Bourbon Thread

General Discussion on any Off Topic subject
Re: Bourbon Thread

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:03 pm

i'm not a bourbon guy, i prefer scotch

are any bourbons aged in barrels that previously held scotch? (scotch is often aged in bourbon barrels).

if so, anyone have one to recommend? The less sweet the better
Zarniwoop

Postby NYBF » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:07 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:i'm not a bourbon guy, i prefer scotch

are any bourbons aged in barrels that previously held scotch? (scotch is often aged in bourbon barrels).

if so, anyone have one to recommend? The less sweet the better

No. Bourbon, by rule, has to be aged in virgin barrels. That's why you see so many other things aged in bourbon barrels; there's a **** ton of them around and the bourbon folks can't re-use them.
NYBF

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:42 pm

Interesting

Wonder if Rye is the same.
Zarniwoop

Postby NYBF » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:58 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:Interesting

Wonder if Rye is the same.

US rye has the same rules. Canadian rye does not have to use new barrels.
NYBF

Postby Kress » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:30 pm

The used bourbon barrels they cut in half and sell at Home Depot as planters smell fantastic.
Kress

Postby Hit55 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:50 pm

Anyone ever try using a mini barrel to age their own bourbon or “cheap stuff”? What were the results?
Hit55

Postby Kress » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:40 pm

I'm not sure about that. Mini barrels work fine for beer (especially with blueberries), but for what you are talking about the quality and source of the wood matters.

I've sat down for a wine tasting, and it was the exact same grapes. Same vineyard, same yield. One juice. One bit went in French oak, one in American oak, and one into a blend where part of the wood had been used before in prior years. All so amazingly different. Same juice! One was smooth, one had an earthy but dirty taste that was actually quite nice, one was smoke. You get the point. The wood matters, so as a result i would be wary of the mini barrels for that reason. I'm not saying that you can't find a good one, but the odds are what they are.

Do your research if you plan to go that route. Probably some cheap junk out there.
Kress

Postby NYBF » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:19 pm

Hit55 wrote:Anyone ever try using a mini barrel to age their own bourbon or “cheap stuff”? What were the results?

I've got a small barrel I do cocktails in. Just emptied it with something I threw together myself. I've done old fashioned in it, too. Works well enough.

I've got a project I'm thinking about doing, but I'm going to need a real good barrel for it.
NYBF

Postby The Outsider » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:29 am

NYBF wrote:
Hit55 wrote:Anyone ever try using a mini barrel to age their own bourbon or “cheap stuff”? What were the results?

I've got a small barrel I do cocktails in. Just emptied it with something I threw together myself. I've done old fashioned in it, too. Works well enough.

I've got a project I'm thinking about doing, but I'm going to need a real good barrel for it.

I've got a 5 gallon white oak barrel that is fantastic for aging bourbon.

As for what I've been drinking lately, I'm back on the 1792. Still one of my favorites in terms of pure drinkability. 59.99 for a 1.75L.
The Outsider

Postby DreadNaught » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:07 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:Great thread. Not sure why I've never clicked on it but will contribute more. My buddy turned me on to Bourbon a couple years ago when I had just got out of the Navy and all I was drinking was Tequila or Spiced Rum (I love Sailor Jerry) with a few cubes of ice. It certainly change my life when it comes to liquor and these days it's the only liquor I drink.

Woodford Reserve is my staple. Can't beat it for the price imo and I like the oaky taste.

I look forward to trying some of the others mentioned here.

Try Four Roses. You'd think there was oak floating in it.

I'll pick that up next and try it.

Just picked up some Angel's Envy last night for the first time and it was smooooo-oooooth.
DreadNaught

Previous

Return to Off Topic