Rank the College Conferences

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Rank the College Conferences

Postby Kress » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:49 am

This gets sprinkled in to various threads, but state your pre-season case here. We can come back later on and see if things shape up like you think they're going to.

Me:

1. B1G. It seems to be everyone's consensus pick, and for good reason. Wisconsin has been threatening the playoffs recently, and this may be the year that they get in. Their only problem is dealing with their own conference. Penn State is the talk of many media "experts," Michigan looks to be there as well, if only they could ever beat Ohio State who is also there. Iowa is no joke, and neither is Michigan State. It's telling when you blow off Nebraska and Northwestern as your conference's also-rans. Top to bottom, just a rough group to play with.

2. SEC. I was tempted to go ACC here, but it has too much of a drop behind Clemson. The SEC has almost the same top-heavy issue, but at least it's two at the top as opposed to the ACC's one. Alabama and Georgia. What else is new. They're still there, and Generalissimo Fancisco Franco is still dead. Behind them Auburn has a shot, but then it starts rolling downhill to LSU, Texas A&M, Florida, etc. The "conference" may not be as top to bottom strong as the B1G, but they will still not only be in the playoff, but be very well represented there.

3. ACC. As I alluded to, it's Clemson and then everyone else. Those "everyone else" teams are no joke, and any one of several could upset the apple cart and take it from Clemson. But I still see a divide there. So with Clemson up top, the ACC has Miami back, FSU perhaps maybe sort of back(ish), and then Virginia Tech, Louisville, and even North Carolina are for real. It's a decent conference overall.

4. Big 12. Pretty much the same as they have been in the recent past, a middle of the pack Power conference. I have my money on WVU this year, TCU has been flirting with it of late, and both Kansas State and Oklahoma State look to be good - probably more so Kansas State. I think that they'll do well, and am pulling for WVU to get a conference win and the 4-seed playoff berth.

5. Pac 12. What can I say. They're fun to watch, but that may just be because they provide the only late games when you are jonesing for more football on a Saturday night. They play well against each other, but almost as a general rule tend to get smoked by anyone and everyone else come bowl season. I just can't get excited here. Washington, Stanford, Oregon? It's a big "meh" to me, so they get the bottom of the top 5, and by the skin of their teeth at that. (I should go back and say that WVU gets into the playoff by the skin of their collective tooth).

6. AAC. UCF and USF baby! Seriously, they are the bunch of pesky gnats that keep invading the Power Picnic. The pain in the asses of college football. They keep popping up and smacking people in the mouth, and despite being generally looked down upon, the scrappy bastards come out on top more often than not. The problem there, though, is that this is a conference poll. With this group, the limitation is that there is a pain-in-the-ass du jour. One team, or maybe two, will show up any given season, and then sink back down and let another take a crack at it the next year. So they may throw a team in the mix, but as a conference they can't match the top 5.

7-10. It's interchangeable from there. Like the AAC's little brothers. As conferences go, they're hot garbage, but any single team can pop up now and then.
Kress

Re: Rank the College Conferences

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:52 am

Speaking objectively...

1) S-E-C!
2) S-E-C!
3) S-E-C!
4) S-E-C!
5) S-E-C!

DreadNaught

Postby Cheb » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:05 am

B1G

And then everyone else.
Cheb

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:02 am

I'm with Kress's rankings.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:03 am

Kress wrote:This gets sprinkled in to various threads, but state your pre-season case here. We can come back later on and see if things shape up like you think they're going to.

Me:

1. B1G. It seems to be everyone's consensus pick, and for good reason. Wisconsin has been threatening the playoffs recently, and this may be the year that they get in. Their only problem is dealing with their own conference. Penn State is the talk of many media "experts," Michigan looks to be there as well, if only they could ever beat Ohio State who is also there. Iowa is no joke, and neither is Michigan State. It's telling when you blow off Nebraska and Northwestern as your conference's also-rans. Top to bottom, just a rough group to play with.

2. SEC. I was tempted to go ACC here, but it has too much of a drop behind Clemson. The SEC has almost the same top-heavy issue, but at least it's two at the top as opposed to the ACC's one. Alabama and Georgia. What else is new. They're still there, and Generalissimo Fancisco Franco is still dead. Behind them Auburn has a shot, but then it starts rolling downhill to LSU, Texas A&M, Florida, etc. The "conference" may not be as top to bottom strong as the B1G, but they will still not only be in the playoff, but be very well represented there.

3. ACC. As I alluded to, it's Clemson and then everyone else. Those "everyone else" teams are no joke, and any one of several could upset the apple cart and take it from Clemson. But I still see a divide there. So with Clemson up top, the ACC has Miami back, FSU perhaps maybe sort of back(ish), and then Virginia Tech, Louisville, and even North Carolina are for real. It's a decent conference overall.

4. Big 12. Pretty much the same as they have been in the recent past, a middle of the pack Power conference. I have my money on WVU this year, TCU has been flirting with it of late, and both Kansas State and Oklahoma State look to be good - probably more so Kansas State. I think that they'll do well, and am pulling for WVU to get a conference win and the 4-seed playoff berth.

5. Pac 12. What can I say. They're fun to watch, but that may just be because they provide the only late games when you are jonesing for more football on a Saturday night. They play well against each other, but almost as a general rule tend to get smoked by anyone and everyone else come bowl season. I just can't get excited here. Washington, Stanford, Oregon? It's a big "meh" to me, so they get the bottom of the top 5, and by the skin of their teeth at that. (I should go back and say that WVU gets into the playoff by the skin of their collective tooth).

6. AAC. UCF and USF baby! Seriously, they are the bunch of pesky gnats that keep invading the Power Picnic. The pain in the asses of college football. They keep popping up and smacking people in the mouth, and despite being generally looked down upon, the scrappy bastards come out on top more often than not. The problem there, though, is that this is a conference poll. With this group, the limitation is that there is a pain-in-the-ass du jour. One team, or maybe two, will show up any given season, and then sink back down and let another take a crack at it the next year. So they may throw a team in the mix, but as a conference they can't match the top 5.

7-10. It's interchangeable from there. Like the AAC's little brothers. As conferences go, they're hot garbage, but any single team can pop up now and then.

I'm pretty much with this. BIG is deeper but Bama is more likely to win the championship than any BIG team.
Zarniwoop

Postby Buc2 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:16 pm

Can't really argue with Kress's take. I tend to agree with most every point he made. The bottom might be the only switch I could see...meaning I could see the AAC move up over PAC 12. I honestly think, head-to-head, the AAC could come out ahead at the end of the day. Navy is always tough. Houston and Memphis have both been playing well the last couple years. Cincinnati dropped off, but look to be rebounding somewhat. But, yeah. The top half looks about right. B1G, SEC, ACC, Big 12.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby uscbucsfan » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:58 pm

Buc2 wrote:Can't really argue with Kress's take. I tend to agree with most every point he made. The bottom might be the only switch I could see...meaning I could see the AAC move up over PAC 12. I honestly think, head-to-head, the AAC could come out ahead at the end of the day. Navy is always tough. Houston and Memphis have both been playing well the last couple years. Cincinnati dropped off, but look to be rebounding somewhat. But, yeah. The top half looks about right. B1G, SEC, ACC, Big 12.

I think that's crazy. People underrate the PAC 12 due to their location.

I also think the ACC outside of Clemson and after a huge drop off Miami, the rest is pretty bad.
uscbucsfan

Postby Buc2 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:19 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
Buc2 wrote:Can't really argue with Kress's take. I tend to agree with most every point he made. The bottom might be the only switch I could see...meaning I could see the AAC move up over PAC 12. I honestly think, head-to-head, the AAC could come out ahead at the end of the day. Navy is always tough. Houston and Memphis have both been playing well the last couple years. Cincinnati dropped off, but look to be rebounding somewhat. But, yeah. The top half looks about right. B1G, SEC, ACC, Big 12.

I think that's crazy. People underrate the PAC 12 due to their location.

I also think the ACC outside of Clemson and after a huge drop off Miami, the rest is pretty bad.

I don't think it's crazy at all. At least not looking back at the last 5-10 years.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Heidguy » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:23 pm

DreadNaught wrote:Speaking objectively...

1) S-E-C!
2) S-E-C!
3) S-E-C!
4) S-E-C!
5) S-E-C!

Heidguy

Postby uscbucsfan » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:37 pm

Buc2 wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:I think that's crazy. People underrate the PAC 12 due to their location.

I don't think it's crazy at all. At least not looking back at the last 5-10 years.

Agree to disagree. When we start to talk talent disparity people who are fans of the AAC get upset, but they simply don't have the talent to compete on a weekly basis in a P5 conference. They would sustain loses. The Pac12 consistently eats their own with the way their schedule is set up, but Washington, USCw, and Stanford year in and year out for the last few years are better than any team in the AAC.
uscbucsfan

Postby BucaRican » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:05 am

uscbucsfan wrote:
Buc2 wrote:I don't think it's crazy at all. At least not looking back at the last 5-10 years.

Agree to disagree. When we start to talk talent disparity people who are fans of the AAC get upset, but they simply don't have the talent to compete on a weekly basis in a P5 conference. They would sustain loses. The Pac12 consistently eats their own with the way their schedule is set up, but Washington, USCw, and Stanford year in and year out for the last few years are better than any team in the AAC.

This Guy. You give me a daily laugh.
BucaRican

Postby Kress » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:57 am

BucaRican wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:Agree to disagree. When we start to talk talent disparity people who are fans of the AAC get upset, but they simply don't have the talent to compete on a weekly basis in a P5 conference. They would sustain loses. The Pac12 consistently eats their own with the way their schedule is set up, but Washington, USCw, and Stanford year in and year out for the last few years are better than any team in the AAC.

This Guy. You give me a daily laugh.

He's right in what he said: "year in and year out." The AAC has pop-up teams that make a name for themselves for a year or two, but then utterly disappear for the better part of the next decade before maybe doing it again. Teams like USCw (using the little w for usc's benefit) will be in the mix for the better part of a decade, and them maybe have a down year or two before coming back for a decade again. It's the difference between being a perennial power conference team, and being a team that just so happens to have assembled a really good group this year.

Just using this year's "Champs" against USCw, since they were brought up for comparison, going back to 1980 USCw has 34 winning seasons, and only 3 losing ones. UCF has 11 winning, and 26 losing. You get the idea.
Kress

Postby uscbucsfan » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:04 am

It's almost like he forgot UCF only won 4 games in 2 years prior to last year. They were great last year and they still may be this year. They found some real NFL talent, but overall their 80th ranked recruiting classes and their carousel of coaches don't produce consistent results. You could say this for any of those teams.

I don't think UCF would run the table in the Pac 12. There's just too much talent and their schedule requires them to play 9 conference games.
uscbucsfan

Postby Konatown » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:21 am

UCF doesn’t have the history or sustained success to be considered more than a pop up team, which is fair. I would argue that if we would be allowed into a P5 (along with USF) we would see an increase in recruitment rankings. It’s a young program, but with the location, facilities, staff in place they are definitely trending in the right direction.
Konatown

Postby Buc2 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:58 am

Speaking of the Group of Five and the difficulty in scheduling quality non-conference opponents here's a pretty good article that talks about what AD's at schools like UCF & USF go through trying to fill out their non-conference schedules.

Strength of schedule? That comes with a whole lot of stress
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:22 am

Two upsets vs top 10 teams this week.

Michigan sucks. Harbaugh is like 9-9 his last 18 games and gets paid like Saban. So overrated. What has that clown ever won?

Penn State almost lost at home to AppState.

The SEC is more than Bama and UGA. Meanwhile the B1G is OSU then a huge dropoff like usual.

1) S-E-C!
2) S-E-C!
3) S-E-C!
4) S-E-C!
5) S-E-C!

DreadNaught

Postby Heidguy » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:15 am

Lmao, poor tennessee smh.
Heidguy

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:28 pm

Heheheheheh.

Go Vols.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Native Son » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:53 pm

I agree with the fleshed out explanation above on most of the points.
Man, I saw a few offensive players last weekend that had rockets for shoes.
Native Son

Postby NavyBuc » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:31 pm

DreadNaught wrote:Two upsets vs top 10 teams this week.

Michigan sucks. Harbaugh is like 9-9 his last 18 games and gets paid like Saban. So overrated. What has that clown ever won?

The SEC is more than Bama and UGA. Meanwhile the B1G is OSU then a huge dropoff like usual.

1) S-E-C!
2) S-E-C!
3) S-E-C!
4) S-E-C!
5) S-E-C!

Not ready to say Michigan is a bust yet. They lost on the road to a really good team. Let's hold off before we throw them off the bridge. They have a really good defense and Patterson is an upgrade from what they had. He'll do fine against other defenses. ND going to make a lot of qbs look bad this year.

Penn State and Ohio State's defenses worry me. I think there's reason for concern there. Wisconsin may be the best Big 10 team.

But yes, I agree, the SEC had the more impressive opening week. Bama, Auburn and Georgia are all very dangerous teams.
NavyBuc

Postby uscbucsfan » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:41 pm

NavyBuc wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:Two upsets vs top 10 teams this week.

Not ready to say Michigan is a bust yet. They lost on the road to a really good team. Let's hold off before we throw them off the bridge. They have a really good defense and Patterson is an upgrade from what they had. He'll do fine against other defenses. ND going to make a lot of qbs look bad this year.

Penn State and Ohio State's defenses worry me. I think there's reason for concern there. Wisconsin may be the best Big 10 team.

But yes, I agree, the SEC had the more impressive opening week. Bama, Auburn and Georgia are all very dangerous teams.

I watched the ND Michigan game. I didn't come away from it thinking either team looked great. It was week 1, so I'm not putting a ton of stock into it.
uscbucsfan

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:42 pm

Yep first week against a good team. Hard to tell too much. Most of those games are fairly sloppy
Zarniwoop

Postby uscbucsfan » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:55 pm

Michigan is ranked because they are Michigan. I don't think they are a bad team, but Shea Patterson and a 21st ranked recruiting class isn't enough to make them jump from 8-5 to 10 or 11 wins (where their ranking states). We'll see, maybe they will surprise me. Due to my family, I'm not completely against them, but I just don't see it outside of the name "Michigan" and "Harbaugh".
uscbucsfan

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:10 am

Really bad week for the ACC. Again, it's just week 1, but it's easy to see why the ESPN talking heads unanimously said Clemson would cake walk to the playoffs.
uscbucsfan

Postby NavyBuc » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:08 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
NavyBuc wrote:

I watched the ND Michigan game. I didn't come away from it thinking either team looked great. It was week 1, so I'm not putting a ton of stock into it.

Notre Dame has a stretch at the end of this month where they play Stanford and then Va. Tech on the road. That's very likely to be back-to-back top-10 matchups. So we'll know a heck of a lot more about them then. They make it through Va. Tech undefeated, they are a real championship contender this year.
NavyBuc

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:30 pm

I can't see ND getting through their year with even just 1 loss. I just don't think they have enough balance.
Zarniwoop

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:42 pm

Michigan is an average P5 team. Braylon Edwards was wrong for being critical of current players, but he was spot on otherwise. Who have they beat to justify any type of praise?
DreadNaught

Postby Kress » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:35 am

uscbucsfan wrote:Really bad week for the ACC. Again, it's just week 1, but it's easy to see why the ESPN talking heads unanimously said Clemson would cake walk to the playoffs.

Clemson looked like hot garbage while beating up on Furman. Except for the D-Line, they were as advertised and then some. Completely moved into Furman's backfield, redecorated a bit, added a guest wing, and were making plans to put in a pool when they were pulled out for the first round of backups. But otherwise I was not impressed. A whole lot of sloppy play, missed throws, bad routes, lazy tackles. We'll see how this week goes at A&M.
Kress

Postby uscbucsfan » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:47 pm

Kress wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:Really bad week for the ACC. Again, it's just week 1, but it's easy to see why the ESPN talking heads unanimously said Clemson would cake walk to the playoffs.

Clemson looked like hot garbage while beating up on Furman. Except for the D-Line, they were as advertised and then some. Completely moved into Furman's backfield, redecorated a bit, added a guest wing, and were making plans to put in a pool when they were pulled out for the first round of backups. But otherwise I was not impressed. A whole lot of sloppy play, missed throws, bad routes, lazy tackles. We'll see how this week goes at A&M.

Lawrence will be your QB for most of the A&M game and Clemson will win. I hate Clemson, but I'm pretty confident.
uscbucsfan

Return to College Football/Draft Talk