Official Superhero Discussion Thread

General Discussion on any Off Topic subject
Re: Official Superhero Discussion Thread

Postby bahamian:bucfan » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:16 pm

My wife & I just came back from watching Panther..............we both LOVED it!

All I will say for now is that the movie was 2 plus hrs long and we felt like it was too short.
bahamian:bucfan

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:23 pm

I'm a cheapskate and rewatched Man of Steel.

But I'm a Superman homer.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby PrimeMinister » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:28 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:I'm a cheapskate and rewatched Man of Steel.

Looking forward to hearing your thought whenever you do see Black Panther.
PrimeMinister

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:29 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:I'm a cheapskate and rewatched Man of Steel.

Looking forward to hearing your thought whenever you do see Black Panther.

I do want to see it and the reviews are excellent, but im not sure I'll catch it in the theater unless it has an extended run.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby sanka » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:35 pm

I am about to see what all the fuss is all about.
sanka

Postby sanka » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:43 am

Great movie!! ....I wish the villain was shown more early instead of later in the movie.

Michael B. Jordan was really great in this movie...wow.
sanka

Postby terrytate » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:29 pm

bahamian:bucfan wrote:Like most I am REALLY looking forward to watching Black Panther this week end.

To me, this is almost as big as the first Transformers movie (from a personal stand point transformers will always have a special place in my heart and I collect vintage figures every chance I get). Sorry about that!

But, this movie seems to be the most anticipated movie event I have seen in a long time (probable ever).

So I was thinking; how much money will this movie make on its opening week end?

My estimate is 200 million domestic and 400 million over seas. Thats a total of 600 million in its first weekend!

What do you guys think?

Turns out that your estimate was low for the domestic take. They are putting the US/Canada numbers at 240 mill or so. The international numbers are under 170 but it has yet to open in China, Japan or Russia. If it had, it might have hit that 400 mill mark too.

Now then, imagine how absurd the numbers for Infinity War will be.

Oh, and I finally saw it today myself. Add my name to those singing the praises of this movie. There were a few small bits I didn't care for but complaining about them would be nitpicking. Overall it was a home run in every way.
terrytate

Postby uscbucsfan » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:45 pm

terrytate wrote:
bahamian:bucfan wrote:Like most I am REALLY looking forward to watching Black Panther this week end.

To me, this is almost as big as the first Transformers movie (from a personal stand point transformers will always have a special place in my heart and I collect vintage figures every chance I get). Sorry about that!

But, this movie seems to be the most anticipated movie event I have seen in a long time (probable ever).

My estimate is 200 million domestic and 400 million over seas. Thats a total of 600 million in its first weekend!

What do you guys think?

Turns out that your estimate was low for the domestic take. They are putting the US/Canada numbers at 240 mill or so. The international numbers are under 170 but it has yet to open in China, Japan or Russia. If it had, it might have hit that 400 mill mark too.

Oh, and I finally saw it today myself. Add my name to those singing the praises of this movie. There were a few small bits I didn't care for but complaining about them would be nitpicking. Overall it was a home run in every way.

I don't think Infinity War will be as big domestically, but will be much bigger world wide.
uscbucsfan

Postby Phantom Phenom » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:39 pm

Josh Brolin confirms Thanos' return In Avengers 4

Captain Marvel will appear in Avengers 4
Phantom Phenom

Postby bahamian:bucfan » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:30 pm

terrytate wrote:

What do you guys think?

So my question is this; the weekend Panther opens up in China, Japan and Russia...........do you add this to the weekend totals of Us/ Canada (240) and the other internationals (170)?

If this is the case, then my estimates may be pretty accurate.

Postby Deuce » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:16 pm

Phantom Phenom wrote:Josh Brolin confirms Thanos' return In Avengers 4

Hm...I wonder what the transition will be from Avengers 3 to 4? Will it just be a "to be continued..." type thing?

I'm not a comic book person at all but my guess is in Infinity Wars, Thanos defeats Thor, Captain America, Iron Man and the Hulk. Spiderman and the Guardians stick around just enough to survive and Captain Marvel comes in to save the day.

But the whole reason I came into this thread was to ask, why doesn't Marvel make villain movies? For instance, between Thor 1 and 2 (or 2 and 3), give us a full Loki movie without Thor. I know Loki doesn't have a big following but I think he's more popular than Ant-Man was. I guess it would've been equally as predictable as every other movie but it'd be refreshing to see the bad guy win for once. Every movie is good vs bad guy, bad guy gets upper hand, good guy changes something and defeats bad guy.
Deuce

Postby terrytate » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:06 am

Deuce wrote:

Hm...I wonder what the transition will be from Avengers 3 to 4? Will it just be a "to be continued..." type thing?

I'm not a comic book person at all but my guess is in Infinity Wars, Thanos defeats Thor, Captain America, Iron Man and the Hulk. Spiderman and the Guardians stick around just enough to survive and Captain Marvel comes in to save the day.

But the whole reason I came into this thread was to ask, why doesn't Marvel make villain movies? For instance, between Thor 1 and 2 (or 2 and 3), give us a full Loki movie without Thor. I know Loki doesn't have a big following but I think he's more popular than Ant-Man was. I guess it would've been equally as predictable as every other movie but it'd be refreshing to see the bad guy win for once. Every movie is good vs bad guy, bad guy gets upper hand, good guy changes something and defeats bad guy.

Because in the MCU, the villains are second fiddle to the heroes. Look at how disposable their villains have been, how many of them even don't survive their first movie. Loki is the only serious exception, but he's always been the classic "good" bad guy.
terrytate

Postby PrimeMinister » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:25 am

Deuce wrote:

I could go for a backstory film on Killmonger. In general though how would you see the story playing out? Bad guy vs badder guy, badder guy gets upper hand, bad guy improves and beats badder guy?
PrimeMinister

Postby Bootz2004 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:45 am

Black Panther is already at $400mil domestically alone. 4th film ever to reach $100mil for it's 2nd weekend. It's at $704mil worldwide. And oh BTW it has yet to open in China, Japan or Russia.

Compared to other MCU films the $400mil domestic total is more than all but 4 movies (both Avengers, Iron Man 3 and Civil War). It's the 1st MCU film not featuring Robert Downey Jr to reach $400mil.

It's on pace to bring in more than the 1st avengers and with no real movie competition coming out any time soon it might.
Bootz2004

Postby PrimeMinister » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:44 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:Black Panther is already at $400mil domestically alone. 4th film ever to reach $100mil for it's 2nd weekend. It's at $704mil worldwide. And oh BTW it has yet to open in China, Japan or Russia.

Compared to other MCU films the $400mil domestic total is more than all but 4 movies (both Avengers, Iron Man 3 and Civil War). It's the 1st MCU film not featuring Robert Downey Jr to reach $400mil.

It's on pace to bring in more than the 1st avengers and with no real movie competition coming out any time soon it might.

Black Panther will end it’s run as the MCU’s most successful movie hands down. They struck gold with the writing, directing and the cast. At this point the question is how far over $1B does it go?
PrimeMinister

Postby Miller4Prez64 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:27 pm

Thanos was always going to be in Avengers 4, people just went crazy with theories when Marvel dropped the Part I and Part II titles. I'm glad they did because I hate movies with those kind of titles. IMO, Infinity War will be about Thanos trying to collect all the stones while A4 will be him having all the stones.
Miller4Prez64

Postby Deuce » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:11 am

PrimeMinister wrote:
Deuce wrote:

I could go for a backstory film on Killmonger. In general though how would you see the story playing out? Bad guy vs badder guy, badder guy gets upper hand, bad guy improves and beats badder guy?

I was thinking the storyline would be bad guy vs minor good guy and bad guy ends up winning. Just breaking up the monotony of Thor/Iron Man/Captain America vs bad guy X who we don't know or care about. It sounds like this might be happening with the Venom movie.
Deuce

Postby PrimeMinister » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:46 am

Deuce wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:

I was thinking the storyline would be bad guy vs minor good guy and bad guy ends up winning. Just breaking up the monotony of Thor/Iron Man/Captain America vs bad guy X who we don't know or care about. It sounds like this might be happening with the Venom movie.

I thought Venom was going against a “badder guy”? I don’t think audiences would take to a movie the ends with the bad guy winning. People like to see the good team/guy win. Audiences might reject it.

Edit: Unless you make the bad guy an Anti-hero. You have to give the audience a “good guy” to cheer. Venom could be made to be an anti-hero of sorts that the audience can get behind.
Last edited by PrimeMinister on Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
PrimeMinister

Postby Teitan » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:50 am

Yep. Same with Suicide Squad. Bad guys against badder.
Teitan

Postby PrimeMinister » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:55 am

Teitan wrote:Yep. Same with Suicide Squad. Bad guys against badder.

Right. Suicide squad was fun, but should have been better. The movie needed to make the viewer more emotionally tied to the squad for it to work. They tried that with Will Smith’s character, but it just didn’t work.
PrimeMinister

Postby Deuce » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:14 am

PrimeMinister wrote:
Deuce wrote:

I thought Venom was going against a “badder guy”? I don’t think audiences would take to a movie the ends with the bad guy winning. People like to see the good team/guy win. Audiences might reject it.

Edit: Unless you make the bad guy an Anti-hero. You have to give the audience a “good guy” to cheer. Venom could be made to be an anti-hero of sorts that the audience can get behind.

idk, am I the only one who gets tired of going into every movie knowing that the good guys will win? I think the anti-hero thing could work, the bad guy is doing bad things because of some behind-the-scenes reason, like Walter White.

I thought I read that Venom was an anti-hero movie.
Deuce

Postby Deuce » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:16 am

Also, I tried to see Black Panther last Saturday, last Monday, and this Saturday. I even went early this weekend to get my tickets. Every showing has been sold out.
Deuce

Postby bahamian:bucfan » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:31 am

PrimeMinister wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:Black Panther is already at $400mil domestically alone. 4th film ever to reach $100mil for it's 2nd weekend. It's at $704mil worldwide. And oh BTW it has yet to open in China, Japan or Russia.

Black Panther will end it’s run as the MCU’s most successful movie hands down. They struck gold with the writing, directing and the cast. At this point the question is how far over $1B does it go?

I 100% agree with this!

Postby PrimeMinister » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:39 am

Deuce wrote:Also, I tried to see Black Panther last Saturday, last Monday, and this Saturday. I even went early this weekend to get my tickets. Every showing has been sold out.

It’s still like that?? Good grief. I never thought BP would get this big. It’s awesome.
PrimeMinister

Postby Miller4Prez64 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:23 pm

In other great Marvel news, the release date for Infinity War has been moved to April 27th. A week earlier than expected! I suspect this is due to Deadpool 2's release date being moved to two weeks after Infinity War, it helps their box office totals for the 3rd week without that competition.
Miller4Prez64

Postby Teitan » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:02 pm

I can’t wait to see black panther. Can’t wait to see how over hyped it is!!

Of course, I hope it’s as good as everyone says. Just like I hoped Wonder Woman was.
Teitan

Postby Bootz2004 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:10 pm

Black Panther hit $500mil state side. It's the 3rd Disney distributed film to do so over the last year (Beauty and the Beast, Star Wars: Return of the Jedi).
Bootz2004

Postby RedLeader » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:30 pm

Fox is making more "secret" Marvel movies, including Silver Surfer...

With Disney’s massive $52.4 billion buyout of 21st Century Fox’s movie and TV studios on the horizon, it’s just a matter of time before Fox is no longer able to control its own private little Marvel movie universe with the X-Men and Fantastic Four rights. Apparently, it’s using this time to start ramping up development of as many comic book movies as possible, including Noah Hawley’s Doctor Doom movie and the secret X-Men spin-off from Brian Michael Bendis and Tim Miller that will probably be about Kitty Pryde. That’s just the start of it, though, with The Hollywood Reporter saying that Fox has “several other ‘secret’ projects” in the works, with one executive saying that the studio is “going 100 miles per hour.”

https://www.avclub.com/fox-is-making-mo ... 1823369087
RedLeader

Postby Hit55 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:26 pm

RedLeader wrote:Fox is making more "secret" Marvel movies, including Silver Surfer...

With Disney’s massive $52.4 billion buyout of 21st Century Fox’s movie and TV studios on the horizon, it’s just a matter of time before Fox is no longer able to control its own private little Marvel movie universe with the X-Men and Fantastic Four rights. Apparently, it’s using this time to start ramping up development of as many comic book movies as possible, including Noah Hawley’s Doctor Doom movie and the secret X-Men spin-off from Brian Michael Bendis and Tim Miller that will probably be about Kitty Pryde. That’s just the start of it, though, with The Hollywood Reporter saying that Fox has “several other ‘secret’ projects” in the works, with one executive saying that the studio is “going 100 miles per hour.”

Great. Nothing says "this movie is going to suck" quite like rushed movies.
Hit55

Postby RedLeader » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:37 pm

Hit55 wrote:
RedLeader wrote:Fox is making more "secret" Marvel movies, including Silver Surfer...

Great. Nothing says "this movie is going to suck" quite like rushed movies.

Lol. Ya. Good point.
RedLeader

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic