Cord-cutters

General Discussion on any Off Topic subject
Re: Cord-cutters

Postby Super K » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:56 pm

For the Bucs and/or NFL...download the directTV Sunday ticket app...find a buddy with directTV and the ticket..use his email and password to sign on the app and BAM. ..you've got Sunday ticket...

I pulled this stunt with my Uncle this year, cost me a case of beer and I paid for half of the ticket...

Small price to pay to able to live in Pittsburgh and watch my Bucs every Sunday..

For Thursday night games, download the twitter app and watch right on your TV instead of your phone...
Super K

Postby PrimeMinister » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:26 pm

Super K wrote:For the Bucs and/or NFL...download the directTV Sunday ticket app...find a buddy with directTV and the ticket..use his email and password to sign on the app and BAM. ..you've got Sunday ticket...

I pulled this stunt with my Uncle this year, cost me a case of beer and I paid for half of the ticket...

Small price to pay to able to live in Pittsburgh and watch my Bucs every Sunday..

For Thursday night games, download the twitter app and watch right on your TV instead of your phone...

Sunday ticket is the best option for Bucs games. I'll try it through Kodi instead of phone/laptop/tablet next year.
PrimeMinister

Postby PrimeMinister » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:27 pm

Fiasco wrote:
Pewterslimsme wrote:What about watching "fringe" sports live such as college softball...is there an option where I could cut cord and still get Bucs, WVU, college softball and DVR for movies/shows? Also in market for new TV so if I go that route is 4K worth it or no?

Idk about college softball, but college football, basketball, NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB, you can watch all of those on Kodi. Same thing with shows and movies. I just started now watching Game of Thrones on there. Plus all the seasons from shoes that take forever to go on Netflix get constantly added on there as well.

Kodi is the best option around for TV/Movies, but I haven't found an addon I like for sports. What addon are you using?
PrimeMinister

Postby Fiasco » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:39 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
Fiasco wrote:Idk about college softball, but college football, basketball, NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB, you can watch all of those on Kodi. Same thing with shows and movies. I just started now watching Game of Thrones on there. Plus all the seasons from shoes that take forever to go on Netflix get constantly added on there as well.

Kodi is the best option around for TV/Movies, but I haven't found an addon I like for sports. What addon are you using?

Pro Sports. If you have the updated version of kodi, It's been amazing. I watch all the Heat games through it.
Fiasco

Postby Super K » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:41 pm

Fiasco wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:

Pro Sports. If you have the updated version of kodi, It's been amazing. I watch all the Heat games through it.

Hmmm...I'll have to check it out...I just installed Kodi 17 because the version I had was f'n up (exodus kept disappearing, videos wouldn't load, app wouldn't open etc)..
Super K

Postby Fiasco » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:45 pm

Super K wrote:
Fiasco wrote:Pro Sports. If you have the updated version of kodi, It's been amazing. I watch all the Heat games through it.

Hmmm...I'll have to check it out...I just installed Kodi 17 because the version I had was f'n up (exodus kept disappearing, videos wouldn't load, app wouldn't open etc)..

Yeah that was happening with my older version as well. Version 17 has been 10x better.
Fiasco

Postby Super K » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:55 pm

Fiasco wrote:
Super K wrote:

Yeah that was happening with my older version as well. Version 17 has been 10x better.

Nice!
Super K

Postby Doctor » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:28 am

A Comcast rep was telling me that DTV's Sunday Ticket monopoly is being blown up and the league is going to go with a free streaming option instead (making money off platforms). Not sure how true that is but DTV did suspiciously throw 2017 Sunday Ticket Free at me for the first time ever.
Doctor

Postby NYBF » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:28 am

Doctor wrote:A Comcast rep was telling me that DTV's Sunday Ticket monopoly is being blown up and the league is going to go with a free streaming option instead (making money off platforms). Not sure how true that is but DTV did suspiciously throw 2017 Sunday Ticket Free at me for the first time ever.

NFL and DirecTV have a contract through the 2022-2023 season. Your comcast rep is lying. The fact that he said free streaming should have been a giveaway.
NYBF

Postby PrimeMinister » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:38 pm

NYBF wrote:
Doctor wrote:A Comcast rep was telling me that DTV's Sunday Ticket monopoly is being blown up and the league is going to go with a free streaming option instead (making money off platforms). Not sure how true that is but DTV did suspiciously throw 2017 Sunday Ticket Free at me for the first time ever.

NFL and DirecTV have a contract through the 2022-2023 season. Your comcast rep is lying. The fact that he said free streaming should have been a giveaway.

If you ain't lying you ain't trying.

- Frank with Comcast.
PrimeMinister

Postby PrimeMinister » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:39 pm

Fiasco wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:

I updated to Kodi 17 and I'll try Pro Sports today.
PrimeMinister

Postby Doctor » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:39 pm

NYBF wrote:

I figured as much, but DTV is in court over it.
Doctor

Postby Phantom Phenom » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:32 pm

I have Hulu live beta. Over 40 channels with bunch of movies and tv shows library with no commercial options
Phantom Phenom

Postby Crocaneers » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:58 pm

Buddy of mine just called and I am intrigued

http://www.omgfreetv.net/

All TV shows, and new release movies. He just watched Hacksaw Ridge, and Logan. Amazed
Crocaneers

Postby Nano » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:24 pm

$450/350? That's really overpriced for a Kodi box with pirate apps. If you're that desperate to watch new movies for free, go to putlocker or something.
Nano

Postby PrimeMinister » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:24 pm

Crocaneers wrote:Buddy of mine just called and I am intrigued

All TV shows, and new release movies. He just watched Hacksaw Ridge, and Logan. Amazed

You can watch the same things on any device with Kodi. Amazon fire stick, Apple TV, mi box, etc. All of those are less expensive than that.
PrimeMinister

Postby Fiasco » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:51 am

Crocaneers wrote:Buddy of mine just called and I am intrigued

Lol don't get ripped off. I watch plenty of new movies on kodi and it's only $40.
Fiasco

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:03 pm

Well, just cut the cord to save money.

Just starting with Netflix and Amazon.

We'll see where I go from there
Zarniwoop

Postby Deuce » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:02 am

I finally got the perfect setup. I got Sling TV Blue- $25 a month. Only get about 20-25 channels I'd say but they're the channels I actually watch. NBC and FOX are on demand, Food Network, TBS, NFL Network, Travel, etc. On demand shows for every network. I also got an antenna for local channels. This allows me to watch the major networks but most importantly, football.

The only "cheating" is I used my parents log-in to get WatchESPN. Only use it for MNF. Also have a friend's log-in for Netflix but it rarely gets used. Could get it myself for $8 if need be.

Pro tip for Sling TV subcribers- like I said, on demand shows for every network. Go to NFL Network's on demand section and you can watch the condensed games any time.
Deuce

Postby BucJordan » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:45 am

Deuce wrote:I finally got the perfect setup. I got Sling TV Blue- $25 a month. Only get about 20-25 channels I'd say but they're the channels I actually watch. NBC and FOX are on demand, Food Network, TBS, NFL Network, Travel, etc. On demand shows for every network. I also got an antenna for local channels. This allows me to watch the major networks but most importantly, football.

The only "cheating" is I used my parents log-in to get WatchESPN. Only use it for MNF. Also have a friend's log-in for Netflix but it rarely gets used. Could get it myself for $8 if need be.

Pro tip for Sling TV subcribers- like I said, on demand shows for every network. Go to NFL Network's on demand section and you can watch the condensed games any time.

I use Playstation Vue right now and it gives me everything I'm looking for - NFLN, ESPN, Regional Sports and Cloud DVR. It's been $35/mo up until now which has been a steal, but prices are going up to $45 next month, so I'm still deciding whether or not to switch to Sling or some other service. It doesn't look like I can get the combo of NFLN/ESPN/DVR for any cheaper.

5-10 years ago I'd probably be using Kodi, but I find myself shying away from the illegal content now. As a poor college kid I was able to justify it to myself, but now that I'm gainfully employed I feel too guilty, considering how bad it is for the industry.
BucJordan

Postby PrimeMinister » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:12 am

BucJordan wrote:
Deuce wrote:I finally got the perfect setup. I got Sling TV Blue- $25 a month. Only get about 20-25 channels I'd say but they're the channels I actually watch. NBC and FOX are on demand, Food Network, TBS, NFL Network, Travel, etc. On demand shows for every network. I also got an antenna for local channels. This allows me to watch the major networks but most importantly, football.

I use Playstation Vue right now and it gives me everything I'm looking for - NFLN, ESPN, Regional Sports and Cloud DVR. It's been $35/mo up until now which has been a steal, but prices are going up to $45 next month, so I'm still deciding whether or not to switch to Sling or some other service. It doesn't look like I can get the combo of NFLN/ESPN/DVR for any cheaper.

5-10 years ago I'd probably be using Kodi, but I find myself shying away from the illegal content now. As a poor college kid I was able to justify it to myself, but now that I'm gainfully employed I feel too guilty, considering how bad it is for the industry.

That’s fascinating. I’ve never feel a shred of guilt for not paying cable prices lol. Don’t foresee feeling guilty in the future either. Everyone is just different.
PrimeMinister

Postby BucJordan » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:25 am

PrimeMinister wrote:
BucJordan wrote:

That’s fascinating. I’ve never feel a shred of guilt for not paying cable prices lol. Don’t foresee feeling guilty in the future either. Everyone is just different.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no cable advocate - that's why I've taken the cheaper alternative options available to me to stream. It was actually easier to justify when the only option was cable. I used to say "Well it's BS they make me buy a $100/mo bundle for 100 channels when I only watch maybe 10 of them!". Well, the industry is evolving and I can't justify it that way anymore.

The guilt comes from feeling entitled to view content for free, when it costs the providers to make it. Whether it's live TV streams, music, or movies. If everyone adopts that mindset, there's no revenue stream and the content goes away, aside from local broadcasts that can be accessed for free anyway and survive on advertisement revenue. People are inherently selfish though, and most find it easy to stomach theft when

a) It's not a physical product.
b) "Everyone else is doing it."
c) There's a very low chance of getting caught, and even if caught, getting more than a strongly worded letter to stop.

Just my perspective.
BucJordan

Postby PrimeMinister » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:35 am

BucJordan wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I'm no cable advocate - that's why I've taken the cheaper alternative options available to me to stream. It was actually easier to justify when the only option was cable. I used to say "Well it's BS they make me buy a $100/mo bundle for 100 channels when I only watch maybe 10 of them!". Well, the industry is evolving and I can't justify it that way anymore.

The guilt comes from feeling entitled to view content for free, when it costs the providers to make it. Whether it's live TV streams, music, or movies. If everyone adopts that mindset, there's no revenue stream and the content goes away, aside from local broadcasts that can be accessed for free anyway and survive on advertisement revenue. People are inherently selfish though, and most find it easy to stomach theft when

a) It's not a physical product.
b) "Everyone else is doing it."
c) There's a very low chance of getting caught, and even if caught, getting more than a strongly worded letter to stop.

Just my perspective.

I believe I get where you’re coming from, but I don’t see it as theft. It’s pretty much impossible for me to feel bad for a corporation. I view corporations and businesses in general as always looking out for their bottom line with no concern for me or you. In this example I’m doing the same. There are some areas where they still get money from me. I pay $180 for NFL Gamepass Europe instead of $350 for NFL Sunday Ticket streaming and get the same service.

I just can’t feel bad for Disney or whoever losing my viewership numbers when the reason Kodi exploded in the first place was cable’s crappy business model. Now that they’re changing it somewhat doesn’t matter to me. They started this by offering bad business and the market told them to go **** themselves as we found ways around them.
PrimeMinister

Postby NYBF » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:37 am

PrimeMinister wrote:
BucJordan wrote:

How bad it is for which industry? TV? When you have MULTIPLE TV shows dedicated to "real" housewives, dedicated to finding a tiny house in Alaska, dedicated to shows were you call in and vote for something, and I have no choice but to pay for this **** as part of my cable package, I would not feel bad in saying **** it all and watching what I want for free/reduced prices.
NYBF

Postby PrimeMinister » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:39 am

NYBF wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:

How bad it is for which industry? TV? When you have MULTIPLE TV shows dedicated to "real" housewives, dedicated to finding a tiny house in Alaska, dedicated to shows were you call in and vote for something, and I have no choice but to pay for this **** as part of my cable package, I would not feel bad in saying **** it all and watching what I want for free/reduced prices.

Agreed.
PrimeMinister

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:41 am

i'm still waiting for the much promised day when i can pick and choose what channels i can pay for....cable providers have been promising it for a decade plus now

COMING THIS FALL
Zarniwoop

Postby PrimeMinister » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:42 am

Zarniwoop wrote:i'm still waiting for the much promised day when i can pick and choose what channels i can pay for....cable providers have been promising it for a decade plus now

COMING THIS FALL

If enough cord cutters exist they’ll make it happen. Otherwise wait until the fall.
PrimeMinister

Postby BucJordan » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:13 am

NYBF wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:

Like I said, I'm in total agreement that the entire cable business model sucks and is out of date. But when something costs more than you're willing to pay, the usual reaction is not to buy it. Instead, because technology has advanced to the point where it's easy to do digitally and you're unlikely to get caught, people turn to stealing it instead. People are annoyed they are indirectly paying for shitty content they don't want, so they feel justified in stealing the latest season of The Walking Dead. Suck it, corporations. I get it. I used to do it, though I won't argue it was ever the right thing to do.

It's impossible to justify anymore though. There are too many legal alternatives to cable that cost MUCH less. It's dying fast. You can watch exactly what you want on Hulu, original content and tons of movies/shows on Netflix/Amazon (all are $15 or less per month), and now web-based streaming of live TV via Slingbox/Vue/Youtube TV and others which run for $30-$50/mo.

Cord-cutting has been GREAT for the industry, as people take advantage of these viable alternatives for their content and put cable to bed.

Piracy - not so much. It's bad for the music industry, the film industry, and TV industry, and even for companies like Netflix/Amazon/Hulu since most people aren't drawing a line with what they're willing to steal. Hell, look at HBO. It's exactly what everyone wants now, a channel you can buy by itself, without bundling in crap from sister channels for more money. But people have their favorite Torrent site, or Kodi, or whatever piracy medium they use and the latest Game of Thrones episode is on there for free. Are most people drawing the line there, and buying that legitimately? Maybe some. But for most they're taking what's right at their fingertips, for free.

If a time comes when enough people decide that they are entitled to steal whatever content they want, there's only a few options that will remain for content providers, and none of them are good.
BucJordan

Postby PrimeMinister » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:19 am

We disagree on kodi. It isn’t stealing or breaking the law to watch TV or movies via Kodi.

Your HBO Point is interesting. I believe GoT became the most watched show on TV this year. The Game of Thrones fans I know pay for it. They keep HBO for the months they need it to watch the shows they want and cancel afterwards. I paid HBO for about 3 months this year because of GoT, Hard Knocks and 2-3 other shows I enjoy. If the industry were largely like HBO you’d see less cord cutting.
PrimeMinister

Postby BucJordan » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:27 am

PrimeMinister wrote:
BucJordan wrote:I believe I get where you’re coming from, but I don’t see it as theft. It’s pretty much impossible for me to feel bad for a corporation. I view corporations and businesses in general as always looking out for their bottom line with no concern for me or you. In this example I’m doing the same. There are some areas where they still get money from me. I pay $180 for NFL Gamepass Europe instead of $350 for NFL Sunday Ticket streaming and get the same service.

I just can’t feel bad for Disney or whoever losing my viewership numbers when the reason Kodi exploded in the first place was cable’s crappy business model. Now that they’re changing it somewhat doesn’t matter to me. They started this by offering bad business and the market told them to go **** themselves as we found ways around them.

That's a mighty self-serving perspective you have there. Corporations look out for their bottom line you say? I can't believe it! How dare they try to maximize profits for themselves and their investors! :roll: As long as they abide by the law to do it, that should be their goal. We as consumers decide on what is worth our money and what isn't. But now the rules have changed because there's a third option - theft - and it comes without the usual risks because it's digital.

I have no love for Apple and their overpriced products, but I don't walk into their regional store and pocket an iPhone either. And I wouldn't, even if someone devised a way for me to teleport that phone into my pocket not set off the alarms at the exit, and unlock the phone so it'll work with. I'm getting the sense from this thread that many would. Different strokes.
BucJordan

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic