Last One Wins BIQUADRATE - 2020 edition

General Discussion on any Off Topic subject
post

Re: Last One Wins BIQUADRATE - 2020 edition

Postby BJJ34 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:48 am

Should I be offended I didn’t receive an invite to a wedding of a buddy who was like a best friend before he met his girl then got her pregnant and disappeared as a friend?
BJJ34
 
Posts: 1287
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:52 pm
Has thanked: 37 times
Been thanked: 34 times

Re: Last One Wins BIQUADRATE - 2020 edition

Postby Buc2 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:20 am

Caradoc wrote:
Deuce wrote:I've never heard of VAT besides discussions on this board (or possibly Reddit).


Several states have VAT's. Hawaii is one.

Personally, I think it is a horrible, horrible idea. Both from a practical standpoint (it taxes production, not consumption), and from an ethical standpoint (the point of a VAT is to hide from taxpayers how much taxes they are actually paying)

False. No states have VAT. In the case of Hawaii, they have a 4% state sales tax and localities can add up to an additional 0.5% for a max of 4.5%.
Image
Don't tread on me
User avatar
Buc2
 
Posts: 17302
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:16 pm
Location: America
Has thanked: 1986 times
Been thanked: 1054 times

Re: Last One Wins BIQUADRATE - 2020 edition

Postby Crocaneers » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:38 am

BJJ34 wrote:Should I be offended I didn’t receive an invite to a wedding of a buddy who was like a best friend before he met his girl then got her pregnant and disappeared as a friend?


Seek to understand. They may be having a small wedding, or she really doesn't like you. New wife = new life. Stuff happens

then again.. you are posting at 4AM so ..there's that
Image
User avatar
Crocaneers
 
Posts: 4116
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:44 am
Location: Virginia
Has thanked: 602 times
Been thanked: 447 times

Re: Last One Wins BIQUADRATE - 2020 edition

Postby BJJ34 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:43 am

Crocaneers wrote:
BJJ34 wrote:Should I be offended I didn’t receive an invite to a wedding of a buddy who was like a best friend before he met his girl then got her pregnant and disappeared as a friend?


Seek to understand. They may be having a small wedding, or she really doesn't like you. New wife = new life. Stuff happens

then again.. you are posting at 4AM so ..there's that

I’ve only ever met her one time and she didn’t seem to much like me. Me and the buddy were pretty close hung out everyday for a year then kinda moved on. He’s a good dude and I wish the best for him, just kinda saddened I didn’t get an invite to the wedding.
BJJ34
 
Posts: 1287
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:52 pm
Has thanked: 37 times
Been thanked: 34 times

Re: Last One Wins BIQUADRATE - 2020 edition

Postby acmillis » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:53 am

BJJ34 wrote:Should I be offended I didn’t receive an invite to a wedding of a buddy who was like a best friend before he met his girl then got her pregnant and disappeared as a friend?

Not picking on you, just saying my opinion in general:

This day is not about you, it is about them. They get to make whatever decision they want. Maybe they couldn't afford to invite a lot/any people. Either way, I don't like when people make another person/couple's day about themselves.
acmillis
 
Posts: 2277
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:05 pm
Has thanked: 37 times
Been thanked: 95 times

Re: Last One Wins BIQUADRATE - 2020 edition

Postby BJJ34 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:58 am

acmillis wrote:
BJJ34 wrote:Should I be offended I didn’t receive an invite to a wedding of a buddy who was like a best friend before he met his girl then got her pregnant and disappeared as a friend?

Not picking on you, just saying my opinion in general:

This day is not about you, it is about them. They get to make whatever decision they want. Maybe they couldn't afford to invite a lot/any people. Either way, I don't like when people make another person/couple's day about themselves.

Agree with the opinion in general. Just kind of felt like since he and I haven’t been close the last couple years, and we didn’t really have a falling out, that I’d be invited. Maybe it’s just an afterthought on the non-invite though.
BJJ34
 
Posts: 1287
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:52 pm
Has thanked: 37 times
Been thanked: 34 times

Re: Last One Wins BIQUADRATE - 2020 edition

Postby Deuce » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:58 am

Caradoc wrote:
Deuce wrote:
Two great points. Since all of my superiors will learn about this, I'm hoping that if it doesn't work out, it will serve as a kick in the pants for them to give me some more responsibility. Like I said, narrowly missed on two promotions. Those were to people with 10+ years of experience (I'm not yet to 3). I've heard through the grapevine that one was literally "we can't give the job to the guy with 2 years over the guy with 15 years."

And I'll definitely regret it if I don't go for it.


You absolutely should go for it. In any career you should always be looking for advancement. Sometimes that means taking risks. Often it means relocating. We've done that multiple times and it entails risk and sacrifice, but in the end it has paid off immensely. Not just financially, but in life experiences. It's good to leave your comfort zone. You are also right that it will definitely serve notice to your superiors.

I'm curious though, are you in a pensioned job? Odd to me that you would stay at a company that was passing you up repeatedly -- in today's business world, the fastest way to move up is typically to move to another company, unless the one you are working for is young and expanding rapidly.


It's public sector. I haven't even been here for 3 years. But by all accounts, I've done a really good job and I've gotten the normal promotions/raises on as fast a track as possible. But it's public sector, and the raises/promotions are tiny pay increases.

I applied and interviewed for two bigger promotions. The first would have been pretty crazy. Everyone in that position has much more experience (10+ years). That's the one I barely missed out on. The guy who got it has been here over 15 years. I have heard that the decision-maker said they could have given it to me instead, if I would have had 1 more year of experience. The second, I didn't even see and then was told by two different higher-ups that I needed to apply. I applied and interviewed and was again beaten out by someone with much more experience.

It's a pretty niche industry, though, or at least I feel that way. There's nowhere else I could work in Tallahassee. There are a few big companies around Florida, which seem most likely, and other than that, it'd be off to other states.
User avatar
Deuce
 
Posts: 3338
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:23 pm
Has thanked: 152 times
Been thanked: 182 times

Re: Last One Wins BIQUADRATE - 2020 edition

Postby NYBF » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:23 am

BJJ34 wrote:
acmillis wrote:Not picking on you, just saying my opinion in general:

This day is not about you, it is about them. They get to make whatever decision they want. Maybe they couldn't afford to invite a lot/any people. Either way, I don't like when people make another person/couple's day about themselves.

Agree with the opinion in general. Just kind of felt like since he and I haven’t been close the last couple years, and we didn’t really have a falling out, that I’d be invited. Maybe it’s just an afterthought on the non-invite though.


You haven't been close the last couple years - by your own words.

You haven't hung out since he met her - again, your own words.

And you thought you'd be invited to the wedding?

Weddings are ****ing expensive, regardless of how big or small it is. There usually isn't room for someone the groom hasn't seen in a couple years. And there damn sure isn't room for someone the bride doesn't like.
Image
Image
User avatar
NYBF
 
Posts: 9316
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:46 am
Has thanked: 283 times
Been thanked: 840 times

Re: Last One Wins BIQUADRATE - 2020 edition

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:32 am

NYBF wrote:
BJJ34 wrote:Agree with the opinion in general. Just kind of felt like since he and I haven’t been close the last couple years, and we didn’t really have a falling out, that I’d be invited. Maybe it’s just an afterthought on the non-invite though.


You haven't been close the last couple years - by your own words.

You haven't hung out since he met her - again, your own words.

And you thought you'd be invited to the wedding?

Weddings are ****ing expensive, regardless of how big or small it is. There usually isn't room for someone the groom hasn't seen in a couple years. And there damn sure isn't room for someone the bride doesn't like.

Bingo.. No matter the size of the wedding 99% of them come down to a 'cost per person', so the unfortunate part as the bride/groom is cutting the invite list. It's rarely personal.

Also, why would you be offended if neither of you have made an effort to maintain a relationship in the past few years? It seems you both have moved on and there hasn't been an effort from either side to maintain the friendship. It happens has you get older and your friends start to get married, then to an even greater degree once they start to have kids. It's just life and part of growing up.
Image
User avatar
DreadNaught
 
Posts: 19442
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:18 am
Has thanked: 909 times
Been thanked: 1222 times

Re: Last One Wins BIQUADRATE - 2020 edition

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:38 am

Just took our daughter to Disney for her 4th birthday. We've been on day trips to Magic Kingdom before, but never a 4-day trip like this.

Sucks becoming the 'Disney parents' I used to mock :lol: . But the look on our daughter's face makes it all worth it.

I've just never been so torn between positive and negative feelings when it comes to a vacation.
Image
User avatar
DreadNaught
 
Posts: 19442
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:18 am
Has thanked: 909 times
Been thanked: 1222 times

Re: Last One Wins BIQUADRATE - 2020 edition

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:41 am

Going to weddings for the most part is a pain in the ass. I groan aloud when I get a wedding invite.

Just last year a buddy of mine got married and asked me to be a groomsman. Whole thing, from the bachelor party, to the custom suit, to the limo/hotel, to the wedding gift from me and my girl, cost me over 5K.
real bucs fan
 
Posts: 12375
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:59 pm
Has thanked: 1439 times
Been thanked: 217 times

Re: Last One Wins BIQUADRATE - 2020 edition

Postby Buc2 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:43 pm

real bucs fan wrote:Going to weddings for the most part is a pain in the ass. I groan aloud when I get a wedding invite.

Just last year a buddy of mine got married and asked me to be a groomsman. Whole thing, from the bachelor party, to the custom suit, to the limo/hotel, to the wedding gift from me and my girl, cost me over 5K.

What the actual ****? $5K? I've been a groomsman before. Once for an out-of-town wedding. The bride/groom families took care of the accommodations for the bridal party and groomsman party. Granted, I paid for my own transportation there...but $5K? Not even close. I may have spent $800 all in including gift.
Image
Don't tread on me
User avatar
Buc2
 
Posts: 17302
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:16 pm
Location: America
Has thanked: 1986 times
Been thanked: 1054 times

Re: Last One Wins BIQUADRATE - 2020 edition

Postby Kress » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:05 pm

NYBF wrote:
BJJ34 wrote:Agree with the opinion in general. Just kind of felt like since he and I haven’t been close the last couple years, and we didn’t really have a falling out, that I’d be invited. Maybe it’s just an afterthought on the non-invite though.


You haven't been close the last couple years - by your own words.

You haven't hung out since he met her - again, your own words.

And you thought you'd be invited to the wedding?

Weddings are ****ing expensive, regardless of how big or small it is. There usually isn't room for someone the groom hasn't seen in a couple years. And there damn sure isn't room for someone the bride doesn't like.



I would add in the fact that the bride met you once, and I assume it was at least two years ago. Think about you two years ago. She may not have the greatest impression of you - just a hunch.

I would also add that her wedding is most certainly not the place for you all to get reacquainted and try to change that.
User avatar
Kress
 
Posts: 6666
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:26 pm
Location: Cunning Linguist
Has thanked: 190 times
Been thanked: 398 times

Re: Last One Wins BIQUADRATE - 2020 edition

Postby NYBF » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:06 pm

You could always just say **** it, and crash the wedding.

This is what I vote for.
Image
Image
User avatar
NYBF
 
Posts: 9316
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:46 am
Has thanked: 283 times
Been thanked: 840 times

Re: Last One Wins BIQUADRATE - 2020 edition

Postby Deuce » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:19 pm

Buc2 wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:Going to weddings for the most part is a pain in the ass. I groan aloud when I get a wedding invite.

Just last year a buddy of mine got married and asked me to be a groomsman. Whole thing, from the bachelor party, to the custom suit, to the limo/hotel, to the wedding gift from me and my girl, cost me over 5K.

What the actual ****? $5K? I've been a groomsman before. Once for an out-of-town wedding. The bride/groom families took care of the accommodations for the bridal party and groomsman party. Granted, I paid for my own transportation there...but $5K? Not even close. I may have spent $800 all in including gift.


Yeah, 5k is an insane waste of money. Me and the gf have each done it a few times and even when he had to get flights, we didn't spend anything near 5k. I don't think it's ever been over a few hundred.

I like going to weddings. You basically pay cash or donate a gift to attend what's usually a pretty good party.
User avatar
Deuce
 
Posts: 3338
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:23 pm
Has thanked: 152 times
Been thanked: 182 times

Re: Last One Wins BIQUADRATE - 2020 edition

Postby NYBF » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:46 pm

That's 5k Canadian, not real money.
Image
Image
User avatar
NYBF
 
Posts: 9316
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:46 am
Has thanked: 283 times
Been thanked: 840 times

Re: Last One Wins BIQUADRATE - 2020 edition

Postby Caradoc » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:48 pm

BJJ34 wrote:
Crocaneers wrote:
Seek to understand. They may be having a small wedding, or she really doesn't like you. New wife = new life. Stuff happens

then again.. you are posting at 4AM so ..there's that

I’ve only ever met her one time and she didn’t seem to much like me. Me and the buddy were pretty close hung out everyday for a year then kinda moved on. He’s a good dude and I wish the best for him, just kinda saddened I didn’t get an invite to the wedding.


Sorry to break it to you, but he's just not that into you. Move on. :D
Last edited by Caradoc on Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caradoc
 
Posts: 8130
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:30 pm
Has thanked: 523 times
Been thanked: 299 times

Re: Last One Wins BIQUADRATE - 2020 edition

Postby Deuce » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:51 pm

NYBF wrote:That's 5k Canadian, not real money.


lol great point. I visited Toronto last year and I really got into the mindset that everything was basically free due to the exchange rate.
User avatar
Deuce
 
Posts: 3338
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:23 pm
Has thanked: 152 times
Been thanked: 182 times

Re: Last One Wins BIQUADRATE - 2020 edition

Postby Caradoc » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:52 pm

Buc2 wrote:
Caradoc wrote:
Several states have VAT's. Hawaii is one.

Personally, I think it is a horrible, horrible idea. Both from a practical standpoint (it taxes production, not consumption), and from an ethical standpoint (the point of a VAT is to hide from taxpayers how much taxes they are actually paying)

False. No states have VAT. In the case of Hawaii, they have a 4% state sales tax and localities can add up to an additional 0.5% for a max of 4.5%.


I could have sworn Hawaii had a VAT. Must have been a ballot thing or something because there was a lot of talk about it. I also thought Vermont had one. Any which way, it's a stupid way to tax.
Caradoc
 
Posts: 8130
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:30 pm
Has thanked: 523 times
Been thanked: 299 times

Re: Last One Wins BIQUADRATE - 2020 edition

Postby BJJ34 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:00 pm

You guys swayed me, I’m acting like a little bitch about it. Just never been to a wedding lol.
BJJ34
 
Posts: 1287
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:52 pm
Has thanked: 37 times
Been thanked: 34 times

Re: Last One Wins BIQUADRATE - 2020 edition

Postby bucfanclw » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:08 pm

NYBF wrote:You could always just say **** it, and crash the wedding.

This is what I vote for.

Seconded. Although I would add to make sure he knows you're pissed you didn't get invited during the reception. Really push the issue. Make a scene to let him know how disappointed you are. Then, before the bride can have you removed, offer to hug it out with the groom. You know, to let him know you're still bros.
User avatar
bucfanclw
 
Posts: 7161
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:09 pm
Location: I'm told Clewiston
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 400 times

Re: Last One Wins BIQUADRATE - 2020 edition

Postby Deuce » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:10 pm

BJJ34 wrote:You guys swayed me, I’m acting like a little bitch about it. Just never been to a wedding lol.


Do you know other people who are going? Your only option is to contact some of them and convince one to take you as their +1.
User avatar
Deuce
 
Posts: 3338
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:23 pm
Has thanked: 152 times
Been thanked: 182 times

Re: Last One Wins BIQUADRATE - 2020 edition

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:47 pm

If anyone is in the mood for a stats puzzler (like I used to occasionally ask)...here is one I just posted on my on-line course...it's a very long read. Try to work out the answer before going to Wikipedia

Spoiler:
PUZZLER - The Saint Petersburg Paradox

In units 1 and 2, we talked about expected values. An expected value is the long-run value that is attached to the outcome of a stochastic process (a process that involved chance). So let's imagine a game where you pick out a random notecard from a hat with a number written on the back of it between 1 and 10 (inclusive) - there are 10 notecards in the hat, each with a different number. If it is an even number you win $1. If it is an odd number, you win nothing. What is the expected value of the game? To find this, we simply multiply each outcome by the probability of each outcome. In this case E(X) = .5*1 +.5*0 = $.50. Since the expected value is 50 cents, a "rational" person should be willing to pay up to 50 cents to play the game. Sound reasonable? Most games have negative expected values -- for example, most slot machines have an expected value of about negative ten cents. That means in the long run, for every one dollar they take in, they pay back only 90 cents -- that's why Las Vegas is sooooo shiny and nice!

OK - so now to the St Petersburg problem...back in the 16th and 17th centuries when what we call "probability" was first being studied, folks like Leibniz and Pascal (remember those names from Philosophy class?) were trying to understand this idea of "expectation" (also -- isn't it interesting that probability is such a relatively new idea?). Well they tried to devise a bunch of different problems to understand the concept. A problem that arose based on their early work was called the St Petersburg Paradox -- the problem was formulated in 1713 by Nicolas Bernouilli, the cousin of Daniel Bournelli, the famous mathematician and physicist. Finally, I get to the problem (description borrowed from Wikipedia).....

A casino offers a game of chance for a single player in which a fair coin is tossed at each stage. The initial stake begins at 2 dollars and is doubled every time heads appears. The first time tails appears, the game ends and the player wins whatever is in the pot. Thus the player wins 2 dollars if tails appears on the first toss, 4 dollars if heads appears on the first toss and tails on the second, 8 dollars if heads appears on the first two tosses and tails on the third, and so on.

The question is -- how much should a rational person be willing to pay to play this game? (in other words, what is the expected value of the outcome of this game)
User avatar
Zarniwoop
 
Posts: 13159
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm
Has thanked: 1422 times
Been thanked: 1072 times

Re: Last One Wins BIQUADRATE - 2020 edition

Postby bucfanclw » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:13 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:If anyone is in the mood for a stats puzzler (like I used to occasionally ask)...here is one I just posted on my on-line course...it's a very long read. Try to work out the answer before going to Wikipedia

Spoiler:
PUZZLER - The Saint Petersburg Paradox

In units 1 and 2, we talked about expected values. An expected value is the long-run value that is attached to the outcome of a stochastic process (a process that involved chance). So let's imagine a game where you pick out a random notecard from a hat with a number written on the back of it between 1 and 10 (inclusive) - there are 10 notecards in the hat, each with a different number. If it is an even number you win $1. If it is an odd number, you win nothing. What is the expected value of the game? To find this, we simply multiply each outcome by the probability of each outcome. In this case E(X) = .5*1 +.5*0 = $.50. Since the expected value is 50 cents, a "rational" person should be willing to pay up to 50 cents to play the game. Sound reasonable? Most games have negative expected values -- for example, most slot machines have an expected value of about negative ten cents. That means in the long run, for every one dollar they take in, they pay back only 90 cents -- that's why Las Vegas is sooooo shiny and nice!

OK - so now to the St Petersburg problem...back in the 16th and 17th centuries when what we call "probability" was first being studied, folks like Leibniz and Pascal (remember those names from Philosophy class?) were trying to understand this idea of "expectation" (also -- isn't it interesting that probability is such a relatively new idea?). Well they tried to devise a bunch of different problems to understand the concept. A problem that arose based on their early work was called the St Petersburg Paradox -- the problem was formulated in 1713 by Nicolas Bernouilli, the cousin of Daniel Bournelli, the famous mathematician and physicist. Finally, I get to the problem (description borrowed from Wikipedia).....

A casino offers a game of chance for a single player in which a fair coin is tossed at each stage. The initial stake begins at 2 dollars and is doubled every time heads appears. The first time tails appears, the game ends and the player wins whatever is in the pot. Thus the player wins 2 dollars if tails appears on the first toss, 4 dollars if heads appears on the first toss and tails on the second, 8 dollars if heads appears on the first two tosses and tails on the third, and so on.

The question is -- how much should a rational person be willing to pay to play this game? (in other words, what is the expected value of the outcome of this game)

Theoretically infinite since while your earnings double each step, your percent chance divides by 2. That would mean your expected value would be 2*n, if I'm thinking about this correctly on a Friday afternoon.
User avatar
bucfanclw
 
Posts: 7161
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:09 pm
Location: I'm told Clewiston
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 400 times

Re: Last One Wins BIQUADRATE - 2020 edition

Postby PanteraCanes » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:28 pm

BJJ34 wrote:You guys swayed me, I’m acting like a little bitch about it. Just never been to a wedding lol.



You don't really want to go to one. It is one of those things you think is a life experience, then you go to one and sit for hours all dressed up. Though if you really want to go to one then you might have to make some changes to yourself to make such things happen.
User avatar
PanteraCanes
 
Posts: 1802
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:48 pm
Has thanked: 99 times
Been thanked: 176 times

Re: Last One Wins BIQUADRATE - 2020 edition

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:29 pm

Buc2 wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:Going to weddings for the most part is a pain in the ass. I groan aloud when I get a wedding invite.

Just last year a buddy of mine got married and asked me to be a groomsman. Whole thing, from the bachelor party, to the custom suit, to the limo/hotel, to the wedding gift from me and my girl, cost me over 5K.

What the actual ****? $5K? I've been a groomsman before. Once for an out-of-town wedding. The bride/groom families took care of the accommodations for the bridal party and groomsman party. Granted, I paid for my own transportation there...but $5K? Not even close. I may have spent $800 all in including gift.

Full disclosure, my girl and I have a deal where she pays for her friends stuff and I pay for my friends stuff. It was about 90 minutes out of town, so booked a hotel for two nights and had to go out for every meal which I am including in the 5k market. And as NY said, 5K Canadian is prolly 3.75K American.

It was particularly annoying because like with BJJ this was a guy who went AWOL after shacking up with his broad so I had hardly seen him for the couple of years prior. Out of the blue he calls me up and asked if I’d be a groomsman. I say I’d be honored. Then I had to buy a matching suit, he had some elaborate bachelor party planned, yada yada 5K+. :/
real bucs fan
 
Posts: 12375
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:59 pm
Has thanked: 1439 times
Been thanked: 217 times

Re: Last One Wins BIQUADRATE - 2020 edition

Postby BJJ34 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:46 pm

Deuce wrote:
BJJ34 wrote:You guys swayed me, I’m acting like a little bitch about it. Just never been to a wedding lol.


Do you know other people who are going? Your only option is to contact some of them and convince one to take you as their +1.

It’s a small town, and I honestly have no idea who’s going. Just keep seeing all this “omg wedding stuff” on Facebook and I’ve not received an invitation.

As for making changes to myself, I’m a toothless lunatic. Not much you can change.
BJJ34
 
Posts: 1287
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:52 pm
Has thanked: 37 times
Been thanked: 34 times

Re: Last One Wins BIQUADRATE - 2020 edition

Postby PrimeMinister » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:33 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
Buc2 wrote:What the actual ****? $5K? I've been a groomsman before. Once for an out-of-town wedding. The bride/groom families took care of the accommodations for the bridal party and groomsman party. Granted, I paid for my own transportation there...but $5K? Not even close. I may have spent $800 all in including gift.

Full disclosure, my girl and I have a deal where she pays for her friends stuff and I pay for my friends stuff. It was about 90 minutes out of town, so booked a hotel for two nights and had to go out for every meal which I am including in the 5k market. And as NY said, 5K Canadian is prolly 3.75K American.

It was particularly annoying because like with BJJ this was a guy who went AWOL after shacking up with his broad so I had hardly seen him for the couple of years prior. Out of the blue he calls me up and asked if I’d be a groomsman. I say I’d be honored. Then I had to buy a matching suit, he had some elaborate bachelor party planned, yada yada 5K+. :/


No ****ing way I’m spending $5K on someone else’s wedding. Unless it’s my daughter. Your friend is an ***hole for making you spend so much and you’re a dumbass for doing it.

/My unwanted opinion.
PrimeMinister
 
Posts: 12394
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:34 am
Has thanked: 36 times
Been thanked: 527 times

Re: Last One Wins BIQUADRATE - 2020 edition

Postby TheChefO » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:09 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:Full disclosure, my girl and I have a deal where she pays for her friends stuff and I pay for my friends stuff. It was about 90 minutes out of town, so booked a hotel for two nights and had to go out for every meal which I am including in the 5k market. And as NY said, 5K Canadian is prolly 3.75K American.

It was particularly annoying because like with BJJ this was a guy who went AWOL after shacking up with his broad so I had hardly seen him for the couple of years prior. Out of the blue he calls me up and asked if I’d be a groomsman. I say I’d be honored. Then I had to buy a matching suit, he had some elaborate bachelor party planned, yada yada 5K+. :/


No ****ing way I’m spending $5K on someone else’s wedding. Unless it’s my daughter. Your friend is an ***hole for making you spend so much and you’re a dumbass for doing it.

/My unwanted opinion.


:lol:

I was thinking the same thing ... wife and I (I) did most of the heavy lifting on ours, layup from mother-in-law ... other than that, everyone invited got a nice free meal, entertainment, photos etc, gratis. Some gave gifts, but most our friends/family were cheap and/or broke ...
TheChefO
 
Posts: 6523
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:46 am
Has thanked: 2079 times
Been thanked: 370 times

Re: Last One Wins BIQUADRATE - 2020 edition

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:55 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:Full disclosure, my girl and I have a deal where she pays for her friends stuff and I pay for my friends stuff. It was about 90 minutes out of town, so booked a hotel for two nights and had to go out for every meal which I am including in the 5k market. And as NY said, 5K Canadian is prolly 3.75K American.

It was particularly annoying because like with BJJ this was a guy who went AWOL after shacking up with his broad so I had hardly seen him for the couple of years prior. Out of the blue he calls me up and asked if I’d be a groomsman. I say I’d be honored. Then I had to buy a matching suit, he had some elaborate bachelor party planned, yada yada 5K+. :/


No ****ing way I’m spending $5K on someone else’s wedding. Unless it’s my daughter. Your friend is an ***hole for making you spend so much and you’re a dumbass for doing it.

/My unwanted opinion.

I def would have said no if I could do over lol

A couple of the other groomsmen are big time ballers so I didn’t want to be the cheap one... but ya.
real bucs fan
 
Posts: 12375
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:59 pm
Has thanked: 1439 times
Been thanked: 217 times

PreviousNext

post

Return to Off Topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 12 guests