Last One Wins BIQUADRATE - 2020 edition

General Discussion on any Off Topic subject
Re: Last One Wins BIQUADRATE - 2020 edition

Postby NYBF » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:32 am

beardmcdoug wrote:
Buc2 wrote:Let me know how giddy they are the first time we get about a foot of snow and they can't get out of the house. :lol:

:shock: it begins....

Hopefully you're in the purple. We had a storm probably a month ago. At least an inch of ice to start, and then over half a foot of snow. The ice fucked everything up and caused a lot of damage. **** ice. I'd rather have the foot of snow than ice plus snow.
NYBF

Postby beardmcdoug » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:05 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
beardmcdoug wrote:

:shock: it begins....

Our winter in Tampa just ended. It's 80 degrees today and will be all weekend.

I may jump in the pool while I'm watching football and smoking some brisket this Sunday if it stays sunny enough throughout the weekend. :birdiedoublegreen:

:buttmoon:
beardmcdoug

Postby Buc2 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:16 pm

DreadNaught wrote:Our winter in Tampa just ended. It's 80 degrees today and will be all weekend.

I may jump in the pool while I'm watching football and smoking some brisket this Sunday if it stays sunny enough throughout the weekend. :birdiedoublegreen:

It's supposed to be in the 60's here in central VA this weekend. :D
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Kress » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:54 pm

IchabodCrane84 wrote:There was a line in that American Hustle movie that really resonated with me.

It went something along the lines of a counterfeiter has to recreate the work of the artist to exact detail of the original so that no one is able to tell. Which one do you think is the better artist?

For whatever reason that made me go, well... Hmmmm.

Different aspects of art: The creative part and the technical part. The original artist is doing both. The counterfeiter is just a technician. Likely a master technician, but still just that.
Kress

Postby PanteraCanes » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:38 pm

Deuce wrote:
Kress wrote:Your question is why it also drives me crazy when you go someplace and you see tourists walking around looking at everything through the screen of their video recorder. They're more concerned with taping it than experiencing it. Stupid.

Yep. I'm notoriously bad at coming back from vacations with like...a handful of pictures. I hate when people take them at aquariums and stuff. Looking at a whale shark in-person is awesome. You can watch a video or look at a picture of a whale shark online anytime. I'd bet that they never go back and look at those photos. If they do, it's probably once.

I would take a picture with a player 10 times out of 10 over a signature, though. I think that's pretty cool because it's normal for friends or family who get together to take pics. As I get older, it seems silly to ask someone around my age for their signature.

I'm not a huge art guy, either, though. It would be cool to see some famous originals but it wouldn't be a must-do thing on my list or anything.

One time in the late 90s I saw Roger Staubach in a dinner in New Jersey just south of New York. I went up and got an autograph from him. He was really nice about it even though he was there with people talking about some kind of business I assume. I have no idea where the autograph is at this point. Though I have long regretted doing that to him. Everyone in the place was turning around and looking and talking about him quietly.
PanteraCanes

Postby Nano » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:30 pm

Buc2 wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:Our winter in Tampa just ended. It's 80 degrees today and will be all weekend.

It's supposed to be in the 60's here in central VA this weekend. :D

I don't think it'll get below 60 here(north of Tampa)for another 10 days lol
Nano

Postby Buc2 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:37 pm

PanteraCanes wrote:
Deuce wrote:
Yep. I'm notoriously bad at coming back from vacations with like...a handful of pictures. I hate when people take them at aquariums and stuff. Looking at a whale shark in-person is awesome. You can watch a video or look at a picture of a whale shark online anytime. I'd bet that they never go back and look at those photos. If they do, it's probably once.

I would take a picture with a player 10 times out of 10 over a signature, though. I think that's pretty cool because it's normal for friends or family who get together to take pics. As I get older, it seems silly to ask someone around my age for their signature.

I'm not a huge art guy, either, though. It would be cool to see some famous originals but it wouldn't be a must-do thing on my list or anything.

One time in the late 90s I saw Roger Staubach in a dinner in New Jersey just south of New York. I went up and got an autograph from him. He was really nice about it even though he was there with people talking about some kind of business I assume. I have no idea where the autograph is at this point. Though I have long regretted doing that to him. Everyone in the place was turning around and looking and talking about him quietly.

I got an autograph from Evil Knievel back in 1973, I think, before a jump he did in Cincinnati Gardens Arena. He was signing autographs for fans outside of his RV in the parking lot before the show. I still have it somewhere.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby BJJ34 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:44 am

Is it mean to say a guy needed subtitles?
BJJ34

Postby Kress » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:05 pm

Extremely. You should be ashamed of yourself.

100 lashes self-flagellation, and tattoo an inverted Pikachu Pokemon on your tongue as a constant reminder of what you spoke.
Kress

Postby Nano » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:50 am

Semester started today. Time went by fast last year and I'm already a sophomore. Also, finally reached Calculus, only took 4 math classes lol.

Might turn Met into a minor and go the CS route. Seems like more weather jobs actually hire that way. Plus, a CS degree is better overall on the job market and I like to code.
Nano

Postby deltbucs » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:54 am

Nano wrote:Semester started today. Time went by fast last year and I'm already a sophomore. Also, finally reached Calculus, only took 4 math classes lol.

Might turn Met into a minor and go the CS route. Seems like more weather jobs actually hire that way. Plus, a CS degree is better overall on the job market and I like to code.

Feel free to reach out if you have any questions or anything on the coding side. Been in IT for pretty much the last 20 years, but pivoted over to doing programming full time about a year ago.
deltbucs

Postby BJJ34 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:51 am

Finally getting my notary commission started this morning, but fighting this sickness though and am coughing every third minute. Can’t miss this class though as it’s taken 9 months at work to get this class.
BJJ34

Postby PanteraCanes » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:36 am

Nano wrote:Semester started today. Time went by fast last year and I'm already a sophomore. Also, finally reached Calculus, only took 4 math classes lol.

Do internships. A degree is nice, but the experience and connections really helps get you that first job.
PanteraCanes

Postby beardmcdoug » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:55 am

PanteraCanes wrote:

Do internships. A degree is nice, but the experience and connections really helps get you that first job.

+1 million to this, nano

interning and making connections are equally valuable, in terms of actually landing a job, as your degree is. I cannot stress this enough.
beardmcdoug

Postby real bucs fan » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:45 am

The key to succeeding as a weather person is a great set of breasts.
real bucs fan

Postby PrimeMinister » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:20 pm

MJW wrote:Question I've been mulling over:

There are two paintings. One is a priceless masterpiece crafted by one of the greatest masters ever to pick up a brush. The other one is a copy of the first one, indistinguishable all the way down to the microscopic level - but not created by anyone of note (perhaps even made by a machine - doesn't matter.)

What's the difference? I mean, I know what the FUNDAMENTAL difference is. But if the second one hung in a museum, and was enjoyed by patrons who were later informed it wasn't genuine, should that change their perception of the experience? Would it change YOURS? If so, why? If not, do museums actually have any intrinsic value when we can google the same painting on our phones?

(This line of thought also applies to autographs, I would think.)

MJW, I like this question.

My answer is yes it would change my perception and my reasoning is simple: the human experience. When we look at great original artwork part of the attraction is the experience of the human being who created the work. This is why we want to know the story behind the work, the artist’s struggles etc. This reason is also why visiting the location of the Battle at Gettysburg or Dr. King’s March to Selma or owning Ronde Barber’s game worn jersey when he shut down the vet...this is why all of these matter.

The human experience. We know the story behind the moment these items or these locations were part of something great. By visiting, owning or viewing we take part in that human experience even across time and space.

That’s my answer for why it matters.
PrimeMinister

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:57 pm

The painting isn't the art, the artist painting it is.

This is why Jackson Pollack was a hack. Any damned fool can lay a canvas on the floor and spill paint on it while getting drunk. There's no effort, talent, technique, or meaning to it at all. His "works" have value only because some rich ***hole decided it did.

I have an Escher print in my mancave, I have no issue at all that its not an original because when I look at it, it looks exactly the same as if it were. Escher sitting down and drawing it was the work of art. The picture is simply the result of that work.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:15 pm

I love this topic because my daughter is an artist and we talk about this regularly.

Symphonies across the world can play Beethoven's 5th with absolute precision and arguably better than Beethoven's own symphony did.

Ludwig sitting his deaf ass down and writing that **** out of his own head is what makes it art. The London Philharmonic can expertly perform it, but they can't write it.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby TheChefO » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:03 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:The painting isn't the art, the artist painting it is.

This is why Jackson Pollack was a hack. Any damned fool can lay a canvas on the floor and spill paint on it while getting drunk. There's no effort, talent, technique, or meaning to it at all. His "works" have value only because some rich ***hole decided it did.

I have an Escher print in my mancave, I have no issue at all that its not an original because when I look at it, it looks exactly the same as if it were. Escher sitting down and drawing it was the work of art. The picture is simply the result of that work.

Jackson Pollack and others like him didn't create a new genre, but they did create a legitimate avenue for money laundering which is far more useful and impactful today.
TheChefO

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:22 pm

TheChefO wrote:

Jackson Pollack and others like him didn't create a new genre, but they did create a legitimate avenue for money laundering which is far more useful and impactful today.

Yep. Its a racket. Gordon Gekko talks about it in Wall Street.

Those paintings get insured for absurd amounts of money only to be inexplicably stolen later.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby deltbucs » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:44 pm

deltbucs

Postby BJJ34 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:23 pm

Pierre Despereaux(one of you has to be a psycho too) would love to comment.
BJJ34

Postby MJW » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:10 am

SCHOOL IS CLOSED HERE IN THE NORTH YOU STUPID FLORIDA YAHOOS
MJW

Postby MJW » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:12 am

Holy crap, MB just gave me a new way to think about things.

(I mean that in the, "thank you, that's cool" sense and not the "MB usually says dumb things" sense)
MJW

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:33 am

MJW wrote:

(I mean that in the, "thank you, that's cool" sense and not the "MB usually says dumb things" sense)

I stole it from Christopher Walken.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby NYBF » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:49 am

MJW wrote:

NYBF

Postby BJJ34 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:15 am

What the **** are dreams? Someone explain like I’m a ****ing moron why we dream. I’ve been having some really bizarre dreams and have been trying to figure out why I even dream to begin with(I shouldn’t I smoke THC).
BJJ34

Postby Buc2 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:35 am

BJJ34 wrote:What the **** are dreams? Someone explain like I’m a ****ing moron why we dream. I’ve been having some really bizarre dreams and have been trying to figure out why I even dream to begin with(I shouldn’t I smoke THC).

The role of dreams
Researchers still don’t entirely agree on the purpose of dreams. There are, however, some widely held beliefs and theories.

Dreams as therapists
Your dreams may be ways of confronting emotional dramas in your life. And because your brain is operating at a much more emotional level than when you’re awake, your brain may make connections regarding your feelings that your conscious self wouldn’t make.

Dreams as fight-or-flight training
One of the areas of the brain that’s most active during dreaming is the amygdala. The amygdala is the part of the brain associated with the survival instinct and the fight-or-flight response.

One theory suggests that because the amygdala is more active during sleep than in your waking life, it may be the brain’s way of getting you ready to deal with a threat.

Fortunately, the brainstem sends out nerve signals during REM sleep that relax your muscles. That way you don’t try to run or punch in your sleep.

Dreams as your muse
One theory for why we dream is that it helps facilitate our creative tendencies. Artists of all kinds credit dreams with inspiring some of their most creative work. You may have awakened at times in your life with a great idea for a movie or a song, too.

Without the logic filter you might normally use in your waking life that can restrict your creative flow, your thoughts and ideas have no restrictions when you’re sleeping.

Dreams as memory aides
One widely held theory about the purpose of dreams is that they help you store important memories and things you’ve learned, get rid of unimportant memories, and sort through complicated thoughts and feelings.

Research showsTrusted Source that sleep helps store memories. If you learn new information and sleep on it, you’ll be able to recall it better than if asked to remember that information without the benefit of sleep.

How dreams affect memory storage and recall isn’t clearly understood yet. But dreams may help the brain more efficiently store important information while blocking out stimuli that could interfere with memory and learning.

Why do we have nightmares?
Dreams that help you deal productively with emotions, memories, and other information may seem very helpful. The occasional nightmare is considered a dream that’s simply more frightening or upsetting. Nightmares tend to be caused by stress, anxiety, or sometimes as a reaction to certain medications.

However, if you have nightmares frequently, you could have a sleeping disorder. Regularly occurring scary dreams can be labeled a sleeping disorder if the nightmares:
* cause you to be anxious about going to sleep
* lead to frequent disruptions of your sleep
* bring about other sleeping or psychological problems

Many people experience occasional nightmares throughout their lives. However, the American Sleep Association estimates only about 5 percent of the population experiences persistent nightmares as a sleeping disorder.

Thanks, Google.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:48 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
MJW wrote:

I stole it from Christopher Walken.

He said something to that effect in The Family Fang with Justin Bateman and Nicole Kidman.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Rocker » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:02 pm

Made some pretty awesome BBQ chicken today... and had to pair it with steamer bag broccoli, because my oldest kid turned off the stewed apples I had been working on for quite a while. Kids are frustrating.
Rocker

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic