Official Superhero Discussion Thread

General Discussion on any Off Topic subject
Re: Official Superhero Discussion Thread

Postby Super K » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:30 pm

Going to see Black Panther tonight at the theatre as a "gift" for my daughter for doing well...

Fingers crossed that it's as good as made out to be, if I had paid $60+ to see WW in theatres I would've whooped someone's ass...
Super K

Postby VauntedTampa2 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:04 pm

Let us know what you thought!
VauntedTampa2

Postby PrimeMinister » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:20 pm

Super K wrote:Going to see Black Panther tonight at the theatre as a "gift" for my daughter for doing well...

Fingers crossed that it's as good as made out to be, if I had paid $60+ to see WW in theatres I would've whooped someone's ass...

I’m curious if it can hold up to all the hype for you. You have a full month’s worth of hype built up unlike those who saw it week 1 or 2. Let us know what you think of it.

Edit: And why is the movie theatre $60 for 2 people?! Are you seeing a live re-enactment? On a related note in case you thought of seeing BP in 3-D don’t. It’s better in 2D.
PrimeMinister

Postby Super K » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:01 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
Super K wrote:Going to see Black Panther tonight at the theatre as a "gift" for my daughter for doing well...

I’m curious if it can hold up to all the hype for you. You have a full month’s worth of hype built up unlike those who saw it week 1 or 2. Let us know what you think of it.

Edit: And why is the movie theatre $60 for 2 people?! Are you seeing a live re-enactment? On a related note in case you thought of seeing BP in 3-D don’t. It’s better in 2D.

I've got a crew sir...

4 kids, plus the wife and myself...

Only 4 of us going tonight, my wife and our 2 daughters, as our oldest son is away at college and our middle son is grounded for bein a jackass..

Still gonna run me $44 for tix at $11 a pop...
Super K

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:41 pm

Super K wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:

I've got a crew sir...

4 kids, plus the wife and myself...

Only 4 of us going tonight, my wife and our 2 daughters, as our oldest son is away at college and our middle son is grounded for bein a jackass..

Still gonna run me $44 for tix at $11 a pop...

Poor jackass. He's gonna miss a great flick.
Bootz2004

Postby Super K » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:35 am

Ok, sorry this took awhile, but we went to a 10pm showing..didn't get home until quarter to 1....

- movie was PERFECTLY cast..top to bottom...outstanding..Boseman is as perfect for the Black Panther as Downey is for IM....no doubt about it..

- CGI, I didn't think the CGI was bad?!?..many have trashed it (and SH movies all together) saying they are getting sloppy, I didn't see it

- best bad guy yet*..Killmonger was a mean ass, heartless, baddie..I'll explain the asterisk below..

- GREAT intro and backstory of Wakanda not only BP...

- liked that they roped Bilbo Baggans into the flick

- humor was on point and FUNNY..

- Rhinos...I love Rhinos...they are/we're my favorite animal to check out when I was a kid and when we took our kids to the zoo...

Dislikes:

- the origin story for Killmonger and/or backstory on the uncle was weak imo..really weak..they either needed to go a different route (I actually have an idea, but that's for another day) or spend more time with it....

- I get Wakanda is tech advanced, but this is too much...Marvel is starting to make each and everyone of these hero stories/films all about tech imo... we are losing things that made the heroes cool...DC has Batman as their guy who has all the advanced gadgetry..Marvel has IM, Spidey, BP, War Machine, Ant-Man, GOTG etc...

- its really starting to piss me off that Marvel is so against having heroes who wear costumes and masks, actually wear those costumes and masks...I want to see BP, not TChalla....just like I want to see Spiderman, not Peter Parker...and I want Captain America with his mask ON and enough with the "inside the suit" headshots of IM and/or War Machine...when these characters interact in the comics (all of them) they do so as the hero...take a ****ing hint Marvel...

- No Spiderman...at all? **** you Marvel (hahahaha)

Helluva movie, good ride...right up there with Winter Soldier, GOTGV1, Civil War and Ant-Man as top tier players in the Marvel Universe...
Super K

Postby uscbucsfan » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:24 am

Killmoger's backstory was changed, mostly due to time constraints, but was based on his comic book backstory. The same with the technology from Wakanda. This goes back to your issues with Thor Ragnarok, these movies are all based on comics. Changes are made, but they can't change too much.

I didn't love Killmonger's character in the movie. They didn't give him enough time to develop IMO. He's still one of the better bad guys from Marvel, but I think most of the Marvel bad guys aren't properly fleshed outside of Loki.
uscbucsfan

Postby Super K » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:55 am

uscbucsfan wrote:Killmoger's backstory was changed, mostly due to time constraints, but was based on his comic book backstory. The same with the technology from Wakanda. This goes back to your issues with Thor Ragnarok, these movies are all based on comics. Changes are made, but they can't change too much.

I didn't love Killmonger's character in the movie. They didn't give him enough time to develop IMO. He's still one of the better bad guys from Marvel, but I think most of the Marvel bad guys aren't properly fleshed outside of Loki.

Then I'd agree that Killmonger's backstory needed to be deeper, because it felt rushed and forced...

And I know/get that there is tech in Wakanda, but too much is too much....

I don't see Loki as a villain, not anymore..he's a damn antihero if I've ever seen one...

Contrary to what others think, Marvel needs that one badass villain who is just plain evil because he's plain evil...ala The Joker in DC...EVERY villain has a story and reason for flipping the switch...and while I get that's part of "their" character, it's focused on too much...

Red Skull may be the closest thing we got to a true baddie....
Super K

Postby PrimeMinister » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:46 am

Thanks for letting us know your thoughts on the movie, SK.

Regarding the tech in Wakanda it’s accurate to the comics. In the comics Wakanda is literally decades ahead of every other nation on the planet. They’re a heavily advanced tech based society which is why they’ve never been invaded or beaten in battle.

Thanks for your break down of pros and cons. I’m impressed that the film could stand up to a month’s worth of hype for you.
PrimeMinister

Postby uscbucsfan » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:27 pm

BP passed Avengers in all time domestic box office. If it didn't bomb in China, it would have had a shot at being the all time international for super hero movies, but it appears it will finish around 1.3 billion, which is really amazing.
uscbucsfan

Postby Crocaneers » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:43 pm

I ran away tonight and seeing it now.

I have to see this to prep for Infinity War
Crocaneers

Postby PrimeMinister » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:37 pm

Crocaneers wrote:I ran away tonight and seeing it now.

What did you think?
PrimeMinister

Postby PrimeMinister » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:37 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:BP passed Avengers in all time domestic box office. If it didn't bomb in China, it would have had a shot at being the all time international for super hero movies, but it appears it will finish around 1.3 billion, which is really amazing.

It’s impressive that it reached $1.3B with a poor showing in China.
PrimeMinister

Postby Super K » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:43 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
Crocaneers wrote:I ran away tonight and seeing it now.

What did you think?

Anxious to hear his thoughts as well...

That said, this is probably the best and most civil thread on the entire board where everyone opinion is valued and considered...

Kind of makes me laugh..lol
Super K

Postby Crocaneers » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:02 pm

Black Panther was the most unique Super Hero movie I have ever seen. I have avoided any spoilers, and kept away from most reviews (even this thread).

Really impressive. I can escape in a movie pretty well, and not worry about whether this or that can happen. Where I always judge movies, is the end. That's where the gold was. I mean really incredible mining opportunities to change the3 world kind of gold.

I also really enjoyed the fact I didn't think of race. It was not really mentioned, or driven into. I enjoyed this aspect, and much like Tony Dungy once said "It will be nice when they don't have to mention what the color of skin they had, to make something nice or good"

Spoiler:
When King T'Challa claimed that his father was responsible for the terror, due to not bringing his nephew back, that was really deep. He loved his country, but T'challa challanged that they are ALL family, and the country was nothing without that togetherness.

I will chew on this movie for a really long time.
Last edited by Crocaneers on Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crocaneers

Postby PrimeMinister » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:25 pm

Super K wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:
What did you think?

That said, this is probably the best and most civil thread on the entire board where everyone opinion is valued and considered...

Ha! Good observation. I wonder why that is? I think it was Dread that said he didn’t like GotG or Dr. Strange and several of us disagreed but it was civil. Maybe because it’s a comic book characters thread on a football message board? Go to a Marvel or DC message board and I’m sure they have complete meltdown threads like we do.
PrimeMinister

Postby uscbucsfan » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:34 am

Crocaneers wrote:
I also really enjoyed the fact I didn't think of race. It was not really mentioned, or driven into. I enjoyed this aspect, and much like Tony Dungy once said "It will be nice when they don't have to mention what the color of skin they had, to make something nice or good"

The race comment is strange as it was mentioned multiple times both directly and subtlely and was a major aspect of the movie.

Edit:Is this where our civility ends? Lol.

This movie was the most politically and racially charged mainstream movies in years, including Get Out. Coogler fully intended to make it that and it's all over the movie. I feel like that perspective is a bit disrespectful to the movie.
uscbucsfan

Postby Crocaneers » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:16 am

It wasn't that race wasn't mentioned, but more not driven as a separation. I get the nephew's drive in wanting to shift the pendulum back, but the way the Black Panther positioned how they approach things from Wakanda was refreshing.
Crocaneers

Postby uscbucsfan » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:28 am

Crocaneers wrote:It wasn't that race wasn't mentioned, but more not driven as a separation. I get the nephew's drive in wanting to shift the pendulum back, but the way the Black Panther positioned how they approach things from Wakanda was refreshing.

I'm still not sure if I'm following you.
uscbucsfan

Postby Crocaneers » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:45 am

Maybe it's me ... I never felt that anything was "because they were a different race" it was due to fact they had a different heart.
Crocaneers

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:05 am

PrimeMinister wrote:
Super K wrote:

Ha! Good observation. I wonder why that is? I think it was Dread that said he didn’t like GotG or Dr. Strange and several of us disagreed but it was civil. Maybe because it’s a comic book characters thread on a football message board? Go to a Marvel or DC message board and I’m sure they have complete meltdown threads like we do.

I like GotG!

Wasn't a huge fan the Dr. Strange movie compared to the other MCU films, so that was likely it. I also has some critiques for Thor3 specific to the comedic strategy, but overall I liked the movie.

Don't label me a MCU hater!!! ;)
DreadNaught

Postby PrimeMinister » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:34 am

DreadNaught wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:

I like GotG!

Wasn't a huge fan the Dr. Strange movie compared to the other MCU films, so that was likely it. I also has some critiques for Thor3 specific to the comedic strategy, but overall I liked the movie.

Lol! Forgive me, Dread. I’m thinking of the wrong movies. I remember there were two movies you didn’t like that surprised me and we had a quick conversation on why you didn’t care for them. Thor3 was one of them, but I don’t remember the 2nd film.

Btw once again we are having a civil conversation. Idk wtf is wrong with this thread and the abundance of civility.
PrimeMinister

Postby pewterpirates » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:49 am

DreadNaught wrote:Read that IW will be the first movie shot entirely with IMAX cameras thus watching it in IMAX or IMAX 3D will allow theater goers to e
njoy 26% more of the film.

Probably a negligible difference, but just something I figured I'd share since many here will be going to see it.

I saw this the other day as well. Nice that they waited this long to reveal that information. I've already bought my tickets, and it's not an IMAX theater. I plan on going to see it multiple times anyway, so I'll try to make my 2nd viewing at an IMAX a couple weeks after it's out.
pewterpirates

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:29 pm

Crocaneers wrote:It wasn't that race wasn't mentioned, but more not driven as a separation. I get the nephew's drive in wanting to shift the pendulum back, but the way the Black Panther positioned how they approach things from Wakanda was refreshing.

What is refreshing about ethno-nationalism?

I agree with USC's post to a degree that there were more political and racial elements in Black Panther compared to most mainstream movies and the director did that intentionally. Like I've stated before I thought he did a fantastic job.

That said the politics of Wakanda are a bit interesting imo. They are an isolated, secluded, homogeneous country ruled via dictatorship (BP is a nice dictator though, but a dictator nonetheless) that brands their citizens for identification purposes where people (outsiders) are not even allowed to visit, much less migrate to. Furthermore they became that way after a vibrainium laden meteor happened to land there from outer space and made the choice to enrich only their own citizenry monetarily and technologically instead of sharing this world changing alien technology to better all of humanity (clean energy, fight disease, etc).

Also the CGI for the ending fight scene could have been better. Too many gumby moments where the CGI made the characters look like they were made of rubber.

Why doesn't Black Panther hook up War Machine with one of those beads that cured Biblo/Ross? Seems like he could've used one instead of all that physical therapy after Vision fried him in Civil War.
DreadNaught

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:41 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:
I like GotG!

Lol! Forgive me, Dread. I’m thinking of the wrong movies. I remember there were two movies you didn’t like that surprised me and we had a quick conversation on why you didn’t care for them. Thor3 was one of them, but I don’t remember the 2nd film.

Btw once again we are having a civil conversation. Idk wtf is wrong with this thread and the abundance of civility.

lol, no worries as you had it mostly correct. I take my MCU fandom serious and just wanted set the record straight regarding GotG :D .

I just introduced some politics in this thread to spice it up and test how civil we can be. :P
DreadNaught

Postby Phantom Phenom » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:44 am

Rewatched Thor: Ragnarok last night

is Hela (goddess of death) the MCU version of Mistress Death? Her ending scene wasnt too convincing of her "death"

Huge Thanos ship appears in first end-credit scene

I doubt it
Phantom Phenom

Postby beardmcdoug » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:50 pm

DreadNaught wrote:

What is refreshing about ethno-nationalism?

I agree with USC's post to a degree that there were more political and racial elements in Black Panther compared to most mainstream movies and the director did that intentionally. Like I've stated before I thought he did a fantastic job.

That said the politics of Wakanda are a bit interesting imo. They are an isolated, secluded, homogeneous country ruled via dictatorship (BP is a nice dictator though, but a dictator nonetheless) that brands their citizens for identification purposes where people (outsiders) are not even allowed to visit, much less migrate to. Furthermore they became that way after a vibrainium laden meteor happened to land there from outer space and made the choice to enrich only their own citizenry monetarily and technologically instead of sharing this world changing alien technology to better all of humanity (clean energy, fight disease, etc).

lol
beardmcdoug

Postby Konatown » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:19 pm

Phantom Phenom wrote:Rewatched Thor: Ragnarok last night

is Hela (goddess of death) the MCU version of Mistress Death? Her ending scene wasnt too convincing of her "death"

I doubt it

I thought this as well. Although it kept on mentioning she gets her power from Asgard, so who knows.
Konatown

Postby Phantom Phenom » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:35 pm

Konatown wrote:
Phantom Phenom wrote:Rewatched Thor: Ragnarok last night

I doubt it

I thought this as well. Although it kept on mentioning she gets her power from Asgard, so who knows.

****, I forgot.
Phantom Phenom

Postby Konatown » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:52 pm

I watched Justice League for the first time today, thought it was kinda meh. Marvel just set the bar pretty high with the Avengers that justice league felt pretty forced with all the characters. Would like to see them do a justice league 2, but based off some articles I read that doesn’t seem too likely now. Anyone hear anything differently?
Konatown

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic