Last one Wins ... .Part 2

General Discussion on any Off Topic subject
Re: Last one Wins ... .Part 2

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:52 pm

acmillis wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:FGCU has a real nice thing going.

My daughter loved what she saw and that fires me up as a Dad.

Florida golf course university class of 2010 right here. Wasn't a fan of my time there but a lot of people like it

Do tell.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Super K » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:01 pm

Finally tried "Boiled Peanuts" today...

Supermarket version, out of a can...

Bangin..

Can't wait to try some "real" ones when I come down in October...
Super K

Postby Rocker » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:13 pm

Buc2 wrote:
Rocker wrote:
Suck it up.

Happy Birthday, dude.

:drinkingcheers:

Thanks man; and thanks more for that other thing you did. Very appreciated.
Rocker

Postby Zarniwoop » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:29 pm

Happy birthday, hope it was badass
Zarniwoop

Postby acmillis » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:54 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
acmillis wrote:Florida golf course university class of 2010 right here. Wasn't a fan of my time there but a lot of people like it

Do tell.

Lots if "fun stuff" to get students involved with one another, but lack of focus on academic quality (faculty) and communication.
Each program has its own jr. and sr. mandatory classes much like orerequisites like comp 1, comp 2, etc.
I met with an advisor to do a graduation check. Literally one week before I was supposed to walk. She said, " I do t see interpersonal comm on your transcript." Me- my advisor (you) told me my program year was fall 06 meaning that was not a prerequisite for graduation.
She have a ba excuse and I take one three-credit hour class and graduate a semester later than expected. I was pissed!
In my programs ( communication and minor in interdisciplinary studies) I felt like I was in 13-16 grade, not a state university program. My expectations weren't that high... but they sure as heck weren't met.
My wife is also an alumni and she has a positive experience. I just felt that the staff and faculty were under serving their customers.
It left such a bad taste in my mouth that I went o. To get my ms in college student affairs and thinking to myself, "if this is the norm, I can sure do better than this. If this is what every student is experiencing, we're all getting shafted." I took the perceived slight and turned it in to a career. I tell all my students that story but leave out fgcu as my institution has a close relationship and I don't want to paint with a broad brush when other people have had different experiences.
acmillis

Postby beardmcdoug » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:30 pm

Rocker wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:Just landed in Fort Myers. I’ll take 100 in Dallas over 90 in Florida. Damn it’s thick here

Suck it up.

Happy birthday bro hope it was a good one!
beardmcdoug

Postby Kress » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:47 am

Rocker wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:Damn it’s thick here

Suck it up.

:?
Kress

Postby PrimeMinister » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:55 am

Kress wrote:
Rocker wrote:
Suck it up.

:?

Well that is the only way to decrease the thickness, right?
PrimeMinister

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:11 am

acmillis wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Do tell.

Lots if "fun stuff" to get students involved with one another, but lack of focus on academic quality (faculty) and communication.
Each program has its own jr. and sr. mandatory classes much like orerequisites like comp 1, comp 2, etc.
I met with an advisor to do a graduation check. Literally one week before I was supposed to walk. She said, " I do t see interpersonal comm on your transcript." Me- my advisor (you) told me my program year was fall 06 meaning that was not a prerequisite for graduation.
She have a ba excuse and I take one three-credit hour class and graduate a semester later than expected. I was pissed!
In my programs ( communication and minor in interdisciplinary studies) I felt like I was in 13-16 grade, not a state university program. My expectations weren't that high... but they sure as heck weren't met.
My wife is also an alumni and she has a positive experience. I just felt that the staff and faculty were under serving their customers.
It left such a bad taste in my mouth that I went o. To get my ms in college student affairs and thinking to myself, "if this is the norm, I can sure do better than this. If this is what every student is experiencing, we're all getting shafted." I took the perceived slight and turned it in to a career. I tell all my students that story but leave out fgcu as my institution has a close relationship and I don't want to paint with a broad brush when other people have had different experiences.

Thanks for your perspective.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Deuce » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:03 am

Seinfeld-esque story but...went on a weekend trip to visit my girlfriend's family. We went to a bar in their hometown. A girl around our age was checking our ID's at the door. My gf and her sister went first and walked ahead. The girl checking ID's looked at mine and said "oh...you're from Tallahassee, too?" I immediately thought that she saw Tallahassee on my gf's ID, and that's why she asked that, so I pointed and said "that's my girlfriend". The girl seemed a little confused and said "what high school did you go to?", and I said "I just moved there for FSU" and went on.

Later, I realized that my gf has never fixed her ID, it still says she lives in the hometown. The girl asked me about Tallahassee because she is from here or lived here at some point, hence the high school question.

So the convo was "you're from Tallahassee, too?" and I just pointed at my gf and said "that's my girlfriend."

I wonder if I seemed like one of those "I have a boyfriend" girls.

I almost wanted to go apologize and correct the situation.
Deuce

Postby beardmcdoug » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:10 am

Deuce wrote:Seinfeld-esque story but...went on a weekend trip to visit my girlfriend's family. We went to a bar in their hometown. A girl around our age was checking our ID's at the door. My gf and her sister went first and walked ahead. The girl checking ID's looked at mine and said "oh...you're from Tallahassee, too?" I immediately thought that she saw Tallahassee on my gf's ID, and that's why she asked that, so I pointed and said "that's my girlfriend". The girl seemed a little confused and said "what high school did you go to?", and I said "I just moved there for FSU" and went on.

Later, I realized that my gf has never fixed her ID, it still says she lives in the hometown. The girl asked me about Tallahassee because she is from here or lived here at some point, hence the high school question.

So the convo was "you're from Tallahassee, too?" and I just pointed at my gf and said "that's my girlfriend."

I wonder if I seemed like one of those "I have a boyfriend" girls.

I almost wanted to go apologize and correct the situation.

yeah, what you should do now is show up in the middle of the day today or tomorrow and find her and tell her "just so you know, the other night when you checked my ID and asked me "you're from Tallahassee, too?", I thought by "too", you were referring to my girlfriend's ID, not you"

and then slowly back away while maintaining eye contact
beardmcdoug

Postby Buc2 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:03 pm

I don't have a lot of details right now, but my oldest sister is giving up the fight (failing kidneys) and has told her daughter that she just wants to go into hospice care until she dies. She's 16 years older than I am. During my early years, from when I was infant up until I was about 5 years old, she was the one that took care of me everyday while my mom went to work. My heart is breaking, but I fully understand why she wants to give up.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby beardmcdoug » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:06 pm

Buc2 wrote:I don't have a lot of details right now, but my oldest sister is giving up the fight (failing kidneys) and has told her daughter that she just wants to go into hospice care until she dies. She's 16 years older than I am. During my early years, from when I was infant up until I was about 5 years old, she was the one that took care of me everyday while my mom went to work. My heart is breaking, but I fully understand why she wants to give up.

aw man. Really sorry to hear that bud. Hang in there.
beardmcdoug

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:10 pm

aw man, I'm so sorry to hear this Buc2. All my best and prayers to your family
Zarniwoop

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:31 pm

Buc2 wrote:I don't have a lot of details right now, but my oldest sister is giving up the fight (failing kidneys) and has told her daughter that she just wants to go into hospice care until she dies. She's 16 years older than I am. During my early years, from when I was infant up until I was about 5 years old, she was the one that took care of me everyday while my mom went to work. My heart is breaking, but I fully understand why she wants to give up.

I'm very sorry to hear that, Buc2. I hope you get a chance to see her before she passes.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Rocker » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:06 pm

Damn, man. I’m sorry for you.
Rocker

Postby Super K » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:15 pm

Wow Buc2...heart and prayers go out to you and your family..
Super K

Postby Crocaneers » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:20 pm

Buc2

No words my friend.. this is difficult.

We are here for what ever you need.

And praying
Crocaneers

Postby Nano » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:11 pm

Sorry to hear that Buc2. Hope you and everyone get to spend some time with her before the end. Definitely a terrible decision that she had to make, but at least she'll be in peace hopefully.
Nano

Postby RedLeader » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:57 pm

Sorry to hear that, brother. Prayers and thoughts will be with her.
RedLeader

Postby Kress » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:19 am

Sorry to hear that Buc2. Try to look at the good side of the double-edged sword of knowing and enjoy every moment of the time you have. Take care.
Kress

Postby Buc2 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:34 am

Thanks, everyone. I'm over the initial shock of her decision this morning. I mean...I can fully understand why she has given up after learning more details of her condition. And, above all, it is her choice. It's still a bit of a shock because this all come on kinda suddenly. Unfortunately, when she's taken off the meds they've been giving her, she starts hallucinating and doesn't remember anything. My other sister was just over there for a few days and said our big sis doesn't even remember she was there at all.

I'm not sure I will get to see her before she passes. Since she will likely not even know I'm there, I think I'd prefer to remember her as I last saw her instead. :(

Man... the passage of time sure has a way of ****ing with our lives.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Buc2 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:13 am

Well...she went fast once she left the hospital and went into hospice care. My sister passed away around 2:30am today.
I will miss her, but I'm glad she's no longer suffering what she was going through.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:28 am

Buc2 wrote:Well...she went fast once she left the hospital and went into hospice care. My sister passed away around 2:30am today.
I will miss her, but I'm glad she's no longer suffering what she was going through.

My condolences, Buc2, truly.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Kress » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:29 am

Condolences.
Kress

Postby Buc2 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:33 am

It's odd...I was a lot more emotional when I found out she had giving up and chose to go into hospice than I was this morning with the news she had passed.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:37 am

Buc2 wrote:It's odd...I was a lot more emotional when I found out she had giving up and chose to go into hospice than I was this morning with the news she had passed.

Grief is a tough emotion. I'm not a fan at all. When it's acute you can let it out, but most of the time its a low level ache you can't seem to shake off. It does fade though.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby beardmcdoug » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:06 am

Buc2 wrote:Well...she went fast once she left the hospital and went into hospice care. My sister passed away around 2:30am today.

really sorry to hear that Buc2, thoughts and prayers with you
beardmcdoug

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:07 am

BMD there is a new tinfoil hat thread in political forum that is screaming for your input!!!!!!!

Make it happen

:P :P :P :P
Zarniwoop

Postby Buc2 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:17 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Buc2 wrote:It's odd...I was a lot more emotional when I found out she had giving up and chose to go into hospice than I was this morning with the news she had passed.

Grief is a tough emotion. I'm not a fan at all. When it's acute you can let it out, but most of the time its a low level ache you can't seem to shake off. It does fade though.

Like you and many others in here, I'm well aware of the fading effect of grief. Yeah...grief sucks whether it's acute or low level. It's really a lot to process right now.

It may be selfish of me, but I'm going through with weekend plans my daughter and a long-time friend from Tampa already made. Not to be callous or an unloving brother, but a lot of money has already been spent. I'll just have to raise a few glasses of good beer in her honor.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic