***Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread***

General Discussion on any Off Topic subject
Re: ***Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread***

Postby Jimmy McGill » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:08 am

Heisenberg wrote:I want rick to kill him with Lucille.

I have a feeling it's going to be Carl that kills him.
Jimmy McGill

Postby Buc2 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:57 am

Or maybe they capture him and let Maggie do the deed? And who doesn't think that Daryl is just bidding his time for the right moment to strike? I sure hope he hasn't completely succumbed to Negan's physiological warfare.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Wenchy » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:59 am

They need to get Maggie involved in the story again pretty soon. I'm starting to lose interest in her.
Wenchy

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:11 am

Does no one else think Negan is way too over the top? I get that he's sadistic, crazy, confident, and based on a comic, but they are making him way too animated in the show IMO. He hasn't said a word or completed an action without making a show out of it, even when talking to his people alone.

It's getting annoying to me. At some point there has to be some sort of depth and realness to his character.
uscbucsfan

Postby Wenchy » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:14 am

YES! And I hate feeling that way, because I'm a huge Jeffrey Dean Morgan fan. The portrayal is almost comical, and not intimidating as much as it is annoying.
Wenchy

Postby Buc2 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:36 am

Apparently this is the directors way of insuring most fans hate him. I think if this was real life and he acted like this, someone from his own group would have already taken him out. I agree it is time to move past this shtick and give the audience something of more substance. We already hate him so there's no point in continuing with this.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby PanteraCanes » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:49 am

uscbucsfan wrote:Does no one else think Negan is way too over the top? I get that he's sadistic, crazy, confident, and based on a comic, but they are making him way too animated in the show IMO. He hasn't said a word or completed an action without making a show out of it, even when talking to his people alone.

It's getting annoying to me. At some point there has to be some sort of depth and realness to his character.

I have kind of accepted it as his character. His psychological warfare to keep everyone in line even though most hate him. It is kind of strange that he gives people the chance to take him down by handing them weapons and turning his back on them. Though I have also seen people who are very over the top and confident in what they are doing is right and the way life is so I am familiar with it too where others might not be.

I feel like when he does meet his end that its going to be like in the wizard of oz, his entire army will be glad. Well most will. There are a couple of horrible people who will be upset.

Also can't stand how sorry of a state Rick is in right now. Though a lot of this story line is him making foolish mistakes all along with Negan. He seems to have no middle ground. Either overly macho when obviously losing and need a miracle or cowering in a corner when there is a chance.
PanteraCanes

Postby Heisenberg » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:32 pm

Negans easily getting to be too much..too charactery and all punchlines. It goes from a gritty show to the negan punchline act.
Heisenberg

Postby Jimmy McGill » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:20 pm

Who are you?
Jimmy McGill

Postby PrimeMinister » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:25 pm

I disagree with most of the Negan opinions here. So far I'm liking his character. His is dramatic, but I think that's just his character's way of keeping everyone off balance at all times. Last episode was another step in the psychological breaking down of Rick, but this time in front of the rest of the town. Having Rick hold Lucille while repeatedly turning his back to him let's both Rick & everyone else know he isn't a threat to Negan. I don't like seeing broken Rick, but that is a realistic response to watching two close friends bludgeoned to death and then your son almost losing his arm. Negan is the best villain at psychological warfare so far and we are seeing the initial effects on Rick and Darryl. He has all of his people terrified to even think about opposing him. JDM is doing a fantastic Jim IMO.
PrimeMinister

Postby IchabodCrane84 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:54 pm

Anyone feel the Rick/Michonne romance is a bit out of place and forced? I just don't see those 2 in a romantic storyline.
IchabodCrane84

Postby RedLeader » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:27 pm

IchabodCrane84 wrote:Anyone feel the Rick/Michonne romance is a bit out of place and forced? I just don't see those 2 in a romantic storyline.

Yes. 100% agree.
RedLeader

Postby Super K » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:20 pm

Agree on the "Ri-Chonne" OTP,as my daughter labels, it Ich (one true pair)...BTW, she's 'shipped (whatever the hell that means) this romance since the prison got leveled...

Anyway, my wife, whom has been a die hard fan with me since the beginning is starting to fade..in her words the show is "becoming more and more like a soap opera where nothing happens"..and "if you skip a week, you don't really miss anything"..

Getting harder and harder to disagree with her and keep her tuned in...
Super K

Postby Super K » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:17 pm

Another freakin snoozefest this week (good call BKWhopper)...

And only 2 more episodes this "half" season?..

Other than the season premier, I've been really disappointed this year..
Super K

Postby Swashy » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:29 am

I glimpsed through the thread because Lady Swash claims it's been really good and I should watch again but it this sounds like a real drag ass season to me. I'm gonna take a wild guess the whole group is really pissed off at Rick for reasons either related or unrelated to Negan and the next logical step in the formula is everyone hatching plans to deal with Rick in the annual struggle for authority or Negan or both at the same time. But only that it's taken like 4 or 5 episodes of Negan doing nothing else but acting like an ***hole and Rick doing nothing about it for this to happen. If that's the case then wow... I hope it gets better soon. Lady Swash won't tell me she says I've gotta watch but I want to have the inclination to do so. So far your reviews ain't doing it for me.

She had me watch Negan give one of his speeches before his executions. The dude is like a bad rendition of Jack Nicholson's joker. If he's been doing that all year then I can't imagine how insufferably annoying his character is.
Swashy

Postby paco74 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:20 am

Apparently if we don't have a main character dying every week, the show is a snooze fest.

I for one thought the episode was much deeper than folks give it credit for. Of course, the producers had to work back in the Tara character. Remember, the actress that plays Tara was out having a baby. Also, Heath, the guy she was out with was having major internal struggles with the murdering of the Negan outpost station people. On top of all that, there is the Oceana group reveal. It shows how powerful and influential the Saviors are with so many groups having lost people to, fallen under the control of, and or simply done everything to get a way from.

From the little preview just after the episode ending, it looks as if Rick is finally thinking of an exit strategy and has something in motion. I haven't watched Talking Dead yet so I haven't seen the additional sneak preview.

AND, HEY! Carl might finally become a "man" soon. :lol:
paco74

Postby Buc2 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:19 am

paco74 wrote:Apparently if we don't have a main character dying every week, the show is a snooze fest.

I for one thought the episode was much deeper than folks give it credit for. Of course, the producers had to work back in the Tara character. Remember, the actress that plays Tara was out having a baby. Also, Heath, the guy she was out with was having major internal struggles with the murdering of the Negan outpost station people. On top of all that, there is the Oceana group reveal. It shows how powerful and influential the Saviors are with so many groups having lost people to, fallen under the control of, and or simply done everything to get a way from.

From the little preview just after the episode ending, it looks as if Rick is finally thinking of an exit strategy and has something in motion. I haven't watched Talking Dead yet so I haven't seen the additional sneak preview.

AND, HEY! Carl might finally become a "man" soon. :lol:

I agree, paco. Like you, I really liked this episode. It answers some questions while creating new questions. Apparently if there isn't non-stop action, some just won't be happy. If everything is non-stop action, at some point there is no longer any story to tell. Episodes like this are necessary to keep building a story. Game of Thrones does the same thing. Otherwise a show can just conclude after a couple seasons. Just my opinion of course.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:49 am

I don't mind slow episodes, but the show has really been hurting. It was never a great written show in comparison to HBO shows, but it did have good characters, people could die at anytime(or at least the illusion), and it was interesting enough to keep us watching.

Since the middle of last season the writing has gone down hill, there is no more illusion of "anyone can die", and some of the new characters are annoying and push viewers away(I'm talking about Negan). The show has had it's biggest rating drop since it began and each week they are losing viewers in drones. I stopped watching it the night of and I'm starting to stop caring about the show.

The show really has been stale since the end of the Governer timeline thinking back.

Just my opinion.
uscbucsfan

Postby PanteraCanes » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:18 pm

I still like it. They are introducing new communities and groups. Some we may see again and some we might not. Seems a lot of these groups are isolated and kept oppressed by Negan's group though I feel it is building up to where they are going to run into each other enough to find a big enough army to take down Negan.

It is also interesting to see how these different groups live.

Seems we are hearing some of the same complaints from when they were on the farm many seasons ago? People looking for an out or a jump the shark moment.
PanteraCanes

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:44 pm

PanteraCanes wrote:Seems we are hearing some of the same complaints from when they were on the farm many seasons ago? People looking for an out or a jump the shark moment.

I think the show jumped the shark with Glenn last year, twice.

That's really what turned me off. I tried to wait for the great season with Negan, but I really hate his character...I'll still watch in hopes it gets better.

It doesn't help that Westworld is immensely better and comes on at the same time.
uscbucsfan

Postby PanteraCanes » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:04 pm

I would agree that Glenn surviving under the dumpster was really far fetched. Especially after the couple of close calls he already had. The one where he got shot and there were a few that were falling on him was a stretch but I could take it. The one where he was able to crawl under the dumpster and not get bit or have any try to crawl under after him was just too much.
PanteraCanes

Postby Mike1989 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:15 pm

I think one problem that the walking dead has is that with 16 episodes there is always potential for having filler episodes. Yes an argument can be made for filler episodes on Game of Thrones, but when they move from the different locations it is ultimately building up the story towards the big finale of the season. Ten episodes really works for GOT, but imagine GOT with 16 episodes. That's six more episodes to find something to do and that would likely result in filler episodes. For me, TWD would be better with less episodes, perhaps 10 like GOT, because at that point it would be more focused and potentially we would see less filler episodes.

Another problem I was discussing this with someone at work the other day is that after the premiere of seven season, you could almost watch the subsequent episodes in any order, or even miss episodes and tune in last night and not even realise you have missed anything. For me, that is part of the problem with the walking dead this season. So far this season we have had...

- "The Day Will Come When You Won't Be" - important to show who got killed and impose Negan's threat on the audience.
- "The Well" - important because it introduces the Kingdom
- "The Cell" - filler episode, it had Daryl in it but this was more about Dwight.
- "Service" - dragged out episode, no way did Negan's first visit to Alexandria really need to be an entire episode.
- "Go Getters" - poorly written. When did Jesus become close to Maggie, Glenn and co? I don't remember that happening in season 6, or did it happen off screen? Carl and Enid seems forced, though I suppose they don't have any other options in the TWD dating scene. The only positive was Maggie stepping up.
- "Swear" - this episode could either be important if Oceanside becomes part of the story going forwards, or it could be a total waste of time if Oceanside is never seen or heard from again. Heath and Tara are not important enough characters to warrant their own episode.

So does hopping from one set of people to another set of people each week create a sense of commitment to the viewer to watch? Or do people think, well I don't really give two hoots about Heath and Tara so I'll record it and watch it at a later date when I can be bothered, and watch something else that is currently on live?

For me, the last four episodes have been fairly disappointing. That is not to say they haven't had their highlights, but a lot of those episodes could have been condensed down or even missed out. Like I said earlier in my post, if TWD became 10 episodes, the last four episodes would likely have either not made the series (e.g. Oceanside unless it becomes a factor in the series and is not a one off) or condensed down (e.g. Negan's visit to Alexandria, Daryl's torture etc), and in a sense that could make for a better product because it would be more story driven and focused on the main story rather than springing off in multiple directions which may or may not interest the average viewer, and that might be partly the reason why some viewers have changed the channel because they are hopping all over the place.

I don't mind TWD hopping all over the place, but they need to improve the writing because the past four episodes have not been average at best.
Mike1989

Postby Heisenberg » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:52 pm

I feel like many are less interested when everyone's split up..as it leads to more filler type episodes and focus on one group and less getting **** done. Same with past seasons..seems most complaints come when they're split up.(not here just in general).
Heisenberg

Postby paco74 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:07 pm

So, what did everyone think of the Neegan-Carl dynamic. I have some thoughts but won't post anything until some here have had a chance to view the episode if they recorded it. Interesting though. Way may finally get a deeper look at who Neegan was before the apocalypse...at least I hope so.
paco74

Postby Super K » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:13 pm

paco74 wrote:So, what did everyone think of the Neegan-Carl dynamic. I have some thoughts but won't post anything until some here have had a chance to view the episode if they recorded it. Interesting though. Way may finally get a deeper look at who Neegan was before the apocalypse...at least I hope so.

Definitely some psychological warfare goin on...
Super K

Postby Buc2 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:31 pm

paco74 wrote:So, what did everyone think of the Neegan-Carl dynamic. I have some thoughts but won't post anything until some here have had a chance to view the episode if they recorded it. Interesting though. Way may finally get a deeper look at who Neegan was before the apocalypse...at least I hope so.

I would think if anyone had yet to see the episode, they would have the sense not to open a thread devoted to discussing the show.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby theBKwhopper » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:37 am

uscbucsfan wrote:Does no one else think Negan is way too over the top? I get that he's sadistic, crazy, confident, and based on a comic, but they are making him way too animated in the show IMO. He hasn't said a word or completed an action without making a show out of it, even when talking to his people alone.

The end of episode 7 was pretty freaking real.
theBKwhopper

Postby theBKwhopper » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:46 am

Super K wrote:Another freakin snoozefest this week (good call BKWhopper)...

Episode 6: Once I saw it was about Tara, I felt it would be a little boring. I think it developed Negan's character, though.

Episode 7: Great episode! They took us deeper into the life of Negan and just how demented he is. Some stuff is gonna go down in the finale.
theBKwhopper

Postby Buc2 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:38 am

theBKwhopper wrote:
Super K wrote:Another freakin snoozefest this week (good call BKWhopper)...

Episode 6: Once I saw it was about Tara, I felt it would be a little boring. I think it developed Negan's character, though.

Episode 7: Great episode! They took us deeper into the life of Negan and just how demented he is. Some stuff is gonna go down in the finale.

Rick is liable to become Bad Rick again when he sees Negan with Judith.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby IchabodCrane84 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:42 pm

"I'm 50% more turned on by you now" funniest line of the series.
IchabodCrane84

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic