College Preseason Top 25

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Re: College Preseason Top 25

Postby BucaRican » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:52 pm

BucaRican

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:05 pm

Who crashes the party this year?

Wisconsin?
West Virginia?
Stanford?
Miami?
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Kress » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:24 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:Who crashes the party this year?

Wisconsin?
West Virginia?
Stanford?
Miami?

I don't see it for any of those four, and especially not Stanford because my party crasher this year is........ (drum roll)...... Notre Dame. Maybe coming in as a 15 they don't quite deserve the title of party crasher, but they always appear that way to me due to the whole independent thing. If they get in, they bump a power 5 out, so that's an unwelcome houseguest.

They're returning a strong team, have a legitimate schedule that, while tough enough, still lines up nice for them with their hard yet winnable ones - Michigan to open, Stanford mid-season, and FSU late - all being played at home. Their only tough road game is their rivalry match with USC to end the season, but they may very well roll into that one either undefeated or with one pesky loss. Win it while undefeated, and of course they're in. Win it with 1 prior loss, especially if that loss was early on, and they're still right in the thick of the playoff conversation.

Kress

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:03 am

Nice.

But McGlinchey and Nelson are being replaced by a couple of sophomores and they have a ? at RB as well so I wouldn't expect them to have a top 10 rushing attack again this year. But the schedule is favorable and they are returning 7 starters on defense.

I have my eye on Miami who almost wrecked the party last year before choking @ Pitt. That team has a ton of swag that we haven't seen in a long time down there and I think they are ready to bust some heads. Very favorable schedule compared to last season with a Pitt rematch to cap it off which I would take Miami and the points on right now. We could have a battle of unbeatens in the ACC title game provided Clemson doesn't choke during rivalry week.

Mountaineer Buc

Postby Kress » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:27 am

Kress wrote:1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Georgia
4. Ohio State
5. Washington
6. Wisconsin
7. Oklahoma
8. Miami
9. Michigan
10. Michigan State
Kress

Postby PanteraCanes » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:36 am

Pretty much will come down to QB play. While everyone wants the QB replaced he did well enough until the end of the season. Seems there was a little bit of overconfidence and possibly injury at the end.

We lost a few players to the draft but as long as everyone can come back and stay healthy it will be a better team.
PanteraCanes

Postby Nano » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:26 am

AP Preseason Poll

1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Georgia
4. Wisconsin
5. Ohio St
6. Washington
7. Oklahoma
8. Miami
9. Auburn
10. Penn St
11. Michigan St
12. Notre Dame
13. Stanford
14. Michigan
15. USC
16. TCU
17. West Virginia
18. Mississippi St
19. Florida St
20. Virginia Tech
21. UCF
22. Boise St
23. Texas
24. Oregon
25. LSU
Nano

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:32 pm

top 10 seems reasonable.

i think this year is more open than lots of recent years
Zarniwoop

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:28 pm

I'm digging Wisconsin at #4.

Did a little shuffling and made my own damned Top 25

1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Georgia
4. Wisconsin
5. Miami
6. Washington
7. Penn St.
8. Ohio State
9. West Virginia
10. Oklahoma
11. Michigan St
12. Notre Dame
13. Stanford
14. Michigan
15. USC
16. Oregon
17. Auburn
18. Mississippi St
19. Virginia Tech
20. Texas
21. UCF
22. LSU
23. Iowa
24. Florida State
25. Utah

In: Iowa, Utah

Out: Boise State, TCU
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Heidguy » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:46 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:I'm digging Wisconsin at #4.

1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Georgia
4. Wisconsin
5. Miami
6. Washington
7. Penn St.
8. Ohio State
9. West Virginia
10. Oklahoma
11. Michigan St
12. Notre Dame
13. Stanford
14. Michigan
15. USC
16. Oregon
17. Auburn
18. Mississippi St
19. Virginia Tech
20. Texas
21. UCF
22. LSU
23. Iowa
24. Florida State
25. Utah

I've never had any issues with you MB, till now! **** you bro! Auburn 17th, you've got to be high off your ass!!

Ok I'm done, just had to get that off my chest.
Heidguy

Postby Kress » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:42 am

I know that you put them as your party crasher, but I didn't see Miami being an 8, much less a 5. I say that both "power" wise if you just rank top to bottom, without considering conferences, and also "finish" wise by looking at where I think they'll end up when the conferences and playoffs are factored in. If you ask me, they'll be a 1-2 loss team that makes the ACC Championship, and then lose that to end up as a 2-3 loss runner-up. When that's all said and done against the other champs and such, they'll be middle of the top 25 pack.

I would put them there to start, as well. Scanning down your list I get to USC/Oregon territory before I land on a spot.
Kress

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:55 am

Heidguy wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:I'm digging Wisconsin at #4.

1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Georgia
4. Wisconsin
5. Miami
6. Washington
7. Penn St.
8. Ohio State
9. West Virginia
10. Oklahoma
11. Michigan St
12. Notre Dame
13. Stanford
14. Michigan
15. USC
16. Oregon
17. Auburn
18. Mississippi St
19. Virginia Tech
20. Texas
21. UCF
22. LSU
23. Iowa
24. Florida State
25. Utah

I've never had any issues with you MB, till now! **** you bro! Auburn 17th, you've got to be high off your ass!!

LOL. I like Stidham and I know they can play defense, but I don't have a lot of faith in their offensive line or running game this year. I think their preseason ranking is inflated because they beat Bama and Georgia last year.....but that was last year.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Konatown » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:33 am

Hey! How about that? Go Knights!

Gotta say looking at the schedule, FAU scares me as a potential upset. Lane is doing some work over there.
Konatown

Postby Kress » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:59 am

Konatown wrote:Hey! How about that? Go Knights!

Gotta say looking at the schedule, FAU scares me as a potential upset. Lane is doing some work over there.

Tommy Bowden was on the radio show I listen to on my commute this morning. He picked FAU as his sleeper this year. In his terms, they are this year's UCF.
Kress

Postby Heidguy » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:29 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Heidguy wrote:

LOL. I like Stidham and I know they can play defense, but I don't have a lot of faith in their offensive line or running game this year. I think their preseason ranking is inflated because they beat Bama and Georgia last year.....but that was last year.

I agree with you on the Oline, it will be somewhat of a process and hopefully they'll gel by about game 3/4. We're not worried about the RB position, we never do, we're rbU lol. Someone will step in and run for 1k+. Our defense will be tough once again and I'm confident they'll get us past Washington to start the season. We win that game it'll be a great confidence boost for us.
Heidguy

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:35 am

Heidguy wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:LOL. I like Stidham and I know they can play defense, but I don't have a lot of faith in their offensive line or running game this year. I think their preseason ranking is inflated because they beat Bama and Georgia last year.....but that was last year.

I agree with you on the Oline, it will be somewhat of a process and hopefully they tel by about game 3/4. We're not worried about the RB position, we never do, we're rbU lol. Someone will step in and run for 1k+. Our defense will be tough once again and I'm confident they'll get us past Washington to start the season. We win that game it'll be a great confidence boost for us.

More power to you. There's an arms race beginning to brew in the SEC West between Auburn, LSU, Miss St., and now TAMU for the prize of burying Saban's dynasty. It'll take some time for those programs to build up, but it'll make for good football.

the SEC east on the other hand, bottoms out this year with Georgia the lone survivor.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Konatown » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:56 am

Kress wrote:
Konatown wrote:Hey! How about that? Go Knights!

Tommy Bowden was on the radio show I listen to on my commute this morning. He picked FAU as his sleeper this year. In his terms, they are this year's UCF.

They have a tough slate starting at Oklahoma. But if they show well and win out they could make a New Years bowl game.
Konatown

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:45 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Heidguy wrote:
I agree with you on the Oline, it will be somewhat of a process and hopefully they tel by about game 3/4. We're not worried about the RB position, we never do, we're rbU lol. Someone will step in and run for 1k+. Our defense will be tough once again and I'm confident they'll get us past Washington to start the season. We win that game it'll be a great confidence boost for us.

More power to you. There's an arms race beginning to brew in the SEC West between Auburn, LSU, Miss St., and now TAMU for the prize of burying Saban's dynasty. It'll take some time for those programs to build up, but it'll make for good football.

the SEC east on the other hand, bottoms out this year with Georgia the lone survivor.

UGA basically lost their offensive identity with their 3 best RBs (Their potential starter tore his ACL last week. James Cook looks good though), their best offensive lineman, most productive receiver, and 2 best linebackers. They recruited really well, but I don't know if they can just pick up where they left off.

I think it's a toss up who wins the South Carolina game as it's always close between us, but I could see them dropping 2 games this year and still winning the east....if we don't win it.
uscbucsfan

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:55 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:More power to you. There's an arms race beginning to brew in the SEC West between Auburn, LSU, Miss St., and now TAMU for the prize of burying Saban's dynasty. It'll take some time for those programs to build up, but it'll make for good football.

UGA basically lost their offensive identity with their 3 best RBs (Their potential starter tore his ACL last week. James Cook looks good though), their best offensive lineman, most productive receiver, and 2 best linebackers. They recruited really well, but I don't know if they can just pick up where they left off.

I think it's a toss up who wins the South Carolina game as it's always close between us, but I could see them dropping 2 games this year and still winning the east....if we don't win it.

Could happen. But you guys are breaking in a new offensive coordinator and the ****'s offense was 12th in the SEC last year. You got a top 5 D though so you'll be able to hang around with most of the east. I still like Pfromm throwing the ball against your secondary. At least you got em at home early this year.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:12 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:

Could happen. But you guys are breaking in a new offensive coordinator and the ****'s offense was 12th in the SEC last year. You got a top 5 D though so you'll be able to hang around with most of the east. I still like Pfromm throwing the ball against your secondary. At least you got em at home early this year.

McClendon was on the staff last year and called the game against Michigan.

We were a completely different offense before we lost Deebo. People forget he had 6 TDs in less than 3 games. I'm excited about our offense. We have one of the best WR corps in the nation with Edwards, Samuel, and the two Smiths. We have 4 very good RBs, 2 that got injured last year. I just hope Bentley can put it together.

We'll see, but we were picked to finish 2nd in the East at SEC Media Day and some picked us 1st. I'm cautiously optimistic.
uscbucsfan

Postby StillCSG » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:42 pm

I love me some FSU....

But they are ranked at 19 only due to reputation
StillCSG

Postby Super K » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:33 pm

StillCSG wrote:I love me some FSU....

Agreed....
Super K

Postby NavyBuc » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:54 am

Kress wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Who crashes the party this year?

Wisconsin?
West Virginia?
Stanford?
Miami?

I don't see it for any of those four, and especially not Stanford because my party crasher this year is........ (drum roll)...... Notre Dame. Maybe coming in as a 15 they don't quite deserve the title of party crasher, but they always appear that way to me due to the whole independent thing. If they get in, they bump a power 5 out, so that's an unwelcome houseguest.

They're returning a strong team, have a legitimate schedule that, while tough enough, still lines up nice for them with their hard yet winnable ones - Michigan to open, Stanford mid-season, and FSU late - all being played at home. Their only tough road game is their rivalry match with USC to end the season, but they may very well roll into that one either undefeated or with one pesky loss. Win it while undefeated, and of course they're in. Win it with 1 prior loss, especially if that loss was early on, and they're still right in the thick of the playoff conversation.

Agree with you on ND. I think they're going to be a lot better than people think. Not sure they're going to be playoff good, though. That's a tough schedule. You mention Michigan, Stanford and USC. They also have a big road game at Va. Tech and have to play at NW which some people say could be sneaky good this year. WIll be interesting to see what they do at QB. They're supposed to have one of the best freshman qbs in the nation in Phil Jurkevic but it appears they are going to go with Wimbush or Book for the opening game...probably Wimbush. They have some serious speed on that offense, though, with WImbush, Dexter Williams and Tony Jones and they have a very fast WR corps. They have some serious wheels.
NavyBuc

Postby Noles1724 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:27 am

Super K wrote:
StillCSG wrote:I love me some FSU....

Agreed....

seriously? They are top 15 recruiting every year, they have returning QB that would start on a vast majority of other programs. I believe 19 is about as a legit of a slot as any other team in the 25.

oh and their facilities are second only to Texas A&M apparently.
Noles1724

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:42 am

Noles1724 wrote:
Super K wrote:
Agreed....

seriously? They are top 15 recruiting every year, they have returning QB that would start on a vast majority of other programs. I believe 19 is about as a legit of a slot as any other team in the 25.

oh and their facilities are second only to Texas A&M apparently.

Lots to be concerned about in Tallahassee. New Coach and system trying to fix the shambles Jimbo left in that field house. Having Francois back will help a great deal and I expect the program to fare better than last season, but they're gonna need a minimum of one season to get their swag back.

Tough outing vs Virginia Tech to start the season
@ Miami, who I have crashing the final four
I don't see the Noles getting a win vs Clemson either.

That's 3 losses right there, and you have Boston College who stomped their guts out last year, Louisville is returning most of it's O-Line, NC state got a win on you last year, and Florida....who is still in shambles....will not lay down for you.

If you go 9-3, you should be on fire for 2019.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby BucaRican » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:27 am

UCF is officially recognized by the NCAA as national champs in 2017.... Just a FYI.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/its-official-ncaa-record-books-acknowledge-ucfs-title/
BucaRican

Postby uscbucsfan » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:44 am

Lol
uscbucsfan

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:44 am

uscbucsfan wrote:Lol
Zarniwoop

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:21 pm

With Alabama remaining #1, they tied Ohio State for most weeks ranked #1 (AP Poll) -- 105.

Oklahoma is 3rd with 101.

Notre Dame and Southern Cal are the only other teams with more than 75.
Zarniwoop

Postby Nano » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:03 pm

1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Georiga
4. Ohio St
5. Wisconsin
6. Oklahoma
7. Auburn
8. Notre Dame
9. Washington