Jimbo Fisher

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Jimbo Grabs Players Helmet

Coach has to control his players
7%
I'm good with it
36%
Not really justified
36%
Not in 2018
21%

Total votes : 14

Jimbo Fisher

Postby Crocaneers » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:14 am

If you haven't seen the video, do your Google best.

Summary: He gets in a players face and grabs his helmet and shakes his head.
Crocaneers

Re: Jimbo Fisher

Postby NavyBuc » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:26 am

I've seen the video. I see nothing wrong with it. Bear Bryant used to do things 10x worse. Lou Holtz did it all the time at Notre Dame. I've seen other coaches do it, too. Even Aaron Rodgers came out and said there's nothing wrong with it. But hey, we live in a world today where you can't touch a quarterback without getting a flag so things have changed. But if you're an old school guy, what he did was perfectly fine.
NavyBuc

Postby Super K » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:44 am

If we had more of this and less boo-hooing players I think there'd be less BS on and off the field...

Behind my Dad, the most respected man in my life was/is my HS football coach...his hand yanked my facemask a hundred times if he yanked it once...
Super K

Postby MJW » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:39 am

NavyBuc wrote:I've seen the video. I see nothing wrong with it. Bear Bryant used to do things 10x worse. Lou Holtz did it all the time at Notre Dame. I've seen other coaches do it, too. Even Aaron Rodgers came out and said there's nothing wrong with it. But hey, we live in a world today where you can't touch a quarterback without getting a flag so things have changed. But if you're an old school guy, what he did was perfectly fine.

Bear Bryant also refused to recruit black players at one point. Things change. Lots of ways to demonstrate your authority without putting your hands on a kid who can't knock you on your ass for doing so. If Jimbo can't think of any, that's on him.
MJW

Postby Bootz2004 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:40 am

I wish coaches did this more. Sometimes these guys can’t control themselves and need someone to do it for them.
Bootz2004

Postby Zarniwoop » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:06 am

not my style...but if that's what he wants to do no biggie to me
Zarniwoop

Postby NavyBuc » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:02 pm

MJW wrote:
NavyBuc wrote:I've seen the video. I see nothing wrong with it. Bear Bryant used to do things 10x worse. Lou Holtz did it all the time at Notre Dame. I've seen other coaches do it, too. Even Aaron Rodgers came out and said there's nothing wrong with it. But hey, we live in a world today where you can't touch a quarterback without getting a flag so things have changed. But if you're an old school guy, what he did was perfectly fine.

Bear Bryant also refused to recruit black players at one point. Things change. Lots of ways to demonstrate your authority without putting your hands on a kid who can't knock you on your ass for doing so. If Jimbo can't think of any, that's on him.

Grabbing someone by the facemask, to me, isn't all that big a deal. It's not like he pulled a Bobby Knight and grabbed him by the neck. While this got noteriety, if you watch the sidelines, a lot of coaches do it. Maybe not the head coaches, but the position coaches.
NavyBuc

Postby Cheb » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:36 pm

It depends on the context of the grab.

"You will call me sir, goddammit!" That's out of line.

"Pay attention when I'm talking to you!" A bit aggressive, but okay.

"Call me that again, you coward." Absolutely justified.
Cheb

Postby Babeinbucland » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:01 pm

Coaches putting their hands on players is a failure of self control, imagination and completely and totally inappropriate. It should be a penalty
Babeinbucland

Postby Defense5599 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:25 am

MJW wrote:

One of my high school assistant coaches smacked me in my helmet one time for missing a snap count. I responded by trucking him. A scuffle ensued between me and him broken up by the rest of the coaching staff and a few players. I then was made to run the bleachers by my head coach twice. Afterwards, I was called into the office for a three person meeting between me, the head coach, and the assistant who hit me and we cleared the air. The assistant coach appreciated me standing up and fighting, which is the mentality you have to have as a defensive player.
TAMPAAAAAAAAAA!!!! BAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!
Defense5599

Postby Kress » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:46 am

Defense5599 wrote:
MJW wrote:Bear Bryant also refused to recruit black players at one point. Things change. Lots of ways to demonstrate your authority without putting your hands on a kid who can't knock you on your ass for doing so. If Jimbo can't think of any, that's on him.

One of my high school assistant coaches smacked me in my helmet one time for missing a snap count. I responded by trucking him. A scuffle ensued between me and him broken up by the rest of the coaching staff and a few players. I then was made to run the bleachers by my head coach twice. Afterwards, I was called into the office for a three person meeting between me, the head coach, and the assistant who hit me and we cleared the air. The assistant coach appreciated me standing up and fighting, which is the mentality you have to have as a defensive player.

You're talking about high school. What do you think happens if this guy trucks Jimbo Freaking Fisher on national TV? Hint: Running bleachers is not one of the available choices.

I lean toward MJW with this one. Don't get me wrong, I don't see anything wrong with a grab or whatever in context and within reason. But its a thing because its a lopsided equation. They player can't do anything in response. Analogize it to police brutality. Did the criminal standing there with his hands up do something stupid? Sure. But can the officer just freely tee off on him knowing that the guy can't fight back? Shitty analogy, I guess, but you get the point.
Kress

Postby Noles1724 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:44 am

so my neighbor returned a KO for a TD so that's pretty cool. was committed to FSU but was more committed to Jimbo.. and the A&M facilities.

Noles1724

Postby Super K » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:12 pm

That's awesome man!....
Super K

Postby MJW » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:59 am

Bootz2004 wrote:I wish coaches did this more. Sometimes these guys can’t control themselves and need someone to do it for them.

You go ahead and encourage authority figures grab YOUR kids when they feel like it, Bootz. I'll pass on that one.

Ironic you say, "these guys can't control themselves" and you're NOT talking about the grown man putting his hands on a 19 year old who isn't allowed to fight back. I'd say Jimbo is the person in this scenario who can't control himself.
MJW

Postby MJW » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:05 am

Kress wrote:
Defense5599 wrote:

You're talking about high school. What do you think happens if this guy trucks Jimbo Freaking Fisher on national TV? Hint: Running bleachers is not one of the available choices.

I lean toward MJW with this one. Don't get me wrong, I don't see anything wrong with a grab or whatever in context and within reason. But its a thing because its a lopsided equation. They player can't do anything in response. Analogize it to police brutality. Did the criminal standing there with his hands up do something stupid? Sure. But can the officer just freely tee off on him knowing that the guy can't fight back? Shitty analogy, I guess, but you get the point.

Also, it's a really stupid mentality we have where the authority figure who puts his hands on the guy who can't fight back is "tough" or "old school" or "manly."

I can't think of anything more cowardly or pathetic than seeing someone who you KNOW isn't allowed to defend himself and putting hands on him.

This is the kind of dumbass fake-alpha nonsense that puts some kid in a box from heatstroke every season. And like Kress says, it's the same mentality that fuels police brutality.
MJW

Postby Buc2 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:29 am

Growing up, all adults were authority figures and any one of them could/would grab hold of a kid doing something they weren't supposed to be doing. Then, when the kid got home, he'd get his ass beat for being a dumbass and doing something that required another adult to step up. Looking at the video, big f'ing deal. Go back to your safe place, MJW.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Return to College Football/Draft Talk