With the first pick of the 2020 draft, the buccaneers select

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Re: With the first pick of the 2020 draft, the buccaneers se

Postby Snake » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:10 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:We don't have a shot at him or Tua realistically.

It’s time for us to dump Jameis and make our Julio/Trubisky/Mahomes/Darnold/RG3 trade up move to get one of them and move forward

This isn’t a bad idea tbh. Especially with the money we will have to fill holes via FA.
Snake

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:39 pm

Snake wrote:
beardmcdoug wrote:
It’s time for us to dump Jameis and make our Julio/Trubisky/Mahomes/Darnold/RG3 trade up move to get one of them and move forward

This isn’t a bad idea tbh. Especially with the money we will have to fill holes via FA.

I don't see the Dolphins or Bengals budging one damned bit.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Snake » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:41 pm

Right. But Washington picks second currently. And it’s feasible the Giants or someone else with a QB picks second at seasons end. So whichever QB goes #1 then a bidding war for pick 2.
Snake

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:04 pm

Snake wrote:Right. But Washington picks second currently. And it’s feasible the Giants or someone else with a QB picks second at seasons end. So whichever QB goes #1 then a bidding war for pick 2.

I can see the giants trading down. But you're going to have to talk Snyder out of whomever he has a hard on for.

That ain't gonna be cheap.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Nano » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:16 am

Sometimes you need to trade up to get who you want. We always complain about missing on the primer talent...but really, when's the last time we actually traded up in the draft? In the first round at least...we're always moving back. Probably Doug Martin in 2012, and that was at the end of the 1st round. Freeman in 09? ****, it's been awhile.
Nano

Postby mdb1958 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:50 am

I'd give in to two bad ass offensive tackles, if they are that is.
mdb1958

Postby MJW » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:54 am

Nano wrote:Sometimes you need to trade up to get who you want. We always complain about missing on the primer talent...but really, when's the last time we actually traded up in the draft? In the first round at least...we're always moving back. Probably Doug Martin in 2012, and that was at the end of the 1st round. Freeman in 09? ****, it's been awhile.

Unless I'm mistaken, our last BIG jump up was 2001. We moved up from 21 to 14 for Kenyatta Walker. We gave the Bills our 21st and 51st picks.

The really, really crappy part of that? We took Walker at 14. The next seven picks included future Hall Of Famer Steve Hutchinson, along with Santana Moss, Casey Hampton, Adam Archuleta, Nate Clements, and excellent NFL left tackle Jeff Backus.

The Bills took Clements, who had a great NFL career. The Bills would flip #51 to the Broncos, and end up taking Travis Henry.
MJW

Postby Cheb » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:01 pm

We currently are selected to pick 8th in the draft. And while we have some strengths to our roster, I am really okay with just going BPA.

Let's look at the guys in the top fifteen to twenty:

At quarterback, you have Tua, Burrow, and Herbert consistently in the top rankings of draftees for next year. Hate Jameis or tolerate him (because lets face it, who at this point loves the guy), anyone could understand if we went a different direction here. Feel free to add another QB or two here at your leisure.

Jerry Jeudy or CeeCee Lamb would give us the best three wideouts in football. Given our prevalence of three-receiver sets, they would basically be a starter. Not what I would do if it were my choice, but given that Perriman and Scotty Miller absolutely suck at football, I'd be okay with this.

Andrew Thomas is the consensus best offensive tackle in the draft. He would obviously be a huge get for us, likely taking over for Dotson. Any other top tackle would also be great value.

On the DL, Derrick Brown or Aj Epensa would immediately make us forget about missing Suh. Yetur Gross-Matos would be a great part of the rotation as well.

Kenneth Murray would be a peculiar choice at linebacker, given that we have LVD and White in the middle already. But he's a great player, so I'd get over it.

While we've spent a billion picks in the secondary lately, they're still the weak spot on the team, so I wouldn't cry too foul if we added more talent there. Jeff Okudah is the top corner in the draft; not the way I would go, but given our difficulties at corner I would understand. Paulson Adebo and Trevon Diggs aren't too far behind.

Meanwhile, Grant Delpit is the top safety in the draft, and he would be the kickass centerfielder this secondary desperately needs.

Unless we pick a running back , tight end, or linebacker, I don't think we can go wrong here.
Cheb

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:20 pm

Assuming we don't draft a QB in rd 1 (which I'd say there is atleast a 50/50 chance rn) I want;

OT Andrew Thomas or Safety Grant Delpit

Preferably Andrew Thomas since we'd plug him in as instant upgrade over Dotson at RT. I hate to bash Dotson b/c he's the longest tenured Buc but he's been the weak link on the Oline this year. We can't run to the right b/c of Dotson's futility as a run blocker and while he used to be an elite pass blocking RT he's been average at best this season.

Thomas would give us a powerful RT to bookend with Donovan Smith who along with all 3 interior guys are under contract in 2020. Drafting Thomas would also allow us to move on from Donovan Smith after next season if we wanted so we aren't put in position to overpay for him again. Just swap Thomas over to LT and look to the draft or FA for a new RT in 2021.

There is a DT out of South Carolina named Javon Kinlaw who I'm very high on also. Probably not a top 10 pick, but I doubt he falls to round 2.
DreadNaught

Postby The Outsider » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:30 pm

DreadNaught wrote:Assuming we don't draft a QB in rd 1 (which I'd say there is atleast a 50/50 chance rn) I want;

Preferably Andrew Thomas since we'd plug him in as instant upgrade over Dotson at RT. I hate to bash Dotson b/c he's the longest tenured Buc but he's been the weak link on the Oline this year. We can't run to the right b/c of Dotson's futility as a run blocker and while he used to be an elite pass blocking RT he's been average at best this season.

Thomas would give us a powerful RT to bookend with Donovan Smith who along with all 3 interior guys are under contract in 2020. Drafting Thomas would also allow us to move on from Donovan Smith after next season if we wanted so we aren't put in position to overpay for him again. Just swap Thomas over to LT and look to the draft or FA for a new RT in 2021.

There is a DT out of South Carolina named Javon Kinlaw who I'm very high on also. Probably not a top 10 pick, but I doubt he falls to round 2.

Eh, I'll always appreciate Dotson for what he did for the team. I'm pretty sure he was DL when he came out of college and we moved him to OT. And then at one point he was one of the better RTs in football for a little while. At this point though age has caught up to him, and he was never a physical freak in the first place aside from just being a huge dude.
The Outsider

Postby mdb1958 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:47 am

I sure hope they talk up these draft prospects because my reading of their pros and cons is making me depressed. Hopefully the hundreds of optimistic write ups that are going to happen will make me feel better.
mdb1958

Postby real bucs fan » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:22 am

The Outsider wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:Assuming we don't draft a QB in rd 1 (which I'd say there is atleast a 50/50 chance rn) I want;

Eh, I'll always appreciate Dotson for what he did for the team. I'm pretty sure he was DL when he came out of college and we moved him to OT. And then at one point he was one of the better RTs in football for a little while. At this point though age has caught up to him, and he was never a physical freak in the first place aside from just being a huge dude.

I hope we bring Dotson back to "compete" with whatever young OT we draft. He's taken alot of injuries... but could be a solid swing tackle for a year.
real bucs fan

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:26 am

real bucs fan wrote:
The Outsider wrote:

I hope we bring Dotson back to "compete" with whatever young OT we draft. He's taken alot of injuries... but could be a solid swing tackle for a year.

We could sign ANY UFA right tackle this offseason and get younger/cheaper/arguably better at the position.

Licht like to fill as many holes in FA as possible before drafting.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:37 am

real bucs fan wrote:I hope we bring Dotson back to "compete" with whatever young OT we draft. He's taken alot of injuries... but could be a solid swing tackle for a year.

Not me. Draft and get younger + better at the position. Dotson was a good Buc but it's time to move on.
DreadNaught

Postby Doctor » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:47 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:We could sign ANY UFA right tackle this offseason and get younger/cheaper/arguably better at the position.

I'll take dumbest lies fans tell themselves for $500, Alex.
Doctor

Postby real bucs fan » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:56 am

DreadNaught wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:I hope we bring Dotson back to "compete" with whatever young OT we draft. He's taken alot of injuries... but could be a solid swing tackle for a year.

Not me. Draft and get younger + better at the position. Dotson was a good Buc but it's time to move on.

You need a vet to compete with the draftee... Dot can be that guy, we know he's a selfless guy and good locker room presence. Meh.
real bucs fan

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:57 am

Doctor wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:We could sign ANY UFA right tackle this offseason and get younger/cheaper/arguably better at the position.

I'll take dumbest lies fans tell themselves for $500, Alex.

Mountaineer Buc

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:00 am

real bucs fan wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

You need a vet to compete with the draftee...

Not if we draft Andrew Thomas :P
DreadNaught

Postby real bucs fan » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:01 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:You need a vet to compete with the draftee...

Not if we draft Andrew Thomas :P

You think Thomas slips to the 32nd pick???
real bucs fan

Postby Nano » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:02 pm

Couple of mocks have mentioned it, but apparently our scouts(and anonymous sources lol) really like Oregon QB Justin Herbert
Nano

Postby Teitan » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:05 pm

Nano wrote:Couple of mocks have mentioned it, but apparently our scouts(and anonymous sources lol) really like Oregon QB Justin Herbert

Well, time to deep dive.
Teitan

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:34 pm

If Jameis crashes and burns down the stretch, I could get down with Herbert. He's a bit boom/bust, but that's partly why he could be had outside the top 5.
real bucs fan

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:36 pm

Nano wrote:Couple of mocks have mentioned it, but apparently our scouts(and anonymous sources lol) really like Oregon QB Justin Herbert

If the Bucs are going to draft a QB in rd 1 I think Herbert is much more realistic of an option than Tua or Burrow.

I haven't seen much of Herbert outside of the Auburn game and a few highlights. But he seems to have good size, arm, and athleticism. So that's a good start.
DreadNaught

Postby uscbucsfan » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:39 pm

DreadNaught wrote:

If the Bucs are going to draft a QB in rd 1 I think Herbert is much more realistic of an option than Tua or Burrow.

I haven't seen much of Herbert outside of the Auburn game and a few highlights. But he seems to have good size, arm, and athleticism. So that's a good start.

He's been pretty limited at Oregon. They don't trust him when the game is on the line to throw it further than 5 yards it seems. They would rather run or a short pass/screen.

I think MJW put it pretty well outside of the comparison, because he's more talented than people thought Lynch was pre-draft.

MJW wrote:
I can only speak for myself, but:

- Very Robotic
- Struggles when he has to operate outside the design of the play
- He'll hit an open receiver, but he doesn't throw with much anticipation
- Very high cut, combined with a high release point = injuries
- And the usual questions one has about a QB coming out of an offense like that

You know who he reminds me of a ton?

Watch Herbert at Oregon and Lynch at Memphis. Herbert has a better arm. Lynch is a bit more athletic. But they're incredibly similar.

He could develop into a monster, but I haven't been super impressed watching him at Oregon.
uscbucsfan

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:44 pm

Herbert is definitely boom/bust, but he certainly is an excellent piece of clay if you trust your evaluators and coaching staff. The floor might be Lynch, but the upside is Carson Wentz.
real bucs fan

Postby Doctor » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:13 pm

What I hate when talking QBs is that we treat everything as if it's in a vacuum.

There are so many QBs that could Mahommes out on the league after being groomed for awhile, but never get to because they are thrown in right away before being old news. If Rodgers was put in day 1 his career could look a lot like Josh Rosen's right now and vise versa. Sure, we like to hero-worship, especially in sports, and we like thinking some players just "have it" and others "don't" and that's just that, but that's not real life.

I really like Herbert, if we can sign like a Dalton or something for a while. But if we're planning on throwing Herbert in week 1, I do not see that going well.
Doctor

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:37 pm

Doctor wrote:What I hate when talking QBs is that we treat everything as if it's in a vacuum.

There are so many QBs that could Mahommes out on the league after being groomed for awhile, but never get to because they are thrown in right away before being old news. If Rodgers was put in day 1 his career could look a lot like Josh Rosen's right now and vise versa. Sure, we like to hero-worship, especially in sports, and we like thinking some players just "have it" and others "don't" and that's just that, but that's not real life.

I really like Herbert, if we can sign like a Dalton or something for a while. But if we're planning on throwing Herbert in week 1, I do not see that going well.

I agree Herbert is not a guy you throw in there week 1, maybe not even year 1. Which makes me wonder again whether it would be better to just go all in and tank for Trevor Lawrence at that point.
real bucs fan

Postby Snake » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:39 pm

Doctor wrote:There are so many QBs that could Mahommes out on the league after being groomed for awhile, but never get to because they are thrown in right away before being old news..

I don’t agree with this. Sitting the bench doesn’t fix what makes most NFL QBs suck imo

Andy Reid also turned McNabb (who had pedigree) into a 6x pro bowler. It’s doubtful Mahomes would do what he’s doing on many other teams under different tutelage. But that’s neither here nor there. He’s a absolutely tremendous talent but Reid provides an inflation.
Snake

Postby uscbucsfan » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:45 pm

Snake wrote:
Doctor wrote:There are so many QBs that could Mahommes out on the league after being groomed for awhile, but never get to because they are thrown in right away before being old news..

I don’t agree with this at all. Andy Reid also turned McNabb (who had pedigree) into a 6x pro bowler. It’s doubtful Mahomes would do what he’s doing on many other teams under different tutelage. But that’s neither here nor there.

He’s a absolutely tremendous talent but Reid provides an inflation.

Agreed. Saying "there's so many QBs that could be Mahoommes" is ridiculous, illogical statement, but can't be proven because so many are started in their first season due to necessity.

Mahommes is super talented, but he went to the 2nd best coach in the NFL and had a team was built to be in the playoffs already.
uscbucsfan

Postby mdb1958 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:20 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
Snake wrote:I don’t agree with this at all. Andy Reid also turned McNabb (who had pedigree) into a 6x pro bowler. It’s doubtful Mahomes would do what he’s doing on many other teams under different tutelage. But that’s neither here nor there.

He’s a absolutely tremendous talent but Reid provides an inflation.

Agreed. Saying "there's so many QBs that could be Mahoommes" is ridiculous, illogical statement, but can't be proven because so many are started in their first season due to necessity.

Mahommes is super talented, but he went to the 2nd best coach in the NFL and had a team was built to be in the playoffs already.

60,000 quarterback dreams killed every year for 5 to 8 prospects that might and prolly will suck.
mdb1958

PreviousNext

Return to College Football/Draft Talk