The Good News Thread

General Discussion on any Off Topic subject
The Good News Thread

Postby Pewterslimsme » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:17 am

Since these college kids get picked apart on a regular basis I figured I'd post a feel good for a change.

As some of you know my son is autistic, but thankfully very highly functioning so this story hits really close to home for us...

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. — While visiting Montford Middle School with teammates on Tuesday, Florida State University wide receiver Travis Rudolph spotted a boy sitting by himself at lunch, and asked if he could sit next to him according to the Orlando Sentinel.

Later in the day, Bo Paske’s mom posted a photo to Facebook that is capturing hearts.

“I’m not sure what exactly made this incredibly kind man share a lunch table with my son, but I’m happy to say that it will not soon be forgotten,” she wrote.

“He started off and was so open,” Rudolph told the newspaper. “He told me his name was Bo, and how much he loves Florida State, and he went from there.”

Rudolph is the Seminoles’ leading returning receiver, and in addition to earning the praise of his coaches, gained a mother’s love, who says they’re now FSU fans for life.

“This is one day I didn’t have to worry if my sweet boy ate lunch alone, because he sat across from someone who is a hero in many eyes,” the mom stated in her post.
Last edited by Pewterslimsme on Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pewterslimsme

Re: Some good news for a change...

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:44 am

One of the best parts of football is how it can teach boys to not just be men, but good men.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby EastBayBucsFan » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:47 am

Good for Rudolph, hope him and Francois have a big year. These stories are quite common, it's a shame the media focuses so much on the negative.

Yes there are two paths you can go by, but in the long run, there's still time to change the road you're on
EastBayBucsFan

Postby Buc2 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:55 am

Great story! Thanks for the share.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby NYBF » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:12 pm

*bump*
NYBF

Postby Crocaneers » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:28 pm

One day good will outsell bad

We as consumers can make that happen.

I turn the channels when they start talking about a certain QB, and any arrest.
Crocaneers

Postby RedLeader » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:45 pm

We should honesty have a thread dedicated to this kind of news. I'd welcome that.
RedLeader

Postby Corsair » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:16 am

RedLeader wrote:We should honesty have a thread dedicated to this kind of news. I'd welcome that.

Seconded!
Corsair

Postby Crocaneers » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:22 am

Nine year old waits 30 minutes in rain for tribute to veterans funeral

http://ijr.com/2016/09/685807-nine-year ... rocession/
Crocaneers

Re: The Good News Thread

Postby Corsair » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:07 am

In tremendous show of support, all 57 members of a California high school football team placed an orange rose at the feet of cheerleader Ashley Adamietz, who is battling leukemia. "She's part of the Cougar family, so why not let her know that we're all here for her?"
Corsair

Postby Pewterslimsme » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:39 am

That's very cool
Pewterslimsme

Postby NYBF » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:27 pm

Click through to watch the video
http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/local-n ... 5211-story

NOVI, Mich. (WJBK) - While he's usually helping the football team as water boy, it was Robby Heil's turn to shine on the field Friday.

He's the heart soul of the Wildcat football team at Novi High School. He's been a part of it for four years as the water boy but on Friday night, he was so much more.

In a pre-arranged plan with other local school South Lyon East, Wildcat Coach Jeff Burnside called a play just for Robby.

A screen pass at the thirty -- and Robby hightails it.

All of this came as a surprise to Robby's biggest fan watching from the stands -- His mom, who is terminally ill.

"I presently have cancer and this team has just been so instrumental in helping me get him to practice while I'm at chemo and it takes a village to raise my son and this village has been really outstanding," Robby's mother said.

As everyone chanted, "We love Robby," the football star was overjoyed.

"It makes me feel happy," he said.

And it's safe to say, he makes them happy, too.

"He brings that infectious enthusiasm that our kids love," Coach Burnside said. "No matter how bad a day he's having it's a smile from ear to ear and the opportunity to put that helmet on tonight, I mean it brought tears to my eyes."
NYBF

Postby NYBF » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:52 am

http://www.people.com/article/bullied-i ... hday-party

Just like most 11 year olds, Braden Garnett wants to celebrate his birthday with friends.

But the Pekin, Illinois, native – who has Asperger's, strabismus (a misalignment of the eyes) and dyslexia – has been bullied because of his conditions.

"Braden only has the same two kids show up for his parties every year. This year, we invited 36 boys, but as of the day before, only three had RSVP'd," his mother, Carrie Garnett, tells PEOPLE.

So Carrie decided to take matters into her own hands to make sure her son's birthday dreams came true.

She reached out to the Pekin Police Department to ask if one or two officers would surprise Braden at his paintball party on Sunday. "He loves anyone in uniform – police, fire, military!" Carrie shares.

"Much to our amazement, we had a fire truck show up with four or five firefighters, at least 10 police officers, the police chief and the Mayor of Pekin," Carris says.

Detective Mike Eeten from the Pekin Police Department received Carrie's initial email.

"She said her son is sometimes bullied and has some not very nice things said to him," Eeten tells PEOPLE. "We thought, 'We've got to do something to help this kid.' He's just the sweetest kid."

Moved by Braden's story, the police officers decided to not only attend the party on Sunday, but to pool some money for gifts and bring some of their own kids along, too. News quickly spread and some firemen jumped on board as well.

Braden's mother dropped hints of a special birthday surprise to her son. But when the day of his party came around, nothing could have prepared Braden for the arrival of police officers, fire fighters, some new friends and Mayor John McCabe. Not only did they come ready to play some paintball, but they brought presents, too, including a police station Lego set. A K9 officer even brought his dog, Ahen, for the kids to meet.

Braden kept repeating the phrase, "I'm breathless," in response to his surprise guests.

"Perkin has the most amazing police and fire to do this for my little guy," Carrie says.

For Eeten, the birthday party was meaningful in defining the role of a police officer.

"It was fun to see the kids of the officers interacting with Braden and for them to see that this is something important. Mom and dad as officers do more than arrest people – they do something for the community."

The following day, Braden came to the police station with treats for the officers as a thank you, saying, "You guys were so sweet to me, I wanted to do something sweet for you."

In return, Braden received a tour of the police and fire station, as well as some dinner invitations.

"This is one of the best things I've been a part of in my long time as an officer," Eeten tells PEOPLE.

And Braden's birthday party has gained a bit of fame and recognition, particularly from students at his school.

"This entire experience has made a big difference socially, too," says Carrie. "Now that all the kids and staff at the school have seen the videos of it, they are giving him some positive attention that he is handling wonderfully. He is absolutely glowing from it all."
NYBF

Postby NYBF » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:09 pm

http://www.buccaneers.com/news/article- ... m=referral

Deshaun Watson Raised in Warrick Dunn Home

Former Buccaneer running back Warrick Dunn helped providing housing for Clemson's national champion quarterback, Deshaun Watson.

Warrick Dunn accomplished a lot during his 12-year NFL career. He retired with 10,967 rushing yards and 49 rushing touchdowns, along with the NFL’s Rookie of the Year award and three trips to the Pro Bowl. He is No. 3 on the Buccaneers’ all-time rushing list, trailing James Wilder and Mike Alstott. While his contributions on the field were significant, his efforts off the field have been just as impactful.

Following his playing career, Dunn established a foundation – Warrick Dunn Charities – aimed at providing affordable housing for families in need. After losing his mother, the sole provider of his family’s household, at the age of 18, Dunn vowed to provide affordable housing to those in need.

Over the years, Dunn has helped fill more than 150 homes. Dunn has provided assistance such as furnishing homes for families.

In November of 2006, when Deann Watson walked through the doors of her new home in Gainesville, Georgia, which she helped build for her four children, Dunn was waiting for them. He had fully furnished their home for them.

"We just try to help put people in safer environments and give kids an opportunity," Dunn told the Associated Press. "You never know what impact you will have. You hope it's a positive impact."

One of Watson’s four children, Deshaun, remembers the moment vividly.

"I felt grown having my own room," Watson said. "Just having my own bed, not really being squished, not really worrying about someone sneaking up on me, it was a great moment, a special moment."

Watson, one of college football’s top quarterbacks and runner-up to the Heisman Trophy, led the Clemson Tigers to a 35-31 upset victory over Alabama on Monday night in the National Championship Game at Raymond James Stadium. He is projected to be one of the top picks in the NFL draft in April.
NYBF

Postby Buc2 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:19 pm

NYBF wrote:http://www.buccaneers.com/news/article-1/Deshaun-Watson-Raised-in-Warrick-Dunn-Home/ae91186a-a3fc-466e-9447-e98f36e48160?utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

Deshaun Watson Raised in Warrick Dunn Home

Former Buccaneer running back Warrick Dunn helped providing housing for Clemson's national champion quarterback, Deshaun Watson.

Warrick Dunn accomplished a lot during his 12-year NFL career. He retired with 10,967 rushing yards and 49 rushing touchdowns, along with the NFL’s Rookie of the Year award and three trips to the Pro Bowl. He is No. 3 on the Buccaneers’ all-time rushing list, trailing James Wilder and Mike Alstott. While his contributions on the field were significant, his efforts off the field have been just as impactful.

Following his playing career, Dunn established a foundation – Warrick Dunn Charities – aimed at providing affordable housing for families in need. After losing his mother, the sole provider of his family’s household, at the age of 18, Dunn vowed to provide affordable housing to those in need.

Over the years, Dunn has helped fill more than 150 homes. Dunn has provided assistance such as furnishing homes for families.

In November of 2006, when Deann Watson walked through the doors of her new home in Gainesville, Georgia, which she helped build for her four children, Dunn was waiting for them. He had fully furnished their home for them.

"We just try to help put people in safer environments and give kids an opportunity," Dunn told the Associated Press. "You never know what impact you will have. You hope it's a positive impact."

One of Watson’s four children, Deshaun, remembers the moment vividly.

"I felt grown having my own room," Watson said. "Just having my own bed, not really being squished, not really worrying about someone sneaking up on me, it was a great moment, a special moment."

Watson, one of college football’s top quarterbacks and runner-up to the Heisman Trophy, led the Clemson Tigers to a 35-31 upset victory over Alabama on Monday night in the National Championship Game at Raymond James Stadium. He is projected to be one of the top picks in the NFL draft in April.

Dang. I saw that story and posted it in the college playoff thread. I'm going to delete it if no one else has posted in there yet.

Can’t help but wonder if this may have, in at least some way, helped this young man get where he is today…a National Champion winning QB with, perhaps, a chance to earn millions in the NFL.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby NYBF » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:16 pm

Buc2 wrote:Dang. I saw that story and posted it in the college playoff thread. I'm going to delete it if no one else has posted in there yet.

Can’t help but wonder if this may have, in at least some way, helped this young man get where he is today…a National Champion winning QB with, perhaps, a chance to earn millions in the NFL.

Might as well leave it there. I never venture into the college forum. There are probably some there that don't venture into OT, as well.

And I'm sure it has helped shape him. The true hope, though, is that he realizes it and uses his new status and pays it forward.
NYBF

Postby Buc2 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:43 pm

NYBF wrote:
Buc2 wrote:Dang. I saw that story and posted it in the college playoff thread. I'm going to delete it if no one else has posted in there yet.

Might as well leave it there. I never venture into the college forum. There are probably some there that don't venture into OT, as well.

And I'm sure it has helped shape him. The true hope, though, is that he realizes it and uses his new status and pays it forward.

Agreed.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby IchabodCrane84 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:53 pm

Oops mistook this thread for the David Blaine one.
IchabodCrane84

Postby Kress » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:40 pm

Interesting, I hadn't heard that. By all accounts a great kid, and you'd assume that the charity helped at least a bit, so here's hoping he does pay it forward, as we all should, millionaires or not.
Kress

Postby RedLeader » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:14 pm

IchabodCrane84 wrote:Oops mistook this thread for the David Blaine one.

Haha. Damn dude, you are one funny motherfucker.
RedLeader

Postby Pewterslimsme » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:53 am

SPRINGFIELD -- Meeting Hulk Hogan, shooting hoops with Ben Simmons of the Philadelphia 76ers and raising $13,000 for a friend battling cancer were never on Brady Kahle's list of things to do, and yet the 10-year-old Springfield boy has accomplished that and much more.

"It's been really crazy," said Brady, who recently returned from a trip to Atlantic City, New Jersey, where Upper Deck presented him with his very own baseball card.

"I thought we were going to sell cards at a national convention, I didn't know about the baseball card," said the unassuming pre-teen.

It all started in February, when Brady decided to sell some of his beloved baseball cards and other sports memorabilia in order to help his friend Landen Palatino, an 8-year-old Springfield boy diagnosed with glioblastoma brain cancer in January.

He initially planned on doing one show at the Chicopee Boys & Girls Club Cards & Collectibles show to raise some money for Landen's mom, who had to take leave from work to care for her son. Fast-forward six months, and Brady has raised $13,000 for the family and has even given some funds to a little boy named Ben, who is battling leukemia at Baystate Children's Hospital in Springfield.

"It's been pretty amazing," said Brady's mom Jessie Kahle, who is good friends with Landen's mother Tina Palatino. "We never thought it would become this big. Tina and I went to school with Ben's mom, and we thought it would be great to help them as well."

Last week at the National Sports Collectors Convention in Atlantic City, Brady was presented with his own baseball card as part of Upper Deck's Heroic Inspirations campaign.

"It's for people who have made a difference in their community, and they called me to ask if they could do this for Brady. It was pretty incredible," Jessie Kahle said.

On its website, officials at Upper Deck said they were impressed by Brady's devotion to his friend and his spirit for giving.

"So moved was the team at Upper Deck by Brady's selflessness, the company created a Heroic Inspirations card they presented to Kahle on the main stage of the case breaker pavilion on Friday afternoon," it reads.

"When we told Brady's story at the National to fans, they were incredibly moved and inspired to donate," said Chris Carlin, Upper Deck's senior marketing & social media manager. "There are sometimes negative stories about sports in the media, we wanted to be a part of a great one. Anytime we can leverage the power of our brand to do some good, we jump at the chance."

During the trip, Brady raised an additional $510 for Landen and Ben.

Brady said getting to meet wrestlers Hulk Hogan and Ric Flair and play basketball with Ben Simmons was pretty cool, but ultimately he just wants his friends to be OK. Landen is doing well, but still requires weekly treatment. There is no cure for his disease.

Pancake breakfast to benefit Landen Palatino, undergoing treatment for brain cancer
Pancake breakfast to benefit Landen Palatino, undergoing treatment for brain cancer
The breakfast will be held Sept. 24 in Holyoke, with all proceeds going to the Palatino family.

As the new school year approaches and life gets busy, Brady said he wants to keep selling cards at the Chicopee Boys & Girls Club card shows. This is a big commitment from a 10-year-old, requiring hours of his time spent sorting cards, putting them into packages and now signing his own Upper Deck cards, which he will have available at the card shows.

He is also raising money through the sale of T-shirts reading "Brady Kahle for President #Cards4aCause." All of the proceeds will go to Landen's and Ben's families.

"I just want to help them," Brady said.

Brady's mom said she is proud of her son, but surprised by all of the attention he and Cards for Cause have received.

"Sometimes he does interviews or is asked to speak about what he's done, and he is not a chatty kid, he is just a regular kid who wanted to help his friend," she said.

Brady and his Cards for a Cause booth will return to the Chicopee Boys & Girls Club on Aug. 28 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Pewterslimsme

Postby Crocaneers » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:56 pm

For Morganton, North Carolina, teen Mitchell Greathouse, challenges are something he has faced since he was diagnosed with spastic quadriplegic cerebral palsy when he was 9 months old.

Has that stopped him from reaching his goals? Never.

According to his peers, Mitchell is the No. 1 fan of the Freedom High School basketball team. When head coach Casey Rogers challenged him to do 50 steps in his gait trainer to earn a spot as a starter for one game, you'd better believe it was game on.

Mitchell met his first challenge in one day. Rogers told Mitchell that he would make him a starter in Freedom's big rivalry game against Patton High.

The entire community came together to watch Mitchell's dream come true. As he walked onto the court, both sides of the gym roared for him. On his first play, he passed and was awarded an assist following his teammate's basket

According to WSOC TV, Rogers said this moment was much bigger than the game; it was one young man's living example to his peers of triumph over adversity.

"They learn about how someone's spirit and strength and courage can affect so many people around them," Rogers said.

Mitchell's peers couldn't agree more, according to Madison Devinney, who recorded the big moment.

"Mitchell shows that the sky is the limit and to never give up," Devinney said. "It was a moment that no one will ever forget

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/page/i ... tball-team
Crocaneers

Postby Buc2 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:28 am

Crocaneers wrote:Image
For Morganton, North Carolina, teen Mitchell Greathouse, challenges are something he has faced since he was diagnosed with spastic quadriplegic cerebral palsy when he was 9 months old.

Has that stopped him from reaching his goals? Never.

According to his peers, Mitchell is the No. 1 fan of the Freedom High School basketball team. When head coach Casey Rogers challenged him to do 50 steps in his gait trainer to earn a spot as a starter for one game, you'd better believe it was game on.

Mitchell met his first challenge in one day. Rogers told Mitchell that he would make him a starter in Freedom's big rivalry game against Patton High.

The entire community came together to watch Mitchell's dream come true. As he walked onto the court, both sides of the gym roared for him. On his first play, he passed and was awarded an assist following his teammate's basket

According to WSOC TV, Rogers said this moment was much bigger than the game; it was one young man's living example to his peers of triumph over adversity.

"They learn about how someone's spirit and strength and courage can affect so many people around them," Rogers said.

Mitchell's peers couldn't agree more, according to Madison Devinney, who recorded the big moment.

"Mitchell shows that the sky is the limit and to never give up," Devinney said. "It was a moment that no one will ever forget

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/page/i ... tball-team

Cool story. I lived in Morganton for a small amount of time growing up. Went to 4th grade there. Still have family that lives there in fact. The last time I visited there was when I took my mom to see her sister about 6 years ago.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby NYBF » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:23 am

NYBF

Postby Buc2 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:32 am

Nice trolling attempt. Not biting.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby NYBF » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:48 am

Buc2 wrote:Nice trolling attempt. Not biting.

You think a story about random strangers getting together to remove anti-Semitic graffiti from a train is a troll attempt? OK.
NYBF

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:52 am

I can't believe Trump would graffiti trains like that, the guy has no lower bounds on what he'd do. Wonder how much taxpayer money it cost us from his secret service escort while he spray painted?
Zarniwoop

Postby Phantom Phenom » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:55 am

Atlanta Falcons lost!!!!
Phantom Phenom

Postby NBA Live 95 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:57 pm

Falcons had a meltdown for the ages and I got to do some gloating at the office today.

NBA Live 95

Postby NYBF » Wed May 03, 2017 3:50 pm

NYBF

Next

Return to Off Topic