Last Movie You Watched?

General Discussion on any Off Topic subject
Re: Last Movie You Watched?

Postby Crocaneers » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:12 pm

Bale sold me in Vice. Thinking that hes a Brit, and seeing what he did with Chaney was really incredible.

We can also add Matthew McConaughey to the list
Crocaneers

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:13 pm

Rescue Dawn is my favorite Christian Bale film. Kudos to Steve Zahn taking on a serious role too.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Buc2 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:27 am

beardmcdoug wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:Doesn't sound like it.

I think both are great, but a step down from Pitt/DiCaprio/DDL.

I've never watched a movie where either completely convinced me they were not themselves acting to an extent. Both are compelling, have awesome movie choices, and know their range/ stick with it.

Neither are as ranged as the tier 1 people IMO. Both are still all time greats.

I really like DDL. I thought he chewed Lincoln. There Will Be Blood is my favorite movie of all time and I think he’s magnificent in that one.

Pitt is 1, and Leo and DDL are 2a/2b for me though. This is from a house that watches Legends of the Fall and A River Runs Through It a couple times a year. Pitt just extends a little further into the “real/raw” - at the right time in his career, too - than the other two, which I like. Leo has that but it was so early in his career that there’s just not the depth available. Pitt was a little older, yet still was able to show that sort of naiveness.

Denzel is RIGHT behind them for me. He’s so damn powerful. Does it get any better than Glory? And I thought he was actually damn good in that recent one Fences. But he’s always “Denzel”, which is why I put him just behind the others.

Hanks is great, just doesn’t always do it for me. He’s in a tier below Denzel, IMO.

Besides the first Pirates, I’m not really a fan of Depp. Even his earlier stuff.

There’s a group of guys like Cruise, Will Smith, Downey Jr, Pacino, and Clooney - who I always love (not as good as Denzel IMO), but who are really only ever themselves (besides Downey Jr in Tropic Thunder lmao)

Solid post.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Buc2 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:34 am

From the older generation, I've always liked Jack Nicholson, Clint Eastwood and Gene Hackman. Hackman is probably the best pure actor of those three, but all three were Hollywood Stars. The first movie I truly remember Hackman shining in was Bonnie & Clyde with Warren Beatty & Faye Dunaway.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby TheChefO » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:34 am

Buc2 wrote:From the older generation, I've always liked Jack Nicholson, Clint Eastwood and Gene Hackman. Hackman is probably the best pure actor of those three, but all three were Hollywood Stars. The first movie I truly remember Hackman shining in was Bonnie & Clyde with Warren Beatty & Faye Dunaway.

Speaking of, recently started going back watching "the greats" from yesteryear ... 30's-70's that were completely off my radar.
The writing and characters on some of these were magnificent.
TheChefO

Postby BJJ34 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:02 pm

Watched Endgame yesterday. Man a long watch with so much going on.
BJJ34

Postby terrytate » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:41 am

Zarniwoop wrote:
PetePierson wrote:I have no idea why but I dig Reign of Fire.

Me too, it’s not a very good film, but I like it

It's objectively a bad film. Yet it's watchable.
terrytate

Postby Crocaneers » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:06 pm

terrytate wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:

Me too, it’s not a very good film, but I like it

It's due to a combo of Bale and Matthew McConaughey (as stated above .. we need to add him to the list).

Gerard Butler is also strong in this
Crocaneers

Postby Nano » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:38 pm

Good Boys

Actually really enjoyed it and found it hilarious(theater did too). It's not for everyone though.
Nano

Postby Caradoc » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:38 pm

Crocaneers wrote:
terrytate wrote:

It's due to a combo of Bale and Matthew McConaughey (as stated above .. we need to add him to the list).

Actors, schmactors. It's got ****ing dragons in it. Win right there.
Caradoc

Postby MJW » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:08 pm

Caradoc wrote:
Crocaneers wrote:

Actors, schmactors. It's got ****ing dragons in it. Win right there.

I wanted to like that movie, but the way it was filmed...most of the scenes were so dark I couldn't tell what was happening. I'm still waiting for a mind-blowing dragon movie in my lifetime.
MJW

Postby BJJ34 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:03 pm

Longshot .

I like Seth Rogen as an actor. This was awful. The weird storylines are just too much for me. Wasnt a fan.
BJJ34

Postby PetePierson » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:06 pm

BJJ34 wrote:Longshot .

I like Seth Rogen as an actor. This was awful. The weird storylines are just too much for me. Wasnt a fan.

Seth Rogan? An actor? Dude, when are you going to grow up?
PetePierson

Postby Nano » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:02 pm

Longshots issue was it tried to turn a pot story out of a political story. Rogan's character is getting old
Nano

Postby Rocker » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:45 pm

Man... Endgame was a thoroughly disappointing flick.
Rocker

Postby Teitan » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:02 am

Rocker wrote:Man... Endgame was a thoroughly disappointing flick.

I thought it put a nice bow on it. Also Tony and his daughter storyline got me good.
Teitan

Postby BJJ34 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:15 am

PetePierson wrote:
BJJ34 wrote:Longshot .

Seth Rogan? An actor? Dude, when are you going to grow up?

How can you not like This is the End.

Sometimes a man just has his vices PP. Yours happens to be insulting your favorite football team on the internet.
BJJ34

Postby Snake » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:45 am

What, the ****?

So many thoughts.
- clearly a money grab huh? The Wachowski Brot- err sisters have made mostly crap since The Matrix and are going back to the well of their one great idea
- didn’t Neo and Trinity die? Too old for prequel type stuff. I read that a Bladerunner 2049 type of plot would be the best route. Don’t totally agree but I’m also skeptical one Wachowski Br- err sister can make something great and worthy of existing at this point
- no Morpheus? he is the glue. I don’t see Keanu having the way about him to be the new Morpheus
- it scares me when a creator is adamant about having wrapped up a work or series of works only to revisit them 15-20 years later after a bunch of work that wasn’t nearly as inspired. Eminem MMLP2 comes to mind.
- some heavyhanded commentary on “millennials” and social media use would be horrible. Hope they don’t go this way. The cold open is Neo walking through NYC with his chin held high. Only to be surrounded by a bunch of people looking down at phones. Rob Zombie music starts blasting and of course he’s wearing a 3/4 length leather jacket
- I watched The Matrix recently. Some holds up, some is incredibly bad. Imo some of the best parts are pre red/blue pill. There’s an air of mystery. Neo is basically an automaton in society who is obsessed with this conspiracy theory “thing” around Morpheus. Neo’s dealings with shady malware buying people. Film one should’ve been pre-pill, the final scene being the offering of the pills and the reflection in Morpheus’s glasses after some climax about avoiding agents. Film 2 should’ve been post Pill. Just redo 3 from scratch.
- there’s really no work to “ruin” after the sequels. So let’s do this!
Last edited by Snake on Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Snake

Postby PetePierson » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:41 am

Snake wrote:What, the ****?

So many thoughts.
- clearly a money grab huh? The Wachowski Brot- err sisters have made mostly crap since The Matrix and are going back to the well of their one great idea
- didn’t Neo and Trinity die? Too old for prequel type stuff. I read that a Bladerunner 2049 type of plot would be the best route. Don’t totally agree but I’m also skeptical one Wachowski Br- err sister can make something great and worthy of existing at this point
- no Morpheus? he is the glue. I don’t see Keanu having the way about him to be the new Morpheus
- it scares me when a creator is adamant about having wrapped up a work or series of works only to revisit them 15-20 years later after a bunch of work that wasn’t nearly as inspired. Eminem MMLP2 comes to mind.
- some heavyhanded commentary on “millennials” and social media use would be horrible. Hope they don’t go this way. The cold open is Neo walking through NYC with his chin held high. Only to be surrounded by a bunch of people looking down at phones. Rob Zombie music starts blasting and of course he’s wearing a 3/4 length leather jacket
- I watched The Matrix recently. Some holds up, some is incredibly bad. Imo some of the best parts are pre red/blue pill. There’s an air of mystery. Neo is basically an automaton in society who is obsessed with this conspiracy theory “thing” around Morpheus. Truth be told. Film one should’ve been pre-pill, the final scene being the offering of the pills and the reflection in Morpheus’s glasses after some climax about avoiding agents. Film should’ve been post Pill. Just redo 3 from scratch.

I disagree; I think that would be a decent route.

I love the first one but the second and third are garbage.

As usual; just a money grab.
PetePierson

Postby uscbucsfan » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:46 am

PetePierson wrote:

So many thoughts.
- I watched The Matrix recently. Some holds up, some is incredibly bad. Imo some of the best parts are pre red/blue pill. There’s an air of mystery. Neo is basically an automaton in society who is obsessed with this conspiracy theory “thing” around Morpheus. Truth be told. Film one should’ve been pre-pill, the final scene being the offering of the pills and the reflection in Morpheus’s glasses after some climax about avoiding agents. Film should’ve been post Pill. Just redo 3 from scratch.

I disagree; I think that would be a decent route.

I love the first one but the second and third are garbage.

As usual; just a money grab.

I didn't like the 2nd or 3rd either.

The 3rd was awful and I almost didn't want to finish watching due to boredom.

I can't imagine a 4th being good.

Plus, Reeves has basically been playing Neo in Wick.
uscbucsfan

Postby NYBF » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:22 am

I think I'm more surprised they're going with part 4 rather than just a remake.
NYBF

Postby Snake » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:36 am

Riding that "Keanu is a cultural darling loved by everyone" train.

But seriously, I already have to pretend Dumb and Dumber 2 doesn't exist. Cmon people.
Snake

Postby uscbucsfan » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:40 am

Snake wrote:Riding that "Keanu is a cultural darling loved by everyone" train.

But seriously, I already have to pretend Dumb and Dumber 2 doesn't exist. Cmon people.

So I'm guessing you liked the first one?
uscbucsfan

Postby Snake » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:44 am

uscbucsfan wrote:

The Matrix? less now than I did before. But yes, I think it's a B on an A-F scale after taking everything into consideration.
Snake

Postby uscbucsfan » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:53 am

Snake wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:

The Matrix? less now than I did before. But yes, I think it's a B on an A-F scale after taking everything into consideration.

No. I meant Dumb and Dumber.

Not a fan of 90s slap stick comedies anymore. I liked some back then, but none of them hold up at all IMO
uscbucsfan

Postby IchabodCrane84 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:06 am

Yep, Bill and Ted Face the Music is happen also.

Can't wait for Johnny Mnemonic 2 to get greenlit.
IchabodCrane84

Postby beardmcdoug » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:19 am

So many thoughts.
- I watched The Matrix recently. Some holds up, some is incredibly bad. Imo some of the best parts are pre red/blue pill. There’s an air of mystery. Neo is basically an automaton in society who is obsessed with this conspiracy theory “thing” around Morpheus. Neo’s dealings with shady malware buying people. Film one should’ve been pre-pill, the final scene being the offering of the pills and the reflection in Morpheus’s glasses after some climax about avoiding agents. Film 2 should’ve been post Pill. Just redo 3 from scratch.

noooooooooooooooooooooooooo why god why
beardmcdoug

Postby Snake » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:26 am

uscbucsfan wrote:
Snake wrote:The Matrix? less now than I did before. But yes, I think it's a B on an A-F scale after taking everything into consideration.

No. I meant Dumb and Dumber.

Not a fan of 90s slap stick comedies anymore. I liked some back then, but none of them hold up at all IMO

Dumb and Dumber may be the only funny film that exists period. Most comedies are just trash.
Snake

Postby PrimeMinister » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:27 am

Snake wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:No. I meant Dumb and Dumber.

Dumb and Dumber may be the only funny film that exists period. Most comedies are just trash.

Dumb and dumber is simple trash.
PrimeMinister

Postby Snake » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:28 am

Oh helllll noooooo
Snake

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic