2020 Seminole Football

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
2020 Seminole Football

Postby beardmcdoug » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:45 pm

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27464007/taggart-names-blackman-seminoles-starting-qb

Blackman thinks he has a strong grasp of what new offensive coordinator Kendal Briles wants to run. Even though Blackman has had three offensive coordinators and varied schemes in his short career, he told reporters during preseason camp that he has an understanding of "what to do and when to do it and how to do it" when it comes to Briles' high-tempo spread offense.

And he's learning the scheme without a playbook. In fact, everyone is.

It's a new wrinkle for Florida State in 2019, something Taggart has embraced -- and so have the players.

"It's a great thing not having a playbook because you have to go and make sure you write up the plays by yourself," Blackman said. "And go study by yourself and make your own playbook. Guys are really putting in the work to learn and understand your job."

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

What the **** is going on in Tallahassee
beardmcdoug

Re: 2020 Seminole Football

Postby Deuce » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:11 am

I think it was two years ago now. FSU and UF were both looking for new head coaches. FSU went out and got the guy they wanted. First try, boom, new, awesome head coach.

UF on the other hand, someone here will remember better than me, but I believe they offered the job to two coaches that both turned it down. They had to go down on their list, and ended up with Dan Mullen. Everybody else was like "lol ok."

And now here we are, UF has spent plenty of time in the top 10, good recruiting classes, etc. And FSU has no hope until we get a new coach. Now, the UF athletics people definitely wanted someone other than Mullen, but it's one of those examples where what fans want doesn't always turn out best.

EDIT: Found it, turns out it was Chip Kelly and Scott Frost.
Deuce

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:32 am

I don't think many were excited about Taggart, though. It was more of a shock that they actually lost Fisher and wanted to get someone in ASAP.

I remember many saying he wasn't very prestigious enough. FSU really settled on a low end coach, etc.

You're right about Mullen, but I think it's too early to call him a success. Most don't believe they are a top 10 team right now. If he misses the SEC Championship again, people in Gainesville will start talking about him. If he doesn't make/win one in the next 2-3 years, he will likely be gone.
uscbucsfan

Postby NavyBuc » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:10 am

I think Taggart has to show something this year. I get giving a coach time and all, but if this year is an embarrassment, it's going to be like Charlie Strong in Texas and the boosters are going to pressure for a change. They have to get to a bowl game this year or I think there's going to be increasing pressure for a new coach.
NavyBuc

Postby Deuce » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:28 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:I don't think many were excited about Taggart, though. It was more of a shock that they actually lost Fisher and wanted to get someone in ASAP.

I remember many saying he wasn't very prestigious enough. FSU really settled on a low end coach, etc.

You're right about Mullen, but I think it's too early to call him a success. Most don't believe they are a top 10 team right now. If he misses the SEC Championship again, people in Gainesville will start talking about him. If he doesn't make/win one in the next 2-3 years, he will likely be gone.

I did see some comments around about people not liking Taggart but it was a minority, iirc. As someone who lives in Tally, I'd definitely say the majority were on board and excited.
Deuce

Postby Brazen331 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:05 pm

FSU’s AD stated that they were specifically looking for a minority coach. And true, most FSU fans had no problem with it at the time. Maybe next time they should be more concerned about finding the best person to run the program instead of making a political statement.
Brazen331

Postby MJW » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:25 pm

FSU fans, I have lots of questions about your forthcoming campaign:

- When will Taggart get fired?
- Should I bet on Taggard being the first coach fired?
- What if I can do better than the +1600 Vegas is offering?
- Is Taggart fired yet?
- What round should we draft Ricky Aguayo in next year?
MJW

Postby Noles1724 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:51 am

at the time of the hiring I was happy that we got someone quickly as I thought it would help save recruiting. I didn't have much knowledge on Willie but did like that he had experience (albeit very little) at running a major program.

my biggest fear was that we were going to take too long with the hiring process and set the program back. thankfully we didn't take long with the hire and still managed to set the program back.

I've heard some say "oh you have to give Willie time to get his guys for his scheme". Ok, that's valid I guess.. but what I saw last year was not an issue of personal. The play calling was just horrible and gimmicky as hell. I never said "damn these guys aren't capable of running these plays".. it was more of a "what was that? why would that be called? have we not figured out how to line up yet? why are these monkey's trying to F the football?"

I'm hoping that we have a horrible season so we can move on from this hire as quickly as possible. I'd hate to have a couple of subpar season that just prolongs the inevitable firing. rip the bandaid off and lets move forward.
Noles1724

Postby Brazen331 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:06 pm

Noles1724 wrote:at the time of the hiring I was happy that we got someone quickly as I thought it would help save recruiting. I didn't have much knowledge on Willie but did like that he had experience (albeit very little) at running a major program.

my biggest fear was that we were going to take too long with the hiring process and set the program back. thankfully we didn't take long with the hire and still managed to set the program back.

I've heard some say "oh you have to give Willie time to get his guys for his scheme". Ok, that's valid I guess.. but what I saw last year was not an issue of personal. The play calling was just horrible and gimmicky as hell. I never said "damn these guys aren't capable of running these plays".. it was more of a "what was that? why would that be called? have we not figured out how to line up yet? why are these monkey's trying to F the football?"

I'm hoping that we have a horrible season so we can move on from this hire as quickly as possible. I'd hate to have a couple of subpar season that just prolongs the inevitable firing. rip the bandaid off and lets move forward.

I don’t see that happening. Outside of the OL, the talent on the team is really not that bad and the schedule is the most favorable in years. I can FSU getting a bowl game this year and that will be improvement so they will keep him around.

Oh well, hopefully they debut a better backpack then that pink, pastel thing or whatever that was that the players would have to put on after a TO. Steal an idea from UM, just brilliant.
Brazen331

Postby uscbucsfan » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:54 pm

I thought Alabama started it with the "Ball out" belt in 2015.

Was the turnover chain before that?
uscbucsfan

Postby beardmcdoug » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:05 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:I thought Alabama started it with the "Ball out" belt in 2015.

All that crap is so cringe lol
beardmcdoug

Postby uscbucsfan » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:07 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:

Apparently the players love it, but the back pack was horrible and too far.
uscbucsfan

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:08 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:

It was neat when it was new. Just weird now. Played out.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby uscbucsfan » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:09 pm

The UGA shoulder pads are cringeworthy, too.
uscbucsfan

Postby bucfanclw » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:15 am

uscbucsfan wrote:
beardmcdoug wrote:

Apparently the players love it, but the back pack was horrible and too far.

I'm waiting for someone to introduce the "Power Pigtails" wig to compete with FSU's cute backpack.
bucfanclw

Postby Noles1724 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:24 am

Brazen331 wrote:
Noles1724 wrote:at the time of the hiring I was happy that we got someone quickly as I thought it would help save recruiting. I didn't have much knowledge on Willie but did like that he had experience (albeit very little) at running a major program.

the talent on the team is really not that bad.

Oh well, hopefully they debut a better backpack then that pink, pastel thing or whatever that was that the players would have to put on after a TO. Steal an idea from UM, just brilliant.

and that's why I'm not on the "give willie a chance to get his guys". the talent on the roster alone should have prevented the team looking like a high school JV squad.

the backpack as been axed (thank god)..read a article within the past couple of days saying how it would no longer be a thing.
Noles1724

Postby Buc You » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:11 am

bucfanclw wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:Apparently the players love it, but the back pack was horrible and too far.

I'm waiting for someone to introduce the "Power Pigtails" wig to compete with FSU's cute backpack.

Is that what they're giving the guy who had his ass ridden the hardest for four quarters? Going to be tough to pick a winner for that one this year.
Buc You

Postby beardmcdoug » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:39 am

beardmcdoug

Postby Noles1724 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:30 am

We have a turn over chain (hey the kids love it, leave me alone) but the problem is that it's always our "good" players that get the turnovers and they typically play both sides of the ball so they never get a chance to wear it.

Noles1724

Postby Buc You » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:39 am

I love that Trashessee uses a trash can. Could they be any more on the nose with their props?
Buc You

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:49 am

seeing as we know the Seminoles won't be playing a game in january, BMD don't you think the 2020 title is a bit early to talk about next year's team?

:drinkingcheers:
Zarniwoop

Postby TheChefO » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:17 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27464007/taggart-names-blackman-seminoles-starting-qb

Blackman thinks he has a strong grasp of what new offensive coordinator Kendal Briles wants to run. Even though Blackman has had three offensive coordinators and varied schemes in his short career, he told reporters during preseason camp that he has an understanding of "what to do and when to do it and how to do it" when it comes to Briles' high-tempo spread offense.

It's a new wrinkle for Florida State in 2019, something Taggart has embraced -- and so have the players.

"It's a great thing not having a playbook because you have to go and make sure you write up the plays by yourself," Blackman said. "And go study by yourself and make your own playbook. Guys are really putting in the work to learn and understand your job."

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

You just haven't seen how beautiful and Glorious this will be. The Playbook is a limiting construct which stifles creativity and individuality ... You'll see.
TheChefO

Postby Cheb » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:49 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27464007/taggart-names-blackman-seminoles-starting-qb

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Not to be that guy, but traditional playbooks are kinda... well, traditional. I haven't given out a playbook since I became a head coach.

I do however hand out wristbands like candy.
Cheb

Postby Brazen331 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:09 am

Cheb wrote:

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Not to be that guy, but traditional playbooks are kinda... well, traditional. I haven't given out a playbook since I became a head coach.

Enough room on those wristbands to write Spider 2 Y Banana?
Brazen331

Postby Cheb » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:57 am

Brazen331 wrote:
Cheb wrote:Not to be that guy, but traditional playbooks are kinda... well, traditional. I haven't given out a playbook since I became a head coach.

Enough room on those wristbands to write Spider 2 Y Banana?

Sure. My offense only has 8 formations and 32 concepts. Plenty of room for spiders
Cheb

Postby uscbucsfan » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:35 am

Cheb wrote:

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

But you do have plays.

99% of college/pro teams have "playbooks" (I'd say 100%, but I'm not sure what is really going on as FSU). They may not be on traditional books/binders, but they could be on wristbands or tablets. The article says "you make your own playbook" or "make your plays up yourself", if true is an outlier and a huge risk. Most great college QBs don't read a defense or call a play prior to the NFL. It's usually the biggest point of failure from college to pro.

So to give a college QB the ability to simply craft plays on the fly with some routes, blocking schemes, running back calls on his wristband would be an outlier.
uscbucsfan

Postby Brazen331 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:55 am

Noles1724 wrote:
Brazen331 wrote:
the talent on the team is really not that bad.

and that's why I'm not on the "give willie a chance to get his guys". the talent on the roster alone should have prevented the team looking like a high school JV squad.

the backpack as been axed (thank god)..read a article within the past couple of days saying how it would no longer be a thing.

My point is given team talent and favorable schedule 7 wins is probably the floor. They are not firing Willie if he wins 7 games and goes to a minor bowl. Next year he will win 8 games. That's how it's probably going to go. They brought in Briles to fix his offense this year and next year they will bring in whoever else is needed to make him succeed. It may not be possible to prop up WT but FSU will certainly try.

We'll see how they look on Saturday. There should be no dumb-ass procedural penalties with Briles running the offense now.
Brazen331

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:19 am

uscbucsfan wrote:
But you do have plays.

in high school, we played against Euclid (OH). They had one play and beat us 52 - 6. The play was "give the ball to Robert Smith and let him run wherever he wants".
Zarniwoop

Postby uscbucsfan » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:24 am

Zarniwoop wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:
But you do have plays.

in high school, we played against Euclid (OH). They had one play and beat us 52 - 6. The play was "give the ball to Robert Smith and let him run wherever he wants".

Fair point.

It's different in high school.
uscbucsfan

Postby Noles1724 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:25 am

my son's pop warner team got beat last week 38 - 12 by one formation, two plays.

wing-t, power run right/left and then a counter right/left.

when your team averages +20lbs per player, you run straight... and you win.
Noles1724

Next

Return to College Football/Draft Talk