Official Superhero Discussion Thread

General Discussion on any Off Topic subject
Re: Official Superhero Discussion Thread

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:41 pm

Blue 80 wrote:She's firmly established in the DCEU now. Solid movie.

Reminded me of Captain America The first Avenger.

Marvel probably was hoping for this type of film with Captain America. But that origin movie was one of their worst. Very poor. Wonder Woman was way better.
Bootz2004

Postby RedLeader » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:32 pm

Good. Looking forward to it. A bonus scene would be if she kills off Jared Leto's Joker....

No spoilers, though!
RedLeader

Postby Bucsgirl-DK » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:02 am

Just watched Guardians of the Galaxy 2 and it's probably my new favorite Marvel movie.

It's the whole feel of the movie with the characters, the humor and the music that makes it special to me. I loved Groot in the first movie, but baby Groot is absolutely adorable. The plot was alright but became secondary to me. I could watch this group do just about anything and it would always be entertaining.
Bucsgirl-DK

Postby Blue 80 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:11 am

Bootz2004 wrote:

Marvel probably was hoping for this type of film with Captain America. But that origin movie was one of their worst. Very poor. Wonder Woman was way better.

It may not stand up to the progression that these films have made over the years, but at the time, CA:TFA Was a very well made film IMO. Certainly better than the Hulk movies. The throwback vibe WW had is where the similarities come from.

I'd also like to add that Gal Gadot is my new hall pass. She can whip my ass anytime.
Blue 80

Postby terrytate » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:43 am

Blue 80 wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

It may not stand up to the progression that these films have made over the years, but at the time, CA:TFA Was a very well made film IMO. Certainly better than the Hulk movies. The throwback vibe WW had is where the similarities come from.

I'd also like to add that Gal Gadot is my new hall pass. She can whip my ass anytime.

IMO, the most interesting parts of the first Cap movie were about him getting turned into Cap. Skinny Steve FTW. It was good movie, only weak compared to the best MCU movies.

Wonder Woman was great. They managed to dig just enough into the horrors of war to get their point across but not so deep that it dragged the movie out of the comfort zone a comic movie should exist in. Good script, good cast, good movie. Very reminiscent of a Marvel movie.

Oh, and it took me a minute to realize that the grizzled Amazon war captain was Princess Buttercup.
terrytate

Postby PrimeMinister » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:04 am

Hell no. Cap 1was campy and acceptable only because it meant we were getting the Avengers. WW was more on par with Winter Soldier.
PrimeMinister

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:02 am

PrimeMinister wrote:

Hell no. Cap 1was campy and acceptable only because it meant we were getting the Avengers. WW was more on par with Winter Soldier.

That's what held Cap1 back and it's also what made WW shine. Cap1 was made simply to introduce him and other elements for the Avengers. How he got his powers, why he's still alive after 70 years, the tesserac. WW as you stated earlier PM, made very little mention to the DCEU. It focused soley on her character and the story, which was a very good story.
Bootz2004

Postby PrimeMinister » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:18 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:

That's what held Cap1 back and it's also what made WW shine. Cap1 was made simply to introduce him and other elements for the Avengers. How he got his powers, why he's still alive after 70 years, the tesserac. WW as you stated earlier PM, made very little mention to the DCEU. It focused soley on her character and the story, which was a very good story.

Yep. They concerned themselves with telling a good story before building the universe and it paid off. Let's hope DCEU builds on this and tells more great stories.

Edit: Marvel eventually got the hang of telling great or engaging & entertaining stories while also universe building. The Cap movies do more universe building than any of the others, yet the last two were great (Winter Soldier) and engaging entertainment (Civil War). This isn't easy, but they have found a great balance there that hasn't been found in the Thor movies yet.
PrimeMinister

Postby PrimeMinister » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:25 pm

OMG
PrimeMinister

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:36 pm

Holy ****!! Now that's how you respond to Wonder Woman! Wow!
Bootz2004

Postby Blue 80 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:12 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:Holy ****!! Now that's how you respond to Wonder Woman! Wow!

Now I have to go back and watch Civil War again.
Blue 80

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:20 pm

Blue 80 wrote:

Now I have to go back and watch Civil War again.

Civil War spoke very little of Wakanda. If anything I'd say rewatching Age of Ultron would help more, depending on what you're looking for.
Bootz2004

Postby PrimeMinister » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:35 pm

It looks ****ing amazing. Absolutely cannot wait. I'll buy me and Mrs. PM tickets the day they're available.

That cast is unbelievable.
PrimeMinister

Postby Super K » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:31 am

Daughter is SO pumped for Black Panther..she was almost jumping out of her skin watching that trailer..

Looks pretty damn good..
Super K

Postby Teitan » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:09 am

I think it looks pretty good but I'm not nearly as pumped as you guys seem to be. Visually, it looks pretty awesome and different than a lot of Marvel movies.
Teitan

Postby PrimeMinister » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:46 pm

I don't think I've ever been more excited about a preview.
PrimeMinister

Postby Deja Entendu » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:01 pm

I'm watching The Dark Knight for the hell I don't even know how many'th time and god damn was The Joker fantastic -- Ledger's performance and the writing of the character were perfect.

For me it's easily one of the greatest villains in the history of film.

Such a shame not to see the full arc of the character, but obviously even more of a shame to lose such a young talent.
Deja Entendu

Postby Phantom Phenom » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:46 am

Just saw Wonder Woman. Great movie!!
Phantom Phenom

Postby pewterpirates » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:00 pm

Spider-man: Homecoming is getting great early reviews. Even a couple of "Greatest superhero movie ever" type of reaction. I don't know about that. But at least it's nice to hear Marvel did Spidey well. Can't wait for it.

Still beyond pissed Venom & the Black Cat spinoffs won't have anything to do with Spider-man. That's the dumbest thing ever. It's literally like not including Luke Skywalker in the same movie with Darth Vader.
pewterpirates

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:24 pm

Spider-Man was amazing. I think they finally got it right. Also those worried about Tony Stark having an overshadowing presence can relax. He was used perfectly in this movie.
Bootz2004

Postby Deja Entendu » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:24 pm

pewterpirates wrote:Spider-man: Homecoming is getting great early reviews. Even a couple of "Greatest superhero movie ever" type of reaction. I don't know about that. But at least it's nice to hear Marvel did Spidey well. Can't wait for it.

Still beyond pissed Venom & the Black Cat spinoffs won't have anything to do with Spider-man. That's the dumbest thing ever. It's literally like not including Luke Skywalker in the same movie with Darth Vader.

You'll be happy to know that both Venom and Black-Cat films will be in the same universe as this Spider-man.
Deja Entendu

Postby Deja Entendu » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:24 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:Spider-Man was amazing. I think they finally got it right. Also those worried about Tony Stark having an overshadowing presence can relax. He was used perfectly in this movie.

Good to hear. I'll probably take the kids on Sunday.
Deja Entendu

Postby Super K » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:12 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:Spider-Man was amazing. I think they finally got it right. Also those worried about Tony Stark having an overshadowing presence can relax. He was used perfectly in this movie.

This post is spot on..

It was fun, funny..BEST Spidey movie and actor by far..
Super K

Postby RedLeader » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:25 pm

Good to hear.

Hows The Vulture?
RedLeader

Postby Super K » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:20 pm

RedLeader wrote:Good to hear.

Hows The Vulture?

I thought he was a great villain..Keaton's portrayal was top notch..

It was an awesome storyline, every encounter a Superhero has with some baddies doesn't have to be a "global threat" or planet killing situation..
Super K

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:51 am

Super K wrote:
RedLeader wrote:Good to hear.

Hows The Vulture?

I thought he was a great villain..Keaton's portrayal was top notch..

It was an awesome storyline, every encounter a Superhero has with some baddies doesn't have to be a "global threat" or planet killing situation..

Agreed. He wasn't planning world domination. His motive in facts invokes some sympathy from the viewer.
Bootz2004

Postby pewterpirates » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:41 pm

Deja Entendu wrote:
pewterpirates wrote:Spider-man: Homecoming is getting great early reviews. Even a couple of "Greatest superhero movie ever" type of reaction. I don't know about that. But at least it's nice to hear Marvel did Spidey well. Can't wait for it.

You'll be happy to know that both Venom and Black-Cat films will be in the same universe as this Spider-man.

No. They backtracked on that. Something like they'll be in similar reality but different universe or some stupid crap like that. Basically, the Venom and Black Cat movies won't have anything to do with Spider-man, and that's the point.

Spider-man Homecoming was really good. I loved Michael Keaton as Toombs/the Vulture. He was excellent.

I don't get why they felt the need to make Aunt May so young or why they had to completely change characters like Flash and Ned Leeds (even though the kid who played Ned was great).

Spoiler:
They barely mentioned Peter being bitten by a spider & I don't recall them referring Uncle Ben much at all. I wonder if those will be included in future movies? I know we've seen them in the first two iterations on the big screen. Would still like to see Marvel's version.
pewterpirates

Postby PrimeMinister » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:18 pm

pewterpirates wrote:
Deja Entendu wrote:

No. They backtracked on that. Something like they'll be in similar reality but different universe or some stupid crap like that. Basically, the Venom and Black Cat movies won't have anything to do with Spider-man, and that's the point.

Spider-man Homecoming was really good. I loved Michael Keaton as Toombs/the Vulture. He was excellent.

I don't get why they felt the need to make Aunt May so young or why they had to completely change characters like Flash and Ned Leeds (even though the kid who played Ned was great).

Spoiler:
They barely mentioned Peter being bitten by a spider & I don't recall them referring Uncle Ben much at all. I wonder if those will be included in future movies? I know we've seen them in the first two iterations on the big screen. Would still like to see Marvel's version.

Regarding your spoiler that was one of the highlights for me. After 5 total prior Spider-Man films including two origin stories I'm over seeing the spider bite moment or hearing about responsibility. I'd rather move the hell on and I'm glad Marvel did.
PrimeMinister

Postby Teitan » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:44 pm

So I saw Wonder Woman...

I liked the movie. I liked the character. Felt that I got a solid origin story. However...

The movie was/is massively overhyped. It was certainly nowhere near "best superhero movie ever" status. I'd read SO much hype all over the internet and I don't think it lived up to all that hype.
Teitan

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:01 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
pewterpirates wrote:

Spoiler:

Regarding your spoiler that was one of the highlights for me. After 5 total prior Spider-Man films including two origin stories I'm over seeing the spider bite moment or hearing about responsibility. I'd rather move the hell on and I'm glad Marvel did.

Likewise. I'm glad this film wasn't an origin story so to speak. Nothing felt like it was missing at all. They're basically doing the same with Black Panther as well.

And Aunt May being young was great.
Bootz2004

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic