Official Superhero Discussion Thread

General Discussion on any Off Topic subject
Re: Official Superhero Discussion Thread

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:04 pm

Teitan wrote:So I saw Wonder Woman...

I liked the movie. I liked the character. Felt that I got a solid origin story. However...

The movie was/is massively overhyped. It was certainly nowhere near "best superhero movie ever" status. I'd read SO much hype all over the internet and I don't think it lived up to all that hype.

It probably isn't the best ever. But it was a damn good movie. Certainly the best Superhero movie since Winter Soldier IMO.
Bootz2004

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:26 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:

I liked the movie. I liked the character. Felt that I got a solid origin story. However...

The movie was/is massively overhyped. It was certainly nowhere near "best superhero movie ever" status. I'd read SO much hype all over the internet and I don't think it lived up to all that hype.

It probably isn't the best ever. But it was a damn good movie. Certainly the best Superhero movie since Winter Soldier IMO.

Everyone knows that Superman The Movie is the best superhero movie ever.

That said, Wonder woman was very well done. The cast and crew should be very proud of it.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Crocaneers » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:35 am

I saw WW twice and admit it was great. She's a great actress and had some good chemistry with Chris Pine. I know the story pretty well, so there weren't any surprises, and the action was good

I agree it's top 5 in my book for Superhero movies

Better than Superman the Movie made me laugh MB
Crocaneers

Postby Teitan » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:09 am

Bootz2004 wrote:

Certainly the best Superhero movie since Winter Soldier IMO.

Personally, I wouldn't even put it that high. It was a pretty by the numbers origin story. It was well done, not much fluff. I liked it. Maybe I just read too much hype.

I'd put these ahead of it "since Winter Soldier":

X-Men: Days of Future Past
CA: Civil War
Logan

I will say though, that it's a game changer for D.C. They needed an anchor movie, B v S wasn't it. Hopefully they can do good work with The Flash and Justice League. I'm not super excited for Aquaman, but we'll see.
Teitan

Postby uscbucsfan » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:53 am

Teitan wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:
Certainly the best Superhero movie since Winter Soldier IMO.

Personally, I wouldn't even put it that high. It was a pretty by the numbers origin story. It was well done, not much fluff. I liked it. Maybe I just read too much hype.

Logan

I will say though, that it's a game changer for D.C. They needed an anchor movie, B v S wasn't it. Hopefully they can do good work with The Flash and Justice League. I'm not super excited for Aquaman, but we'll see.

I also think DOFP is the best superhero movie thus far. I've watched it maybe 20 times and I love it.

Haven't been able to see WW yet, but really want to. I thought B v S was pretty below average, but Suicide Squad deserved more credit.
uscbucsfan

Postby PrimeMinister » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:02 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
Teitan wrote:

Logan

I also think DOFP is the best superhero movie thus far. I've watched it maybe 20 times and I love it.

Haven't been able to see WW yet, but really want to. I thought B v S was pretty below average, but Suicide Squad deserved more credit.

You and I view superhero movies very different. BvS was horrible by damn near every metric except $$$ made and SS was ok, but suffered from BvS blowback (we agree here). DOFP was ok, but not even top 10 superhero movies. Off the top of my head in no order I'd put Winter Soldier, Iron Man 1, Ant Man, Wonder Woman, Avengers 1, GotG 1 & 2, Civil War, Spider-Man (Marvel Version), The Dark Knight, Batman Begins & Dr. Strange above it.

All that being said I enjoyed watching DofP.
PrimeMinister

Postby uscbucsfan » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:08 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:

You and I view superhero movies very different. BvS was horrible by damn near every metric except $$$ made and SS was ok, but suffered from BvS blowback (we agree here). DOFP was ok, but not even top 10 superhero movies. Off the top of my head in no order I'd put Winter Soldier, Iron Man 1, Ant Man, Wonder Woman, Avengers 1, GotG 1 & 2, Civil War, Spider-Man (Marvel Version), The Dark Knight, Batman Begins & Dr. Strange above it.

It looks to me we like the same things in super hero movies, except you don't like the X-men/Fox arc.

uscbucsfan wrote:In MCU for me it goes:

1. Winter Soldier
2. Avengers
3. Guardians
4. Iron Man
5. Ant Man

If I were to include all of Marvel:
1. DoFP: Rogue Cut
2. Deadpool
3. Winter Soldier
4. Avengers
5. Guardians

And you liked Dr. Strange and I thought it was down in the Marvel cellar with Iron Man 3. I haven't seen the new Spiderman, but I assume I'll like it.
uscbucsfan

Postby PrimeMinister » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:10 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:

It looks to me we like the same things in super hero movies, except you don't like the X-men/Fox arc.

uscbucsfan wrote:In MCU for me it goes:

1. Winter Soldier
2. Avengers
3. Guardians
4. Iron Man
5. Ant Man

If I were to include all of Marvel:
1. DoFP: Rogue Cut
2. Deadpool
3. Winter Soldier
4. Avengers
5. Guardians

And you liked Dr. Strange and I thought it was down in the Marvel cellar with Iron Man 3. I haven't seen the new Spiderman, but I assume I'll like it.

Yeah you're correct. Other than DofP and Dr. Strange we are pretty close here. I forgot about Deadpool, but that movie was awesome. Why didn't you like Dr. Strange?
PrimeMinister

Postby uscbucsfan » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:14 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:

Yeah you're correct. Other than DofP and Dr. Strange we are pretty close here. I forgot about Deadpool, but that movie was awesome. Why didn't you like Dr. Strange?

I've admitted before that my childhood creates bias. I was never a Dr. Strange fan in the comics (I didn't like Antman either, but that was a great movie). The movie played like the comics and didn't create enough interest in the plot, relationships, bad guy...or anything outside of the visual affects, Cumberbatch, and his cape. I thought the resolution was corny and not in a normal Marvel fun way.

FWIW I also thought Civil War was vastly overrated. I liked it, but I wanted to love it as I loved the comic version. It was just too much. Too many characters, too much action, and once again the bad guy sucked/the story was shallow.

DOFP is the perfect mix for me because it has a great story and pace while maintaining the superhero action...Plus I love X-men.
uscbucsfan

Postby uscbucsfan » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:22 pm

I think, based on the previews, Thor: Ragnarok has a chance to be awesome. I love the Planet Hulk storyline and think they have a chance to do some great things. Growing up Thor was boring and a little far fetched as a god in the "mutant" universe. I never bought into the cosmics, immortals, etc, which is partly why I wasn't a DC fan. Gaurdians has made that world more interesting, but I think Ragnarok, with Hulk's help, can make Thor a bit more interesting to me.
uscbucsfan

Postby PrimeMinister » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:16 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:I think, based on the previews, Thor: Ragnarok has a chance to be awesome. I love the Planet Hulk storyline and think they have a chance to do some great things. Growing up Thor was boring and a little far fetched as a god in the "mutant" universe. I never bought into the cosmics, immortals, etc, which is partly why I wasn't a DC fan. Gaurdians has made that world more interesting, but I think Ragnarok, with Hulk's help, can make Thor a bit more interesting to me.

Thor Rag has a chance to be the first great (or even good) Thor film. Thor has been the weakest franchise in the MCU so it's about time he gets a real plot. Planet Hulk is one of my favorite storylines ever, but I never thought it would be adapted to the big screen. I trust Marvel to make it all work so I am looking forward to Ragnarok.
PrimeMinister

Postby Super K » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:59 am

PrimeMinister wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:I think, based on the previews, Thor: Ragnarok has a chance to be awesome. I love the Planet Hulk storyline and think they have a chance to do some great things. Growing up Thor was boring and a little far fetched as a god in the "mutant" universe. I never bought into the cosmics, immortals, etc, which is partly why I wasn't a DC fan. Gaurdians has made that world more interesting, but I think Ragnarok, with Hulk's help, can make Thor a bit more interesting to me.

Thor Rag has a chance to be the first great (or even good) Thor film. Thor has been the weakest franchise in the MCU so it's about time he gets a real plot. Planet Hulk is one of my favorite storylines ever, but I never thought it would be adapted to the big screen. I trust Marvel to make it all work so I am looking forward to Ragnarok.

Did you catch the SDCC trailer?

That movie looks like it's gonna be a helluva lot of fun..

And Hulk is gonna get some serious screen time...pure awesomeness
Super K

Postby PrimeMinister » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:46 pm

Super K wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:

Did you catch the SDCC trailer?

That movie looks like it's gonna be a helluva lot of fun..

And Hulk is gonna get some serious screen time...pure awesomeness

I did and I liked it. Although I was taken about by the different look for Thor. I hope it's addressed in some way, but I liked it regardless.
PrimeMinister

Postby MJW » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:45 am

Spawn is getting another movie.
Batfleck might be over.
And Dan Stevens might be starring in Noah Hawley's Doctor Doom movie.

A good week.
MJW

Postby PrimeMinister » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:59 am

MJW wrote:Spawn is getting another movie.
Batfleck might be over.

A good week.

Batfleck was the best thing about BvS. They're making a mistake.
PrimeMinister

Postby pewterpirates » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:34 pm

pewterpirates

Postby Caradoc » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:38 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
MJW wrote:Spawn is getting another movie.
Batfleck might be over.

A good week.

Batfleck was the best thing about BvS. They're making a mistake.

Yeah, that's interesting, I thought for sure casting him was a huge mistake, but he was really good as Batman.
Caradoc

Previous

Return to Off Topic