Tim Tebow: Updated Resume

General Discussion on any Off Topic subject
Re: Tim Tebow: Updated Resume

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:10 am

Hit55 wrote:I forget where I read it, but I remember seeing that Tebow has hit a homerun in each of his first plate appearances with:

The Mets Instructional League (when he was first signed)
The Columbia Fireflies
And the St. Lucie Mets

What are the odds he hits one his first at bat if he gets promoted again?

I haven't been tracking this. What kind of stats is he getting?
Mountaineer Buc

Postby uscbucsfan » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:13 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Hit55 wrote:I forget where I read it, but I remember seeing that Tebow has hit a homerun in each of his first plate appearances with:

The Columbia Fireflies
And the St. Lucie Mets

https://www.baseball-reference.com/regi ... bow-000tim
uscbucsfan

Postby Rocker » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:14 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:

The Columbia Fireflies
And the St. Lucie Mets

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?pl ... g/2017/ALL
Rocker

Postby Crocaneers » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:19 pm

Happy Birthday TimTebow !!
Crocaneers

Postby Ken Carson » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:48 pm

The Columbia Fireflies
And the St. Lucie Mets

100%
Ken Carson

Postby NYBF » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:51 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:

The Columbia Fireflies
And the St. Lucie Mets

He's hit a slump the last couple weeks, but when he was promoted (prematurely, by nearly all accounts), he performed well above expectations.
NYBF

Postby uscbucsfan » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:26 pm

NYBF wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:I haven't been tracking this. What kind of stats is he getting?

He's hit a slump the last couple weeks, but when he was promoted (prematurely, by nearly all accounts), he performed well above expectations.

I think they will continue to promote him regardless of how well or poorly he does. I don't know if he'll make it all the way to the majors, but it wouldn't shock me.

Even thought it looks like around .230 is about where he is as a hitter, he's still much better than I thought he would be.
uscbucsfan

Postby NYBF » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:05 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
NYBF wrote:

I think they will continue to promote him regardless of how well or poorly he does. I don't know if he'll make it all the way to the majors, but it wouldn't shock me.

Even thought it looks like around .230 is about where he is as a hitter, he's still much better than I thought he would be.

On the business side, the move to Port St Lucie was an obvious one. That club is owned by the MLB franchise, so there's a more-direct line of revenue with the promotion. Tebow's impact on attendance numbers in the SAL was clear as day, both at home and on the road. Attendance numbers across the FSL are abysmal. Him being in the league provides an instant boost to every club in the league.

The next step would be AA. That team is not owned by the club. But they have a brand new owner who has made a pledge to keep that franchise in Binghamton. After some animosity between the big club and the old owners, a token promotion wouldn't be the worst idea. But I don't think it would mean the same to that team and league. All the clubs in the Eastern League are in the mid-Atlantic and northeast. There are only 3 teams south / west of Pennsylvania: Ohio, Maryland, and Virginia. Would Tebow have that same appeal in those areas?
NYBF

Postby Buc2 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:20 am

NYBF wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:

On the business side, the move to Port St Lucie was an obvious one. That club is owned by the MLB franchise, so there's a more-direct line of revenue with the promotion. Tebow's impact on attendance numbers in the SAL was clear as day, both at home and on the road. Attendance numbers across the FSL are abysmal. Him being in the league provides an instant boost to every club in the league.

The next step would be AA. That team is not owned by the club. But they have a brand new owner who has made a pledge to keep that franchise in Binghamton. After some animosity between the big club and the old owners, a token promotion wouldn't be the worst idea. But I don't think it would mean the same to that team and league. All the clubs in the Eastern League are in the mid-Atlantic and northeast. There are only 3 teams south / west of Pennsylvania: Ohio, Maryland, and Virginia. Would Tebow have that same appeal in those areas?

He'd do great in my town. Lynchburg. But our local team is only Class A-Advanced, so it is highly doubtful Tebow would ever come here.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby mightyleemoon » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:45 am

NYBF wrote:The next step would be AA. That team is not owned by the club. But they have a brand new owner who has made a pledge to keep that franchise in Binghamton. After some animosity between the big club and the old owners, a token promotion wouldn't be the worst idea. But I don't think it would mean the same to that team and league. All the clubs in the Eastern League are in the mid-Atlantic and northeast. There are only 3 teams south / west of Pennsylvania: Ohio, Maryland, and Virginia. Would Tebow have that same appeal in those areas?

He'll have huge appeal no matter where he goes.

But, seems like they'd have to talk pretty creatively for justifying the promotion of a guy hovering around the Mendoza...without just sounding like a variation of "We need the attendance cash."
mightyleemoon

Postby Crocaneers » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:06 am

mightyleemoon wrote:
NYBF wrote:The next step would be AA. That team is not owned by the club. But they have a brand new owner who has made a pledge to keep that franchise in Binghamton. After some animosity between the big club and the old owners, a token promotion wouldn't be the worst idea. But I don't think it would mean the same to that team and league. All the clubs in the Eastern League are in the mid-Atlantic and northeast. There are only 3 teams south / west of Pennsylvania: Ohio, Maryland, and Virginia. Would Tebow have that same appeal in those areas?

But, seems like they'd have to talk pretty creatively for justifying the promotion of a guy hovering around the Mendoza...without just sounding like a variation of "We need the attendance cash."

I don't think the flock is stupid ... 75% of the folks at the game Monday night came out since they knew it was Tim's birthday
Tonight its $1 night .. and they will come out again

If anyone has an issue with companies revenue stream or margins, they may want to adjust their thoughts.
Crocaneers

Postby mightyleemoon » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:31 am

Crocaneers wrote:
mightyleemoon wrote:

I don't think the flock is stupid ... 75% of the folks at the game Monday night came out since they knew it was Tim's birthday
Tonight its $1 night .. and they will come out again

If anyone has an issue with companies revenue stream or margins, they may want to adjust their thoughts.

I dunno. I could see some people having problems with it if it interferes with being able to develop other players. Maybe wins don't mean much in that league...but as you approach AAA I would think you would want those spots reserved for actual MLB prospects.

Then again, maybe those same people would be fine with the generated cash flow to sign said prospects.
mightyleemoon

Postby Deuce » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:43 pm

The real issue I have is...who's going to a minor league game just to see Tebow?
Deuce

Postby NYBF » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:54 pm

Deuce wrote:The real issue I have is...who's going to a minor league game just to see Tebow?

About 2600 people per game on the road

NYBF

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:15 pm

thats a cool stat....what was it like when Michael Jordan tried baseball?
Zarniwoop

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:17 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:thats a cool stat....what was it like when Michael Jordan tried baseball?

Probably WAY more. Basing that on Mike being one of the most famous athletes of all time.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Crocaneers » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:42 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:thats a cool stat....what was it like when Michael Jordan tried baseball?

I mashed a google or two .. .this seemed the most reputable. It appears Jordan may have pulled a few more, yet this was written in May, so the adjustments would need to be made.

Through the first 25 games of his minor league baseball career, Tebow is drawing lighter crowds than Jordan did in his one season with the Birmingham Barons. About 2,000 fewer fans have come out to watch Tebow transition from a football to a baseball player than Jordan drew in 1994.

The 1994 season he spent in Double-A Birmingham set Southern League attendance records as waves of fans lined up for a chance to see the greatest basketball player in history try to make it on the baseball field. While Jordan hit .202 with three HR and 51 RBI in his lone season, the Double-A Barons drew an average 6,884 fans per game that summer.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseb ... -1.3170165
Crocaneers

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:43 pm

Zarniwoop

Postby NYBF » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:09 pm

Park size will skew raw attendance numbers, too. Generally speaking, the higher up the MiLB food chain you go, the bigger the parks will be. The park Tebow started in this year is 1800 seats smaller than where Birmingham played their games. And the field in Columbia is brand new.
NYBF

Postby terrytate » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:30 pm

Crocaneers wrote:

I mashed a google or two .. .this seemed the most reputable. It appears Jordan may have pulled a few more, yet this was written in May, so the adjustments would need to be made.

Through the first 25 games of his minor league baseball career, Tebow is drawing lighter crowds than Jordan did in his one season with the Birmingham Barons. About 2,000 fewer fans have come out to watch Tebow transition from a football to a baseball player than Jordan drew in 1994.

The 1994 season he spent in Double-A Birmingham set Southern League attendance records as waves of fans lined up for a chance to see the greatest basketball player in history try to make it on the baseball field. While Jordan hit .202 with three HR and 51 RBI in his lone season, the Double-A Barons drew an average 6,884 fans per game that summer.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseb ... -1.3170165

I should hope so. Tebow is a lot of things but one thing he isn't is a star on Jordan's magnitude. Tebow is a good story, Jordan is the Babe Ruth of basketball. The man is world famous and will be decades from now even, after he dies.
terrytate

Postby Deuce » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:49 am

NYBF wrote:
Deuce wrote:The real issue I have is...who's going to a minor league game just to see Tebow?

I didn't mean to say that I don't believe it or that I didn't know people were going.

But I meant like...who has that much free time? I live in Tallahassee, yeah, but I only know a few people who would spend the time/money on that and they're UF alums.
Deuce

Postby NYBF » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:19 am

Deuce wrote:
NYBF wrote:

I didn't mean to say that I don't believe it or that I didn't know people were going.

But I meant like...who has that much free time? I live in Tallahassee, yeah, but I only know a few people who would spend the time/money on that and they're UF alums.

Oh.. well, yeah. I don't get it. Money isn't much for minor leagues, but from what I'm hearing, the crowd goes crazy for anything. Catch a routine fly ball - crowd loses their mind.
NYBF

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:56 pm

Good job Timmy, keep proving people wrong!

Mets farmhand Tim Tebow is easily the most famous player in Double-A, and now he's an All-Star.

It was announced Friday that Tebow had made the All-Star Game for the Eastern League, which is one of three Double-A leagues, along with the Southern League and the Texas League. Tebow is currently playing for the Bimghamton Rumble Ponies (Mets affiliate).

Tebow's overall line isn't overwhelming. He's hitting .261/.335/.398 with the league average being .251/.325/.389. So he's slightly above average on the season. He has, however, been on fire of late. In his last 21 games, Tebow is hitting .323/.353/.462. In his last 10? .406/.424/.625 with nine RBI.

On the season, Tebow has 12 doubles, one triple, five homers, 30 RBI and 26 runs in 236 plate appearances.
DreadNaught

Postby NYBF » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:54 pm

The Tebow Effect:

Rumble Ponies Enjoy Best Attendance in 25 Years
BINGHAMTON, NY - Over the course of the 2018 season, the Binghamton Rumble Ponies welcomed an average of 3,553 fans per opening, the franchise's best rate since the inaugural season of 1992. Binghamton's banner year featured three games ranked in their all-time top 20 best attended, including a franchise-record 7,488 at their game against the Trenton Thunder on July 20. In total, 220,279 fans streamed through the NYSEG Stadium turnstiles through 62 openings. It marked just the eighth time in franchise history the club has welcomed in more than 220,000 fans. The Rumble Ponies concluded their season on Monday against the Sea Dogs. Binghamton opens the 2019 season on Thursday, April 4 in New Hampshire. Fans are encouraged to follow the Rumble Ponies during the offseason at BINGRP.com.

NYBF

Postby Crocaneers » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:52 am

Imagine what would have happened had he played the full season! The guy's really quality, and proving people wrong is something he enjoys.
Crocaneers

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:56 am

Crocaneers wrote:Imagine what would have happened had he played the full season! The guy's really quality, and proving people wrong is something he enjoys.

He has impressed me.
Zarniwoop

Postby NYBF » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:39 am

Crocaneers wrote:Imagine what would have happened had he played the full season! The guy's really quality, and proving people wrong is something he enjoys.

Had he played all year, and continued along how was going, I have zero doubt the Mets would have called him up for the September roster expansion.
NYBF

Previous

Return to Off Topic