Official WWE thread

General Discussion on any Off Topic subject
Official WWE thread

Postby Jonny » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:51 pm

This thread may end up being pointless considering how WWE has become unpopular lately, but the wave of WWE hate following the Royal Rumble prompted me to see if there were anyone still following this sport and anyone that still liked it. FYI, I have not seriously followed WWE ever since JBL and HHH's roles of champions/heels came to a finish during 06 Wrestlemania.

It looks like WWE is on the cusp of a major downward spiral. Roman Reigns got the push during Royal Rumble and from what I hear, he sucks as a wrestler and sucks much more on the mic. I took 1 week to follow major storylines and progression in the last decade.

So anyone still watching WWE? What do you think of how it has been lately?
Jonny

Re: Official WWE thread

Postby Grim Reaper » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:02 pm

Is Sammartino still the Champ...?
Grim Reaper

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:08 pm

The only Wrestler that crowds like is Daniel Bryan. They hate John Cena. They hate Reigns now because he won the Royal Rumble. Reigns isn't that bad of a wrestler. He just has absolutely no charisma what so ever. They used his real life cousin, the Rock, to sort of try and get him over with the crowd. Didn't work.

I'll say I do not think the product is bad at all. Crowds just want to choose who they cheer for and who they boo. Cena has taken a back seat as of late because people are tired of him being shoved down their throats. Me personally I don't see the big deal with Daniel Bryan. All he does is chant "YES YES YES" like an idiot. But he's not that great of a wrestler. The best wrestler on the roster now is a guy named Dolph Ziggler. And the crowd likes him too but for whatever reason he doesn't get a push.
Bootz2004

Postby Grim Reaper » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:16 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:...his real life cousin, the Rock...

Try again...
Grim Reaper

Postby Jonny » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:23 pm

I was a HUGE fan of WWE during the attitude era. I don't think I ever enjoyed football as much as I enjoyed WWE between 98 to 02. Boy what a time it was. You had multiple personalities that could draw the crowds by themselves in Stone Cold, The Undertaker, The Rock, HBK, HHH, Kurt Angle, Booker T and Kane before he took off the mask. There were some extremely talented old school wrestlers like Chris Benoit and Ken Shamrock that could win games against the big guys and not have the crowd wonder wtf just happened. Even small timers like Test, Billy Gunn, Jericho (at that time), APA had so much charisma to them.

I am currently watching RAW and looking at guys like Daniel Bryan, Roman Reigns as the leading "faces" beating up on old, fat Big Show and Kane is pathetic. I also see some guys like Seth Rollins and Dolph Ziggler who look okay, but overall none seem capable of being entertaining enough to rejuvenate the business. May be my time off for almost a decade is making me disconnected with the new personalities.

As far as good things go, Lesnar and descent of Cena. I am also enjoying JBL and BookerT as the commentators.
Jonny

Postby Jonny » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:33 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:The only Wrestler that crowds like is Daniel Bryan. They hate John Cena. They hate Reigns now because he won the Royal Rumble. Reigns isn't that bad of a wrestler. He just has absolutely no charisma what so ever. They used his real life cousin, the Rock, to sort of try and get him over with the crowd. Didn't work.

I'll say I do not think the product is bad at all. Crowds just want to choose who they cheer for and who they boo. Cena has taken a back seat as of late because people are tired of him being shoved down their throats. Me personally I don't see the big deal with Daniel Bryan. All he does is chant "YES YES YES" like an idiot. But he's not that great of a wrestler. The best wrestler on the roster now is a guy named Dolph Ziggler. And the crowd likes him too but for whatever reason he doesn't get a push.

I saw a few bits of Reigns where he speaks and god damn he sucks. He definitely looks the part of a heavy hitter and a face that can carry this business. But the moment he opens his mouth, I tend to tune out.

As far as Daniel Bryan goes, I remember years back he was Kane's partner and there was this ongoing tirade that involved both of them undergoing anger management classes, having emotional breakdowns etc. I thought it was funny and entertaining then. I can't believe he is the most liked wrestler of all now.

And what happened to CM Punk?
Jonny

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:36 pm

I'm staying out of this thread until I get caught up on Raw tomorrow night.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:36 pm

Jonny I think what's miss is the character element to the show. The lines between sports entertainment and real life have been blended. There are no characters anymore. They try to pass these guys as regular guys living their regular lives and coming to work as WWE Superstars. When I was a kid, there were characters with made up stories and lives who had slogans and sayings and such. That's missing now.
Bootz2004

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:41 pm

Jonny wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:The only Wrestler that crowds like is Daniel Bryan. They hate John Cena. They hate Reigns now because he won the Royal Rumble. Reigns isn't that bad of a wrestler. He just has absolutely no charisma what so ever. They used his real life cousin, the Rock, to sort of try and get him over with the crowd. Didn't work.

I saw a few bits of Reigns where he speaks and god damn he sucks. He definitely looks the part of a heavy hitter and a face that can carry this business. But the moment he opens his mouth, I tend to tune out.

As far as Daniel Bryan goes, I remember years back he was Kane's partner and there was this ongoing tirade that involved both of them undergoing anger management classes, having emotional breakdowns etc. I thought it was funny and entertaining then. I can't believe he is the most liked wrestler of all now.

And what happened to CM Punk?

IMO if Reigns did his talking in the ring and never got on the mike ala Sting when he went to black & white in the 90s or Edge his 1st 2 years in the business the better. Or get him a manager who can do all the talking for him, but I don't see that as possible as they've painted him as a loner out here on his own.

Bryan is nothing special. The Yes chant started out as the crowd mocking him a couple years back. Now it's a movement. it's so annoying.

CM Punk retired almost a year ago and is training for MMA. He did marry AJ Lee though in real life.
Bootz2004

Postby Phantom Phenom » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:48 pm

Triple H is my favorite wrestler.. Good to see him on TV..

Looking forward to HHH VS Sting Wrestlemania

Oh

Paige...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... ampion.jpg
Phantom Phenom

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:53 pm

HHH is just a suit now. Stephanie McMahon is a master on the mike though and the crowd hates her. She's by far the most hated heel(bad guy) in the business now (for those who don't know that's a good thing.)
Bootz2004

Postby Jonny » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:55 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:Jonny I think what's miss is the character element to the show. The lines between sports entertainment and real life have been blended. There are no characters anymore. They try to pass these guys as regular guys living their regular lives and coming to work as WWE Superstars. When I was a kid, there were characters with made up stories and lives who had slogans and sayings and such. That's missing now.

I listened to Triple H interview on Stone Cold podcast recently and they were saying the same thing. Thanks to social media and the knowledge that WWE is clearly fake, the kayfabe era is pretty much over. I was surprised that on WWE radio, both WWE employees and all time great wrestlers were saying things as they were.
Jonny

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:10 pm

Jonny wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:Jonny I think what's miss is the character element to the show. The lines between sports entertainment and real life have been blended. There are no characters anymore. They try to pass these guys as regular guys living their regular lives and coming to work as WWE Superstars. When I was a kid, there were characters with made up stories and lives who had slogans and sayings and such. That's missing now.

I listened to Triple H interview on Stone Cold podcast recently and they were saying the same thing. Thanks to social media and the knowledge that WWE is clearly fake, the kayfabe era is pretty much over. I was surprised that on WWE radio, both WWE employees and all time great wrestlers were saying things as they were.

Yep. And if you're not entertaining enough on your own as yourself, which most of these guys aren't, that's when you run into problems. They have no character back story to draw on. The heels are more loved by crowds than the faces are now a days.

And you're right about social media. No one is going to believe a thing about you when they see you're fighting someone on TV and 2 days later you post a pic of you 2 having coffee.
Bootz2004

Postby Pewterslimsme » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:46 am

I miss Jericho
Pewterslimsme

Postby Jessie's Girl » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:57 am

Is he becoming a "good" guy now?

Jessie's Girl

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:52 am

Jessie's Girl wrote:Is he becoming a "good" guy now?

I hope not
Bootz2004

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:53 am

Pewterslimsme wrote:I miss Jericho

There was a PPV here in Tampa last summer and I took my boys. Jericho wrestled that night against some psycho named Bray Wyatt. Even in his mid 40s Jericho still has it.
Bootz2004

Postby Jessie's Girl » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:07 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
Jessie's Girl wrote:Is he becoming a "good" guy now?

I hope not

I like him!!

And of course to see The Undertaker again would be cool!
Jessie's Girl

Postby Buc2 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:25 am

Well, at least this thread was put in the proper forum.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Pewterslimsme » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:45 am

Bootz2004 wrote:

There was a PPV here in Tampa last summer and I took my boys. Jericho wrestled that night against some psycho named Bray Wyatt. Even in his mid 40s Jericho still has it.

One of the funniest guys on the mic I had ever seen...probably he and The Rock were the best of that era as far as cutting promos. His conspiracy victim gimmick with WCW was pure gold. Great in ring as well but good Lord on the mic he was the best.
Pewterslimsme

Postby Jonny » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:55 am

One thing I was extremely surprised to see was how the fans completely turned against Cena in the last few years. I quit watching WWE because Cena did not cut it for me as the face of the business playing the goody two shoes. Guys like Stone Cold, Rock, Triple H, HBK and even silent Undertaker had "good bad guy" schticks and based on their match ups and story lines, they could turn heel in an instant and be natural at it . With Cena only able to play face, I am sure fans got tired of the stagnancy.

Jonny

Postby PetePierson » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:03 am

Bootz2004 wrote:. Me personally I don't see the big deal with Daniel Bryan. All he does is chant "YES YES YES" like an idiot. But he's not that great of a wrestler.

Also nailing one of the Bella twins so dude is winning.... BIG TIME!
PetePierson

Postby Hit55 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:00 am

Bootz2004 wrote:

Hey! I like that "psycho." Seriously...at this point in WWE's tenure, he's become my favorite guy in the business. You actually might remember him as the "fat guy" that couldn't cut it with the Nexus group some years ago, Husky Harris. His in ring skills are very good for a man his size and this new character of his, mic work and promos are among the top in the business at this point. I am disappointed that his character does enough to get in the minds of people only to receive a beat down at every PPV. But yes, Jericho still has it. One of the most entertaining people in the business (when he's there). His books are fantastic too. I got his second book some years ago while he was doing a signing tour and got it autographed. Really awesome dude.

As for why people love Ziggler and Bryan so much, it started with the "hardcore fans." The ones that do follow entire careers of wrestlers. Ziggler and Bryan's work in the indie scene was quite popular. They both have crazy talent and can cut very good mic promos, either as heel or face. Those hardcore fans are the ones that cheered these guys when they were originally (and meant to be) booed. Then the kiddies of the crowd started following suit when they would hear more and more people cheering for them. Bryan's massive popularity did kinda happen overnight though, but it isn't misplaced. If they let Bryan be Bryan, anyone could be in awe of his actual in-ring skills and technicality. Reigns is just terrible.

As for the WWE, they're in this weird transitional period right now where it seems like they're trying to bring bits of the "attitude era" back, but they're under strict guidelines (see: orders) to keep it rated PG. I know deep down, HHH wants the attitude era to return...and why not? That made him who he is. But Vince McMahon saw that era fade away and shifted his attention to the kids more so than the adults.

I haven't watched the show in a couple months but am aware they have brought Sting to the WWE. Actually the last thing I watched was him making his debut at one of the PPVs (forgot which one it was). I'm glad my ex-girlfriend and I are still good friends and she lets me use her WWE Network account, otherwise, I wouldn't be watching much at all.
Hit55

Postby Heisenberg » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:10 am

Didn't know we had so many 14 year olds on the board.
Heisenberg

Postby Hit55 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:12 am

Heisenberg wrote:Didn't know we had so many 14 year olds on the board.

Daaaaamn...
Hit55

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:20 am

Hit55 wrote:
Hey! I like that "psycho." Seriously...at this point in WWE's tenure, he's become my favorite guy in the business. You actually might remember him as the "fat guy" that couldn't cut it with the Nexus group some years ago, Husky Harris. His in ring skills are very good for a man his size and this new character of his, mic work and promos are among the top in the business at this point. I am disappointed that his character does enough to get in the minds of people only to receive a beat down at every PPV. But yes, Jericho still has it. One of the most entertaining people in the business (when he's there). His books are fantastic too. I got his second book some years ago while he was doing a signing tour and got it autographed. Really awesome dude.

As for why people love Ziggler and Bryan so much, it started with the "hardcore fans." The ones that do follow entire careers of wrestlers. Ziggler and Bryan's work in the indie scene was quite popular. They both have crazy talent and can cut very good mic promos, either as heel or face. Those hardcore fans are the ones that cheered these guys when they were originally (and meant to be) booed. Then the kiddies of the crowd started following suit when they would hear more and more people cheering for them. Bryan's massive popularity did kinda happen overnight though, but it isn't misplaced. If they let Bryan be Bryan, anyone could be in awe of his actual in-ring skills and technicality. Reigns is just terrible.

As for the WWE, they're in this weird transitional period right now where it seems like they're trying to bring bits of the "attitude era" back, but they're under strict guidelines (see: orders) to keep it rated PG. I know deep down, HHH wants the attitude era to return...and why not? That made him who he is. But Vince McMahon saw that era fade away and shifted his attention to the kids more so than the adults.

I haven't watched the show in a couple months but am aware they have brought Sting to the WWE. Actually the last thing I watched was him making his debut at one of the PPVs (forgot which one it was). I'm glad my ex-girlfriend and I are still good friends and she lets me use her WWE Network account, otherwise, I wouldn't be watching much at all.

WOW! I had no idea he was the same guy! I forgot about him, but all of the other members of Nexus I remember. I like the character Wyatt, but to me it's been done before. Mankind did it better IMO with the crazy. The Undertaker played the mind games a lot better. Ironically they have Wyatt doing these promos each week where he's talking about darkness and where we go when we die and he's calling someone out. I believe it's the Undertaker, who now only wrestles 1 match a year at Wrestlemania.

Jericho's done wrestling fulltime but I heard he's still doing non-televised live shows for WWE.

I remember specifically when the hardcore fans would chant "DANIEL BRYAN" the week after he was initially fired for choking out the ring announcer with his tie when the Nexus invaded Raw. In the attitude era, that would've gotten him a big push. But in the PG era it was considered too violent and he was fired as a result. WWE had no choice but to bring him back and when he returned, like you said, that's when the younger fans followed suit with the hardcore fans for cheering him.

Ziggler, IMO is a star and should be given more respect. But his career won't be the same IMO without Vickie Guerrero, who was one of the top heels and masters on the mike in the business. Not just female, she was one of the best. No one could draw as much heat from a crowd as she did. She did the talking while Ziggler did the wrestling, and he's a damn good wrestler. He and Bray Wyatt had a great matchup last week.

Sting, I never really cared for. I care less now for a 56 year old man running around in the same makeup he has been for the last 18 years.
Bootz2004

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:22 am

Heisenberg wrote:Didn't know we had so many 14 year olds on the board.

Yea, that's who's driving this multimillion dollar industry each week for the last 30+ years......14 year olds. They buy the PPVs, buy the $85+ tickets to live events, buy the merchandise, fill up 15,000 seat areans each week....14 year olds..
Bootz2004

Postby Heisenberg » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:27 am

Lol. I really juat dont see how adults can get into this ****. Horrible soap opera storylines with horrible fake predetermined fights.

Ill stick to ufc and boxing.
Heisenberg

Postby Pewterslimsme » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:38 am

Heisenberg wrote:Lol. I really juat dont see how adults can get into this ****. Horrible soap opera storylines with horrible fake predetermined fights.

Ill stick to ufc and boxing.
Pewterslimsme

Postby Heisenberg » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:45 am

Wait, youre not really comparing the wwe to boxing are you? Or am I just high?
Heisenberg

Next

Return to Off Topic