Official Superhero Discussion Thread

General Discussion on any Off Topic subject
Re: Official Superhero Discussion Thread

Postby MJW » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:54 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:We had Coming to America and nobody said ****. Why? Because the movie was good. Dats why.

This is the lord's truth. Were there any white people in Coming To America besides Louie Anderson? Drawing a blank. And I honestly don't remember it EVER being a talking point for anyone.

Of course, that was an era where we had a ton of primarily black shows and movies, and nobody cared. The Cosby Show, A Different World, Amen, 227, The Color Purple, Spike Lee's early stuff, Different Strokes...It was all great stuff (besides Different Strokes, which was dreadful) and nobody saw a need to make it more than that.
MJW

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:58 am

PrimeMinister wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Don't leave us hanging.

Story
Writing
Cinematography
Music
SFX

What's great about it?

Without exaggeration this is Marvel’s best work.

Everything you listed is 5/5. The writing puts this movie on an entirely different level than previous Marvel films. I just spent 2.5 hours sitting with a group talking about the film. I cannot think of a single misstep with this one.

Characters: Fully fleshed our with motivations you understand and empathize with.

Villain: Marvel has never done a better villain. Never. This depth of villain is what they need to reach for every time.

Visuals: Attention to detail is astounding. Certain shots are just designed for an IMAX screen.

Directing: Ryan Coogler should win an award for what he just pulled off. When you sit back to look at what he did on such a large scale it’s astounding. Marvel needs to keep Coogler for as long as he is willing to stay.

My expectations were insanely high and Black Panther blew my expectations completely out of the water.

This. It's now #1 in my book above even The Winter Soldier.
Bootz2004

Postby Super K » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:16 am

MJW wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:We had Coming to America and nobody said ****. Why? Because the movie was good. Dats why.

This is the lord's truth. Were there any white people in Coming To America besides Louie Anderson? Drawing a blank. And I honestly don't remember it EVER being a talking point for anyone.

Of course, that was an era where we had a ton of primarily black shows and movies, and nobody cared. The Cosby Show, A Different World, Amen, 227, The Color Purple, Spike Lee's early stuff, Different Strokes...It was all great stuff (besides Different Strokes, which was dreadful) and nobody saw a need to make it more than that.

Whachoo talkin bout MJW? Different Strokes was a damn good show....

And, for what it's worth, it in no way shape or form should be grouped in with the others you mentioned...

The ONLY black characters/actors were Willis and Arnold...

Martin, In Living Color are better examples you could've used...
Super K

Postby Super K » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:21 am

Hmmmmm....I'm gonna temper any excitement about seeing it because this is the same kind of crap I heard about WW, and I though WW was meh...not BAD, but not some divine experience it was made out to be...

The trailers for BP made it look very techy...this may or may not match up with the comic, I don't really know, but I'm not a fan of it...Marvel did it with Spiderman too...almost like their entire universe is built around Tony Stark/Iron Man crap...
Super K

Postby RedLeader » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:34 am

terrytate wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:How dafuq you gonna have a buncha white dudes in a story about a prince from a nation in Africa?

OF COURSE IT'S A MOSTLY BLACK CAST!

We had Coming to America and nobody said ****. Why? Because the movie was good. Dats why.

Lol. That’s hilarious.
RedLeader

Postby MJW » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:05 am

Super K wrote:
MJW wrote:

And, for what it's worth, it in no way shape or form should be grouped in with the others you mentioned...

Fair enough, though I think of those as "90s" shows. I kind of forgot about the white family Arnold and Willis lived with when I typed that. They didn't really do much.
MJW

Postby Super K » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:43 am

MJW wrote:
Super K wrote:

Fair enough, though I think of those as "90s" shows. I kind of forgot about the white family Arnold and Willis lived with when I typed that. They didn't really do much.

Oh the shows I mentioned were definitely 90s shows, but "Coming to America" didn't come out until '88...

In Living Color came out in 1990, Martin in 1992...

Cosby Show started in 84, Amen in 86, 227 in 85..

Conversely Different Strokes started in 78...

Not that any of this has to do with anything lol...
Super K

Postby MJW » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:16 am

Super K wrote:
MJW wrote:

Oh the shows I mentioned were definitely 90s shows, but "Coming to America" didn't come out until '88...

In Living Color came out in 1990, Martin in 1992...

Cosby Show started in 84, Amen in 86, 227 in 85..

Conversely Different Strokes started in 78...

Not that any of this has to do with anything lol...

Different Strokes definitely had that 70s flavor.

Man, In Living Color was great. Along with Kids In The Hall, those were the first two sketch comedy shows I remember loving.

Anyway...it's all kind of relevant. Let us not forget the greatest black Superhero of them all:

Actually, now that I think about it, it WAS a predominantly black Superhero movie, well before Blade and most of the others.

But...ummmm....anyway.
MJW

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:25 am

MJW wrote:

Were there any white people in Coming To America besides Louie Anderson? Drawing a blank.

DreadNaught

Postby MJW » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:29 am

DreadNaught wrote:
MJW wrote: Were there any white people in Coming To America besides Louie Anderson? Drawing a blank.

I would thank this a thousand times if I could. Now excuse me, there's a problem with my soup. Taste it.
MJW

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:37 am

Teitan wrote:
terrytate wrote: it has a lot of hype for having a predominantly black cast.

This is what I don’t understand. What does the race of the actors have to do with how good a movie is?

It doesn't at all. Unfortunately some people are obsessed with race these days and are politicizing a comic book movie. I think it's great a predominantly black cast is going have an uber successful movie. But my motivation to watch it has nothing at all to do with what skin color the actors are. Like MB stated, it's freaking Black Panther and takes place in a fictional country in Africa so it would be odd to see a bunch of Asians or White folks in the movie.

But SJW twitter and the media (like a recent op-ed in the NYT) just cant help themselves when it comes to driving the race angle. Hell, I saw some older white lady comment on twitter how she wasn't going to attend opening weekend so that her white presence doesn't suck the "black joy" from the movie theater, and sincerely asked when would be the appropriate time for her to go. I thought it was satire, but it turns out she was sincere. Just complete nonsense.

It's going to be a great movie, so lets enjoy it. If it provides some type of inspiration for people in the process than that is usually a good thing.
DreadNaught

Postby terrytate » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:12 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
Teitan wrote:
This is what I don’t understand. What does the race of the actors have to do with how good a movie is?

It doesn't at all. Unfortunately some people are obsessed with race these days and are politicizing a comic book movie. I think it's great a predominantly black cast is going have an uber successful movie. But my motivation to watch it has nothing at all to do with what skin color the actors are. Like MB stated, it's freaking Black Panther and takes place in a fictional country in Africa so it would be odd to see a bunch of Asians or White folks in the movie.

But SJW twitter and the media (like a recent op-ed in the NYT) just cant help themselves when it comes to driving the race angle. Hell, I saw some older white lady comment on twitter how she wasn't going to attend opening weekend so that her white presence doesn't suck the "black joy" from the movie theater, and sincerely asked when would be the appropriate time for her to go. I thought it was satire, but it turns out she was sincere. Just complete nonsense.

It's going to be a great movie, so lets enjoy it. If it provides some type of inspiration for people in the process than that is usually a good thing.

I completely agree. However, I think this is a case of a smaller number of voices being exceptionally loud.

I want to see this movie because I think it's going to be exceptional. Race has no bearing. If someone wants to see more largely black casts in movies, keep making exceptional movies with those black casts and the rest will work itself out.
terrytate

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:17 pm

terrytate wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

I completely agree. However, I think this is a case of a smaller number of voices being exceptionally loud.

I want to see this movie because I think it's going to be exceptional. Race has no bearing. If someone wants to see more largely black casts in movies, keep making exceptional movies with those black casts and the rest will work itself out.

The fringes are always the loudest b/c they are most radical/polarizing and thus get the most clicks. Centrists are boring...

Anyways, got tickets for this Sunday's matinee showing. Can't wait to see it!!
DreadNaught

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:09 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Don't leave us hanging.

Story
Writing
Cinematography
Music
SFX

What's great about it?

Everything you listed is 5/5. The writing puts this movie on an entirely different level than previous Marvel films. I just spent 2.5 hours sitting with a group talking about the film. I cannot think of a single misstep with this one.

Characters: Fully fleshed our with motivations you understand and empathize with.

Villain: Marvel has never done a better villain. Never. This depth of villain is what they need to reach for every time.

Visuals: Attention to detail is astounding. Certain shots are just designed for an IMAX screen.

Directing: Ryan Coogler should win an award for what he just pulled off. When you sit back to look at what he did on such a large scale it’s astounding. Marvel needs to keep Coogler for as long as he is willing to stay.

My expectations were insanely high and Black Panther blew my expectations completely out of the water.

So it's pretty good, huh?
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Hit55 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:49 am

I have to go with PM and Bootz here. Black Panther is as close to perfection in an individual movie as Marvel has, or is probably going to come. I saw it last night and couldn't help but think THAT is how you tell a story. PM's breakdown is spot on. Thoroughly enjoyable. I would love to see it again.
Hit55

Postby Teitan » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:01 am

Finally got around to seeing Thor: Ragnarok. I liked it a good bit. Better than the last one and maybe even better than the first. Night and day different than those two. This one did so much more for moving the Thor world forward than the dark world did.
Teitan

Postby real bucs fan » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:38 am

I'm boycotting Black Panther...

****ing hate superhero movies. Rewatched Reservoir Dogs last night. Wanna know why they don't make movies like that anymore? Because these superhero blockbusters have killed the original screenplay.
real bucs fan

Postby PrimeMinister » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:39 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:

So it's pretty good, huh?

Yeah I’d say it’s alright.
PrimeMinister

Postby PrimeMinister » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:43 am

Hit55 wrote:I have to go with PM and Bootz here. Black Panther is as close to perfection in an individual movie as Marvel has, or is probably going to come. I saw it last night and couldn't help but think THAT is how you tell a story. PM's breakdown is spot on. Thoroughly enjoyable. I would love to see it again.

This.

Has Marvel screwed up how audiences will perceive their future films? For instance if Thanos is more like the standard Marvel villain (“I want to blow up the earth because...I’m evil”) will audiences still accept it after seeing an amazing villain in Killmonger?
PrimeMinister

Postby Teitan » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:25 pm

real bucs fan wrote:I'm boycotting Black Panther...

****ing hate superhero movies. Rewatched Reservoir Dogs last night. Wanna know why they don't make movies like that anymore? Because these superhero blockbusters have killed the original screenplay.

Ok.
Teitan

Postby uscbucsfan » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:10 pm

Thanks for that input... In the super hero thread...
uscbucsfan

Postby PrimeMinister » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:17 pm

Need attention huh?
PrimeMinister

Postby terrytate » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:56 am

Superhero movies are just the modern version of the cowboy movies from the 40's and 50's. They still made great original movies then, they still make great original movies now.
terrytate

Postby PrimeMinister » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:10 am

Today I’m headed to see Black Panther for the 3rd time with my family.
PrimeMinister

Postby DreadNaught » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:32 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:Today I’m headed to see Black Panther for the 3rd time with my family.

Casual... Make an effort. I know people that have been 3x each day!!!
DreadNaught

Postby PrimeMinister » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:15 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:Today I’m headed to see Black Panther for the 3rd time with my family.

Casual... Make an effort. I know people that have been 3x each day!!!

Screw you, k!ddo! My family budget doesn’t allow for daily 3x showings. Though if you see it less than 3x daily you’re definitely a casual.
PrimeMinister

Postby PrimeMinister » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:16 pm

Black Panther has made $192M so far and expected to close the weekend at $218M. Smashing records left and right. The MCU hit a home run with this one.
PrimeMinister

Postby beardmcdoug » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:23 pm

Cmon just tell us the reason reason you’re boycotting Black Panther...

There’s no running backs
beardmcdoug

Postby Phantom Phenom » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:26 pm

It's the second largest opening in the MCU, behind only The Avengers ($207.4m) (not counting holiday)
Phantom Phenom

Postby Caradoc » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:18 pm

MJW wrote:

Does Amos & Andy count?
Caradoc

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic