General Discussion on any Off Topic subject
Cord-cutters

Postby Phantom Phenom » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:54 pm

NFL Network, RedZone come to Sling TV’s streaming service for cord cutters

Also stream local fox like bucs game etc
Phantom Phenom

Re: Cord-cutters

Postby Phantom Phenom » Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:54 pm

Cutting is growing far faster than cable companies want you to believe. ESPN, one of the main reasons people pay for cable TV, is feeling the pain of the cord cutting movement.

In July of 2016 ESPN had 88.781 million subscribers, down approximately 4 million from July of 2015 when they had 92.940 million subscribers. The loss of subscribers and, more importantly, the loss of revenue is finally taking a toll on ESPN.
Phantom Phenom

Postby PrimeMinister » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:02 am

Cable in its current form won't last another 10 years.
PrimeMinister

Postby HamBone » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:26 am

Haven't had cable for about a yearish...don't miss it at all.
HamBone

Postby PrimeMinister » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:28 am

HamBone wrote:Haven't had cable for about a yearish...don't miss it at all.

I didn't get cable after college (almost 10 years ago) until a year ago bc it was given for entirely free. In a year we may have watched it 10-12 total hours and that's pushing it. Cable is entirely unnecessary and not worth the price.
PrimeMinister

Postby Corsair » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:34 pm

I guess you masturbate to Trump clips online, then?
Corsair

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:57 pm

I dropped cable a few months ago when FioS became Frontier. I use my XBOX ONE as my media center and just have hooked up a HD tuner + antenna, so I could get local channels. I use apps via my Xbox for ESPN, NFN, HBO, Amazon Prime, Netflix, etc. It's working great for us so far.

What would things like Sling or Roku provide that I can't get via my current set-up? I'm new to cord cutting, so still learning what the options are.
DreadNaught

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:35 pm

Once the Sunday Ticket becomes obsolete, I see little need for television.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby A Man's Part » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:20 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:Once the Sunday Ticket becomes obsolete, I see little need for television.

It kind of is already.
A Man's Part

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:36 pm

A Man's Part wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Once the Sunday Ticket becomes obsolete, I see little need for television.

It kind of is already.

There are alternatives, but there isn't any better alternatives yet.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Jimmy McGill » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:31 am

NFL Network and NFL RedZone added today. Blue package gets NFL Network added for free.
http://blog.sling.com/announcements/nfl ... -sling-tv/
Jimmy McGill

Postby Doctor » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:52 pm

Here's my question. I have a Roku stick. I can log into FOX (or CBS) through my iPad and then toss it onto my TV screen via the Roku stick. I can usually watch my local team just fine this way. If I instead log into my Fox/CBS app with a cable login from someone in Tampa, would I then be watching Tampa games? Anyone know/care to try this?
Doctor

Postby Corsair » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:51 pm

Doctor wrote:Here's my question. I have a Roku stick. I can log into FOX (or CBS) through my iPad and then toss it onto my TV screen via the Roku stick. I can usually watch my local team just fine this way. If I instead log into my Fox/CBS app with a cable login from someone in Tampa, would I then be watching Tampa games? Anyone know/care to try this?

probably better to post that q here..

viewforum.php?f=11
Corsair

Postby acmillis » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:45 am

Doctor wrote:Here's my question. I have a Roku stick. I can log into FOX (or CBS) through my iPad and then toss it onto my TV screen via the Roku stick. I can usually watch my local team just fine this way. If I instead log into my Fox/CBS app with a cable login from someone in Tampa, would I then be watching Tampa games? Anyone know/care to try this?

Not to de-rail this thread into tech talk, but can you give details on the streaming ipad ---> throwing it to TV via ROku stick? I have both devices but never though to/how do this.
acmillis

Postby The Bad Guy » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:16 am

I just went with the Direct TV college route. Used my sibling's information as my info from 08 doesn't register. $100 for the season plus I paid an additional $50 for GamePass to watch preseason live and re-watch in season games. Cheaper than the $200 I was going to have to pay for Game Pass and I don't have to wait to see if AFT or Cactus VPN get their services working in time for the season.

Just hoping I can watch 4 games at once like Game Pass.
The Bad Guy

Postby PrimeMinister » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:03 pm

The Bad Guy wrote:I just went with the Direct TV college route. Used my sibling's information as my info from 08 doesn't register. $100 for the season plus I paid an additional $50 for GamePass to watch preseason live and re-watch in season games. Cheaper than the $200 I was going to have to pay for Game Pass and I don't have to wait to see if AFT or Cactus VPN get their services working in time for the season.

Just hoping I can watch 4 games at once like Game Pass.

No you can't watch 4 games at once with Sunday Ticket streaming. It's one of the differences between Gamepass International and Sunday Ticket.
PrimeMinister

Postby The Bad Guy » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:07 pm

Knowing that, I probably would have waited. The additional $50 or so to watch 4 at once is nice. However, I'll just watch the Bucs game on my laptop and throw RedZone on the main tv. I really only do it for friends that are over anyway - I like to actually watch the games vs. they're worried about their fantasy teams.
The Bad Guy

Postby Jimmy McGill » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:15 pm

Jimmy McGill

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:48 pm

Since you'd still require an HD Antenna w/ this I don't see the value? I'm new to cord cutting so perhaps I'm not following, but my set-up through my XB1 has a Mohu HD Antenna connected to an HD tuner that plugs into my XB1. The Antenna and Tuner combined cost me $80, which is just over half of what this AirTV is advertised.. What am I missing?
DreadNaught

Postby deltbucs » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:02 pm

So I'll be cutting the cord soon. I've been researching into the best way to get sports live and also be able to DVR. Looks like Youtube is just coming out with it's own streaming service...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/talk ... /98551276/
deltbucs

Postby McFan » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:49 pm

Corsair wrote:

I guess you masturbate to Trump clips online, then?

He shoots! He scores!

Now, who am I referring to, Ham or Corsair?
McFan

Postby Pewterslimsme » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:42 pm

deltbucs wrote:So I'll be cutting the cord soon. I've been researching into the best way to get sports live and also be able to DVR. Looks like Youtube is just coming out with it's own streaming service...

Let me know what you end up doing and how it goes. Sports and DVR are my big issues
Pewterslimsme

Postby Fiasco » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:01 pm

deltbucs wrote:So I'll be cutting the cord soon. I've been researching into the best way to get sports live and also be able to DVR. Looks like Youtube is just coming out with it's own streaming service...

Get Amazon Fire Stick, download Kodi. Download Exodus and Pro Sports within Kodi. You basically have everything you need to watch from those two apps, all in HD and all at no cost.
Fiasco

Postby deltbucs » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:53 pm

Fiasco wrote:

Get Amazon Fire Stick, download Kodi. Download Exodus and Pro Sports within Kodi. You basically have everything you need to watch from those two apps, all in HD and all at no cost.

I haven't had much luck with Pro Sports or Sports Devil. Most of them are pretty shitty streams. And I really want to be able to watch sports not live. Right now I'm mainly watching FSU hoops and I don't know of any add-on where I can watch a day or 2 after.

That said, I've read that paid add-ons are the way to go to if you want any kind of readability with live sports.
deltbucs

Postby Crocaneers » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:45 am

This may due to the area you are in ... I can't cut the cord due to WiFi impact.

What are you doing ?

I work from my home often so the phone tether would not work
Crocaneers

Postby Fiasco » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:46 am

deltbucs wrote:
Fiasco wrote:Get Amazon Fire Stick, download Kodi. Download Exodus and Pro Sports within Kodi. You basically have everything you need to watch from those two apps, all in HD and all at no cost.

I haven't had much luck with Pro Sports or Sports Devil. Most of them are pretty shitty streams. And I really want to be able to watch sports not live. Right now I'm mainly watching FSU hoops and I don't know of any add-on where I can watch a day or 2 after.

That said, I've read that paid add-ons are the way to go to if you want any kind of readability with live sports.

SportsDevil sucks. With the newest version of Kodi, Pro Sports has been amazing. I had the same issue before too before I updated it. Granted the stream is behind by 20-30 seconds, but I get to watch all the Heat games in HD for free.
Fiasco

Postby Fiasco » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:48 am

deltbucs wrote:
Fiasco wrote:Get Amazon Fire Stick, download Kodi. Download Exodus and Pro Sports within Kodi. You basically have everything you need to watch from those two apps, all in HD and all at no cost.

As far as watching previous games, I'm not sure about that. I'm sure there's an app for that as well.
Fiasco

Postby Super K » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:29 pm

Delt, download the "Watch ESPN" app on your firestick...

I've seen damn near all of the Noles hoops games on there...

It's free as well..
Super K

Postby Pewterslimsme » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:27 pm

What about watching "fringe" sports live such as college softball...is there an option where I could cut cord and still get Bucs, WVU, college softball and DVR for movies/shows? Also in market for new TV so if I go that route is 4K worth it or no?
Pewterslimsme

Postby Fiasco » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:09 pm

Pewterslimsme wrote:What about watching "fringe" sports live such as college softball...is there an option where I could cut cord and still get Bucs, WVU, college softball and DVR for movies/shows? Also in market for new TV so if I go that route is 4K worth it or no?

Idk about college softball, but college football, basketball, NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB, you can watch all of those on Kodi. Same thing with shows and movies. I just started now watching Game of Thrones on there. Plus all the seasons from shoes that take forever to go on Netflix get constantly added on there as well.
Fiasco

Next

Return to Off Topic