Star Wars Episode VIII :The Last Jedi

General Discussion on any Off Topic subject
Re: Star Wars Episode VIII :The Last Jedi

Postby Corsair » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:55 pm

Haters gonna hate.
Corsair

Postby Phantom Phenom » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:19 pm

STAR WARS 8 villain Snoke will be revealed in his throne room in The Last Jedi.

Episode 8 will finally give fans their first proper look at the First Order leader.

The mysterious creature behind the hologram is expected to be revealed in all his splendour in the magnificent throne room on board his Mega Star Destroyer.

Official images were leaked recently and immediately taken down, but a new toy on Amazon Spain has shown Snoke in his ornate golden robes next to a red-robed Praetorian guard.

This Star Wars image also proves once and for all that Snoke can not possibly be human. The image also seems to reveal a huge clue about a major battle in his throne room.

The Hasbro toy is listed on Amazon Spain as a "Star Wars 8 set flagship."

The entire impressive construction shows a cross-section of the Mega Star Destroyer with Snoke's throne room at the top and then some kind of command deck, a lift and other rooms.

All Star Wars toys and merchandise generally tie closely to the movies so the fact that three major characters are shown fighting First Order troops it a massive teaser that this will happen in The Last Jedi.
Phantom Phenom

Postby Phantom Phenom » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:24 pm

"Kylo Ren’s lightsaber will introduce new sound effects in the movie.”

Kylo's weapon is known to be unstable and many reports believe he is seeking a missing kyber crystal shard from Darth Vader's blade. A new sound
Phantom Phenom

Postby Phantom Phenom » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:28 pm

"Action shots of the Praetorian Guards as they attack someone off screen. They will all have their own type of weapon, some of which will shoot a lightsaberesque beam.”

After Palpatine’s rather decorative Imperial Guard, fans will be thrilled to see a much more dynamic and dangerous role for Snoke’s red-clad elite personal guard.

These guards have been shown in the Entertainment Weekly feature and each one has unique armour and weapons. There are expected to be six of them, with two directly flanking Snoke when he is seated in state in his throne room.
Phantom Phenom

Postby Phantom Phenom » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:31 pm

Phantom Phenom

Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII 

Postby mightyleemoon » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:48 am

Swashy wrote:
Corsair wrote:Actually, Anakin brought balance to the force when the Jedi were hunted down and killed.

Before Anakin went dark, there were multitudes of Jedi and almost no Sith. By the mass hunting and death of Jedi, Anakin brought balance. Just not the way we thought.

I guess I never thought of it that way. I suppose in literal terms with Kenobi and Yoda being the two survivors of the Jedi lineage and Sideous and Vader being the two Sith it would make sense. I must confess that I didn't care much for The Force Awakens. It wasn't a bad movie but in A New Hope Luke couldn't even defend himself blindfolded against a probe shooting lasers at him. Yet Rey is this magnificent prodigy capable of bettering the Sith without even really knowing what the force is.

Because of this I can't take Kylo Ren seriously as an antagonist.

This is a fun read:

http://imgur.com/gallery/7EhqwbF
mightyleemoon

Postby uscbucsfan » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:59 am

mightyleemoon wrote:
Swashy wrote:
I guess I never thought of it that way. I suppose in literal terms with Kenobi and Yoda being the two survivors of the Jedi lineage and Sideous and Vader being the two Sith it would make sense. I must confess that I didn't care much for The Force Awakens. It wasn't a bad movie but in A New Hope Luke couldn't even defend himself blindfolded against a probe shooting lasers at him. Yet Rey is this magnificent prodigy capable of bettering the Sith without even really knowing what the force is.

This is a fun read:

It was, thanks.
uscbucsfan

Postby Phantom Phenom » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:13 pm

J.J. ABRAMS TO WRITE AND DIRECT STAR WARS: EPISODE IX
Phantom Phenom

Postby terrytate » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:12 am

Phantom Phenom wrote:J.J. ABRAMS TO WRITE AND DIRECT STAR WARS: EPISODE IX

And the world collectively groans.
terrytate

Postby terrytate » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:19 am

mightyleemoon wrote:
Swashy wrote:

This is a fun read:

I said the same thing about that bowcaster. That thing would have knocked over an AT-AT but Ren just rubbed some dirt on the wound and manned up.

However, it doesn't explain how Rey was able to instinctively throw a Jedi mind trick on Daniel Craig. Luke was supposed to be at least as much of a prodigy as Rey, yet he couldn't do that for three movies and untold amounts of offscreen training.

The simplest answer is the one I've been saying all along, Abrams is a hack who never respected previous works in an IP, he just throws crap at a very shiny wall and sees what sticks. He's Micheal Bay with better PR, or Zach Snyder.
terrytate

Postby MJW » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:22 am

Phantom Phenom wrote:J.J. ABRAMS TO WRITE AND DIRECT STAR WARS: EPISODE IX

Along with Donald Trump and Sergio Dipp, another blow against my theory that America is kind of a meritocracy.
MJW

Postby Teitan » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:27 am

Glad to have JJ back
Teitan

Postby MJW » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:46 am

Teitan wrote:Glad to have JJ back

No flamin' here...honest question: Why?

What about VII did he do that was at all inspired, or visionary, or compelling? Seriously, what?

He got handed the keys to the most iconic franchise in the history of media...an unlimited budget...the chance to work with pretty much anyone he wanted in Hollywood...and he delivered a perfectly workmanlike sci fi movie that leaned heavily on the affection it hadn't earned. I'm not even going to get into the remake stuff. Let's put that off to the side. There were some cool visuals. The actors (except for half-asleep Harrison and the late Ms. Fisher) went all-out. The FX were top notch, as they should be.

But honestly that movie felt like they just kind of filmed the storyboards. You maybe don't want the director to get in the way too much with a property like that. But where was the style? James Gunn, the Russos, Christopher Nolan, Rian Johnson (as I think we'll soon see)...I'd know if I was watching one of their movies. Anyone could have done with Abrams did with VII and nobody would know the difference.
MJW

Postby mightyleemoon » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:59 am

terrytate wrote:
mightyleemoon wrote:
This is a fun read:

I said the same thing about that bowcaster. That thing would have knocked over an AT-AT but Ren just rubbed some dirt on the wound and manned up.

However, it doesn't explain how Rey was able to instinctively throw a Jedi mind trick on Daniel Craig. Luke was supposed to be at least as much of a prodigy as Rey, yet he couldn't do that for three movies and untold amounts of offscreen training.

The simplest answer is the one I've been saying all along, Abrams is a hack who never respected previous works in an IP, he just throws crap at a very shiny wall and sees what sticks. He's Micheal Bay with better PR, or Zach Snyder.

I dunno. I just look at it as natural ability. I just assumed Rey has a higher natural ability with the mind trick thing than Luke. Or, said another way, perhaps you CAN't COACH THAT!
mightyleemoon

Postby mightyleemoon » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:03 am

MJW wrote:
Teitan wrote:Glad to have JJ back

I know it's impossible for you to see it. But, a whole **** ton of people just enjoyed the hell out of TFA. For a lot of us, the movie had all kinds of nostalgia, it sounded amazing, it looked amazing, and it did move a story along and brought us some great new characters.

Sure, it's hip and trendy to just hate the **** out of everything. But, some of us walked into that movie just hoping for a good time watching Star Wars stuff. And, for a lot of us, that's exactly what we got.

You should learn to be okay with that.
mightyleemoon

Postby Teitan » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:25 am

mightyleemoon wrote:
MJW wrote:

I know it's impossible for you to see it. But, a whole **** ton of people just enjoyed the hell out of TFA. For a lot of us, the movie had all kinds of nostalgia, it sounded amazing, it looked amazing, and it did move a story along and brought us some great new characters.

Sure, it's hip and trendy to just hate the **** out of everything. But, some of us walked into that movie just hoping for a good time watching Star Wars stuff. And, for a lot of us, that's exactly what we got.

You should learn to be okay with that.

Pretty much this. I can't help that you expected a SEQUEL to be the most original thing ever. It was flawless other than being similar to ANH. Which I get, play on nostalgia, introduce younger audience.. etc.

Now they are free to do anything.
Teitan

Postby Corsair » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:53 pm

Why do people argue with MJW over Star Wars?

We know MJW is a hater of this franchise and always has been. Doesn't bring anything to the conversation except hate on this subject.
Corsair

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:09 pm

Star Trek is better.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:16 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:Star Trek is better.

JJ Abrams benefits either way.

Star Trek is the nerdy boring version of Star Wars.
uscbucsfan

Postby MJW » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:26 am

mightyleemoon wrote:
MJW wrote:

Okay...so what about JJ Abrams direction do you credit any of that for? That's kind of my question. What did he do that movie that any semi-competent director couldn't have done just as well? Shoot, I enjoyed the heck out of "Hooper" but I'm not going to act like Hal Needham was a good director.
Last edited by MJW on Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
MJW

Postby MJW » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:27 am

uscbucsfan wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Star Trek is better.

JJ Abrams benefits either way.

Star Trek is the nerdy boring version of Star Wars.

In the same sense books are the nerdy boring version of cartoons, sure.
MJW

Postby mightyleemoon » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:55 am

MJW wrote:
mightyleemoon wrote:

Okay...so what about JJ Abrams direction do you credit any of that for? That's kind of my question. What did he do that movie that any semi-competent director couldn't have done just as well? Shoot, I enjoyed the heck out of "Hooper" but I'm not going to act like Hal Needham was a good director.

I don't know what Hooper is or who Hal Needham is. I credit JJ for directing a movie that I thoroughly enjoy. I wasn't on set so I couldn't tell you everything he was specifically responsible for other than he was the director of a movie that I thoroughly enjoyed. So, my guess is he at least played some part in that and therefor I don't see it as a bad thing that he'll be directing IX. But, you do. How about you tell us, specifically, the decisions he made that ruined the movie for you and why you think he's such a bad choice for IX.
mightyleemoon

Postby Teitan » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:10 am

I personally appreciated his passion for the project. Bringing back live sets, props, puppets, and the works. He could have easily **** out a CGI-fest like the prequels.
Teitan

Postby Rocker » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:16 am

Teitan wrote:I personally appreciated his passion for the project. Bringing back live sets, props, puppets, and the works. He could have easily **** out a CGI-fest like the prequels.

This.
Rocker

Postby terrytate » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:15 pm

Teitan wrote:I personally appreciated his passion for the project. Bringing back live sets, props, puppets, and the works. He could have easily **** out a CGI-fest like the prequels.

True, I'd have no problem with him doing the effects as long as someone competent was handling the story and directing.
terrytate

Postby mightyleemoon » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:13 pm

terrytate wrote:

True, I'd have no problem with him doing the effects as long as someone competent was handling the story and directing.

I thought the story was written by him and Lawrence Kasdan after they kicked that Toy Story guy off it.
mightyleemoon

Previous

Return to Off Topic