Urban Liar

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Re: Urban Liar

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:06 am

uscbucsfan wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:
I thought for sure he was going to get canned. But I don't anymore. I think he keeps his job. If anyone loses their job I think its the AD

Some think he may get a 1-3 game suspension, but I agree. I think he stays.

That's probably a reasonable stance to take right now....as a buckeye fan, i'm hoping for the 1 game....OSU plays TCU in the 2nd game.
Zarniwoop

Postby Phantom Phenom » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:36 pm

Ohio State's board of trustees will meet Wednesday morning to discuss "personnel matters" related to the recently concluded investigation involving football coach Urban Meyer.
Phantom Phenom

Postby uscbucsfan » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:29 am

Prior to the meeting today per ESPN:

-Because Courtney Smith was not employed by the school this is not a title IX violation (thought so)

-Due to this the NCAA is not likely to get involved.

-Time served is on the table for Meyer, but at most it looks like it will be se sort of suspension.

-There is a chance no one gets fired as Meyer did report it and the school wasn't required to pursue further as it didn't fall under title IX.

These could change as the school could meet for several days on this.
uscbucsfan

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:12 am

uscbucsfan wrote:Prior to the meeting today per ESPN:

-Because Courtney Smith was not employed by the school this is not a title IX violation (thought so)

-Due to this the NCAA is not likely to get involved.

-Time served is on the table for Meyer, but at most it looks like it will be se sort of suspension.

-There is a chance no one gets fired as Meyer did report it and the school wasn't required to pursue further as it didn't fall under title IX.

These could change as the school could meet for several days on this.

I'm glad this was clarified...as its something we talked about quite a bit here. Can you imagine if it was otherwise?
Zarniwoop

Postby Ken Carson » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:21 pm

That collective “DAMMIT” you heard from Ann Arbor was real.
Ken Carson

Postby uscbucsfan » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:14 pm

3 games
uscbucsfan

Postby Phantom Phenom » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:42 pm

Ken Carson wrote:That collective “DAMMIT” you heard from Ann Arbor was real.

I lol’ed

That was great.
Phantom Phenom

Postby Alpha » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:33 am

LOL!

Urban doing Urban things.

Winning trumps all. Trumps all. Whatever.

OSU is a joke. Kinda like Ohio. Mediocrity isn't a "way of life"...it's more like an "aspiration".

At least UofF (who I can't stand) had the common sense to let him go. And that's coming from a "university" that considers "jorts", formal-wear.

#SAD
Alpha

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:02 am

Just caught up on the OSU presser and reading up on the notes from the investigation from last night. What a sham and disgrace. Meyer and OSU certainly found some good lawyers and damage control experts to craft the charade I just saw.

"He didn't know he was lying"

"Has selective memory loss"

Just say you know he's guilty, he's a liar, he intentionally tried to cover it up, but since he's a great football coach that has gone 73-8 since arriving at Ohio State we feel winning is more important.

Had this been any other coach not named Saban they'd be fired over this.

NCAA athletes get 6 games suspensions for selling their own autograph, yet Meyer can hide domestic abuse, then cover up his lies after the fact and gets 3 games?
DreadNaught

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:13 am

DreadNaught wrote:Just caught up on the OSU presser and reading up on the notes from the investigation from last night. What a sham and disgrace. Meyer and OSU certainly found some good lawyers and damage control experts to craft the charade I just saw.

Just say you know he's guilty, he's a liar, he intentionally tried to cover it up, but since he's a great football coach that has gone 73-8 since arriving at Ohio State we feel winning is more important.

NCAA athletes get 6 games suspensions for selling their own autograph, yet Meyer can hide domestic abuse, then cover up his lies after the fact and gets 3 games?

It's against NCAA rules to sell autographs. Whether or not he "hid domestic abuse" is debatable, but the point is he didn't really break any NCAA rules. It was pointed out from the beginning that this wasn't a Title IX case and there were never any arrest. The 3 games was for how poorly he handled it and public reaction.

edit: It seems you have more invested in this than normal, Dread. I can't remember, are you a Florida fan?
uscbucsfan

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:05 am

uscbucsfan wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:Just caught up on the OSU presser and reading up on the notes from the investigation from last night. What a sham and disgrace. Meyer and OSU certainly found some good lawyers and damage control experts to craft the charade I just saw.

It's against NCAA rules to sell autographs. Whether or not he "hid domestic abuse" is debatable, but the point is he didn't really break any NCAA rules. It was pointed out from the beginning that this wasn't a Title IX case and there were never any arrest. The 3 games was for how poorly he handled it and public reaction.

edit: It seems you have more invested in this than normal, Dread. I can't remember, are you a Florida fan?

I am a Gator (although mdb calls me an FSU homer) and have bias here for sure.

Your defense of Meyer is eerily similar to the PSU homers defense of JoePa (not calling you an OSU homer btw). It's a issue of morality and judgement in both cases. JoePa reported Sandusky and didn't "break any NCAA rules". But JoePa was negligent in his responsibility and immoral in his decisions and (lack of) actions, just like Meyer. Obviously Sandusky's crimes are worse in scale, but I'm not comparing Sandusky to Zach Smith other than both had relationships that went beyond football with the powerful HC and both had a documented history of alleged criminal behavior where they should've been FIRED long before media and public pressure forced it. I blame Meyer for repeatedly turning a blind eye regarding Smith, lying about it multiple times, then covering it up. The guy is a fraud.

My point is that Meyer is getting different treatment b/c of how successful he is as a football coach. Had this been virtually any other coach they'd get alot more than 3 games. But Meyer is a HoF CFB coach and cash cow for that program so he gets protected.

The whole thing stinks from Meyer lying repeatedly and then covering up those lies after the fact, to the pathetic explanation by OSU that he "sometimes forgets" and "didn't intentionally lie". Who is buying that BS that isn't holding scarlet and grey pom-poms?

It's just alot of dishonesty they are shoveling out where the truth is secondary to the preferred outcome, but what else would anyone expect from Urban. He'll win a ton a football games and be a complete fraud in the process.

Let me ask this, do people think OSU's handling of this set a good precedence for the next time a similar situation occurs at another program?
DreadNaught

Postby Kress » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:21 am

DreadNaught wrote:"didn't intentionally lie"

What exactly is that, by the way? Isn't a lie, by definition, an intentionally false statement? How do you unintentionally say an intentional falsehood?
Kress

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:18 pm

Kress wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:"didn't intentionally lie"

What exactly is that, by the way? Isn't a lie, by definition, an intentionally false statement? How do you unintentionally say an intentional falsehood?

They blame it "selective memory loss" (I thought that was a female trait :P ). Apparently Meyer was "too consumed with football" to be able to recall specific details.

You should read the report. It's a complete sham full of lies and backtracking for damage control.

This **** is just like politics where everyone knows someone is lying, but they won't admit b/c that would assume guilt. So instead they craft a bunch of lawyer-speak about ignorance and memory loss. Weird how that works for the powerful/elite.

Remember kids, if you ever get caught lying just say you didn't know it was a lie and/or can't remember.
DreadNaught

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:59 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
Kress wrote:

They blame it "selective memory loss" (I thought that was a female trait :P ). Apparently Meyer was "too consumed with football" to be able to recall specific details.

You should read the report. It's a complete sham full of lies and backtracking for damage control.

This **** is just like politics where everyone knows someone is lying, but they won't admit b/c that would assume guilt. So instead they craft a bunch of lawyer-speak about ignorance and memory loss. Weird how that works for the powerful/elite.

Remember kids, if you ever get caught lying just say you didn't know it was a lie and/or can't remember.

Right, but he wasn't under oath. Lying isn't a crime.

In your previous post you lost me at the PSU stuff. That scenario is completely different and to even attempt to connect them ignores so many factors. I'm not an OSU fan. In fact they are one of my least favorite teams and I loved going to Tampa to watch my Gamecocks beat them in back to back Outback Bowls (Shout out to Ryan Brewer). Looking at this objectively, I don't think Meyer broke any hard rules or laws. Spousal abuse without the victim confirming or pressing charges creates a grey area. If you think Meyer should be fired for that, I can respect that, but I don't think any set rules or guidelines dictate a black and white case. I don't think he's getting away with anything outside of lying to the media. He looks bad, he'll likely loose some recruits, he'll lose some money, but IMO he doesn't need to be crucified for this.
uscbucsfan

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:21 pm

You're setting a extremely low bar imo USC. Meyer isn't some entry level employee. He's the highest paid employee in the entire state of Ohio. In addition to having the responsibility that comes with running a program like OSU where a higher standard of behavior and decision making should be required.

I don't blame Meyer for the actions of Zach Smith, I blame him for turning the other way, repeatedly lying about it, and then covering it up.

Meyer and OSU deserve every bit of the criticism and condemnation they are receiving for this was handled. I get not firing him over this, but that doesn't mean it was handled correctly either.

I'd be more accepting of the suspension had Meyer and OSU just ****ing owned it. But they don't b/c they know they can't and justify his employment. So instead the public is fed a bunch of lawyerspeak and damage control propaganda.

It's BS that they are saying Shelley Meyer never told Urban about her communication with the victim

It's BS for Meyer to say he barley knew Zach Smith in attempt to distance himself

I could go on and on. There are soooo many lies involved here that are being excused so the predetermined outcome of Meyer coaching football for as many games as possible is achieved.

The OSU board of trustees didn't even want to suspend Meyer, it was only because the school President was the only person with a moral backbone in all of this that Meyer was suspended at all. I'd bet the school President is not at OSU within 3 years.
DreadNaught

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:38 pm

DreadNaught wrote:You're setting a extremely low bar imo USC. Meyer isn't some entry level employee. He's the highest paid employee in the entire state of Ohio. In addition to having the responsibility that comes with running a program like OSU where a higher standard of behavior and decision making should be required.

I don't blame Meyer for the actions of Zach Smith, I blame him for turning the other way, repeatedly lying about it, and then covering it up.

Meyer and OSU deserve every bit of the criticism and condemnation they are receiving for this was handled. I get not firing him over this, but that doesn't mean it was handled correctly either.

I'd be more accepting of the suspension had Meyer and OSU just ****ing owned it. But they don't b/c they know they can't and justify his employment. So instead the public is fed a bunch of lawyerspeak and damage control propaganda.

It's BS that they are saying Shelley Meyer never told Urban about her communication with the victim

It's BS for Meyer to say he barley knew Zach Smith in attempt to distance himself

I could go on and on. There are soooo many lies involved here that are being excused so the predetermined outcome of Meyer coaching football for as many games as possible is achieved.

The OSU board of trustees didn't even want to suspend Meyer, it was only because the school President was the only person with a moral backbone in all of this that Meyer was suspended at all. I'd bet the school President is not at OSU within 3 years.

I don't understand why you care so much. (other than being a Florida fan)

It's pretty well known, even before this that Zach Smith was on staff because of his grandfather, Earl Bruce.

They weren't going to come out and say they felt bad for Courtney or apologize because that would hold them legally responsible. If you are ok with him not being fired, what do you think should have happened? How do you think it should have been handled? I mean they did fire Smith. If Meyer came out and said, "I fired Smith because of these issues and he's had issues in the past that we knew about, but we wanted to work with him and work through this." No one would give a ****. If Meyer didn't lie to the media, no one would care, I.E. Mark Cuban.

I think Meyer shouldn't have lied. I think it was stupid, but other than that I don't think he did anything wrong.
uscbucsfan

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:57 pm

I don't know that care more about it than other topics and after today I probably won't have much else to say unless there is new development. But it's the #1 sports story in the country today and it's about the HoF coach at one of the most prestigious programs. So excuse me if I'm commenting about it on a sports message board.

Perhaps I don't understand why you don't understand why it is that you believe I care so much? :P

Maybe you didn't watch the presser, or read the report that was conveniently released afterwards. But if you did I don't see how anyone wouldn't question the way in which this was handled.
DreadNaught

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:41 pm

Ok, so i finally have a second to chime in. Even though I'm a Buckeye homer I haven't followed this much so any of what I right simply could be wrong based on what has happened since last I read an article:

1.) The media response I saw from Meyer was pathetic....the remembering thing is just a stupid cop-out. I expect better from any rational adult, let alone the face of a program.

2.) I haven't seen Gene Smith's remarks but I'm guessing they were awful...I can't stand the guy.

3.) I honestly wouldn't have much of an issue if OSU had only given him 1 game or if OSU canned him. I think either response (and anything in between) can be a reasonable one (simply from the "punishment" side....not from the speaking side or how they are portraying it). Really the basis of my thinking is that I think just about any response by Meyer himself was reasonable - provided he notified the chain of command (which it appears he did). If he wanted to fire the coach immediately or suspend him pending investigation I would have been OK with it. If all he wanted to do was pass it up the chain and not delve into the personal life of his coach, I would be OK with it. If he wanted to pull the coach aside and talk to him about it and make sure he was getting "help" I'd be OK with that too (That's probably what I would have done).

4.) I'm also OK if OSU would have different standards for different coaches -- if this happened to a tennis coach with a losing record, I'm OK with them firing him....if it happens to their National Championship football coach and they give him a slap on the wrist, I'm ok with that too. I have always subscribed to the Jimmi Johnson school of "I treat everyone the same -- differently". And his differently was almost exclusively based on how much you could help him.
Zarniwoop

Postby PrimeMinister » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:49 pm

Zarni nailed it.
PrimeMinister

Postby Kress » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:14 am

PrimeMinister wrote:Zarni nailed it.
Kress

Postby Defense5599 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:59 am

Ohio State proved one thing..... to them, winning football games takes priority over domestic violence.
TAMPAAAAAAAAAA!!!! BAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!
Defense5599

Postby Ken Carson » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:07 am

Defense5599 wrote:Ohio State proved one thing..... to them, winning football games takes priority over domestic violence.

Ummm, yeah. Leading the nation in domestic abuse policing doesn't get you millions of dollars. Just Woke Points.
Ken Carson

Previous

Return to College Football/Draft Talk