College Football Playoff Selection

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
College Football Playoff Selection

Postby Phantom Phenom » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:16 pm

2018-2019 College Football Playoff Schedule

College Football Playoff National Championship

Monday, January 7th, 2019

Levi’s Stadium, Santa Clara, CA

CFP vs. CFP

Goodyear Cotton Bowl

Saturday, December 29th, 2018

AT&T Stadium, Arlington, TX

CFP vs. CFP

Orange Bowl

Saturday, December 29th, 2018

Hard Rock Stadium, Miami, FL

CFP vs. CFP

Final four prediction

1.Alabama
2.Washington
3.Wisconsin
4.Notre Dame

5. West Virginia
6. Michigan
Phantom Phenom

Re: College Football Playoff Selection

Postby Super K » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:19 pm

Bama
ND
Wisky
West Virginny
Super K

Postby uscbucsfan » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:41 pm

I think anyone leaving Clemson out is crazy. They have the easiest road and they are better than they were last year on paper. 43 out of 43 "experts" picked Clemson last week. They can easily drop a game and they'll still get in.
uscbucsfan

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:56 pm

Alabama
Clemson
Penn State
Washington
Zarniwoop

Postby NavyBuc » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:28 am

One week in. I'll change throughout the year, but as of now, I'll go with:
Alabama
Clemson
Wisconsin
Oklahoma

I was tempted to say ND, but their schedule is brutal. I don't see them escaping with only one loss. They've got Stanford, Florida State, Va. Tech, NW, BC and USC, some of those on the road. They could end up with 7 ranked teams on their schedule before the year is out.
NavyBuc

Postby Zarniwoop » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:02 am

So if you had to pick 4 today who would they be?

1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Ohio State
4. Notre Dame
Zarniwoop

Postby NavyBuc » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:37 am

NavyBuc wrote:One week in. I'll change throughout the year, but as of now, I'll go with:
Alabama
Clemson
Wisconsin
Oklahoma

I was tempted to say ND, but their schedule is brutal. I don't see them escaping with only one loss. They've got Stanford, Florida State, Va. Tech, NW, BC and USC, some of those on the road. They could end up with 7 ranked teams on their schedule before the year is out.

Damn I feel like an idiot for picking Wisconsin. And ND is better than I thought and their schedule not as tough as I thought. Georgia is a top-4 team but they're about to go through a very rough gauntlet and will lose at least 2. So my final 4 predictions as of 10/7:

1) Alabama
2) Ohio State
3) Notre Dame
4) Clemson
NavyBuc

Postby Super K » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:58 am

Super K wrote:Bama
ND
Wisky
West Virginny

Sub the Buckeyes for the Badgers and I'll stick with the rest of my picks....
Super K

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:14 pm

Will Grier threw 3 ints in the red zone yesterday. I dunno if WVU has enough to win the B12
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Teitan » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:28 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:So if you had to pick 4 today who would they be?

1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Ohio State
4. UCF
Teitan

Postby uscbucsfan » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:31 pm

Teitan wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:So if you had to pick 4 today who would they be?

1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Ohio State
4. UCF

UCF Needs Notre Dame to lose a game and a little more help beyond that. An undefeated ND means UCF has 0 chance unless the SEC, BIG 10, or ACC champ end up with 2 loses.
uscbucsfan

Postby Cheb » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:13 pm

If UCF makes the playoffs, someone had better put Scott Frost on suicide watch.
Cheb

Postby NavyBuc » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:52 pm

Yeah, Notre Dame is UCF's biggest enemy right now. If the Irish win out.....and I think they will........UCF would need a scenario in which Clemson loses, Georgia loses twice, Washington loses again and Oklahoma loses again. Would take a lot, but not impossible. Of course, that's assuming Bama, Ohio State and ND stay on their current path.
NavyBuc

Postby Super K » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:32 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:Will Grier threw 3 ints in the red zone yesterday. I dunno if WVU has enough to win the B12

They were quality interceptions though, so no harm no foul...
Super K

Postby Nano » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:04 pm

Super K wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Will Grier threw 3 ints in the red zone yesterday. I dunno if WVU has enough to win the B12

They were quality interceptions though, so no harm no foul...

Quality losses for the offense
Nano

Postby Crocaneers » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:47 pm

So help me if ND wins out and plays in a playoff game.. I may never watch again

I desperately feel you HAVE to be in a conference. It's not even close to being fair to ride some indy pick your own schedule.

I know the 8 conference playoff is a pipe dream, yet I still maintain its the answer and will keep dreaming.

UCF was really hurt last year but they played their schedule.

The ND bias is horrible and needs rectifying
Crocaneers

Postby Nano » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:22 pm

It's not like Notre Dame is only playing cupcakes from the Group of 5. If they go undefeated this year(which is what it will likely require to get in), they'll have beaten teams like Michigan, Stanford, Virginia Tech, and USC(Not to mention other decent teams like Northwestern and Syracuse). They'll face 2 teams all year that aren't Power 5(Ball St and Navy)
Nano

Postby NavyBuc » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:36 am

Yeah this Notre Dame team is a top-4 team. If we want to talk schedules, Clemson should be the one more worried.
They may go through the entire season playing not one ranked team on their schedule when all is said and done. ACC is hurting this year.
NavyBuc

Postby uscbucsfan » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:18 am

It's a double edged sword for ND. They play a difficult schedule and if they win out they are in, but without a conference championship game 1 loss basically eliminates them in a normal year.

I'm not sure why they'd have to be in a conference when they play such a stacked schedule every year.
uscbucsfan

Postby uscbucsfan » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:20 am

NavyBuc wrote:Yeah this Notre Dame team is a top-4 team. If we want to talk schedules, Clemson should be the one more worried.
They may go through the entire season playing not one ranked team on their schedule when all is said and done. ACC is hurting this year.

If they drop a game, they should worry, but an undefeated Clemson is a top 2 seed.

I said the ACC was trash before the season.
uscbucsfan

Postby uscbucsfan » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:28 am

Also, I don't think ND is a great team this year. They are a really really good team, but would be a 10+ point dog to Bama, Clemson, UGA, or OSU.

I'd probably picked UCF to beat them, too.
uscbucsfan

Postby Super K » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:48 am

uscbucsfan wrote:Also, I don't think ND is a great team this year. They are a really really good team, but would be a 10+ point dog to Bama, Clemson, UGA, or OSU.

Everyone would be a 10pt dog to Bama...

But I've seen nothing from Clemson, UGA and OSU that would make them favorites over ND and that defense...and with Book coming around, the offense is getting scarier by the week...

GTFOH with that UCF over ND talk...
Super K

Postby uscbucsfan » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:21 am

Super K wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:Also, I don't think ND is a great team this year. They are a really really good team, but would be a 10+ point dog to Bama, Clemson, UGA, or OSU.

Everyone would be a 10pt dog to Bama...

But I've seen nothing from Clemson, UGA and OSU that would make them favorites over ND and that defense...and with Book coming around, the offense is getting scarier by the week...

GTFOH with that UCF over ND talk...

I think UCF could outscore ND and win, but they wouldn't be a favorite.

Maybe it's a difference of opinion, but I think UGA and Clemson would KILL ND...I think UGA is as far from ND as Bama looks from everyone else.

Clemson with TL is playing is about as good of an offense as there is in the country. Etienne is a monster and they have by far the best dline in the country.

I've only watch OSU once, so I can't argue that.
uscbucsfan

Postby Kress » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:40 am

Do you think that we could end up with 4 undefeateds up there? This is lining up as a strange year that way.
Kress

Postby uscbucsfan » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:52 am

Kress wrote:Do you think that we could end up with 4 undefeateds up there? This is lining up as a strange year that way.

I think it's a possibility for 5.

In order of likeliness, IMO:

ND should win out. USCw isn't very good.

Clemson doesn't play anyone else and they've already had their "Clemson" game that they eeked out, but if they do...even to Miami in the ACC Championship, I think the ACC is out.

UCF only has USF and I mean anything can happen, but they should win that game.

Alabama is by far the most dominant and talented team in the country. They also have the most difficult slate of remaining games. They have LSU, Auburn, Miss State, and UGA remaining...That's brutal, but the committee does weight the SEC and Bama above all else. Any other Bama team I'd say they slip up and lose 1, but this really looks like it could be one of the most talented teams of all time. We'll see in 2 weeks.

OSU has Michigan and potentially Wisconsin remaining. Bama's schedule suggest they should be in they should be in this least likely undefeated spot, but I think their talent will overcome. I'll have to see how Michigan fares against Wisc and Pen State, but I say there is a good chance OSU finishes undefeated as well.
uscbucsfan

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:25 am

Some quick responses

--though I hate to admit it, ND seems the real deal this year and if they run the table they certainly deserve a top 4 ranking...their schedule is just as good, if not better, than most P5 teams' schedules (when I say real deal, it means I think they can play with anyone except Alabama)

--if ND loses a game, not playing in a conference championship can definitely hurt them....at the same time, it can help them if the "wrong" teams win their conference championships.

--Bama is so far superior to every other team...I can't recall a year when #2 was so far behind #1

--just like last year, an undefeated UCF won't get in ahead of any one loss major conference champion

--I don't see five major undefeated teams at the end of the year (P5, ND)...maybe 3? I think CO, WV and OSU are going to lose. I'd give ND 50/50 shot. I think its more likely than not Clem and Bama run the table.
Zarniwoop

Postby uscbucsfan » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:30 am

Zarniwoop wrote:--I don't see five major undefeated teams at the end of the year (P5, ND)...maybe 3? I think CO, WV and OSU are going to lose. I'd give ND 50/50 shot. I think its more likely than not Clem and Bama run the table.

I forgot about WV.
uscbucsfan

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:23 am

uscbucsfan wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:--I don't see five major undefeated teams at the end of the year (P5, ND)...maybe 3? I think CO, WV and OSU are going to lose. I'd give ND 50/50 shot. I think its more likely than not Clem and Bama run the table.

I forgot about WV.

Most people do.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby NavyBuc » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:24 pm

Other than Alabama and maybe Georgia who I'd call great, I'd say Notre Dame could beat any other team on any given day. Reason being is they have a defense to go with that offense. They've got a lot of talent on both sides of the ball. Guys that are definitely NFL talent. But also outside of Bama/Georgia, there aren't any other great teams. Ohio State has some big holes on that defense and I think ND and even UCF could go up and down the field on them. Hell, Indiana did it on Saturday. Alabama could put up half-a-hundred on the Buckeyes. And while Clemson looked good on Saturday vs. Wake Forest, offensively they haven't looked sharp this year at all. They looked bad vs. Texas A&M and Syracuse, two games they barely escaped.

Can't really comment much on UCF because they haven't really played anyone. It's hard to judge them against a team like ND who's beaten 3 ranked teams already, two of them in blowouts. UCF needs competition to prove themselves. You can't say they'd beat ND based on victories over SMU and FAU and other similar cupcakes.
NavyBuc

Postby NavyBuc » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:32 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
NavyBuc wrote:Yeah this Notre Dame team is a top-4 team. If we want to talk schedules, Clemson should be the one more worried.

If they drop a game, they should worry, but an undefeated Clemson is a top 2 seed.

I said the ACC was trash before the season.

If they drop a game, they're out. Same goes for Clemson. Disagree about an undefeated Clemson being a 2-seed unless there's no other undefeateds. Clemson just doesn't have the schedule this year and they have not looked right. They should have lost to Texas A&M and Syracuse (and yes, they were getting beat bad by Syracuse before Lawrence went out). I actually think Clemson may go down to NC State in a couple weeks.
NavyBuc

Next

Return to College Football/Draft Talk