Official Superhero Discussion Thread

General Discussion on any Off Topic subject
Re: Official Superhero Discussion Thread

Postby PrimeMinister » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:08 pm

Teitan wrote:I can’t wait to see black panther. Can’t wait to see how over hyped it is!!

Of course, I hope it’s as good as everyone says. Just like I hoped Wonder Woman was.

Seen it yet?
PrimeMinister

Postby Deuce » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:47 am

PrimeMinister wrote:
Teitan wrote:I can’t wait to see black panther. Can’t wait to see how over hyped it is!!

Of course, I hope it’s as good as everyone says. Just like I hoped Wonder Woman was.

Seen it yet?

I know you weren't talking to me but I finally saw it. It was really good. Right in line with most of the Marvel movies so far. Guardians of the Galaxy is still my favorite. Michael B. Jordan is awesome but there was definitely too much CGI. The cliffs where all the different tribes were standing by the waterfall was annoyingly fake for me.

One reviewer I listen to said "The movie is a solid B+. If someone says it's worse than that, they probably have an agenda. If someone says it's better than that, they probably have an agenda, too." I think that's a good way of putting it. It's a really good movie but it doesn't deserve 100% on Rotten Tomatoes or to be overly criticized.
Deuce

Postby uscbucsfan » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:30 am

Deuce wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:
Seen it yet?

I know you weren't talking to me but I finally saw it. It was really good. Right in line with most of the Marvel movies so far. Guardians of the Galaxy is still my favorite. Michael B. Jordan is awesome but there was definitely too much CGI. The cliffs where all the different tribes were standing by the waterfall was annoyingly fake for me.

One reviewer I listen to said "The movie is a solid B+. If someone says it's worse than that, they probably have an agenda. If someone says it's better than that, they probably have an agenda, too." I think that's a good way of putting it. It's a really good movie but it doesn't deserve 100% on Rotten Tomatoes or to be overly criticized.

A universal "solid B+" would equate to 100% on Rotten Tomatoes.
uscbucsfan

Postby Deuce » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:38 am

uscbucsfan wrote:
Deuce wrote:

That's technically true but RT never works that way. If so, every decent movie would be 100%. Like the Oscars, it's influenced by politics and such. It has Black Panther at 97%, Iron Man at 94%, then the other really good Marvel movies come in between 80-92%. I don't think anyone actually feels that way.
Deuce

Postby uscbucsfan » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:46 am

Deuce wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:

That's technically true but RT never works that way. If so, every decent movie would be 100%. Like the Oscars, it's influenced by politics and such. It has Black Panther at 97%, Iron Man at 94%, then the other really good Marvel movies come in between 80-92%. I don't think anyone actually feels that way.

RT does work that way. There are always reviewers who give a negative review or multiple to bring the score down.

If you look on RT for BP, some of the "fresh" reviews are 2/5 stars and say, "Ultimately, it's more interesting to think about than it is to watch." They just said it wasn't terrible and gave it a fresh rating. 97% doesn't mean everyone thought it was amazing, it just means 97% thought it wasn't bad.
uscbucsfan

Postby Teitan » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:06 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:

Seen it yet?

Haven’t had a chance unfortunately.
Teitan

Postby RedLeader » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:12 pm

IGN NEWS / 9 MAR 2018

CAPTAIN MARVEL IS THE FIRST SUPERHERO NICK FURY MEETS

In an interview with Entertainment Weekly, Marvel Studios head Kevin Feige revealed Carol Danvers (aka Captain Marvel) is actually the first hero Nick Fury meets in the MCU. According to Feige, Marvel wanted to explore a time period when Nick Fury did not know about this larger universe of superheroes existing.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/03/09/ ... fury-meets
RedLeader

Postby Phantom Phenom » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:00 pm

Miller4Prez64 wrote:
Phantom Phenom wrote:Josh Brolin confirms Thanos' return In Avengers 4

Captain Marvel will appear in Avengers 4

Thanos was always going to be in Avengers 4, people just went crazy with theories when Marvel dropped the Part I and Part II titles. I'm glad they did because I hate movies with those kind of titles. IMO, Infinity War will be about Thanos trying to collect all the stones while A4 will be him having all the stones.

Yup

Thanos Is Still The Main Villain In Avengers 4

Avengers 4 may not be the second part of this year’s Infinity War, but that doesn’t mean it will have a new threat: Thanos is still the big bad. Back in October 2014, Marvel visionary Kevin Feige announced an ambitious film slate for Marvel Studios that ran all the way to 2019, culminating in the fourth Avengers film. While we are still ending on that movie, quite a lot has changed since; the two-part Avengers: Infinity War has since become two distinct movies, with the title of the latter treated as a spoiler of some kind.

That decision has triggered intense debate among fans, who believed Marvel had prepared something surprising and unexpected. When Marvel announced that Captain Marvel would introduce the Skrulls, some speculated that Avengers 4 would be a “Secret Invasion.” Another common theory, inspired by set photos, is that time will splinter and set up the “Secret Wars” arc.

That becomes clear the moment you cast your eyes to Josh Brolin’s calendar. In July, the actor left the set of Deadpool 2 to return to Atlanta. There, he began filming Thanos’s part in Avengers 4. Since then, Brolin has kept pretty quiet about the production – at least until November, when he posted a comment on Instagram.

Although Brolin hasn’t been seen in any set photos, this message told the world that he’d been on-set all this time. The only possible reason is that Thanos is still a key player in Avengers 4 – in some form.

That’s recently been confirmed by the Russo brothers. Production has wrapped on Avengers 4, and to celebrate the Russos posted an image of their wrap cake on social media. This featured Thanos stood atop platforms, surrounded by ingots that clearly represented Infinity Stones. The cake was clearly meant to celebrate the end of production of both Infinity War and Avengers 4, and Thanos was in place of pride.
Phantom Phenom

Postby VauntedTampa2 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:09 am

I'm not sure if my body can wait any longer for the new IW trailer.
VauntedTampa2

Postby Super K » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:20 am

VauntedTampa2 wrote:I'm not sure if my body can wait any longer for the new IW trailer.
Super K

Postby PrimeMinister » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:33 am

VauntedTampa2 wrote:I'm not sure if my body can wait any longer for the new IW trailer.

There should be one last trailer before opening night right?
PrimeMinister

Postby Bootz2004 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:43 am

PrimeMinister wrote:

There should and it should’ve been released by now. But Marvel is sort of getting free promotion with the huge success of Black Panther. Another trailer really isn’t a necessity right now but we should get one.
Bootz2004

Postby Deja Entendu » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:21 pm

Finally saw Black Panther. I'm not sure exactly where I'd put it against the other Marvel films, but it's certainly towards the top of the list. Michael B. Jordan was great, as usual.

The most impressive thing about it for me was the direction. Not so much that it was groundbreaking, or anything, but the fact it was done so well and it is only Ryan Coogler's THIRD feature film.

That dude is beyond talented. Fruitvale Station was very well done. Then his sophomore effort was Creed, which I also thought had great direction -- boxing films can be difficult to get right. Just with those two, he showed his diversity... but then to jump to such a massive undertaking his third time out and to knock it out of the park. Bravo, man. He's definitely one to watch. It's cool that he has his "DeNiro" in MBJ too.
Deja Entendu

Postby PrimeMinister » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:37 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:

There should and it should’ve been released by now. But Marvel is sort of getting free promotion with the huge success of Black Panther. Another trailer really isn’t a necessity right now but we should get one.

Good point on Infinity War benefiting from Black Panther. This makes their new April 27 release date that much more perfect. The closer they can move IW to BP the better for them.
PrimeMinister

Postby PrimeMinister » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:39 pm

Deja Entendu wrote:Finally saw Black Panther. I'm not sure exactly where I'd put it against the other Marvel films, but it's certainly towards the top of the list. Michael B. Jordan was great, as usual.

The most impressive thing about it for me was the direction. Not so much that it was groundbreaking, or anything, but the fact it was done so well and it is only Ryan Coogler's THIRD feature film.

That dude is beyond talented. Fruitvale Station was very well done. Then his sophomore effort was Creed, which I also thought had great direction -- boxing films can be difficult to get right. Just with those two, he showed his diversity... but then to jump to such a massive undertaking his third time out and to knock it out of the park. Bravo, man. He's definitely one to watch. It's cool that he has his "DeNiro" in MBJ too.

Agreed on Coogler. It’s just wild how talented he is. He has put together three great films completely distinct from one another in style, genre and scope. Very few directors can do this let alone in their first 3 films.
PrimeMinister

Postby Teitan » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:44 pm

I’m hoping the ol’ streaming service has black panther so I can watch it this weekend.

I’ve always loved Marvel movies and always been very excited for them. But lately I just can’t find a **** to give. I was more excited about Infinity Wars 2 years ago than I am now.

I hope BP meets the hype. I’ve not really seen much with Michael B. Jordan but heard not much good about his performances. Heard rave reviews about him in this. I just watched Creed the other day. Thought he was solid in that.
Teitan

Postby Deja Entendu » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:43 pm

Teitan wrote:I’m hoping the ol’ streaming service has black panther so I can watch it this weekend.

I’ve always loved Marvel movies and always been very excited for them. But lately I just can’t find a **** to give. I was more excited about Infinity Wars 2 years ago than I am now.

I hope BP meets the hype. I’ve not really seen much with Michael B. Jordan but heard not much good about his performances. Heard rave reviews about him in this. I just watched Creed the other day. Thought he was solid in that.

I'm surprised youve heard negative things about Michael B Jordan. He's been outstanding in practically everything I've seen him in: The Wire, Fruitvale Station, Creed, and, now, Black Panther. He was decent in Chronicle. I haven't seen the show Friday Night Lights, but that's usually universally praised. Truth be told, I thought he was fine as Johnny Storm, too... but I can see how if that's someone's only exposure to him, it'd leave a bad taste.

Edit: as for BP, I honestly don't know if it matches the hype, and all the hype had me a little hesitant, too; but it was highly entertaining and, as I said, one of the best Marvel films... in my opinion. If you want it brought down to earth some: It's not The Dark Knight.
Deja Entendu

Postby terrytate » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:31 pm

Deja Entendu wrote:
Teitan wrote:I’m hoping the ol’ streaming service has black panther so I can watch it this weekend.

I'm surprised youve heard negative things about Michael B Jordan. He's been outstanding in practically everything I've seen him in: The Wire, Fruitvale Station, Creed, and, now, Black Panther. He was decent in Chronicle. I haven't seen the show Friday Night Lights, but that's usually universally praised. Truth be told, I thought he was fine as Johnny Storm, too... but I can see how if that's someone's only exposure to him, it'd leave a bad taste.

Edit: as for BP, I honestly don't know if it matches the hype, and all the hype had me a little hesitant, too; but it was highly entertaining and, as I said, one of the best Marvel films... in my opinion. If you want it brought down to earth some: It's not The Dark Knight.

My problem with Micheal B Jordan is the same one I have with a lot of actors. They have 0 range. Micheal B Jordan always plays the disadvantaged but aggressive black guy, at least in the films I've seen. Chronicle perhaps as the only exception. Chadwick Boseman played that guy in Draft Day, he played James Brown and then plays the cultured, refined and well spoken man in Thurgood and Black Panther. In Black Panther he shows he can act while carrying a spot on exotic accent too.
terrytate

Postby PrimeMinister » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:52 pm

terrytate wrote:
Deja Entendu wrote:

My problem with Micheal B Jordan is the same one I have with a lot of actors. They have 0 range. Micheal B Jordan always plays the disadvantaged but aggressive black guy, at least in the films I've seen. Chronicle perhaps as the only exception. Chadwick Boseman played that guy in Draft Day, he played James Brown and then plays the cultured, refined and well spoken man in Thurgood and Black Panther. In Black Panther he shows he can act while carrying a spot on exotic accent too.

Regarding your point on Michael B Jordan: He cannot help that he is black so let’s remove that part from the equation. Are you basically saying he plays disadvantaged yet aggressive characters in all his roles? You see Creed and Killmonger as the same role? One is the hero and the other is the villain. In Creed MBJ is literally replaying the Rocky path: the hard luck boxer that has to overcome the world to become world champion.
PrimeMinister

Postby terrytate » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:27 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
terrytate wrote:

Regarding your point on Michael B Jordan: He cannot help that he is black so let’s remove that part from the equation. Are you basically saying he plays disadvantaged yet aggressive characters in all his roles? You see Creed and Killmonger as the same role? One is the hero and the other is the villain. In Creed MBJ is literally replaying the Rocky path: the hard luck boxer that has to overcome the world to become world champion.

Different parts, but acted exactly the same way. Like I said, lots of guys are guilty of this. And yes, Creed and Kilmonger are similar. They were both born to rich and powerful men who were killed, leaving the young kid to fend for himself, get a chip on his shoulder and come back with a vengence trying to prove their worth.
terrytate

Postby Super K » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:39 am

C'mon, let's go already!!!!!!!!!!!!!
@infinitywartrailer2
Super K

Postby Teitan » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:27 am

Ok. That Avengers trailer got me excited.
Teitan

Postby Super K » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:46 am

Teitan wrote:Ok. That Avengers trailer got me excited.

Damn straight did! Chris Pratt talking smack to IM/Down was freaking hilarious...

And PLEASE let Spidey play a bigger role!

Who was the big mofo with Loki and the other uglies?
Super K

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:54 am

Super K wrote:
Teitan wrote:Ok. That Avengers trailer got me excited.

Damn straight did! Chris Pratt talking smack to IM/Down was freaking hilarious...

That would be Corvis Glade. The other is Ebony Maw and Proxima Midnight. Not sure who the 4th is. This is so exciting! Russos really went in on sticking with the comics. They are Thanos closes goons and bad asses themselves. I cannot wait.
Bootz2004

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:00 am

I'm pumped!!!

DreadNaught

Postby Super K » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:21 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
Super K wrote:

That would be Corvis Glade. The other is Ebony Maw and Proxima Midnight. Not sure who the 4th is. This is so exciting! Russos really went in on sticking with the comics. They are Thanos closes goons and bad asses themselves. I cannot wait.

Damn, you guys know your **** (guess I'm more of a comic-CASUAL than I thought hahaha)...

My memory of Thanos/Infinity Wars/Spidey was Spidey and The Thing flying out into space...Thing got whooped, the Avengers were all locked up (somehow/someway) and it was Spidey vs Thanos..

In order to win, Spidey threw himself against the machine/computer cage holding the Avengers back, allowing them to break free and attack Thanos...it was pretty selfless...one of the reasons I love the wall crawler..
Super K

Postby PrimeMinister » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:35 am

I haven’t watched the trailer yet because I’m in a meeting. Just reading the reactions to the trailer got me excited though.
PrimeMinister

Postby Super K » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:38 am

PrimeMinister wrote:I haven’t watched the trailer yet because I’m in a meeting. Just reading the reactions to the trailer got me excited though.

Perv
Super K

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:36 am

Watching that trailer demonstrated to me how far behind I am with Marvel.

Havent seen anything since Civil War.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:48 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:Watching that trailer demonstrated to me how far behind I am with Marvel.

Havent seen anything since Civil War.

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 is on Netflix.

Then of course Black Panther, which took place intimidately following Civil War

That should catch you up. But neither of those movies did much in terms of the Avengers storyline. I think as long as you watched Civil War (also on Netflix) you should should be fine for IW since nothing has really happened to main plot since then and IW will pick up from there (3 years later). The Avengers are still 'broken up', Cap broke out Ant-Man, Wanda, Hawkeye, and Falcon from that underwater prison (with atleast some help from Black Panther). The Winter Soldier has been in Wakanda getting his brain rewired since Civil War and it looks like he's back w/ a fancy new arm.
DreadNaught

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic