***Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread***

General Discussion on any Off Topic subject
Re: ***Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread***

Postby Buc2 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:14 pm

paco74 wrote:
Buc2 wrote:I watched Talking Dead and it's supposed to be 6 years after Rick. Regardless, I agree with you. It was a great half season and I'm glad I stuck with it. Did you see the previews of the 3 upcoming episodes?

A couple things...
Spoiler:
Looks like Negan is still around but changed into a good guy.
The walkers can communicate with each other. Someone in the previews mentioned they are evolving. :shock:

Also from the Talking Dead show... While Andy Lincoln will no longer be in TWD, apparently they're working on a bunch of other stuff. Such as feature films (on AMC of course) where he will still be cast as Rick Grimes. The settings can and will be set in the past, present and future of the current TV show. We will see how some other areas are doing in the apocalypse, including other areas of the world.

Could be some fun stuff ahead for sure.

Speaking on your spoiler tag comment....I do now remember the word
Spoiler:
evolving
being used. I was a little drunk...still...after the Bucs game lol.

As far 6 year later....how old was Judith? I thought she was only like 3, but I'm wrong often. She seemed anywhere from 11-13 in the scenes.

I stopped recording The Talking Dead inadvertently and regret it. I will fix that before next season. I think this half season has brought back viewers. AMC made it a point to show that The Walking Dead was the #1 show for something or another.

I think she was like 3 or 4, so that would make her, at most, 10 in the 2nd half season. The actress that will play her is 11.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Jimmy McGill » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:33 am

Buc2 wrote:
paco74 wrote:Great half season. So it looks like we are looking at a 9 year time jump coming up. 11/12 year old "little kickass" was awesome. I'm pumped for the return of the season. So nine years and no Rick. I hope we get more info on what happened.

I watched Talking Dead and it's supposed to be 6 years after Rick. Regardless, I agree with you. It was a great half season and I'm glad I stuck with it. Did you see the previews of the 3 upcoming episodes?

A couple things...
Spoiler:
The walkers can communicate with each other. Someone in the previews mentioned they are evolving. :shock:

Spoiler:
They’re not walkers
Jimmy McGill

Postby PetePierson » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:54 am

Jimmy McGill wrote:
Buc2 wrote:I watched Talking Dead and it's supposed to be 6 years after Rick. Regardless, I agree with you. It was a great half season and I'm glad I stuck with it. Did you see the previews of the 3 upcoming episodes?

A couple things...
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
They’re not walkers

PetePierson wrote:Thinking Walkers are actually the Whisperers, not actually the dead.
PetePierson

Postby Buc2 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:29 am

Hmm... Okay. I hadn't thought of that. So Whisperer's are posing as Walkers? Interesting.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby paco74 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:13 pm

The smell must be otherworldly.
paco74

Postby PetePierson » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:09 am

I know many have checked out / given up on this series, some long ago.

But this season has been one of the best since seasons 1-3.

As a diehard fan dork of the graphic novels, I was concerned when Andrew Lincoln left the show, but the writers / producers have done a great job.
PetePierson

Postby Buc2 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:11 am

PetePierson wrote:I know many have checked out / given up on this series, some long ago.

But this season has been one of the best since seasons 1-3.

As a diehard fan dork of the graphic novels, I was concerned when Andrew Lincoln left the show, but the writers / producers have done a great job.

I agree. This season has been, by far, one of the best in the past few years. I'm enjoying it again like I did in the first few years.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby paco74 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:55 am

I think that is the general consensus. The story has gotten better. I think everyone loves "little ass kicker" and I know I like the new and improved Eugene. I feel a death coming tho. There is a special cast member who is coming on Talking Dead next week. We all know how that always works out...especially since there are only two episodes left. Darryl?
Spoiler:
He was talking about leaving with the two star-crossed lovers
Can the show survive without Darryl?
paco74

Postby Buc2 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:57 am

paco74 wrote:I think that is the general consensus. The story has gotten better. I think everyone loves "little ass kicker" and I know I like the new and improved Eugene. I feel a death coming tho. There is a special cast member who is coming on Talking Dead next week. We all know how that always works out...especially since there are only two episodes left. Darryl?
Spoiler:
He was talking about leaving with the two star-crossed lovers
Can the show survive without Darryl?

Can the show survive without Darryl? Sure it can. They've already proven they can survive with the loss of major, well-liked, characters. Darryl will be no different. This is a show where people die, move on. The audience (us) are used to it and even expect it.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby PetePierson » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:20 am

They went 1 or 2 seasons where Daryl had 2 or fewer pages of lines. They are finally developing the character whom is not in the novels. If anyone, it is Michonne considering the actress’s popularity in movies and theatre. Then they let Negan out and he raises Judith. Btw, that little girl is an amazing actress considering her age.
PetePierson

Postby Jimmy McGill » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:32 pm

The show got better when Angela Kang took over as showrunner.
Jimmy McGill

Postby Buc2 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:41 am

Jimmy McGill wrote:The show got better when Angela Kang took over as showrunner.

Hmm... I hadn't thought of that. Interesting take.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby TheChefO » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:02 am

Gave up on this series long ago.

Is it still a soap opera with zombies?
TheChefO

Postby Buc2 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:03 am

TheChefO wrote:Gave up on this series long ago.

In the sense that it is a serial series? Yes.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby PetePierson » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:34 am

Good thing you clicked on the thread.

Guess Soap Opera with dragons is so much more compelling.
PetePierson

Postby Buc2 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:53 am

PetePierson wrote:

Exactly. If he's defining any series that has a continuous story line (serial), there are a ton of them on TV, included GoT and TWD.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby TheChefO » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:33 pm

PetePierson wrote:

Just curious if anyone else had a similar take that has followed the series closer than I have and has seen an improvement in that regard. The first episode was great. First season, the same. I think around season 3/4 it just started turn into ... well, a soap opera ... but with zombies. More focused on inter-relational issues than anything else.

Dragons, no, I don't watch that one either.

Carry on.
TheChefO

Postby Buc2 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:49 pm

Then why are you here? :?:
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby TheChefO » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:12 pm

Buc2 wrote:Then why are you here? :?:

Just curious if anyone else had a similar take that has followed the series closer than I have and has seen an improvement in that regard.
TheChefO

Postby PetePierson » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:22 pm

TheChefO wrote:
PetePierson wrote:

Just curious if anyone else had a similar take that has followed the series closer than I have and has seen an improvement in that regard. The first episode was great. First season, the same. I think around season 3/4 it just started turn into ... well, a soap opera ... but with zombies. More focused on inter-relational issues than anything else.

Carry on.

I'm a fan from prior to the television program so clearly, I'm biased. I totally agree with you that the show is 90% human relationships / sociology during apocalypse and 10% zombies. But that is what makes the concept interesting to me. What would you do / how would you react / what would you become if everything just broke down.

Not really an original concept in book or film, I know but I like it, anyway.
PetePierson

Postby Buc2 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:23 pm

PetePierson wrote:
TheChefO wrote:

Carry on.

I'm a fan from prior to the television program so clearly, I'm biased. I totally agree with you that the show is 90% human relationships / sociology during apocalypse and 10% zombies. But that is what makes the concept interesting to me. What would you do / how would you react / what would you become if everything just broke down.

Not really an original concept in book or film, I know but I like it, anyway.

As do I. Besides, how many episodes can you do of just killing zombies?
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby TheChefO » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:33 pm

What would you do / how would you react / what would you become if everything just broke down.

To me that was the 1st episode and season 1, etc. I don't want to come off as ****ing on something you guys are fans of, but to me it just dissolved into typical inter-relational issues seen everywhere else, not so much on: "What would you do / how would you react / what would you become if everything just broke down".

Did that aspect change over the seasons or ?
TheChefO

Postby Buc2 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:41 pm

Chef, you seem to be someone who cannot immerse yourself into a story. You don't emphasize with the characters or become attached (so-to-speak). You don't really come to care what happens to a character...whether it be a good or bad character. At least not for more than a couple hours. After that, you're done and want to move on to something else. Sorta like TV ADHD or something. Not that there is anything wrong with it. I'm sure there are plenty of folks the same way.

That being the case, a series like this or, pretty much any continuous storyline series, is not going to pass muster for you. It won't matter what reasons we put up for liking this series or any other serial series, you still won't understand why we like it.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby PetePierson » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:52 pm

TheChefO wrote:
What would you do / how would you react / what would you become if everything just broke down.

To me that was the 1st episode and season 1, etc. I don't want to come off as ****ing on something you guys are fans of, but to me it just dissolved into typical inter-relational issues seen everywhere else, not so much on: "What would you do / how would you react / what would you become if everything just broke down".

There were a few seasons (4 - 8) where they almost lost me, so not going to say that there hasn't been some weak episodes / writing. But then again, one of my favorite seasons was season 2 (on the farm). Back then fans were complaining that there weren't enough zombies.

Hell, even the best show on television (IMO), The Sopranos got considerably worse as the seasons went on. Only so long any production can keep getting better.

TWD is not for everyone, I get it.
PetePierson

Postby TheChefO » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:58 pm

PetePierson wrote:
TheChefO wrote:

There were a few seasons (4 - 8) where they almost lost me, so not going to say that there hasn't been some weak episodes / writing. But then again, one of my favorite seasons was season 2 (on the farm). Back then fans were complaining that there weren't enough zombies.

Hell, even the best show on television (IMO), The Sopranos got considerably worse as the seasons went on. Only so long any production can keep getting better.

TWD is not for everyone, I get it.

So as a fan of the concept and early seasons, am I reading you right in saying I should look into season 9?
TheChefO

Postby PrimeMinister » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:03 pm

The last couple pages are convincing me to give the new season a try. I gave up sometime in season 7 or 8. TWD started repeating the same storylines and it got to the point I couldn’t enjoy the show anymore. If season 9 is more like the early writing of season 1 I’m looking forward to it.
PrimeMinister

Postby Buc2 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:16 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:The last couple pages are convincing me to give the new season a try. I gave up sometime in season 7 or 8. TWD started repeating the same storylines and it got to the point I couldn’t enjoy the show anymore. If season 9 is more like the early writing of season 1 I’m looking forward to it.

I would recommend season 9. I was like Pete...they almost lost me in seasons 7 & 8. In fact, I vowed that if they didn't end the Savior bullshit in 8, I was definitely done. They did.

The thing about season 9 is this... They jumped forward 6 years in time. I think it was a brilliant move and it definitely refreshed the series. Now the only question is how long can they keep it fresh?
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Jimmy McGill » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:28 pm

Substitute the zombies with a rapidly spreading, deadly, contagious disease, then you'll appreciate what the story is really about. After taking this course at UCIrvine about five years ago, I got a whole new perspective about what this show is about.

https://ps.uci.edu/news/8289
Jimmy McGill

Postby TheChefO » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:29 pm

Buc2 wrote:Chef, you seem to be someone who cannot immerse yourself into a story. You don't emphasize with the characters or become attached (so-to-speak). You don't really come to care what happens to a character...whether it be a good or bad character. At least not for more than a couple hours. After that, you're done and want to move on to something else. Sorta like TV ADHD or something. Not that there is anything wrong with it. I'm sure there are plenty of folks the same way.

That being the case, a series like this or, pretty much any continuous storyline series, is not going to pass muster for you. It won't matter what reasons we put up for liking this series or any other serial series, you still won't understand why we like it.

Harsh.

But yeah, series television is only good if the end is written before the 1st episode is shown, IMO.

I got suckered into Lost.

Never again!
TheChefO

Postby PrimeMinister » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:33 pm

Jimmy McGill wrote:Substitute the zombies with a rapidly spreading, deadly, contagious disease, then you'll appreciate what the story is really about. After taking this course at UCIrvine about five years ago, I got a whole new perspective about what this show is about.

https://ps.uci.edu/news/8289

I’m aware of what the story is really about. The show runners have done a **** job of telling it.
PrimeMinister

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic