Official Superhero Discussion Thread

General Discussion on any Off Topic subject
Re: Official Superhero Discussion Thread

Postby PrimeMinister » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:03 pm

Konatown wrote:I watched Justice League for the first time today, thought it was kinda meh. Marvel just set the bar pretty high with the Avengers that justice league felt pretty forced with all the characters. Would like to see them do a justice league 2, but based off some articles I read that doesn’t seem too likely now. Anyone hear anything differently?

Actually it sounds like the DCEU is dead. DC is giving up on building a connected universe. They’re instead going to focus on making good individual films that aren’t set in the same universes.
PrimeMinister

Postby Hit55 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:41 pm

Anyone here (still) collect comics? I stopped and sold off my entire collection back before college, but since moving to Tampa, the overwhelming amount of comic shops in the area has gotten me slowly back into it.
Hit55

Postby Phantom Phenom » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:15 am

Brie Larson as Captain Marvel

Last edited by Phantom Phenom on Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phantom Phenom

Postby Teitan » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:17 am

She looks like a power ranger.
Teitan

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:30 am

Hopefully it's a good surprise like Ant-man. Ms. Marvel/Captain Marvel was never interesting outside that she was the source of Rogue's super human/flying abilities.
uscbucsfan

Postby bucfanclw » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:46 am

Captain Marvel could be a really interesting movie. Nick Fury and Agent Coulson will return and word is she's potentially the first super hero they've ever seen. They're bringing back Ronan the Accuser and Korath from GotG which is an interesting choice since we know Ronan dies in GotG. People complained he wasn't really used that well before so they could flesh him out better, but for what? They won't be able to use him again.
bucfanclw

Postby pewterpirates » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:16 am

bucfanclw wrote:Captain Marvel could be a really interesting movie. Nick Fury and Agent Coulson will return and word is she's potentially the first super hero they've ever seen. They're bringing back Ronan the Accuser and Korath from GotG which is an interesting choice since we know Ronan dies in GotG. People complained he wasn't really used that well before so they could flesh him out better, but for what? They won't be able to use him again.

True ... but time stone.

I seriously doubt they'll revive Ronan, but with the time stone, anything is possible.
pewterpirates

Postby Buc You » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:24 am

bucfanclw wrote: They're bringing back Ronan the Accuser and Korath from GotG which is an interesting choice since we know Ronan dies in GotG.

They're focusing CM on the Kree-Skrull war. Ronan is a fanatical Kree warlord in GOTG. He'll probably be in the same position, or in his rise in CM.
Buc You

Postby bucfanclw » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:42 am

pewterpirates wrote:
bucfanclw wrote:Captain Marvel could be a really interesting movie. Nick Fury and Agent Coulson will return and word is she's potentially the first super hero they've ever seen. They're bringing back Ronan the Accuser and Korath from GotG which is an interesting choice since we know Ronan dies in GotG. People complained he wasn't really used that well before so they could flesh him out better, but for what? They won't be able to use him again.

True ... but time stone.

I seriously doubt they'll revive Ronan , but with the time stone, anything is possible.

I doubt they revive him post GotG. I think the reasoning for bringing him back is to bring the Kree in as a war that's been going on in secret since the 90s which will explain why she didn't get involved with all these past events of the Avengers. My theory is that Infinity War leads to the enslavement of Earth and ends on a downer. Then in Avengers 4, The Kree, under new leadership, call a truce and join with the Avengers to fight back against Thanos to prevent their own destruction.
bucfanclw

Postby Phantom Phenom » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:58 am

During Screen Rant‘s set visit for Avengers: Infinity War, we heard from stars Sebastian Stan (Bucky) and Anthony Mackie (Falcon) about just how much their characters and the rest of the heroes will get a chance to shine in the film. And though they’re excited to see the different plots and tones of the MCU brought together, the actors make it clear that Infinity War is really the story of Thanos:

Sebastian Stan: I’m sure it’s going to be challenging for sure because there’s so many different tones to these films and that all of these characters carry. So I think it’ll be interesting to see how tonally everybody fits into the same world. You’ve shot already some, right?

Anthony Mackie: Yeah. The great thing is that tonally, how the movie’s working now everyone, it’s not like you see one person who is the lead of the movie. It’s truly and ensemble movie. I would say if anybody is the lead of the movie it’s Thanos. And it’s all of us working around, orbiting Thanos because he’s such a big bad guy. He’s the uber bad guy. He’s the worst bad guy of all bad guys of all time. So you can’t like put them in three scenes down, then a fight scene at the end. You really have to give them just due. So, our relationship and our scenes are more ensemble based. Everybody playing with a relationship with each other.

As the actors state, Thanos is a presence that can’t simply fade into the background. Each character has had the chance to grow in various films, and Avengers: Infinity War will certainly continue that. But the movie will also be a chance to finally let the Mad Titan cut loose and make up for all the delegating and sitting around he’s done so far. Still, Bucky and Falcon have their own journeys to go on over the course of the movie:

Sebastian Stan: It’s certainly been a lot more of a stable situation for my guy, from what we’ve been used to and stuff. It’s interesting, I’m really still discovering him. You can’t just turn a hard right and everything’s great. I’m still finding it to be honest.

Anthony Mackie: The thing for me is that continuous line, being a supporter of Cap and where he is in his journey. I kind of enjoy being along for the ride, step-by-step. You know when I first met the Avengers I was like, ‘Holy ****. If the Avengers need me, I’m there!’ You know it’s just been ridiculous moment after ridiculous moment for me. So, you know when I walk up and see a talking raccoon, it’s just a ridiculous moment leading to the next ridiculous thing. You know, so it’s always just a fun journey.

Phantom Phenom

Postby MJW » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:47 am

PrimeMinister wrote:
Konatown wrote:I watched Justice League for the first time today, thought it was kinda meh. Marvel just set the bar pretty high with the Avengers that justice league felt pretty forced with all the characters. Would like to see them do a justice league 2, but based off some articles I read that doesn’t seem too likely now. Anyone hear anything differently?

Actually it sounds like the DCEU is dead. DC is giving up on building a connected universe. They’re instead going to focus on making good individual films that aren’t set in the same universes.

This is WONDERFUL news. For years now, I've wanted DC to adopt Christopher Nolan's model.

- Find a good director, or at least a director with vision.
- Give him a character, or possibly a team.
- Give him three pictures to tell the story.
- Stay out of the way.
- And there's zero reason to ever have them intermingle.

Can you imagine Quentin Tarantino's Joker trilogy?

How about James Wan's Constantine?

David Fincher's Superman?

ETC.

That would be amazing. Even the failures would be amazing. And I think a lot of these directors would be up for it, if they were given creative control. Most of them grew up with these characters too.
MJW

Postby pewterpirates » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:47 am

Just to get some more discussion going on this epic movie ... How do ya'll think Infinity War will end?

I read somewhere the other day, the reason the title for Avengers 4 is so guarded & secret is because it hints at (spoils) what happens in Infinity War.

I think more characters are going to die than what has been speculated. I know a lot are looking at 2-4 main characters dying, but wouldn't surprise me if more than half of the Avengers/GOTG are killed/banished/disappear/whatever.
pewterpirates

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:01 pm

pewterpirates wrote:Just to get some more discussion going on this epic movie ... How do ya'll think Infinity War will end?

I read somewhere the other day, the reason the title for Avengers 4 is so guarded & secret is because it hints at (spoils) what happens in Infinity War.

I think more characters are going to die than what has been speculated. I know a lot are looking at 2-4 main characters dying, but wouldn't surprise me if more than half of the Avengers/GOTG are killed/banished/disappear/whatever.

I doubt any GotG folks die, they have another movie to make (GotG3).

Most are predicting some other Avengers die. Cap and/or Ironman are the two most likely imho.

IW should be the darkest MCU film to date by all accounts and I doubt it ends with the typical kumbaya where the villain is defeated and the Avengers go on their merry way.
DreadNaught

Postby Super K » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:09 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
pewterpirates wrote:Just to get some more discussion going on this epic movie ... How do ya'll think Infinity War will end?

Most are predicting some other Avengers die. Cap and/or Ironman are the two most likely imho.

IW should be the darkest MCU film to date by all accounts and I doubt it ends with the typical kumbaya where the villain is defeated and the Avengers go on their merry way.

I'm calling Cap, IM and Vision get put into the ground...
Super K

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:13 pm

Super K wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

Good call on Vision. We know Thanos will be after the mind stone. Does Vision die without the mind stone? Or just lose most of his powers?

Speaking of which, why did Thanos give Loki the scepter in Avengers 1 if he knew it contained the mind stone? Or was Thanos not aware the scepter contained the mind stone?
DreadNaught

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:26 pm

I hope Falcon goes. His character sucks.

I'm not sure if Vision can survive without the mind stone as that's not the gem in his head in the comics.
uscbucsfan

Postby Deuce » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:32 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
Super K wrote:

Good call on Vision. We know Thanos will be after the mind stone. Does Vision die without the mind stone? Or just lose most of his powers?

Speaking of which, why did Thanos give Loki the scepter in Avengers 1 if he knew it contained the mind stone? Or was Thanos not aware the scepter contained the mind stone?

I'm not the most well-versed in this stuff but I think Thanos just gave Loki the scepter because he thought he could "get the job done" as far as killing the Avengers/destroying Earth. After Avengers 2, they show a cut scene of Thanos saying something like "I guess I'll have to do it myself".

I agree that a few Avengers probably will/should die but I'm wondering if it'll happen in IW or the next movie. My prediction is still that at least 1 dies and things are looking dire at the end of IW, and then new heroes like Captain Marvel come in to save the day in Avengers 4.

Vision is dead for sure, I think he needs the mind stone to stay alive. I also think CA and IM are most likely to die. Thor looks like he's in a bad place in the trailer.
Deuce

Postby Phantom Phenom » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:35 pm

probably infinity gauntlet

Thanos grand finale
Phantom Phenom

Postby pewterpirates » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:37 pm

I also think it's 99.9% certain that Loki dies, probably early on in the movie.

Regarding Vision, I saw in one of the trailers where in the background it looked like a "weakened" Vision was being helped around by Scarlet Witch and he didn't have the Mind Stone, so it may be possible he can survive without it. I also think Churi will help heal/save Vision with Wakandan technology.
pewterpirates

Postby Phantom Phenom » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:39 pm

I doubt Warlock in Avengers 4
Phantom Phenom

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:40 pm

I don't think Thor will die. He's too powerful. Odinforce Thor can take Thanos 1v1 without the IG, depeding on the writer.

Edit: There have been rumors that Victor Von Doom will make an appearance, too.
Last edited by uscbucsfan on Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
uscbucsfan

Postby Phantom Phenom » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:45 pm

Squirrel Girl?
Phantom Phenom

Postby PrimeMinister » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:46 pm

pewterpirates wrote:I also think it's 99.9% certain that Loki dies, probably early on in the movie.

Regarding Vision, I saw in one of the trailers where in the background it looked like a "weakened" Vision was being helped around by Scarlet Witch and he didn't have the Mind Stone, so it may be possible he can survive without it. I also think Churi will help heal/save Vision with Wakandan technology.

Shuri may save Vision, but I wouldn’t read much into seeing Vision without the Mind Gem during the preview. Marvel has a history of showing edited footage during previews (showing Thor with both eyes during the Ragnarok preview for example) so what we see isn’t necessarily true to the story.
PrimeMinister

Postby Phantom Phenom » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:51 pm

Phantom Phenom

Postby Phantom Phenom » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:53 pm

Phantom Phenom

Postby Phantom Phenom » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:05 pm

Do you think galactus will make an appearance in Avengers 4 ?
Phantom Phenom

Postby PrimeMinister » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:11 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:I don't think Thor will die. He's too powerful. Odinforce Thor can take Thanos 1v1 without the IG, depeding on the writer.

I wonder if we will ever get true Odinforce Thor in the MCU. The MCU has not included overpowered beings until Thanos with the IG.
PrimeMinister

Postby pewterpirates » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:18 pm

Phantom Phenom wrote:Do you think galactus will make an appearance in Avengers 4 ?

If so, it'll be brief, or more likely a mention.

I'm sure they're saving Galactus for the next big baddie for the next MCU phase.
pewterpirates

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:31 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:I don't think Thor will die. He's too powerful. Odinforce Thor can take Thanos 1v1 without the IG, depeding on the writer.

I wonder if we will ever get true Odinforce Thor in the MCU. The MCU has not included overpowered beings until Thanos with the IG.

Some speculate that Thor Ragnarok was Odinforce, but I doubt it. MCU characters are generally under powered from their comic counterparts.

I think Doom will be infused, as rumors suggest. Also, X-men characters and story lines can work their way into MCU into the future.
uscbucsfan

Postby pewterpirates » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:46 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:I hope Falcon goes. His character sucks.

Yeah, if Steve Rogers/Captain America dies, there's really no need for Falcon. He's basically just Cap's sidekick. I know in a recent comic arc, Falcon took over the mantle of Captain America. But in the MCU, all signs point to Bucky/Winter Soldier becoming Captain America when Rogers dies.

I seriously doubt any type of X-men references are made in Infinity War. That whole thing happened too late in the game. I'm sure X-men hints will be dropped in Avengers 4.
pewterpirates

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic