Official Superhero Discussion Thread

General Discussion on any Off Topic subject
Re: Official Superhero Discussion Thread

Postby PrimeMinister » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:08 am

Justice League is currently trending around 84% Audience score with 9700 reviews. Off the top of my head this is the best DCEU Audience rating not named Wonder Woman.

I have not seen JL yet, but this is encouraging for the franchise. I tend to trust audience scores over critics. The box office sales are lower than expected, but if the quality is higher than expected audiences will eventually respond.
PrimeMinister

Postby MJW » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:01 am

PrimeMinister wrote:Justice League is currently trending around 84% Audience score with 9700 reviews. Off the top of my head this is the best DCEU Audience rating not named Wonder Woman.

I have not seen JL yet, but this is encouraging for the franchise. I tend to trust audience scores over critics. The box office sales are lower than expected, but if the quality is higher than expected audiences will eventually respond.

It was ****. If the audience is pleased, it's a testament to how incredibly low the bar is for DC at this point.
MJW

Postby pewterpirates » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:07 am

It was decent. Too rushed. Flimsy storyline. But it was still cool to see Batman, Wonder Woman, the Flash, Aquaman, etc on the big screen together.

I'm waiting for the director's cut to come out, I think that will help fill in a lot of the storyline. Freakin' WB chopped the final product up. There's an online petition to release the full film in theater with some serious traction behind it. It won't happen, but it'd be nice if the studio listened to what the people want.
pewterpirates

Postby Bootz2004 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:18 am

pewterpirates wrote:It was decent. Too rushed. Flimsy storyline. But it was still cool to see Batman, Wonder Woman, the Flash, Aquaman, etc on the big screen together.

I'm waiting for the director's cut to come out, I think that will help fill in a lot of the storyline. Freakin' WB chopped the final product up. There's an online petition to release the full film in theater with some serious traction behind it. It won't happen, but it'd be nice if the studio listened to what the people want.

WB didn't chop up the final product....Joss Whedon did. The same Joss Whedon who directed the 1st 2 Avenger's films for Marvel....Coincidence?
Bootz2004

Postby PrimeMinister » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:05 pm

pewterpirates wrote:It was decent. Too rushed. Flimsy storyline. But it was still cool to see Batman, Wonder Woman, the Flash, Aquaman, etc on the big screen together.

Wasn’t there a similar petition after BvS? People felt the longer director’s cut would bring the story together.
PrimeMinister

Postby PrimeMinister » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:09 pm

MJW wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:Justice League is currently trending around 84% Audience score with 9700 reviews. Off the top of my head this is the best DCEU Audience rating not named Wonder Woman.

It was ****. If the audience is pleased, it's a testament to how incredibly low the bar is for DC at this point.

Damn. In your opinion how does it compare to BvS?
PrimeMinister

Postby PrimeMinister » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:10 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:

WB didn't chop up the final product....Joss Whedon did. The same Joss Whedon who directed the 1st 2 Avenger's films for Marvel....Coincidence?

I’m not following what you’re implying here. Are you saying Whedon did a good or bad job of chopping up the 1st 2 Avengers and therefore you can see his hand on Justice League?
PrimeMinister

Postby Bootz2004 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:12 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

I’m not following what you’re implying here. Are you saying Whedon did a good or bad job of chopping up the 1st 2 Avengers and therefore you can see his hand on Justice League?

Just begging the question of whether people think it's possible Whedon intentionally cut out a bulk of JL since he is a Marvel guy...
Bootz2004

Postby PrimeMinister » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:16 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:

Just begging the question of whether people think it's possible Whedon intentionally cut out a bulk of JL since he is a Marvel guy...

Ahhh. No I don’t think that. I believe him coming in extremely late to the project and reshooting a crap ton of the film caused some of this. WB wasn’t happy with Snyder’s direction (neither were audiences) so Whedon was supposed to lighten it up and make it more fun.

Also like I said earlier, the fact that BvS has the same issues during editing make me thing there is a problem within WB.
PrimeMinister

Postby terrytate » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:39 pm

The reason why WB chops them is because there is too much in the film. The problem remains the same, they are trying to do in 3 movies what Marvel did in 6, bring the whole team together, do a thorough job introducing them and their supporting character and really show what makes them tick. Then in the big team up, it's not about who they are but how they interact. This movie would have needed to be 5 hours long to justice to all of the threads it was dangling. WB likely doesn't want a 3 plus hour movie, so they start chopping until they get it down to a time more easily accessible by the masses.

That said, it was a decent watch. They seem to be working on the problems, most of what I hated about BvS didn't apply here. Steppenwolf was much better than Malekith, who someone here compared him too. He didn't get a lot of development for the reasons I stated above, but he got a few good lines and he cracked heads in impressive style. All in all, it shows that while the DCEU has plenty of warts, it is trending upwards. Wonder Woman and this movie both show that less Zach Snyder is a good thing.
terrytate

Postby PrimeMinister » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:58 pm

And no Zach Snyder is best.
PrimeMinister

Postby MJW » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:45 am

PrimeMinister wrote:
MJW wrote:

It's better than BvS, but we're talking about the Holocaust versus Chernobyl here.
MJW

Postby terrytate » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:43 pm

MJW wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:

It's better than BvS, but we're talking about the Holocaust versus Chernobyl here.

That's a little extreme. It was better than several Marvel movies. It doesn't equal Marvel's best or The Dark Knight, but it was better than the movies like BvS, Thor 2, Iron Man 3 or the first Cap movie.

The worst thing about the movie is the post credit scene showing Eisenberg's version of Lex Luthor is likely coming back.
terrytate

Postby VauntedTampa2 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:45 pm

Thanks for the spoiler, brah.
VauntedTampa2

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:20 pm

Y'all are nitpicking. Sure, the dialogue got cheesy in the last half hour, but it was still good overall.

Last half hour of The Avengers had corny dialogue too.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:10 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:Y'all are nitpicking. Sure, the dialogue got cheesy in the last half hour, but it was still good overall.

Most of the dialogue in Avengers was corny.
Bootz2004

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:24 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Y'all are nitpicking. Sure, the dialogue got cheesy in the last half hour, but it was still good overall.

Exactly. JL was a fun trip to the theater and that's that.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby PrimeMinister » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:13 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

That’s about all I want in a Superhero movie. If I get something more than that (Winter Soldier is an example) then it’s a great Superhero movie.
PrimeMinister

Postby Bootz2004 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:11 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

Yep. That's what was missing from movies like Thor The Dark World & BvS. They weren't fun at all. Way too dark and gloomy without telling a compelling story. The Dark Knight trilogy was dark but it told good stories and had great characters and other elements.
Bootz2004

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:21 pm

Finished The Punisher on Netflix. I liked it. It was certainly violent at times (especially the 2nd to last episode), but it's The Punisher!! Hello!!! It's supposed to be more violent than the norm in this genre.

Decent story, enough to keep me interested between scenes when Frank goes berserker on people.
DreadNaught

Postby PrimeMinister » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:50 pm

DreadNaught wrote:Finished The Punisher on Netflix. I liked it. It was certainly violent at times (especially the 2nd to last episode), but it's The Punisher!! Hello!!! It's supposed to be more violent than the norm in this genre.

Decent story, enough to keep me interested between scenes when Frank goes berserker on people.

I didn’t find the violence to be excessive like I was told it would be. It was in line with the character. I love how that actor plays the Punisher. He shows depth and pulls off “simmering rage” perfectly. Mrs. PM and I both loved it.
PrimeMinister

Postby Miller4Prez64 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:27 pm

The box office number is the only thing that matters unfortunately. The suits at the top invested a lot of money into this film and it's not meeting expectations at all. Major changes are basically a guarantee, but I think we knew that going in. Warner Bros. just needs to take the entire franchise into a completely different direction.
Miller4Prez64

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:08 pm

Miller4Prez64 wrote:

The box office number is the only thing that matters unfortunately. The suits at the top invested a lot of money into this film and it's not meeting expectations at all. Major changes are basically a guarantee, but I think we knew that going in. Warner Bros. just needs to take the entire franchise into a completely different direction.

Is that really the case? Last year I made the case that Suicide Squad was a success because of the box office figures yet people here said otherwise. It’s still early for the film and it’s nearly at half a billion dollar. But if it’s the box office that what matters most then DCEU is just fine.
Bootz2004

Postby PrimeMinister » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:01 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
Miller4Prez64 wrote:

Is that really the case? Last year I made the case that Suicide Squad was a success because of the box office figures yet people here said otherwise. It’s still early for the film and it’s nearly at half a billion dollar. But if it’s the box office that what matters most then DCEU is just fine.

JL is projecting to end up in mid $600Ms which will be considered a failure. This will bring much needed changes to the DCEU.
PrimeMinister

Postby MJW » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:20 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

I don't remember having any fun. I remember a lot of actors standing in front of obvious green-screens, saying lines as if off a teleprompter, then fighting a cartoon character.

BTW...Not to be dramatic, but Superman and Batman are undoubtedly in the top ten amongst famous/beloved characters in Western Culture. Maybe in the top five. Superman might only be 2nd to you-know-who.

So, is it unreasonable to have higher standards than, 'mildly diverting?' when they make a movie about them with a blank check? If you go so Ant-Man, and it's an entertaining couple of hours, you're happy with that. This wasn't remotely as good as Ant-Man.
MJW

Postby Teitan » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:51 am

Maybe people find different things fun?
Teitan

Postby MJW » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:56 am

Teitan wrote:Maybe people find different things fun?

Relativism: The last defense of things that suck.
MJW

Postby Teitan » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:02 am

Teitan

Postby Teitan » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:50 am

Avengers: Inifinity War

Teitan

Postby bucfanclw » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:55 am

Teitan wrote:Avengers: Inifinity War

Can. not. wait.