Last One Wins

General Discussion on any Off Topic subject
Re: Last One Wins

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:44 pm

Super K wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Sooo nice to get back in the gym. It's been almost a year.

Weights? Circuit training?

5 day weightlifting split.

I killed the gym last year right up until mom's aneurysm on Nov 5th. Lost all my gains and packed on some grief fat. I'm in the worst shape of my life and finally had enough of it.

Hurt my shoulder the first week so I'm lifting like an Old lady while my joints get back in the habit.

Did 100 reps a day last week and added an extra set for this week. So I'm at 140 reps now.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Super K » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:57 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Super K wrote:
Weights? Circuit training?

5 day weightlifting split.

I killed the gym last year right up until mom's aneurysm on Nov 5th. Lost all my gains and packed on some grief fat. I'm in the worst shape of my life and finally had enough of it.

Hurt my shoulder the first week so I'm lifting like an Old lady while my joints get back in the habit.

Did 100 reps a day last week and added an extra set for this week. So I'm at 140 reps now.

Nice..

Those first 2 weeks getting back into are freaking hell...I remember I would cry trying to put on a dress shirt..

But if ya make it 2 weeks, and don't overdue the start, the physical and mental boost is like cocaine for the soul..

Good luck with it man!
Super K

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:07 pm

Super K wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:5 day weightlifting split.

Nice..

Those first 2 weeks getting back into are freaking hell...I remember I would cry trying to put on a dress shirt..

But if ya make it 2 weeks, and don't overdue the start, the physical and mental boost is like cocaine for the soul..

Good luck with it man!

Since I'm lifting so light right now, soreness hasn't been much of a problem.

I tell myself that I'm working muscles right now and not really challenging them.

The conscious effort to protect my joints is the mental challenge. I wanna get after it and lift heavy things but I'm 40 now and have to be patient. It's shocking how easily I hurt myself that first day.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Sophien » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:22 pm

Born like winer
Sophien

Postby The Outsider » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:57 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Super K wrote:
Nice..

Good luck with it man!

Since I'm lifting so light right now, soreness hasn't been much of a problem.

I tell myself that I'm working muscles right now and not really challenging them.

The conscious effort to protect my joints is the mental challenge. I wanna get after it and lift heavy things but I'm 40 now and have to be patient. It's shocking how easily I hurt myself that first day.

Protecting your joints is so ****ing important. Especially your shoulders. I tore my biceps tendon, my ac joint was bone on bone, and my biceps detatched from the bone on my left side. I had surgery and all to fix it but I'll never be able to do any real intense over head lifting again. And I'm only 30. ****, I spent all day today doing plumbing and it ****ing hurts.
The Outsider

Postby Crocaneers » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:18 am

Zarniwoop wrote:In one of my courses, I introduce the students to the Monty Hall game....the 3 door game...where there is one good prize and 2 bad ones. The contestant picks a prize and the host would then eliminate one of the two doors the contestant didn't pick (the host NEVER eliminates the good prize). Then I ask the students the same thing Monty Hall asked the contestants -- do you want to keep your door or switch?

Less than 50% of the class realizes that you should ALWAYS switch.

It's a fun little experiment.

Z

I wanted to pull this from the Grimey thread into to here. I find it interesting and wanted to see if you broke the switch down (M/ F), age range, etc to see who switches and who stays.
Crocaneers

Postby beardmcdoug » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:49 am

Crocaneers wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:In one of my courses, I introduce the students to the Monty Hall game....the 3 door game...where there is one good prize and 2 bad ones. The contestant picks a prize and the host would then eliminate one of the two doors the contestant didn't pick (the host NEVER eliminates the good prize). Then I ask the students the same thing Monty Hall asked the contestants -- do you want to keep your door or switch?

Less than 50% of the class realizes that you should ALWAYS switch.

It's a fun little experiment.

Z

I wanted to pull this from the Grimey thread into to here. I find it interesting and wanted to see if you broke the switch down (M/ F), age range, etc to see who switches and who stays.

what would "etc" be, if not sex and age?

you going to break it down by race?

by religion?

and why would you want to put anybody through the embarrassing task of identifying their gender in front of their peers, anyways? don't you know the damage you could do?

what were you going to do with this data anyways?

we're watching you, crocaneers
beardmcdoug

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:00 am

Ha!!

Croc, I've never thought of analyzing the data to check for differences in gender or any other demographic. I think I'll start collecting!!!!!

What I find most disturbing though, is after I give them the basic statistical argument to switch, many students often refuse to acknowledge it. They insist that it's a 50/50 chance if you stay or switch. People in general have a very difficult time when trying to decide when to apply Bayesian updates to base rates....this is a rare case where people update their probabilities when in fact they shouldn't. Most "errors" go the other way. We fail to update our probabilities.

It's only when I show them an on-line simulator and let them play 100 or so trails of the game do they actually believe me.

Here is an example of simulator I use.

http://www.shodor.org/interactivate/act ... MontyHall/
Zarniwoop

Postby MJW » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:50 am

Question for Floridians:

On Facebook's "Today's Games" feature (on the sidebar), The Canes are shortened to "MFL." I have never heard this abbreviation. Is this is a thing? In Nebraska, we tend to call the college "UNL" even though nobody else in the country does. Same deal here, or is Facebook just being stupid?
MJW

Postby acmillis » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:00 pm

MJW wrote:Question for Floridians:

On Facebook's "Today's Games" feature (on the sidebar), The Canes are shortened to "MFL." I have never heard this abbreviation. Is this is a thing? In Nebraska, we tend to call the college "UNL" even though nobody else in the country does. Same deal here, or is Facebook just being stupid?

UM or MIA
acmillis

Postby Zarniwoop » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:59 pm

So my little one raced in the nationals today ... 50 cc, 8 and under.

She got 5th in both Motos, out of 26.

If they had a girls class she would have gotten 1st and 2nd. It’s ridiculous to have 8 year old girls race 8 year old boys...who have a few inches and 20 lbs on them. But she still kicked most of their butts!!!!

I’m a very proud papa today. Her determination was unbelievable!!!
Zarniwoop

Postby Rocker » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:52 pm

That put a much-needed smile on my face.

Where’d Pops place?
Rocker

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:54 pm

Pretty cool.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Zarniwoop » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:58 pm

Rocker wrote:That put a much-needed smile on my face.

Where’d Pops place?

Sadly, I didn’t qualify for nationals
Zarniwoop

Postby Buc2 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:59 pm

Man... This place sure gets depressing when the Bucs suck. I might just have to skip the TD forum for a while. :lol:
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:35 pm

Depressing?

The stupidity cheers me up. No matter how bad my world is, I read TD and feel better about myself!!!
Zarniwoop

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:11 am

So yesterday after dinner, my little one was playing in her room...and I took her in a new gift a got for her...a stuffed Beanie Boo elephant...she squeezed it, hugged me and said "Thank you papa"...I smiled and said "don't mention it"

(wait for it....)
Zarniwoop

Postby Rocker » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:40 am

I’d like to take the day off and go golfing.
Rocker

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:45 am

Rocker wrote:I’d like to take the day off and go golfing.

No kidding. I'd be happy to just go to the driving range at this point.

Haven't golfed in about a year...maybe two.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:47 am

It’s a high of 42 today here!

I haven’t golfed since last Christmas in Naples when visiting my parents. I’m sure I’ll go again this Christmas.
Zarniwoop

Postby Crocaneers » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:08 am

A LOW Golf outing?????

Let's do this
Crocaneers

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:39 am

Got a big career choice to make. I've been offered a Dean's position at my school and I have till after Thanksgiving break to give a reply. I'm surprised they offered it to me because I didn't apply for it and about 5 years ago I turned it down.

Pros -- a bit more money, a bit more prestige, get to work on the big picture curriculum stuff that I enjoy

Cons - it comes with a teaching load reduction (and I love to teach), loss of schedule flexibility (it's basically an 8 to 5 job and I would lose the random dirtbike Tuesday and my open schedule for consulting...note which i prioritize :P ), a non-trivial amount of functions outside of the normal 8 - 5 day, three or four weekend travel conferences per year.

I'm leaning towards no again....I would love this job in about 5 more years when my daughter is in high school and is more independent. She is still at the age where I am her best friend and we hang out and play together...that isn't going to last that much longer and I'm not sure I want to give up that time as I won't ever be able to get it back. My biggest hesitation to saying no immediately is that I'm afraid if I turn it down a second time, it might not come a third time when I really want it.
Zarniwoop

Postby Kress » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:59 am

Change happens when the pain of holding on is outweighed by the fear of letting go. (Don't attribute that to Tony Robbins because he is a hack who stole it.) But it holds true. Look to your fear. Fear of losing fatherhood? Fear of losing financial stability that would provide for that same family and possibly future generations? Fear of not making a statement with your life and helping others? Motivation is driven by fear. You know this. Primitive fight or flight ****. Fear drives us. Go into meta-cognition mode and look at it. Deeply.

Your choice. We can't advise you here. It's an inside job. Career/children/future career/future support for your family/ability to affect the lives of others. Ugh. I know that I just said we can't advise you, but crap. I'd say go all in. In 10 years you might regret if you didn't. And so might your wife and kids. But what the hell do I know. I'm not in your life. You might also harbor regret for that lost time. Ugh. Again, an inside job. Go with your gut on this one man. But I say go all in. That's all I can muster right now with my expressly non-advice advice.
Last edited by Kress on Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kress

Postby acmillis » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:01 am

Zarniwoop wrote:Got a big career choice to make. I've been offered a Dean's position at my school and I have till after Thanksgiving break to give a reply. I'm surprised they offered it to me because I didn't apply for it and about 5 years ago I turned it down.

Pros -- a bit more money, a bit more prestige, get to work on the big picture curriculum stuff that I enjoy

Cons - it comes with a teaching load reduction (and I love to teach), loss of schedule flexibility (it's basically an 8 to 5 job and I would lose the random dirtbike Tuesday and my open schedule for consulting...note which i prioritize :P ), a non-trivial amount of functions outside of the normal 8 - 5 day, three or four weekend travel conferences per year.

I'm leaning towards no again....I would love this job in about 5 more years when my daughter is in high school and is more independent. She is still at the age where I am her best friend and we hang out and play together...that isn't going to last that much longer and I'm not sure I want to give up that time as I won't ever be able to get it back. My biggest hesitation to saying no immediately is that I'm afraid if I turn it down a second time, it might not come a third time when I really want it.

Is you institution one that normally searches for a candidate (Administrator level and up) or is this type of position offered without a search?

The institution I work for rarely offers without a search so maybe that is something to consider. If, in 5 years, you apply and they ask, "what was up the other two times you were offered the position?" Your reasoning above should deter any second guessing.
acmillis

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:16 am

thanks guys...this is what i'm loooking for.....different points of view so i'm thinking about this as comprehensively as possible

AC - we are a small school (< 3,500 enrollment), we very rarely do external searches for this particular position...basically the internal curriculum and faculty Dean...3 folks have had this position since I've worked here...all were internal hires. ... the one we do extensive external search is the fund raising Dean position.
Zarniwoop

Postby Kress » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:21 am

Zarniwoop wrote:thanks guys...this is what i'm loooking for.....different points of view so i'm thinking about this as comprehensively as possible

AC - we are a small school (< 3,500 enrollment), we very rarely do external searches for this particular position...basically the internal curriculum and faculty Dean...3 folks have had this position since I've worked here...all were internal hires. ... the one we do extensive external search is the fund raising Dean position.

Had to go back and edit mine for an attempt at more clarity. Sorry. Typing on my phone here.
Kress

Postby acmillis » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:48 am

Zarniwoop wrote:thanks guys...this is what i'm loooking for.....different points of view so i'm thinking about this as comprehensively as possible

Not to say we're in the same boat, at all, I'm low level management at my College, but I also adjunct a couple classes. The impact (I think) I have in the classroom far outweighs any impact (again, my opinion) I have on people sitting in my office discussing non-instructional things.

Also, our faculty work 166 days/year whereas staff and Admin (potentially you), work 243. I'm assuming as instructional staff you get the option of teaching Summer where in this new position, it would be a year-round deal, no?

I have two kids 3, and 1, and if I could make less but work less, I'd do it!

Just my .02
acmillis

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:07 pm

thanks ... all good things to think about.

the summer thing is a big one. as a faculty i generally don't teach in the summer, or if it do, it's on-line primarily from home. i do probably 75% of my consulting in the summer months.

this new position would have me working Monday through Thursday 8 to 5 in the summer.

i totally agree the real difference we make is in the classroom, not in administration.
Zarniwoop

Postby Crocaneers » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:36 pm

I never look at up as bad .. unless you don't want more "up" in the future ... I am the same position .. consideration of getting to move up in my organization and starting some level of management (real people not processes).

I always look at moving inside is always safe. You get the experience, and challenge and you have knowledge of what you are in for. Anytime you move out, you dont have that. No one wants static (at least I dont).

Swing for the fence , Z. They are considering you itself is an honor. That may not come back around next time, as they will label you "not interested".
Crocaneers

Postby Kress » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:39 pm

acmillis wrote: The impact (I think) I have in the classroom far outweighs any impact (again, my opinion) I have on people sitting in my office.

Direct effect, sure. But the other side is indirect effect. Whether it is instructional or not, advising or controlling the institutional aspect of it affects everyone there. The entire student body. And the teachers. And the staff. All the way to the maintenance guy and the custodians. You are affecting lives there. You can't just focus on the students at that point. You are affecting everyone. But at the same time indirectly affecting the students you speak of by making the whole institution better, teachers on down.
Kress

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic