***Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread***

General Discussion on any Off Topic subject
Re: ***Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread***

Postby Swashy » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:30 am

PrimeMinister wrote:
PanteraCanes wrote:

I haven't watched as much lately. Missed all but the Carl death episode of the second half of this season. Though to me the Michonne character has kind of lost its interest. Part of the interest was being some mysterious powerful fighter.

As far as how long it takes to turn after a bite it does seem to depend on the script. Though I often just leave it in my head to how possibly healthy the person is and their will power to fight it. The stranger part is since everyone already is infected what is it about a bite that makes you turn? Maybe the bit has some other infection in it and the area becomes septic? That would make it more understable how if you could cut off the place you were bitten then you could survive.

Good point. TWD has given up on even “pseudo science” at this point. We just have to accept that if you’re bitten you turn unless you cut off the infection and if you die of old age you turn. The speed of the turn depends on how fast paced the action is around you and how central a character you happen to be.

lmao!!

This show does not have long if the average fanbase is talking about it like this.
Swashy

Postby Buc2 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:17 pm

Swashy wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:
Good point. TWD has given up on even “pseudo science” at this point. We just have to accept that if you’re bitten you turn unless you cut off the infection and if you die of old age you turn. The speed of the turn depends on how fast paced the action is around you and how central a character you happen to be.

lmao!!

This show does not have long if the average fanbase is talking about it like this.

I don't think the average fan is talking like this. It's still seems to be crazy popular. I still enjoy it myself, facts be known.

I've never been one to allow minutia to dampen my enjoyment of fantasy. I understand that for some folks, those details are very important to them and their ability to enjoy a film or TV series. So, for those folks, if they move on from this show, I can fully understand. I've moved on from shows that I lost interest in for one reason or another myself. It happens.

As for the Carl death story, I think it needed to be told. Like him or not, he was a major character and deserved more than a, "See ya! Wouldn't wanna be ya!" farewell. Hell, on Talking Dead, they said he's still alive in the comic series.

As for Michonne, I can understand where she's at now. She's tired of fighting. Her character evolved from a normal woman with a family before the apocalypse, to a woman having to fight everyday just to survive. then back to being in a, somewhat, normal place again with Rick & Carl being her new family. Alexandria gave her a taste of what life could be like again and that's what she covets now. So I can understand how her character has evolved. She's liable to evolve back to survival mode (or should I say, devolve?) depending on what happens over the course of the next few episodes.

There is still a lot this show can do, so I don't see it winding to a close anytime soon.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Swashy » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:49 pm

I don't have much frame of reference here to go by Buc2 because I gave up on the show a very long time ago. As each season went on I was enthralled for every second. I'd think to myself "Wow they're really trying to establish how hopeless things are here" and then things slowed down a bit. We got some time to get to know everyone as people. We got to see human beings again. Then the group got closer and closer to Alexandria. We come to find out what what's his face (Eugene I think?) was bullshitting about knowing what was going on and being a scientist. Long before then I had already established that things are hopeless. I've established that the reason all this is happening is because for some unknown reason we all end up as zombies unless our brains get blown out first. Whether you're bit, die of natural causes etc you're gonna be one of "them" and the whole cycle starts over again.

With absolutely no end in sight I developed a question that I was unable to come to grips with "If it's hopeless then why should I even care about these people and watch their story?" What's left for me as a fan?

TWD suffers from a 3 part vicious cycle.

1. For some reason we're all turning into zombies alive, dead or bitten
2. Alright we've had enough zombies for now, how about people?
3. Bad guy and triumph

I talk to ex-TWD fans all the time and ask why they stopped watching "Too gory" "Too boring" "Killed too many of my favorite characters" "The plot is wearing me out"

Action and reaction are far different from cause and effect and somehow the reason WHY all this **** started going down became lost in the process and secondary within the writing of the story. It is literally AMC WWE. They're gonna do whatever they want and are keep slugging it along for as long as people are gonna watch it and pay for it.

If people are making casual jokes of Carl dying then there is a very serious problem with how desensitized/apathetic the fanbase has become. I'm gonna tell you right now I hear Carl died and didn't care one bit and asked myself how the hell the baby managed to live all this time when in real life Judith would have been amongst the very first casualties
Swashy

Postby PrimeMinister » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:25 pm

Great post, Swashy.

TWD died for me with the poor writing. The writers aren’t interested in telling a new story beyond “Group finds safe haven...enemy group wants safe haven or supplies...groups fight...safe haven destroyed...group searches for new safe haven”.

On the individual character level the characters are on this incessant loop of “killing humans is murder and wrong...killing is necessary to survive...but is survival worth it if we lose our souls”. This was an interesting philosophical question early in the series, but it’s a joke at this point. It’s like the characters forget the growth they had in previous seasons only to repeat the loop about 2 seasons later. This is piss poor writing and that’s why TWD is dying. I’m not even one of the people who was offended by Glenn’s death. It was gory AF, but that’s what this show is. I just can’t deal with characters with dumb or poorly fleshed put motivations for their actions. The writers move characters around to get to some scene they’re wanting to show the audience. This is done instead of writing a compelling story for WHY this character is making this decision in this moment.

It’s just lazy writing.
PrimeMinister

Postby Phantom Phenom » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:18 pm

I only saw TWD first episode...

That it

Yeah zombie sucks

NERD!
Phantom Phenom

Postby paco74 » Wed May 02, 2018 9:45 am

Voldemort dies again....Image
paco74

Postby PrimeMinister » Wed May 02, 2018 11:37 am

How many of us here are still watching this?
PrimeMinister

Postby Rocker » Wed May 02, 2018 11:47 am

PrimeMinister wrote:How many of us here are still watching this?

I stopped after season three.
Rocker

Postby Super K » Wed May 02, 2018 11:50 am

Sorry...missed all of this year sans the first episode or 2...don't think I'll be going back either...

Think the last epsiode I saw Sheba died...
Super K

Postby PrimeMinister » Wed May 02, 2018 11:53 am

Super K wrote:

Sorry...missed all of this year sans the first episode or 2...don't think I'll be going back either...

Think the last epsiode I saw Sheba died...

I stopped watching after Carl died. Haven’t gone back and even then I was binge watching about once a month. It has devolved into hate-watching and then listening to a podcast that rips the show lol. It’s the only TWD joy remaining for me.
PrimeMinister

Postby DreadNaught » Wed May 02, 2018 12:04 pm

I am. I finished the season. The last couple episodes were good.

Michone must have been tied up w/ Black Panther and IW b/c she was barley in last season.
DreadNaught

Postby Buc2 » Wed May 02, 2018 12:07 pm

I'm still watching. Watching Fear too.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu May 03, 2018 7:49 am

The show once consistently pulled in 17 million viewers. It's now down to just over 6 and falling drastically. I don't think there will be many more seasons.

It's too bad, because it was once a great show. The writing just went to ****.

Edit: It reminds me of Prison Break's demise or even, more dramatically, how Heores fell off a cliff.
uscbucsfan

Postby Caradoc » Thu May 03, 2018 2:59 pm

They really seem to like some of the most unlikable characters. Fear started out with an entirely unlikable family except for Nick and maybe the dad. Then they added Ruben Blades (likable) and Strand (likable) and Ofelia (tolerable). Madison and the daughter are like Laurie and Andrea 2.0 - and yet somehow, they kill off the good characters and leave Madison, the daughter and Ofelia, meaning Strand is the final likable character from the opening season (At least they got rid of that annoying prick Chris(not sure on his name, the Dad's son). Not to mention the year long hand job of a goodbye to Carl (who wasn't anywhere near as popular as they seemed to think), but then they thunderbolt Nick out of nowhere.
Caradoc

Postby EastBayBucsFan » Thu May 03, 2018 3:17 pm

Bringing Morgan from TWD to Fear is kind of weird.

Yes there are two paths you can go by, but in the long run, there's still time to change the road you're on
EastBayBucsFan

Postby Buc2 » Thu May 03, 2018 3:43 pm

Nick was killed off because he was leaving the show for other pursuits.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby PrimeMinister » Thu May 03, 2018 4:01 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:The show once consistently pulled in 17 million viewers. It's now down to just over 6 and falling drastically. I don't think there will be many more seasons.

It's too bad, because it was once a great show. The writing just went to ****.

Edit: It reminds me of Prison Break's demise or even, more dramatically, how Heores fell off a cliff.

Heroes could have been great. The first season was amazing, but the writers strike killed them.
PrimeMinister

Postby Super K » Thu May 03, 2018 4:50 pm

Did they ever save the cheerleader? (That's all I remember about that show)
Super K

Postby PrimeMinister » Thu May 03, 2018 8:25 pm

Super K wrote:Did they ever save the cheerleader? (That's all I remember about that show)

I think so, but it ended up not mattering? I don’t remember.
PrimeMinister

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu May 03, 2018 8:35 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
Super K wrote:Did they ever save the cheerleader? (That's all I remember about that show)

I think so, but it ended up not mattering? I don’t remember.

Spoiler:
They didn't save her from Sylar, but you're right, it didn't matter. Peter was the exploding man.

I mean it's pretty old, but just in case.
uscbucsfan

Postby paco74 » Fri May 04, 2018 9:12 am

I still watch both series. I don't get too wrapped up in the breaking down of the shows like a critic would. Opinions are like ***holes....

There isn't much else on at those time slots and both shows are still better than some of the crap that comes on on the Sify channel.

I'm watching Krypton, but I record it and get to it as can. It's interesting enough. Into the Badlands I enjoy for the martial arts stuff, plus it is interesting enough to keep me coming back.
paco74

Postby PrimeMinister » Fri May 04, 2018 2:23 pm

paco74 wrote:I still watch both series. I don't get too wrapped up in the breaking down of the shows like a critic would. Opinions are like ***holes....

There isn't much else on at those time slots and both shows are still better than some of the crap that comes on on the Sify channel.

I'm watching Krypton, but I record it and get to it as can. It's interesting enough. Into the Badlands I enjoy for the martial arts stuff, plus it is interesting enough to keep me coming back.

I don’t break shows down like a critic would, but TWD became just THAT bad. It’s nearly impossible to enjoy the show when they repeat the same damn storyline every year. The writing killed this show years ago, but it took a while for me to accept that it would never get better.
PrimeMinister

Postby Caradoc » Sun May 06, 2018 4:47 pm

paco74 wrote:I still watch both series. I don't get too wrapped up in the breaking down of the shows like a critic would. Opinions are like ***holes....

Imagevia Imgflip Meme Generator
Caradoc

Postby PrimeMinister » Sun May 06, 2018 4:49 pm

Ha!!
PrimeMinister

Postby paco74 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:11 pm

So I am hearing that Rick will be gone soon. Andrew Lincoln is leaving the show. Wonder if he dies or he leaves the group and never returns?
paco74

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:42 pm

paco74 wrote:So I am hearing that Rick will be gone soon. Andrew Lincoln is leaving the show. Wonder if he dies or he leaves the group and never returns?

Now that he can't say Coral anymore I don't like his character as much.
DreadNaught

Postby PrimeMinister » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:51 pm

Coral made both characters work.
PrimeMinister

Postby Buc2 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:41 pm

R.I.P. Hershel. For real this time.

Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby PrimeMinister » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:40 pm

RIP. Sad to hear.
PrimeMinister

Postby Buc2 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:20 pm

Spoiler:
Maggie went straight up badass executing people that do bad things.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic