So, what’s your go to simple drink

General Discussion on any Off Topic subject
Re: So, what’s your go to simple drink

Postby Konatown » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:26 pm

Same for me on the NE style IPAs, but they’re not available everywhere just yet. Really like a good double IPA or Imperial stout as well. If it’s liquor give me a nice bourbon on the (light) rocks.

Recently had 7venth Suns Mangrove Double IPA and it was real tasty.
Konatown

Postby Selmon Rules » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:33 pm

The Outsider wrote:
Alpha wrote:
You should make more of an effort because the Bay area has some outstanding micro-breweries:

Cigar City
Big Storm
Coppertail
3 Daughters (St. Pete.)

Others in the Bradenton/Sarasota area...

These guys ALL do some damn fine beer. And a LOT better than Yuengling.

I'm more than aware of all of those outfits. Frankly, they're not even close to the best in the area either.

Edit: I should also note I can't drink beer with even moderate IBU ratings anymore. Something about it makes me physically ill on the spot. So I can't drink IPAs. Or even most APAs.

In the beginning, IPAs were ok.... Then it became a contest to see who could cram the most hops into it making it so bitter I can't stand it....

Am I the only one who remembers those "bitter beer face" commercials from the late 80's or early 90's??
Sig currently being held hostage by Photobucket, will return next fall
Selmon Rules

Postby Selmon Rules » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:34 pm

Buc2 wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:I've never had a Yuengling...I guess I'll have to try.

Way better than Bud or Bud Light...not that that is hard to do. Imo, Yuengling is easily a top 5 domestic beer...especially the draft beer version.

Try the Shiner Bock if you ever get a chance.... A little more going on than a Yuengling and about the same price I think
Sig currently being held hostage by Photobucket, will return next fall
Selmon Rules

Postby Deuce » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:48 pm

Selmon Rules wrote:
The Outsider wrote:
I'm more than aware of all of those outfits. Frankly, they're not even close to the best in the area either.

Edit: I should also note I can't drink beer with even moderate IBU ratings anymore. Something about it makes me physically ill on the spot. So I can't drink IPAs. Or even most APAs.

In the beginning, IPAs were ok.... Then it became a contest to see who could cram the most hops into it making it so bitter I can't stand it....

Am I the only one who remembers those "bitter beer face" commercials from the late 80's or early 90's??

Everyone I know and hang out with hates IPAs. Yet, you go to any bar and it's like 6 IPAs, one other beer, one wheat beer, and one cider. What gives?
Deuce

Postby uscbucsfan » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:17 pm

Deuce wrote:
Selmon Rules wrote:In the beginning, IPAs were ok.... Then it became a contest to see who could cram the most hops into it making it so bitter I can't stand it....

Everyone I know and hang out with hates IPAs. Yet, you go to any bar and it's like 6 IPAs, one other beer, one wheat beer, and one cider. What gives?

As someone who is big into the craft beer scene, IPAs are by far the most popular and diverse beers. They have endless varieties.

Edit: I don't like overly bitter IPAs just like I don't like overly boozey Imperial Stouts. Many IPAs, especially the New England or Milkshake, have pretty low IBU.
uscbucsfan

Postby The Outsider » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:40 pm

Hidden Springs in Tampa has a completely dry hopped APA with zero IBU that's really fuckin good. It's called No Fucks Given.
The Outsider

Postby Truck-a-Saurus » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:11 pm

Kentucky Mule/Rye Mule:

Ice
Bourbon/Rye
Lime
Ginger beer
Truck-a-Saurus

Postby Deja Entendu » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:16 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Yuengling is simply the best bang for the buck for a mass produced American Beer.

I'd go Fat Tire for that category, IMO.

Most places have craft beer now, so I rarely ever go to the mass produced beers.

Right now my go to is any New England IPA (except Sam Adams) or Milkshake IPA.

Agreed on Fat Tire. That's a great "go-to" beer.

For as much as I dislike Yuengling, I have enjoyed their Black and Tan on occasion.

I also look for NE IPAs or a nice APA. If I'm drinking something cheap and feeling "just give me a beer", I usually go Coors Light. I don't mind any of the light/lite beers. I grew up on them and sometimes they just flow nicely.
Deja Entendu

Postby NYBF » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:49 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
Deuce wrote:

As someone who is big into the craft beer scene, IPAs are by far the most popular and diverse beers. They have endless varieties.

Edit: I don't like overly bitter IPAs just like I don't like overly boozey Imperial Stouts. Many IPAs, especially the New England or Milkshake, have pretty low IBU.

IPAs are popular. But diverse? I'm going to disagree. One IPA made 8 different ways with 8 different hops you can't really taste because a good percentage of these lazy shits are adding flour to the brew to make it look hazy is not really diverse.
NYBF

Postby NYBF » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:51 pm

Also, neipa and imp stout is hardly a "simple drink." I think the premise of the thread was something you can grab pretty much anywhere. Your corner dive isn't carrying Ten Fidy.
NYBF

Postby uscbucsfan » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:10 pm

NYBF wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:As someone who is big into the craft beer scene, IPAs are by far the most popular and diverse beers. They have endless varieties.

IPAs are popular. But diverse? I'm going to disagree. One IPA made 8 different ways with 8 different hops you can't really taste because a good percentage of these lazy shits are adding flour to the brew to make it look hazy is not really diverse.

I couldn't disagree more. There are so many different styles and types of IPAs that have so many different flavors. Maybe some you can't tell a difference, but many who drink a lot can. There's everything from jalapeno IPAs, to the Milkshake variety, to dry hopped, etc. Just because an IPA is hazy, doesn't mean it's been lazily brewed nor does it mean the brewer is cheating by adding flour or other cheating ingredients. The good brewers making IPAs with some haze are chemist manipulating the yeast strains, filtering processes, and mixing in malts to create new flavors, colors, body. There are 1,000s of IPAs and outside of the mass produced typical bitter or DIPA they are all diverse and taste different. I've probably tried over 500 of them and I still find new flavors and styles I love.
Last edited by uscbucsfan on Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
uscbucsfan

Postby uscbucsfan » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:12 pm

NYBF wrote:Also, neipa and imp stout is hardly a "simple drink." I think the premise of the thread was something you can grab pretty much anywhere. Your corner dive isn't carrying Ten Fidy.

But every place around where I live does. Craft Beer is huge in the south (outside of Myrtle Beach). I can go to the gas station and get 20 different flavors of Westbrook, Cigar City, Prarie, Evil Twin. There's not a bar in my town, that I know of, that doesn't serve craft beer.

edit: In fact I just picked up a 4 pack of Strawberry Milkshake IPA by Untlited Art at the gas station down the street.
uscbucsfan

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:34 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:In fact I just picked up a 4 pack of Strawberry Milkshake .

Enjoy it as you binge watch Twilight

:P
Zarniwoop

Postby uscbucsfan » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:40 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:In fact I just picked up a 4 pack of Strawberry Milkshake .

Enjoy it as you binge watch Twilight

:P

Ya. I'm really trying to grow my neck beard out before I start the Twilight series.
uscbucsfan

Postby IchabodCrane84 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:54 pm

I know I've said it on here before Yuengling on draft is fantastic, Yuengling in bottles is ****.
IchabodCrane84

Postby Super K » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:00 pm

IchabodCrane84 wrote:I know I've said it on here before Yuengling on draft is fantastic, Yuengling in bottles is ****.

Crazy talk...
Super K

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:02 pm

Super K wrote:
IchabodCrane84 wrote:I know I've said it on here before Yuengling on draft is fantastic, Yuengling in bottles is ****.

Crazy talk...

It's on another level from the tap though. Same with Fat Tire.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby The Outsider » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:21 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Super K wrote:
Crazy talk...

It's on another level from the tap though. Same with Fat Tire.

Every beer should be better on draft than in a bottle. It's like the difference between fresh and frozen fish.
The Outsider

Postby NYBF » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:28 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
NYBF wrote:Also, neipa and imp stout is hardly a "simple drink." I think the premise of the thread was something you can grab pretty much anywhere. Your corner dive isn't carrying Ten Fidy.

But every place around where I live does. Craft Beer is huge in the south (outside of Myrtle Beach). I can go to the gas station and get 20 different flavors of Westbrook, Cigar City, Prarie, Evil Twin. There's not a bar in my town, that I know of, that doesn't serve craft beer.

edit: In fact I just picked up a 4 pack of Strawberry Milkshake IPA by Untlited Art at the gas station down the street.

You say craft beer is huge in the south as if it isn't huge everywhere. Do you know what the "ne" in "neipa" stands for?

And there are far more brewers taking shortcuts to make shitty beer they know people will drink because it's trendy than those who do it the right way.
NYBF

Postby uscbucsfan » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:39 pm

NYBF wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:But every place around where I live does. Craft Beer is huge in the south (outside of Myrtle Beach). I can go to the gas station and get 20 different flavors of Westbrook, Cigar City, Prarie, Evil Twin. There's not a bar in my town, that I know of, that doesn't serve craft beer.

You say craft beer is huge in the south as if it isn't huge everywhere. Do you know what the "ne" in "neipa" stands for?

And there are far more brewers taking shortcuts to make shitty beer they know people will drink because it's trendy than those who do it the right way.

Of course I know what the NE stands for, as I recall I was the first to reference it in the thread as my go to beer. And by goto I mean, most of the time I go out I drink a New England IPA. Sorry you've had bad experiences with shitty beer. That's part of the fun with craft beer. Everyone is in on it, so some sucks and some is brilliant. If you are around enough breweries, you know the good brewers. Just because one is popular doesn't make it good. For example, Sam Adams neipa is trash IMO.

To say there isn't diversity IPA to me just means you don't know what you are talking about. It's fine. I say the same about bourbon. I have a bottle of Pappy's and I don't think it's that much better than the Maker's Mark I normally drink, but I'm not big into Bourbon. I have friends who come over and tell me about the different flavors in the Pappy's, but it's not my thing.
uscbucsfan

Postby NYBF » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:41 pm

You do any home brewing?
NYBF

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:44 pm

Wait, they make craft beers in Nepal?
Zarniwoop

Postby Rocker » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:45 pm

NYBF wrote:You do any home brewing?

Yes... Yes I do.
Rocker

Postby uscbucsfan » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:03 pm

Edit: I drink a lot of beer and hang out with people who do it for a living...
Last edited by uscbucsfan on Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
uscbucsfan

Postby uscbucsfan » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:17 pm

As I've stated in the beer thread. I once hated IPAs. So many out there were just bitter and tried to have too high of an ABV. I was big into Sours and Stouts, especially Chili or Milk Stouts. I got burnt out on sours and one of my friends started feeding me IPAs and things opened up. I still hate most of the IPAs I used to hate, but there's a ton of good ones out there.
uscbucsfan

Postby Moozician » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:53 pm

Crown & Coke.
Moozician

Postby Alpha » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:12 am

uscbucsfan wrote:

Could Admin please verify Kress isn't bi-posting?

Thanks.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:19 am

As far as the IPA thing goes:

Personally...I enjoy IPA's. The more IBU's, the better as far as I'm concerned. I also understand why people dislike them.

Professionally...my bar isn't exactly World of Beers. I serve more liquor by far...but we do have Fat Tire, Jai-Alai and Oats N' Hoes (A local Oatmeal Stout) on tap. All 3 are fine beers but Fat Tire, BY FAR, out-sells the IPA or the Stout. In my experience, IPA's (and plain Pale Ales, for that matter) are a "take it or leave it" proposition. You either love 'em or hate 'em. The Ale is going to out-sell the "fringe" varieties, every time.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:23 am

As far as the OP goes, it's really simple:

The most "go to, simple drinks" I make on a given night are...vodka martinis. Of all variations (i.e. Lemondrops/Cosmos/etc.)

By a mile.
Alpha

Postby Teitan » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:49 am

How often do you get a “shaken not stirred” joke
Teitan

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic