Bourbon Thread

General Discussion on any Off Topic subject
Re: Bourbon Thread

Postby Kress » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:49 am

I decided to just put this here. As you will note from the time stamp, it is nearly 3 a.m. on a Saturday. I guess that makes it Sunday? Anyway, I am toasted.

I have just returned from a party, and I cannot tell you who threw it or I would have to kill you. And that would just get messy. All I can say is that I had to turn over my cell phone at the door. You figure it out from there.

On topic, I am not a Scotch drinker, but they served some of this **** (random online photo given my lack of cell phone):

Holy God.

I will repeat.

Holy God.
Kress

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:15 am

So...who threw the party?
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:23 pm

Bullett might be my new favorite.

Favoring it over my beloved Woodford right now.

Smooth. Less burn and a bit sweeter, but not as caramel-ly as Makers mark.

Noice.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Hit55 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:44 am

MB, have you ever tried any of the Woodford Master's Collection?

Side note, I've been on the hunt for a bottle of Blanton's. I feel for a bottle that hovers around the $50-$60 price range, it's odd that no stores in my area have any.

On my immediate drink list: I have a bottle of Four Roses (single-barrel, private stock) coming my way soon. I sampled the small batch and was pretty impressed with it. So I decided to splurge a little on a single barrel bottle to celebrate my girlfriend's promotion as well as my raise.
Hit55

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:52 pm

Hit55 wrote:MB, have you ever tried any of the Woodford Master's Collection?

Side note, I've been on the hunt for a bottle of Blanton's. I feel for a bottle that hovers around the $50-$60 price range, it's odd that no stores in my area have any.

On my immediate drink list: I have a bottle of Four Roses (single-barrel, private stock) coming my way soon. I sampled the small batch and was pretty impressed with it. So I decided to splurge a little on a single barrel bottle to celebrate my girlfriend's promotion as well as my raise.

You have a bigger bourbon budget than I do I think.

Polished off the last of my Woodford tonight and have a half bottle of bullett left.

My options are limited to a top price of about $35. That tends to get me the better known labels such as Woodford, Makers, and Bullett or Knob Creek.

I also like my old buddy, Jim Beam in the house from time to time. My brother likes to keep a bottle of Evan Williams around the house as well.

It ain't Pappy, but it's not like I am drinking Crown Royal or similar brands of paint thinner.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby NYBF » Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:54 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:My options are limited to a top price of about $35. That tends to get me the better known labels such as Woodford, Makers, and Bullett or Knob Creek.

Next time you're shopping, check out Eagle Rare. Should be able to find it at that price point.
NYBF

Postby Konatown » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:20 pm

Was going back and forth between Makers and Bulleit, and was given the recommendation to try Buffalo Trace. Been my bourbon of choice the past few months, anyone else ever try it?
Konatown

Postby The Outsider » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:20 pm

NYBF wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:My options are limited to a top price of about $35. That tends to get me the better known labels such as Woodford, Makers, and Bullett or Knob Creek.

Next time you're shopping, check out Eagle Rare. Should be able to find it at that price point.

This is pretty good stuff.
The Outsider

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:05 pm

So I was gifted a couple of bottles recently of 1792 an Woodford double oak and polished those off last week.

The 1792 single barrel was simply exquisite and a pleasure. The Woodford was a little more stout but I found an ice cube balanced it out to my taste and was also enjoyable.

Which brings me to last Friday. I was fresh out of bourbon and that simply wouldn't do for the holiday weekend and since I had just done my holiday shopping, I decided to go for value.

I bought Wild Turkey. Not 101, but the original. Never had it before and it was priced right so I grabbed it up.

Maybe I'm spoiled from the really good bourbon I had prior to, but I can't help but be disappointed with the WT.

Not a lot of color, very lacking in aroma, and just not tasty when had neat. I think my brothers Evan Williams is a better bourbon.

Maybe it needs another year in the barrel. Maybe my palliate is more suited to the richer bourbons.

Won't buy again.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Deja Entendu » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:12 am

I think I mentioned it in the old thread, but this is worth grabbing if you haven't had it:

* Disclaimer: I'm not a bourbon (or any whiskey) drinker. Tequila is my flavor; however, this is the best I've had, and my buddy (avid bourbon drinker) whom I bought it for agreed.
Deja Entendu

Postby NYBF » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:36 am

If any of you guys are Booker's drinkers, you've got 4 days left to buy up as much as you can. Effective 1/1, they are raising the MSRP to $100 and cutting production from 6 releases per year to 4.
NYBF

Postby NYBF » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:35 am

Looks like they've realized $100 is way too much.
https://whiskycast.com/beam-suntory-cha ... rice-hike/
NYBF

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:53 am

Been drinking the cheap **** lately....Okay, not Kentucky Gentleman or Old Crow cheap. But cheap enough.

Polishing this bottle off tonight. Runs about $15 up here and I think is pretty comperable to Evan Williams but with a little more aroma to it. Had it a couple of years ago at an open bar and wanted to try again. Perfectly fine bourbon for the price.

Very mild and unassuming low rye bourbon that doesn't challenge you. You can drink the **** out of it...which I have. $11 for a fifth? Haven't found one better for that price. If you are a Buffalo Trace fan, you can drink this when you don't have company over.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:34 pm

The Outsider wrote:
2.0 wrote:I know the other board had it, but I can't find it here.

My sister got me a bottle of Eagle Rare recently, probably going to crack that tonight and enjoy the cancelled class tomorrow. Anyone ever have it? Good, bad, or something else?

Eagle Rare is a personal favorite of mine. It is very smooth and for the price has a ton of flavor. You'll enjoy it. I recommend drinking it on the rocks with a water chaser.

I'm personally drinking a 12 year old Elijah Craig neat. ****ing delicioso.

Oh, man. That Eagle Rare is smoooooooooooth.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:07 pm

Ugh! What the **** is this?

Jim Beam honey.

I tend to avoid the flavored whiskey and now I remember why. This was in a 99 cent airport bottle and now I want my money back.

Tastes like a shitty cough syrup. Who drinks this ****?
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:19 pm

Thank God I have some Four Roses left to wash that abortion out of my mouth.

Oddly, I couldn't get Four Roses in WV. No clue as to why. Not a stand out drink, but it smells so good.

It smells like wood. Fresh cut wood. Nice and smooth, mellow burn will buy again.

Birthday is coming up. The big 4-0. Gotta get a good one. Maybe time to give Hayden a try.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby RedLeader » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:21 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:Thank God I have some Four Roses left to wash that abortion out of my mouth.

Oddly, I couldn't get Four Roses in WV. No clue as to why. Not a stand out drink, but it smells so good.

It smells like wood. Fresh cut wood. Nice and smooth, mellow burn will buy again.

Birthday is coming up. The big 4-0. Gotta get a good one. Maybe time to give Hayden a try.

Heh. I got some Four Roses back at the office. Good stuff.
RedLeader

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:24 pm

RedLeader wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Thank God I have some Four Roses left to wash that abortion out of my mouth.

Just poured the last of it. My first bottle of the stuff.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby RedLeader » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:41 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
RedLeader wrote:

Just poured the last of it. My first bottle of the stuff.

Ya, not bad at all for the price.
RedLeader

Postby NYBF » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:44 pm

If you like the Four Roses, what about the Single Barrel version for your birthday?
NYBF

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:11 pm

NYBF wrote:

If you like the Four Roses, what about the Single Barrel version for your birthday?

It's available.
Mountaineer Buc

Previous

Return to Off Topic