** Official TV Show Thread **

General Discussion on any Off Topic subject
post

Re: ** Official TV Show Thread **

Postby BJJ34 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:06 pm

The Morning Show on AppleTV. Semi compelling with big name actors.
BJJ34
 
Posts: 814
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:52 pm
Has thanked: 37 times
Been thanked: 23 times

Re: ** Official TV Show Thread **

Postby MJW » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:41 pm

BJJ34 wrote:The Morning Show on AppleTV. Semi compelling with big name actors.


Apple TV trying to go head to head with Disney+ is going to go down as one of the great moments in billion dollar corporate mistakes. I've seen a couple of promising programs but most of it has sucked, and none of it is remotely interesting enough to sign on for.
Image
User avatar
MJW
 
Posts: 12571
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:17 am
Has thanked: 296 times
Been thanked: 739 times

Re: ** Official TV Show Thread **

Postby uscbucsfan » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:09 pm

Apple tried to go at Amazon/Google with home voice assistant and failed, too.

Disney had 10 million subscribers in the first 2 days...Netflix has almost 200 million.

Apple hopes to hit 9 mil by 2020.
User avatar
uscbucsfan
 
Posts: 9983
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:21 pm
Has thanked: 242 times
Been thanked: 460 times

Re: ** Official TV Show Thread **

Postby Snake » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:41 pm

There’s a saturation point with these subscription services and we’re looking at it.
Image
Snake
 
Posts: 4298
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:38 pm
Has thanked: 326 times
Been thanked: 123 times

Re: ** Official TV Show Thread **

Postby PrimeMinister » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:45 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:Apple tried to go at Amazon/Google with home voice assistant and failed, too.

Disney had 10 million subscribers in the first 2 days...Netflix has almost 200 million.

Apple hopes to hit 9 mil by 2020.


Netflix will survive the onslaught of new services and the Disney juggernaut. Disney will end up the second best streaming service when you add in Hulu.

Amazon will always be #3 as long as their streaming service is an add on to their shipping service.

Everyone else is too late to the party for it to matter.
PrimeMinister
 
Posts: 11603
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:34 am
Has thanked: 36 times
Been thanked: 453 times

Re: ** Official TV Show Thread **

Postby BJJ34 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:04 pm

Honestly, The Morning Show has its moments. I watched the 5 episodes of it out this far. It’s got some stuff not many have touched on like the Lauer scandal behind the scenes. It’s got Carrell in breakdown form which has its highlights. Aniston playing a broken down woman isn’t what I like her as. In this role she’s a strong woman making loose decisions all through a smile to an audience. Witherspoon is good. Her role seems off though. I really dig the one producer in the show too. He’s just rooting for chaos. I’d recommend if you get a free preview or pirate. Apple is paying big name stars, just no one is noticing. I haven’t watched See yet but can’t seem to get behind a show where no one can see. Nor have I watched Mankind yet either. MJW, if it wasn’t free I’d have never watched but am glad I did.

I have every subscription other than Prime now. Recently ramped up and got Hulu because of Sunny and other shows. I honestly prefer Hulu’s show selections. Netflix has more originals, I just have only watched Daybreak and the Ranch. Lucifer too but that’s fox originally.
BJJ34
 
Posts: 814
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:52 pm
Has thanked: 37 times
Been thanked: 23 times

Re: ** Official TV Show Thread **

Postby uscbucsfan » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:43 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:Apple tried to go at Amazon/Google with home voice assistant and failed, too.

Disney had 10 million subscribers in the first 2 days...Netflix has almost 200 million.

Apple hopes to hit 9 mil by 2020.


Netflix will survive the onslaught of new services and the Disney juggernaut. Disney will end up the second best streaming service when you add in Hulu.

Amazon will always be #3 as long as their streaming service is an add on to their shipping service.

Everyone else is too late to the party for it to matter.

Netflix is like 8 billion in debt and pays Amazon 50 million per month.

I'm not sure they will make it. I think they are trying to sell.

Edit: unless Apple buys them, they have no shot.

Disney plus, Netflix, Hulu, and Apple Tv use Amazon AWS for storage. Amazon wins regardless.
User avatar
uscbucsfan
 
Posts: 9983
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:21 pm
Has thanked: 242 times
Been thanked: 460 times

Re: ** Official TV Show Thread **

Postby BJJ34 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:26 pm

I could totally get behind Apple buying Netflix. That would be ideal.
BJJ34
 
Posts: 814
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:52 pm
Has thanked: 37 times
Been thanked: 23 times

Re: ** Official TV Show Thread **

Postby Teitan » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:50 am

It’s amazing that something like Netflix can be that in debt.


Netflix will reign supreme. They simply have better original content right now. The trouble they will be in is when they lose right to movies or shows that all their competitors are keeping for their own service. We already saw it with the Marvel stuff.

If Disney can churn out more series that are as high quality as The Mandalorian they will be in good shape. I know they have some Marvel shows in the pipe line, but I hope they come up with some original content too.
User avatar
Teitan
 
Posts: 6059
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:07 pm
Has thanked: 302 times
Been thanked: 263 times

Re: ** Official TV Show Thread **

Postby BJJ34 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:37 pm

Started The End of the ****ing World on Netflix. Some really dull moments, but for a Brit show it’s not bad. Really compelling serial killer stuff in the first few episodes.
BJJ34
 
Posts: 814
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:52 pm
Has thanked: 37 times
Been thanked: 23 times

Re: ** Official TV Show Thread **

Postby bucfanclw » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:13 pm

Teitan wrote:It’s amazing that something like Netflix can be that in debt.


Netflix will reign supreme. They simply have better original content right now. The trouble they will be in is when they lose right to movies or shows that all their competitors are keeping for their own service. We already saw it with the Marvel stuff.

If Disney can churn out more series that are as high quality as The Mandalorian they will be in good shape. I know they have some Marvel shows in the pipe line, but I hope they come up with some original content too.

Netflix has become a big budget production house that doesn't monetize through theater/BD/Digital sales or commercial insert... I can't imagine they WOULDN'T be in debt at this point.
User avatar
bucfanclw
 
Posts: 6600
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:09 pm
Location: I'm told Clewiston
Has thanked: 35 times
Been thanked: 360 times

Re: ** Official TV Show Thread **

Postby uscbucsfan » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:24 pm

bucfanclw wrote:
Teitan wrote:It’s amazing that something like Netflix can be that in debt.


Netflix will reign supreme. They simply have better original content right now. The trouble they will be in is when they lose right to movies or shows that all their competitors are keeping for their own service. We already saw it with the Marvel stuff.

If Disney can churn out more series that are as high quality as The Mandalorian they will be in good shape. I know they have some Marvel shows in the pipe line, but I hope they come up with some original content too.

Netflix has become a big budget production house that doesn't monetize through theater/BD/Digital sales or commercial insert... I can't imagine they WOULDN'T be in debt at this point.

It's actually worse than I previously posted.

They are 13 billion in debt as they are spending on all of their new shows with the new competitors out there.
User avatar
uscbucsfan
 
Posts: 9983
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:21 pm
Has thanked: 242 times
Been thanked: 460 times

Re: ** Official TV Show Thread **

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:30 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
bucfanclw wrote:Netflix has become a big budget production house that doesn't monetize through theater/BD/Digital sales or commercial insert... I can't imagine they WOULDN'T be in debt at this point.

It's actually worse than I previously posted.

They are 13 billion in debt as they are spending on all of their new shows with the new competitors out there.



it's going to be interesting to see how it plays out...their balance sheet only "balances" because of an absurd amount of intangible assets.

I have no idea how their debt is structured in terms of timing and their subsequent ability to pay it off.




The P/E ratio for their stock is something like 100 to 1....so people are still willing to invest at an absurd short term premium
User avatar
Zarniwoop
 
Posts: 12744
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm
Has thanked: 1269 times
Been thanked: 949 times

Re: ** Official TV Show Thread **

Postby MJW » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:41 pm

Snake wrote:There’s a saturation point with these subscription services and we’re looking at it.


Truth.

2-3 was fine. Netflix and a couple of Netflix alternatives to motivate them.

Now there will be a culling.
Image
User avatar
MJW
 
Posts: 12571
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:17 am
Has thanked: 296 times
Been thanked: 739 times

Re: ** Official TV Show Thread **

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:44 pm

MJW wrote:
Snake wrote:There’s a saturation point with these subscription services and we’re looking at it.


Truth.

2-3 was fine. Netflix and a couple of Netflix alternatives to motivate them.

Now there will be a culling.



who was it that recently lampooned the influx of services....basically describing that people aren't cord cutting simply then to start buying 8 different bundles of services?


Right now I do Netflix and Amazon and do a Motocross/Supercross subscription. That's about as far as I'm willing to go. I will likely always have Amazon simply for the other services....I'll keep Netflix till someone has something better. But I won't be adding another service, it will be a replacement.
User avatar
Zarniwoop
 
Posts: 12744
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm
Has thanked: 1269 times
Been thanked: 949 times

Re: ** Official TV Show Thread **

Postby uscbucsfan » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:51 pm

We had another thread on it, but I like all of the choices more than regular cable. I never watched 95% of those channels. As I said before, if it gets to the point where the is an NFL and CFB app, I'd be set.

Right now I have:

Netflix
Disney+
Hulu Live (only during football season)

I usually wait for HBO to get a bunch of stuff and then get it for a month and watch all I can, which the next big thing is Curb.

I think NBC, CBS, FOX's apps will fail as I don't think people will sign up to JUST watch the Office/Friends re-runs.
User avatar
uscbucsfan
 
Posts: 9983
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:21 pm
Has thanked: 242 times
Been thanked: 460 times

Re: ** Official TV Show Thread **

Postby Deuce » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:59 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:
MJW wrote:
Truth.

2-3 was fine. Netflix and a couple of Netflix alternatives to motivate them.

Now there will be a culling.



who was it that recently lampooned the influx of services....basically describing that people aren't cord cutting simply then to start buying 8 different bundles of services?


Right now I do Netflix and Amazon and do a Motocross/Supercross subscription. That's about as far as I'm willing to go. I will likely always have Amazon simply for the other services....I'll keep Netflix till someone has something better. But I won't be adding another service, it will be a replacement.


At some point in the future, we'll reminisce about the good old days when it was just Netflix and Hulu.
User avatar
Deuce
 
Posts: 2845
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:23 pm
Has thanked: 123 times
Been thanked: 137 times

Re: ** Official TV Show Thread **

Postby Buc2 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:07 pm

I have Amazon but only because it comes with their Prime membership. I now use my Firestick 4K for everything. Last night I found an add-on that's even better than Kodi. It's called, UnlockMyTv. Worked great. Everything from movies (watched Joker last night) to all the current tv series' including Mandalorian.
Image
Don't tread on me
User avatar
Buc2
 
Posts: 16548
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:16 pm
Location: America
Has thanked: 1848 times
Been thanked: 949 times

Re: ** Official TV Show Thread **

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:23 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:We had another thread on it, but I like all of the choices more than regular cable. I never watched 95% of those channels. As I said before, if it gets to the point where the is an NFL and CFB app, I'd be set.

Right now I have:

Netflix
Disney+
Hulu Live (only during football season)

I usually wait for HBO to get a bunch of stuff and then get it for a month and watch all I can, which the next big thing is Curb.

I think NBC, CBS, FOX's apps will fail as I don't think people will sign up to JUST watch the Office/Friends re-runs.



What does Hulu live give you for football? Can you get all the NCAA games?
User avatar
Zarniwoop
 
Posts: 12744
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm
Has thanked: 1269 times
Been thanked: 949 times

Re: ** Official TV Show Thread **

Postby Buc2 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:32 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:We had another thread on it, but I like all of the choices more than regular cable. I never watched 95% of those channels. As I said before, if it gets to the point where the is an NFL and CFB app, I'd be set.

Right now I have:

Netflix
Disney+
Hulu Live (only during football season)

I usually wait for HBO to get a bunch of stuff and then get it for a month and watch all I can, which the next big thing is Curb.

I think NBC, CBS, FOX's apps will fail as I don't think people will sign up to JUST watch the Office/Friends re-runs.



What does Hulu live give you for football? Can you get all the NCAA games?

2. College Football on Hulu Live
Hulu Live is the streaming giant’s attempt at breaking into the live television streaming market with this cable TV alternative. Currently, there is only one plan available and it costs $45 a month.

Hulu Live review
Here are the relevant sports channels included in the plan:

ABC (in most areas)
CBS (in most areas)
NBC (in most areas)
FOX (in most areas)
ESPN
ESPN 2
ESPN 3 (via WatchESPN App)
ESPNU
ESPN Goal Line
ESPN College Extra
FS1
FS2
SEC Network
NBCSN
Big Ten Network (BTN)
Hulu is perhaps the most complete way to watch college football without cable. It includes many of the most important channels you’ll need to keep up, all in one package. Not only does it cover ESPN’s network of channels, but it offers NBC, FOX, CBS and ABC in most areas. While Sling and other similar services do offer these channels in some areas, nobody currently has as good of coverage as Hulu Live TV.

And while it’s more expensive than Sling TV, Hulu still offers excellent value. This is particularly true if you consider the fact that Hulu Live TV comes with the original Hulu, which is a huge on-demand library of thousands of entertainment options (similar to Netflix).


Best for sports in general (plus all the other channels of course), I've been hearing FuboTV is the best.

https://www.fubo.tv/welcome
Image
Don't tread on me
User avatar
Buc2
 
Posts: 16548
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:16 pm
Location: America
Has thanked: 1848 times
Been thanked: 949 times

Re: ** Official TV Show Thread **

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:11 pm

Thx
User avatar
Zarniwoop
 
Posts: 12744
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm
Has thanked: 1269 times
Been thanked: 949 times

Re: ** Official TV Show Thread **

Postby Buc2 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:14 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:Thx

No problem. I took today off, so I've been messing around on the internet most of the day. Figured I'd do you a solid. :lol:
Image
Don't tread on me
User avatar
Buc2
 
Posts: 16548
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:16 pm
Location: America
Has thanked: 1848 times
Been thanked: 949 times

Re: ** Official TV Show Thread **

Postby uscbucsfan » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:40 pm

$54 per month seems super steep. I'd basically add NFL Network for $14 per month.
User avatar
uscbucsfan
 
Posts: 9983
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:21 pm
Has thanked: 242 times
Been thanked: 460 times

Re: ** Official TV Show Thread **

Postby PrimeMinister » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:46 pm

Just finished Jack Ryan Season 2. It was good follow up to season 1. I could have used an extra episode, but overall it’s good.
PrimeMinister
 
Posts: 11603
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:34 am
Has thanked: 36 times
Been thanked: 453 times

Re: ** Official TV Show Thread **

Postby uscbucsfan » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:02 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:Just finished Jack Ryan Season 2. It was good follow up to season 1. I could have used an extra episode, but overall it’s good.

I was a bit disappointed with it.

I thought the writing/plot wasn't as good as the first season.

It still wasn't bad, but not something I would consider a great show.
User avatar
uscbucsfan
 
Posts: 9983
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:21 pm
Has thanked: 242 times
Been thanked: 460 times

Re: ** Official TV Show Thread **

Postby PrimeMinister » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:31 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:Just finished Jack Ryan Season 2. It was good follow up to season 1. I could have used an extra episode, but overall it’s good.

I was a bit disappointed with it.

I thought the writing/plot wasn't as good as the first season.

It still wasn't bad, but not something I would consider a great show.


That’s why I wanted an extra episode. Season 1 kept me in the edge of my seat. This season’s was confusing & less sharp than the first.
PrimeMinister
 
Posts: 11603
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:34 am
Has thanked: 36 times
Been thanked: 453 times

Re: ** Official TV Show Thread **

Postby BJJ34 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:26 pm

Netflix’s “The end of the ****ing world” is entirely compelling. Some really slow parts with dialogue, as if it were written awkwardly. The actors play their roles well and the action(albeit small) is enough to keep you hooked. The first season ends on a cliffhanger but season 2 is awesome. Lots of great imagery in the show. Use of cutbacks is well done.
BJJ34
 
Posts: 814
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:52 pm
Has thanked: 37 times
Been thanked: 23 times

Re: ** Official TV Show Thread **

Postby Snake » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:59 pm

The Mandalorian is...oof. I couldn’t even make it through 1 episode. Star Wars is generally boring but a show about some niche aspect of it is even worse.

I’m sure at some point the stoic bounty hunter will let his guard down and be vulnerable and it’ll be a BIG moment.

High production values though. Respect the investment. SW just never clicks for me.
Image
Snake
 
Posts: 4298
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:38 pm
Has thanked: 326 times
Been thanked: 123 times

Re: ** Official TV Show Thread **

Postby MJW » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:27 pm

Snake wrote:The Mandalorian is...oof. I couldn’t even make it through 1 episode. Star Wars is generally boring but a show about some niche aspect of it is even worse.

I’m sure at some point the stoic bounty hunter will let his guard down and be vulnerable and it’ll be a BIG moment.

High production values though. Respect the investment. SW just never clicks for me.


I can understand this; it is slow. The first two episodes are a "space western." A slow one.

(MINOR Spoilers)

- Wandering silent gunslinger does a job.
- Employer (APOLLO CREED!) refers him to a big fish for more work.
- Big fish (WERNER HERZOG!) gives him a seemingly small, easy job.
- Job gets complicated in ways the gunslinger couldn't have anticipated.
- And as we head to the next chapter, the gunslinger seeks answers.

If that setup hasn't been employed in at least a hundred westerns (and noirs cribbing from Westerns) I'd be shocked.
Image
User avatar
MJW
 
Posts: 12571
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:17 am
Has thanked: 296 times
Been thanked: 739 times

Re: ** Official TV Show Thread **

Postby Crocaneers » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:00 am

PrimeMinister wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:I was a bit disappointed with it.

I thought the writing/plot wasn't as good as the first season.

It still wasn't bad, but not something I would consider a great show.


That’s why I wanted an extra episode. Season 1 kept me in the edge of my seat. This season’s was confusing & less sharp than the first.


I downloaded the season for the trip ... I have tried 3 tiems to get through the first episode. I am hoping it is due to travel exhaustion and work.

It's not hitting me at all.
Image
User avatar
Crocaneers
 
Posts: 3897
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:44 am
Location: Virginia
Has thanked: 568 times
Been thanked: 408 times

PreviousNext

post

Return to Off Topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests