expect either. Not even the new Spiderman movie, which is being outpaced by both Guardians of the Galaxy and Wonder Woman. It's really something interesting to think about and it goes far beyond Superman & Batman.

Being well established in comic books isn't the same as being a household name. Of the characters the MCU is based on Captain America and Hulk were the only two who could be considered "household" names. Iron Man was established, but not a household name. Conversely Batman & Superman should out gross the entire MCU roster. Marvel's best characters are with Fox & Sony (Fantastic 4, X-Men & Spiderman).

Fantastic Four has had 3 films and has been a big failure in the box office. Xmen has been okay but not great. The highest grossing film from the Xmen series is actually Deadpool, who is NOT a "household name". Spiderman came out this year and has made less than WW AND Guardians of the Galaxy.
Bootz2004

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:46 pm

Suicide Squad and BOTH Guardians of the Galaxy made more domestically than any Xmen or Fantastic Four film.....#HouseholdNames
Bootz2004

Postby PrimeMinister » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:01 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:Suicide Squad and BOTH Guardians of the Galaxy made more domestically than any Xmen or Fantastic Four film.....#HouseholdNames

GotG were great movies. That's kinda my point about the MCU. They make more than they should. F4 might be the worst movie in the last decade by a mile. Hulk was trash as well (both Hulk films). Suicide Squad rode the wave of the DCEU launching. None of the X-Men films is as good as the MCU (maybe Logan?).

I think you and I actually agree.
PrimeMinister

Postby PrimeMinister » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:01 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:

Fantastic Four has had 3 films and has been a big failure in the box office. Xmen has been okay but not great. The highest grossing film from the Xmen series is actually Deadpool, who is NOT a "household name". Spiderman came out this year and has made less than WW AND Guardians of the Galaxy.

You're still making my point.
PrimeMinister

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:11 pm

You made a point that household names make more yet that hasn't been the case.
Bootz2004

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:15 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:Suicide Squad and BOTH Guardians of the Galaxy made more domestically than any Xmen or Fantastic Four film.....#HouseholdNames

GotG were great movies. That's kinda my point about the MCU. They make more than they should. F4 might be the worst movie in the last decade by a mile. Hulk was trash as well (both Hulk films). Suicide Squad rode the wave of the DCEU launching. None of the X-Men films is as good as the MCU (maybe Logan?).

Critics bombed Suicide Squad yet it made more than most MCU films domestically. Don't give me this "they rode of the of the DCEU" nonsense. DC has been very inconsistent with the releasing of movies. 3 years between Man of Steel and Batman vs Superman. And here we stand today. Wonder Woman is outpacing Spiderman, a household name.
Bootz2004

Postby Teitan » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:21 pm

I watched GoTG2 last night. Wasn't overly impressed. Definitely not close to as good as the first one.
Teitan

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:22 pm

Teitan wrote:I watched GoTG2 last night. Wasn't overly impressed. Definitely not close to as good as the first one.

You're a tough critic to please, man lol.
Bootz2004

Postby Teitan » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:09 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Teitan wrote:I watched GoTG2 last night. Wasn't overly impressed. Definitely not close to as good as the first one.

You're a tough critic to please, man lol.

I definitely want to watch it again while my daughter is at daycare lol. It was kinda Avengers vs Avengers: AoU for me, though.

I enjoyed it, but it almost felt like they were going for cheap laughs and the cast was broken up too much. I liked the Nebula and Yandu storylines though.
Teitan

Postby Super K » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:32 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:

Critics bombed Suicide Squad yet it made more than most MCU films domestically. Don't give me this "they rode of the of the DCEU" nonsense. DC has been very inconsistent with the releasing of movies. 3 years between Man of Steel and Batman vs Superman. And here we stand today. Wonder Woman is outpacing Spiderman, a household name.

Yeah but we're talking about the 6th Spidey film and 3rd reboot/origin type story compared to the big screen debut of a member of the DC hero Trinity..

AND let's not act like WW being a female lead superhero didn't add to the film's take..
Super K

Postby PrimeMinister » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:41 pm

Super K wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

Yeah but we're talking about the 6th Spidey film and 3rd reboot/origin type story compared to the big screen debut of a member of the DC hero Trinity..

AND let's not act like WW being a female lead superhero didn't add to the film's take..

And WW being a REALLY good movie helps.
PrimeMinister

Postby Phantom Phenom » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:10 am

Thought it's interesting if DC decide to do the Flash: Flashpoint film. It might affect batman and joker alternate world

Bruce Wayne is not Batman.

Joker is a woman

FLASHPOINT EXPLAINED: WHAT IS THE DC COMICS FLASH STORY?
Barry Allen created the darkest timeline.

Warner Bros. has big plans in mind for Ezra Miller's The Flash. Not only will the Scarlet Speedster play a prominent role in the Justice League movie this November, but he'll also be the star of another upcoming DC Extended Universe film, The Flash: Flashpoint. This new movie will adapt the comic book storyline of the same name and introduce a dramatically different version of the DC Universe on the big screen.

By now, the "Flashpoint" name probably rings a bell with a lot of DC fans, as this isn't the first time the comics have been adapted for a different medium. But if you're not sure why this story is so significant, here's everything you need to know about the epic superhero crossover that's inspiring the blockbuster movie. Spoilers for the comics story follow.
flashpoint-main
The Basics

Many DC comics have offered glimpses of dark, alternate versions of the DCU, but few have had the impact or staying power of Flashpoint. In the Flashpoint timeline, the world has been brought to the brink of destruction by a prolonged war between Atlantis and Themyscira. As Wonder Woman and Aquaman's armies fight on, only Barry Allen retains any memory of the world as it once existed. But with his speed powers gone, Barry is forced join forces with heroes like Batman, Cyborg and Shazam to fix the timeline and restore the true DCU.
Flashpoint hinges on the revelation that it was actually Barry himself who caused this new timeline. The amnesic Barry eventually remembers that he used his speed to travel back in time and save his mother from being murdered by Reverse-Flash. That act caused a major butterfly effect, forcing Barry to accept that time isn't to be meddled with, no matter how noble the meddler's intentions.

Major Characters

Half the fun of the Flashpoint universe is seeing iconic DC characters twisted and warped by the altered timeline. There is no Justice league to speak of in this world. Aquaman and Wonder Woman are both too busy fighting each other to serve as heroes. Superman has spent his entire life trapped in a government facility, leaving him emaciated and terrified of the outside world. Hal Jordan never inherited the Green Lantern ring because Abin Sur never perished. In the absence of these heroes, Cyborg emerged as America's greatest metahuman protector.
flashpoint-wonder woman
But perhaps the most memorable subversion to take place in the Flashpoint timeline involves Batman. In this world, Bruce Wayne was killed by the mugger that fateful night, leaving his parents grief-stricken. Thomas Wayne instead serves as the Batman of this world, while Martha Wayne was driven so mad by her grief that she became the Joker. Thomas was motivated to help Flash not out of a selfless sense of heroism, but a desire to restore a world where his son still lives.
flashpoin-batman

Flashpoint also revolves heavily around the never-ending rivalry between Flash and Reverse-Flash. Eobard Thawne may not be the culprit behind Flashpoint
Phantom Phenom

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:24 am

That would be an interesting story, but it would confuse the hell out of moviegoers.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby eckrueger » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:36 pm

I haven't kept up with this conversation, nor have I looked into this data at all, but this link has a nifty table compare/contrast/rank these movies.

http://www.ultimatemovierankings.com/ma ... dc-movies/

Read some of the summary points at the end, and based on that seems like they are pretty evenly matched honestly. Although I think recent history favors Marvel as far as popularity and quality of movies goes. Financially though, appears similar.
eckrueger

Postby terrytate » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:43 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:

None of those are MCU films. They are Marvel comics IP's that had their film rights purchased by other companies before Marvel had it's own film studio.

Man of Steel, Batman vs Superman and Suicide Squad were all beaten by Marvel B-teamers Deadpool and the Guardians. The only really good DCEU movie is also the only one to crack the top 10, Wonder Woman. Otherwise, the top 10 is all Marvel, Raimi Spiderman and Nolan Batman.

That said, sales don't make for a good movie. Iron Man 3 was kind of weak yet it's one of the strongest performers in sales. Suicide Squad was weak yet it's far ahead of Ant Man and the first Iron Man.

Let's just hope that the all around success of Wonder Woman means that the DCEU is starting to click and we will see good movies out of them.
terrytate

Postby Caradoc » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:38 pm

I thought the newest Spider-Man was really well done, though I have some issue with the villain's backstory/motivation etc. But it was a great flick all in all. I've been watching more of these movies as I'm still recovering from surgery, they are mostly fun, but really CGI-driven. I'm holding out hope for a Micronauts movie.
Caradoc

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:17 am

Marvel's The Defenders was extremely well done. Very fun, very good series. I thought 8 episodes was too short but after watching it all 8 was perfect. The story moved very swiftly and they integrated all of the many characters pretty naturally. Also set up many possibilities for the future. But rebound for Marvel & Netflix after Iron Fist, who ironically really stood out in Defenders.
Bootz2004

Postby PrimeMinister » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:15 am

Wow I forgot that was coming out. Thanks for the reminder!
PrimeMinister

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:23 am

If you haven't seen much of the previous Netflix series you'll be lost in Defenders. There are elements of each series that are used. And it's not just a little here and a little there. They borrow from all of them.
Bootz2004

Postby PrimeMinister » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:27 am

Bootz2004 wrote:If you haven't seen much of the previous Netflix series you'll be lost in Defenders. There are elements of each series that are used. And it's not just a little here and a little there. They borrow from all of them.

I saw the previous series with the exception of completing IronFist. Still trudging through. It's. Just. Not. Good.

The other three series were excellent tv and writing. I enjoyed the both the characters and the action. The dialogue in Season 2 Daredevil & Luke Cage was top notch. If Defenders holds to those standards I'm going to love it.
PrimeMinister

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:30 am

PrimeMinister wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:If you haven't seen much of the previous Netflix series you'll be lost in Defenders. There are elements of each series that are used. And it's not just a little here and a little there. They borrow from all of them.

I saw the previous series with the exception of completing IronFist. Still trudging through. It's. Just. Not. Good.

The other three series were excellent tv and writing. I enjoyed the both the characters and the action. The dialogue in Season 2 Daredevil & Luke Cage was top notch. If Defenders holds to those standards I'm going to love it.

Yea Iron Fist was tough. But if there's a series that plays larger than the others in Defenders that would most certainly be the 1 unfortunately.
Bootz2004

Postby PrimeMinister » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:35 am

Of course. That would be my luck. Dammit! Ok well I guess I'm in for some mind numbing tv this weekend. Maybe I can just laugh through it?

Tell me this: Does the Iron Fist series get better as you watch?
PrimeMinister

Postby Teitan » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:36 am

I've only seen JJ and season 1 of Daredevil, which I liked both of. DD-S2 I just kept finding myself not paying attention. Only watched 1 EP of Cage. I'll need to do some catching up. Don't have the time these days to binge watch lol
Teitan

Postby PrimeMinister » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:37 am

Teitan wrote:I've only seen JJ and season 1 of Daredevil, which I liked both of. DD-S2 I just kept finding myself not paying attention. Only watched 1 EP of Cage. I'll need to do some catching up. Don't have the time these days to binge watch lol

DD-S2 is carried by a character not named Daredevil. The dialogue and interaction in that season is pretty great.
PrimeMinister

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic