Official Superhero Discussion Thread

General Discussion on any Off Topic subject
post

Re: Official Superhero Discussion Thread

Postby Miller4Prez64 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:19 pm

In awesome superhero news, CNBC is reporting the Disney/FOX deal is closing and could be announced next week. Marvel Studios will soon be complete.
Miller4Prez64
 
Posts: 2861
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:42 pm
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 73 times

Re: Official Superhero Discussion Thread

Postby Phantom Phenom » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:40 pm

Reminder that The Simpsons predicted the 20th Century Fox and Disney merger back in Season 10.

Image

Fox would sell movie and television production assets and keep its news, sports and broadcast network.
User avatar
Phantom Phenom
 
Posts: 3310
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:48 pm
Has thanked: 108 times
Been thanked: 34 times

Re: Official Superhero Discussion Thread

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:48 pm

How does Marvel fit in to this deal? This seems more about Disney wanting to take over the streaming industry. Hulu seems to be the main asset acquired in this deal.
User avatar
Bootz2004
 
Posts: 18357
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:17 pm
Has thanked: 98 times
Been thanked: 397 times

Re: Official Superhero Discussion Thread

Postby Phantom Phenom » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:48 pm

"still contend this is bad for consumers. One less major movie studio making films is one less option for filmmakers and storytellers. Fox, if owned by Disney, may entirely shift the kinds of films it makes, and whereas in the past you could go to Fox to try and sell your project if Disney passed, this now blurs those lines.

And for those who contend this would result in Marvel Studios-quality reboots of X-Men, Fantastic Four, etc., don’t hold your breath. The current Marvel Studios regime is already stretched pretty thin making three films a year, so if they expanded that number to five (assuming Fox would still make 1-3 superhero movies a year), the creative oversight folks have become accustomed to from Marvel Studios head Kevin Feige becomes impossible to manage. Getting three Marvel movies like Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, Spider-Man: Homecoming, and Thor; Ragnarok in the same year that Fox puts out something as wildly different (and R-rated) as Logan could become a thing of the past. Moreover, Fox and Marvel Studios would no longer be competitors—ultimately they’d play for the same team—so how would this affect what kinds of films that could be made and when they’re released?


"Moreover, would Disney ever allow a greenlight for a movie like A Cure for Wellness or Alien: Covenant? Fox has been making ambitious moves recently, allowing talented filmmakers to have a lot of creative freedom on expensive projects, but that’s kind of the opposite of the Disney model, which values IP above all else. Would Fox’s identity get completely lost in this sale?"
User avatar
Phantom Phenom
 
Posts: 3310
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:48 pm
Has thanked: 108 times
Been thanked: 34 times

Re: Official Superhero Discussion Thread

Postby Miller4Prez64 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:54 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:How does Marvel fit in to this deal? This seems more about Disney wanting to take over the streaming industry. Hulu seems to be the main asset acquired in this deal.


I agree that Hulu would be the #1 win for Disney. They already own 30% and they would take the 30% FOX owns, giving them controlling interest and could see Hulu transition into that Disney streaming service that was announced. Another key factor for Disney is that FOX owns full distribution rights for A New Hope, this allows Disney to take full control of all Star Wars media too. Disney also gets the animation studio that makes Ice Age and Rio movies. On top of that live action franchises like Alien, Predator, Planet of the Apes, Avatar (this is HUGE, especially since they just added an Avatar Land to Disney World) and Kingsman. Then you factor in the TV properties that Disney gains, it's crazy. It falls under the radar but The Simpsons may soon be under Mickey's control as well. This is a huge game changing deal, and the word is that Disney may be paying 60 BILLION to make this happen.
Miller4Prez64
 
Posts: 2861
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:42 pm
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 73 times

Re: Official Superhero Discussion Thread

Postby Phantom Phenom » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:13 pm

how awesome.. Professor X might share the screen with Groot in 10 years! :roll:
User avatar
Phantom Phenom
 
Posts: 3310
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:48 pm
Has thanked: 108 times
Been thanked: 34 times

Re: Official Superhero Discussion Thread

Postby Miller4Prez64 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:16 pm

Phantom Phenom wrote:how awesome.. Professor X might share the screen with Groot in 10 years! :roll:


I'd rather watch that than any of the Fox X-Men movies except DoFP.
Miller4Prez64
 
Posts: 2861
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:42 pm
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 73 times

Re: Official Superhero Discussion Thread

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:27 pm

Miller4Prez64 wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:How does Marvel fit in to this deal? This seems more about Disney wanting to take over the streaming industry. Hulu seems to be the main asset acquired in this deal.


I agree that Hulu would be the #1 win for Disney. They already own 30% and they would take the 30% FOX owns, giving them controlling interest and could see Hulu transition into that Disney streaming service that was announced. Another key factor for Disney is that FOX owns full distribution rights for A New Hope, this allows Disney to take full control of all Star Wars media too. Disney also gets the animation studio that makes Ice Age and Rio movies. On top of that live action franchises like Alien, Predator, Planet of the Apes, Avatar (this is HUGE, especially since they just added an Avatar Land to Disney World) and Kingsman. Then you factor in the TV properties that Disney gains, it's crazy. It falls under the radar but The Simpsons may soon be under Mickey's control as well. This is a huge game changing deal, and the word is that Disney may be paying 60 BILLION to make this happen.


I just don’t see Disney deciding to spend all that money to dust off old franchises and rebooting them. Especially if they don’t have to. Yes, they can now control their TV broadcast distribution but I’d be willing to bet they would make all of these franchises and movies viewable exclusively on the streaming service. That’s direction society is heading and this is Disney staying ahead of the curve.
User avatar
Bootz2004
 
Posts: 18357
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:17 pm
Has thanked: 98 times
Been thanked: 397 times

Re: Official Superhero Discussion Thread

Postby Miller4Prez64 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:58 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Miller4Prez64 wrote:
I agree that Hulu would be the #1 win for Disney. They already own 30% and they would take the 30% FOX owns, giving them controlling interest and could see Hulu transition into that Disney streaming service that was announced. Another key factor for Disney is that FOX owns full distribution rights for A New Hope, this allows Disney to take full control of all Star Wars media too. Disney also gets the animation studio that makes Ice Age and Rio movies. On top of that live action franchises like Alien, Predator, Planet of the Apes, Avatar (this is HUGE, especially since they just added an Avatar Land to Disney World) and Kingsman. Then you factor in the TV properties that Disney gains, it's crazy. It falls under the radar but The Simpsons may soon be under Mickey's control as well. This is a huge game changing deal, and the word is that Disney may be paying 60 BILLION to make this happen.


I just don’t see Disney deciding to spend all that money to dust off old franchises and rebooting them. Especially if they don’t have to. Yes, they can now control their TV broadcast distribution but I’d be willing to bet they would make all of these franchises and movies viewable exclusively on the streaming service. That’s direction society is heading and this is Disney staying ahead of the curve.


I agree with you. I don't expect any reboots of IPs moving over in this deal in the near future except for obviously the Marvel ones. But the amount they get from streaming and distributing some of these older classics is a big win for them plus Hulu.

EDIT: I'm also starting to think of how this deal effects the NFL too. I know FOX plans on keeping their sports division, but their channel will become Disney property so do they keep the NFL on FOX contract for games on Sundays or will FOX be able to keep those on FOX Sports 1 or some new channel? It will be interesting to see some details ironed out soon.
Miller4Prez64
 
Posts: 2861
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:42 pm
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 73 times

Re: Official Superhero Discussion Thread

Postby Deja Entendu » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:31 pm

Bringing up The Simpsons made me think one positive from all of this Fox/Disney stuff would be Universal losing the Simpsons ride and bringing back the Back to the Future ride it replaced/replicated.

Otherwise, eh I don't really care for massive conglomerates or how they can benefit by merging the Marvel universe. The quoted article above brought up some very good points about how this may be worse for films. Oh well, billion dollar companies are gonna do as they please.
Deja Entendu
 
Posts: 978
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:59 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 41 times

Re: Official Superhero Discussion Thread

Postby Miller4Prez64 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:38 pm

Deja Entendu wrote:Bringing up The Simpsons made me think one positive from all of this Fox/Disney stuff would be Universal losing the Simpsons ride and bringing back the Back to the Future ride it replaced/replicated.

Otherwise, eh I don't really care for massive conglomerates or how they can benefit by merging the Marvel universe. The quoted article above brought up some very good points about how this may be worse for films. Oh well, billion dollar companies are gonna do as they please.


I'm not sure if this would effect that at all yet. Universal got to keep all the Marvel stuff in IOA despite the Disney buyout. I'm not sure how tight the Simpsons contract with Universal is compared to Marvel's though. But even if it were replaced, I think Universal would go with a more modern relevant franchise to replace it. Rick and Morty comes to mind instantly.
Miller4Prez64
 
Posts: 2861
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:42 pm
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 73 times

Re: Official Superhero Discussion Thread

Postby Deja Entendu » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:46 pm

Miller4Prez64 wrote:
Deja Entendu wrote:Bringing up The Simpsons made me think one positive from all of this Fox/Disney stuff would be Universal losing the Simpsons ride and bringing back the Back to the Future ride it replaced/replicated.

Otherwise, eh I don't really care for massive conglomerates or how they can benefit by merging the Marvel universe. The quoted article above brought up some very good points about how this may be worse for films. Oh well, billion dollar companies are gonna do as they please.


I'm not sure if this would effect that at all yet. Universal got to keep all the Marvel stuff in IOA despite the Disney buyout. I'm not sure how tight the Simpsons contract with Universal is compared to Marvel's though. But even if it were replaced, I think Universal would go with a more modern relevant franchise to replace it. Rick and Morty comes to mind instantly.


I'm sure you're right... but why do you have to squash my dreams?!
Deja Entendu
 
Posts: 978
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:59 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 41 times

Re: Official Superhero Discussion Thread

Postby Buc You » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:19 am

Miller4Prez64 wrote:I agree with you. I don't expect any reboots of IPs moving over in this deal in the near future except for obviously the Marvel ones. But the amount they get from streaming and distributing some of these older classics is a big win for them plus Hulu.

EDIT: I'm also starting to think of how this deal effects the NFL too. I know FOX plans on keeping their sports division, but their channel will become Disney property so do they keep the NFL on FOX contract for games on Sundays or will FOX be able to keep those on FOX Sports 1 or some new channel? It will be interesting to see some details ironed out soon.

From what I've read, Fox as a whole isn't for sale, just some of their "stuff"(divisions, licenses, properties, etc) so they can shift to focus more on news & sports. So I'd say Fox as a channel as well as Fox News won't be altered much if at all by this. Those are the things Fox wants to focus on so they'll be protected from the sale.
Image
Buc You
 
Posts: 621
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:27 am
Has thanked: 136 times
Been thanked: 78 times

Re: Official Superhero Discussion Thread

Postby Miller4Prez64 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:26 pm

Buc You wrote:
Miller4Prez64 wrote:I agree with you. I don't expect any reboots of IPs moving over in this deal in the near future except for obviously the Marvel ones. But the amount they get from streaming and distributing some of these older classics is a big win for them plus Hulu.

EDIT: I'm also starting to think of how this deal effects the NFL too. I know FOX plans on keeping their sports division, but their channel will become Disney property so do they keep the NFL on FOX contract for games on Sundays or will FOX be able to keep those on FOX Sports 1 or some new channel? It will be interesting to see some details ironed out soon.

From what I've read, Fox as a whole isn't for sale, just some of their "stuff"(divisions, licenses, properties, etc) so they can shift to focus more on news & sports. So I'd say Fox as a channel as well as Fox News won't be altered much if at all by this. Those are the things Fox wants to focus on so they'll be protected from the sale.


Most of the reports I've heard say that Fox's main channel is going to Disney in the deal in some form. Plus, even if it wasn't what kind of content could Fox possibly put on that channel? They'd be selling all of their popular television properties over to the mouse.
Miller4Prez64
 
Posts: 2861
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:42 pm
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 73 times

Re: Official Superhero Discussion Thread

Postby Phantom Phenom » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:03 pm

User avatar
Phantom Phenom
 
Posts: 3310
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:48 pm
Has thanked: 108 times
Been thanked: 34 times

Re: Official Superhero Discussion Thread

Postby Phantom Phenom » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:07 pm

News of the possible acquisition deal between Disney and Fox has been exciting for Marvel fans now that the possibility of the Marvel Cinematic Universe at long last having its fully character catalog at its disposal is closer to reality than ever. But it turns out that fans might not be the only people eager to see the X-Men enter the MCU. Kevin Feige is reportedly eager, too.

A new report form Deadline discussing what a combined Disney-Fox powerhouse might look like specifically asked how the Fox film assets might fit within Disney's culture and revealed that, when it comes to the popular X-Men Universe, Marvel Studios president Feige is reportedly eager to get his hands on the property and bring them into the MCU.


As the report notes, Fox has several Marvel projects in the pipeline, including Deadpool 2, New Mutants, Dark Phoenix, Gambit, X-Force, as well as Multiple Man. With Feige's track record of success with superhero movies as well as the success of Marvel Studio's partnership with Sony on Spider-Man: Homecoming, Feige would have a huge opportunity to "cross-pollinate" the existing Marvel franchise heroes with the vast offerings of the X-Men world. Considering that Feige is responsible four of the 15 top grossing films of all time, it could be very lucrative for Disney.

Rumors of the Disney/Fox deal first began circulating in early November and, at the time, negotiations had stalled out. But later reports surfaced that the negotiations were back on with Fox favoring Disney over other potential buyers. The assets Disney is seeking to purchase are valued at as much as $67 billion with Disney's interest in Fox said to be largely influenced by wanting to regain film rights to all of the Marvel Comics characters. The rights to X-Men, Fantastic Four, and Deadpool are all currently held by 20th Century Fox.


And while Feige is reportedly excited about the movie potential of the merger, others related to the MCU are, too. Chris Evans, who plays Captain America, is already jokingly making movie pitches for the combined companies.

"So who do I talk to about a Cap/Human Torch buddy comedy spin-off? I'm thinking Planes, Trains and Automobiles meets Parent Trap," Evans wrote on Twitter, the joke being that before Evans was Captain America, he was Fox's Human Torch.



I don't think Disney will ever make Deadpool rated R movie
User avatar
Phantom Phenom
 
Posts: 3310
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:48 pm
Has thanked: 108 times
Been thanked: 34 times

Re: Official Superhero Discussion Thread

Postby Phantom Phenom » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:10 pm

Quentin Tarantino's 'Star Trek' movie will be Rated R
User avatar
Phantom Phenom
 
Posts: 3310
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:48 pm
Has thanked: 108 times
Been thanked: 34 times

Re: Official Superhero Discussion Thread

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:13 pm

I've seen others say Disney wouldn't do an 'R' rated Deadpool, but those people forget that Disney owns Touchstone Pictures (and Miramax) that has released multiple movies with an 'R' rating.
Image
User avatar
uscbucsfan
 
Posts: 2498
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:21 pm
Has thanked: 64 times
Been thanked: 70 times

Re: Official Superhero Discussion Thread

Postby Miller4Prez64 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:54 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:I've seen others say Disney wouldn't do an 'R' rated Deadpool, but those people forget that Disney owns Touchstone Pictures (and Miramax) that has released multiple movies with an 'R' rating.


Plus if the deal happens they can still release Deadpool movies under 21st Century FOX with the help of Marvel Studios. I doubt Disney shuts down the entire studio.
Miller4Prez64
 
Posts: 2861
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:42 pm
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 73 times

Re: Official Superhero Discussion Thread

Postby Teitan » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:06 pm

Really liking the Punisher 2 episodes in.
User avatar
Teitan
 
Posts: 2896
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:07 pm
Has thanked: 161 times
Been thanked: 115 times

Re: Official Superhero Discussion Thread

Postby RedLeader » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:11 pm

Indeed. Just started Punisher today. Liking it so far.
User avatar
RedLeader
 
Posts: 1729
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:27 pm
Has thanked: 50 times
Been thanked: 68 times

Re: Official Superhero Discussion Thread

Postby PrimeMinister » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:24 pm

The entire Punisher season was pretty awesome.
PrimeMinister
 
Posts: 6044
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:34 am
Has thanked: 27 times
Been thanked: 151 times

Re: Official Superhero Discussion Thread

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:00 pm

Punisher was probably my favorite Netflix Marvel series.
Image
User avatar
DreadNaught
 
Posts: 9330
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:18 am
Has thanked: 373 times
Been thanked: 376 times

Re: Official Superhero Discussion Thread

Postby PrimeMinister » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:24 pm

That actor is just perfect for the role. They also nailed the supporting characters especially Micro. Start to finish I enjoyed the Punisher. I’ve read complaints about “gratuitous violence”, but I found the violence to be just par for the course with this character. If anything I thought the season could have used a few more “Punisher vs 20 guys” scenes.
PrimeMinister
 
Posts: 6044
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:34 am
Has thanked: 27 times
Been thanked: 151 times

Re: Official Superhero Discussion Thread

Postby uscbucsfan » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:03 am

Punisher has bad acting and writing at times, but I'm really enjoying the show overall. My wife hated Daredevil, but she likes Punisher. That's a win for me.
Image
User avatar
uscbucsfan
 
Posts: 2498
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:21 pm
Has thanked: 64 times
Been thanked: 70 times

Re: Official Superhero Discussion Thread

Postby PrimeMinister » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:53 am

uscbucsfan wrote:Punisher has bad acting and writing at times, but I'm really enjoying the show overall. My wife hated Daredevil, but she likes Punisher. That's a win for me.


That’s surprising. Daredevil is probably the best of the bunch in regards to acting, action and writing.
PrimeMinister
 
Posts: 6044
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:34 am
Has thanked: 27 times
Been thanked: 151 times

Re: Official Superhero Discussion Thread

Postby uscbucsfan » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:16 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:Punisher has bad acting and writing at times, but I'm really enjoying the show overall. My wife hated Daredevil, but she likes Punisher. That's a win for me.


That’s surprising. Daredevil is probably the best of the bunch in regards to acting, action and writing.


I agree, but at least I get to watch Punisher, lol.
Image
User avatar
uscbucsfan
 
Posts: 2498
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:21 pm
Has thanked: 64 times
Been thanked: 70 times

Re: Official Superhero Discussion Thread

Postby PrimeMinister » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:39 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:
That’s surprising. Daredevil is probably the best of the bunch in regards to acting, action and writing.


I agree, but at least I get to watch Punisher, lol.


Fact. A win’s a win.

My wife has either loved or enjoyed all the Netflix Marvel shows minus Iron Fist. The first episode was so bad that she has adamantly refused to see another second of it lol. Doesn’t bother me because I thought the show was trash as well.
PrimeMinister
 
Posts: 6044
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:34 am
Has thanked: 27 times
Been thanked: 151 times

Re: Official Superhero Discussion Thread

Postby Super K » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:16 pm

FINALLY saw GOTGV2 last night...

It was ok...borderline meh..for me..

WAY too much colory, trippy CGI crap, some funny spots but almost like it tried to be overly funny..

It was better than marathoning Law/Order SVU the remainder of the evening (my wife and daughters had watched it for about 10 hours straight I think)...

I give it 3 out of 5 stars..
Super K
 
Posts: 5123
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:26 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 131 times

Re: Official Superhero Discussion Thread

Postby Teitan » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:47 pm

It definitely wasn’t close to as good as the first one.
User avatar
Teitan
 
Posts: 2896
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:07 pm
Has thanked: 161 times
Been thanked: 115 times

PreviousNext

post

Return to Off Topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 5 guests

cron