College Preseason Top 25

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
College Preseason Top 25

Postby Kress » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:30 am

EDIT: Sonofabitch. I was just trying to do a cut-and-paste of the list from my original post to make the below "reply," and ended up editing my original post into this. Oh well.

Here's a game: Since people talk about lingering bias and fandom and stuff playing into these, I was thinking that we all have teams that we just inherently like or dislike for one reason or another, and then the rest are pretty much indifferent. It can be that you don't like them because of a game where they beat your guys, or history, or just something random like you know a guy who is all about that team and he's an annoying prick so you hate the team by default.

So with the list, what do you have?

1. Alabama (Hate. History)
2. Clemson (Duh)
3. Georgia (Like. Not sure why)
4. Ohio State (Hate. I just do. Overrated cocky bastards)
5. Washington (Indifferent)
6. Wisconsin (Like. They make cheese up there)
7. Oklahoma (Indifferent with a lean toward like)
8. Miami (Like. History, attitude, plus I know a guy)
9. Michigan (Indifferent with a lean toward like just because I'd rather them over Ohio State)
10. Michigan State (Like. Don't know why)
11. Penn State (Hate. Team history, and personally know a guy)
12. Auburn (Like. Know a guy).
13. Stanford (Like. For some reason view them as a "clean" team, whatever that means)
14. Mississippi State (Indifferent)
15. Notre Dame (I change my mind every year. It's like the magnetic polls keep flipping)
16. Virginia Tech (Like. I think the shooting)
17. TCU (Hate. I know a guy)
18. Florida State (Like. History, respect)
19. USC (Like. I almost went there)
20 Texas (Like. Just seem solid)
21. West Virginia (Like. Honestly, because of MB. I was indifferent before that)
22. LSU (Like. Not sure why)
23. Boise State (Hate. They just annoy me)
24. Oregon (Like. Attitude).
25. South Carolina (Like. No comment)
Last edited by Kress on Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kress

Re: College Preseason Top 25

Postby Buc2 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:13 am

I guess they feel that a Quinton Flowers'less USF team won't cut the Top 25. They're probably right. Still...

GO BULLS!
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:07 am

DreadNaught

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:28 am

Not a believer in Georgia this year because they lost sooo much on Defense and RB corps. The rest of the SEC east is weak enough to keep them around until the SEC title game though. If you get a chance, catch South Carolina at home vs. anybody. They got a WR named Deebo Samuel who is simply electric. He might even be rbf's man crush of the year.

I expect a real good duel between Jake Browning and Jarrett Stidham when Washington and Auburn play. The QB's make me think this game could go either way with an edge going to Washington who has the better defense and Auburn has only one returning starter on the O-line. Auburn is also missing Kerryon Johnson now. Washington will be fun to watch if you can stay up that late, but I can't see them being better than they were last year. Auburn has the exact same problem.

In the Big 12, Ranking Texas ahead of WVU is a crime. Will Grier is easily the best QB in the conference and his favorite target David Sills could go as high as the second round next spring. Texas is trotting out a Sophmore QB who's never started a game and no returning starters at RB. Defense? Nobody bothers playing it in the B12 and I expect the Conference as a whole to be pretty blah outside of Morgantown and Norman and I'm beginning to smell blood in the water over there.

B1G will be where the fun happens this year. Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio St., and Penn St. should all have solid seasons and there will be upsets aplenty. Stout defenses, hard running, brawls in the trenches, and just real good quality football happening up there these days.

Clemson vs. Miami will be the sure shot best conference title game in the Power 5. Miami has the players and the attitude to pull of an upset in that one.

If Bama chokes on anybody it'll be in the Iron Bowl or a gainst Mississippi St. who has a team and QB not getting enough respect. Still, Bama choking at the end of the season worked out pretty good for them last year. They'll beat up on Ole Miss and LSU who are fading, and feast on TAMU and Arkansas to go with their 4 cupcake games a year. If nobody shows up to play them this year, they'll be ripe for a fall in the playoffs.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:41 am

Georgia still has a stud QB and a beast RB in D’Andre Swift. Kirby Smart has been recruiting on par with any program the past couple years so they will reload just like Bama does every year when they 'lose too much' to the NFL draft.

I'm no Georgia fan, but I think they will be the champs this season. Kirby just about has the machine built there to where they will be the type of program OSU and Bama are as perenial top 5 programs with multiple day 1-2 picks into the NFL every April.

Clemson has a scary good Dline.

Bama is Bama. They might have a QB that can actually throw now which is scary.

Same with OSU, I think their new QB is even better than JT Barrett ever was.

Talent wise I believe there is a significant drop off after those 4 teams. Michigan has some talent, but can they finally beat OSU?

We'll see, the college season is always full of surprises.
DreadNaught

Postby Super K » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:53 am

My reaction:

Bama at #1: Duh

Got to Georgia at #3: kind of frowned a bit, scratched my head

Washington at #5: WTF is going on

Oklahoma at #7: who wrote this thing?

Michigan at #9: yeah, this list is straight trash

Finished scrolling through to see where my Noles obligatory ranking fell....
Super K

Postby uscbucsfan » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:00 am

Super K wrote:My reaction:

Not sure what the issue is with any of those rankings.

Care to elaborate?
uscbucsfan

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:05 am

5 B1G teams in the top 11?

Is this where I whine about bias? That's how it works right?
DreadNaught

Postby uscbucsfan » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:17 am

I think the Gamecocks are primed for a very very good season. We brought most of our team back (4th youngest team in CFB last season), Muschamp has recruited very well, have 3 very very good RBs, but most importantly we may have the best WR corps in the nation. Bryan Edwards and OrTre Smith are NFL level WRs and as MB pointed out Deebo Samuel may be the most explosive player in the nation. If you forget, he's the player that basically ended Golic Jr.'s announcing career when he returned a 97 yard kick for a TD, ran a 25 yard TD, and caught a 30 yards pass on 4th down within 3 min. He broke his leg last year and played on it (made an 18 yard catch before Muschamp took him out). If he's healthy he's a monster. In 2017 he was kicked to 3 times and returned 2 kicks for 90+ yard touch downs. He had 6 TDs over 2.5 games last season.

Anyway, I do worry about our O-line and Jake Bentley, who is inconsistent. I think we have a coin flip chance to beat UGA as our games are always close, regardless of talent disparity. I still think UGA wins the east, as I think the gamecocks lose a game they should win next year and we are really a year away. We should have a top 5 recruiting class coming in 2019.
uscbucsfan

Postby Super K » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:32 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
Super K wrote:My reaction:

Care to elaborate?

Bama: Duh (again)

UGA: one relevant season over the last decade shouldn't earn you a #3 ranking, especially after losing all that talent

Washington: one Cinderella season 2 years ago, combined with all the talent they've lost over said 2 years and having a weak armed overrated QB shouldn't put them in the top 5...

Oklahoma: they are gonna fall alot further than this without Baker Mayfield calling the shots...in this conference the best offense with the best QB usually comes out on top...that's WV, NOT the Sooners..

Michigan: what the hell have they done to continue to garner this kind of attention/accolade...back to back 10-3 seasons...seasons that other top programs and fanbases would want the coach hung for achieving, they get celebrated...trash year last year..they are the Texas A&M of the Big10...
Super K

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:44 pm

Worth noting that WVU has NEVER beaten OU since joining the Big 12
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Kress » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:16 pm

Whoops. See first post.......
Kress

Postby Phantom Phenom » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:25 pm

Super K wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:

Care to elaborate?

Bama: Duh (again)

UGA: one relevant season over the last decade shouldn't earn you a #3 ranking, especially after losing all that talent

Washington: one Cinderella season 2 years ago, combined with all the talent they've lost over said 2 years and having a weak armed overrated QB shouldn't put them in the top 5...

Oklahoma: they are gonna fall alot further than this without Baker Mayfield calling the shots...in this conference the best offense with the best QB usually comes out on top...that's WV, NOT the Sooners..

Michigan: what the hell have they done to continue to garner this kind of attention/accolade...back to back 10-3 seasons...seasons that other top programs and fanbases would want the coach hung for achieving, they get celebrated...trash year last year..they are the Texas A&M of the Big10...

Agreed
Phantom Phenom

Postby Cheb » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:02 pm

Michigan is a talented team and well worthy of their top ten ranking.

They currently have two players in the discussion of being top five NFL draft picks, quarterback Shea Patterson and defensive lineman Rashan Gary. Several others are possible first rounders as well, Winovich at defensive end and Bush at linebacker.

We return our top two rushers, both of whom have NFL talent. Our best receiver is coming back from injury, joining a developing young core of talented guys still learning the ropes. The top tight end could be better than Jake Butt, the number two guy is a blocking savant. The offensive line should only improve over last year's performance.

We have a ton of defensive talent. The defensive line is again eight men deep, and is one of the best defensive lines in college football. Our middle linebacker is a likely first rounder, and the men on their side of him are no slouches either. The secondary may not be as good as in past years but they should hold up their end of the bargain.

The thing that's been holding back Michigan since Harbaugh got there has been the offense. They had no quarterback worth his roster spot. If Patterson can get the passing offense to be even an average attack instead of the manure they've been trotting out, then Michigan will absolutely be worthy of their top ten preseason spot.
Cheb

Postby Rocker » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:11 pm

I just watch college ball to annoy my wife.
Rocker

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:43 pm

Wonder what kind of banner UCF is going to hang after they got screwed out of the preseason top 25?
Zarniwoop

Postby Super K » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:49 pm

Cheb wrote:Michigan is a talented team and well worthy of their top ten ranking.

They currently have two players in the discussion of being top five NFL draft picks, quarterback Shea Patterson and defensive lineman Rashan Gary. Several others are possible first rounders as well, Winovich at defensive end and Bush at linebacker.

We return our top two rushers, both of whom have NFL talent. Our best receiver is coming back from injury, joining a developing young core of talented guys still learning the ropes. The top tight end could be better than Jake Butt, the number two guy is a blocking savant. The offensive line should only improve over last year's performance.

We have a ton of defensive talent. The defensive line is again eight men deep, and is one of the best defensive lines in college football. Our middle linebacker is a likely first rounder, and the men on their side of him are no slouches either. The secondary may not be as good as in past years but they should hold up their end of the bargain.

The thing that's been holding back Michigan since Harbaugh got there has been the offense. They had no quarterback worth his roster spot. If Patterson can get the passing offense to be even an average attack instead of the manure they've been trotting out, then Michigan will absolutely be worthy of their top ten preseason spot.

I can see my comments wrinkled someone's khakis, ehh Jim?!
Super K

Postby Kress » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:53 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:Wonder what kind of banner UCF is going to hang after they got screwed out of the preseason top 25?

They don't need a number, because the line forms behind them. So I guess it'll be something about Alabama being #1, as in first in line.
Kress

Postby Cheb » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:41 pm

Super K wrote:
Cheb wrote:Michigan is a talented team and well worthy of their top ten ranking.

I can see my comments wrinkled someone's khakis, ehh Jim?!

My pleats are unperturbed. :)
Cheb

Postby Konatown » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:03 pm

No respect for UCF. That’s ok, we’re used to it.

I am interested in seeing how the new coaching staff can take the reins. We did lose some defensive talent, but having Milton back at QB is the reason I feel confident this year. Not saying we’ll go undefeated again, but should win the conference and get a decent bowl game.
Konatown

Postby Native Son » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:56 pm

Immediately looked for the defending NCAA champ's early ranking and they're not even in the top 25.
Here's hoping they reload and smack the daylights out of a big name school. Again. :drinkingcheers:
Native Son

Postby Konatown » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:52 pm

Personally, I think the nat’l champion talk for UCF was/is lame. We didn’t win the national championship and it takes away the light from a perfect season trying to make a name for ourselves. But whatever. I don’t work for the team and make those decisions.

Either way, preseason top 25’s are about as useful as Anne Frank’s drum kit.
Konatown

Postby NavyBuc » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:10 am

1) Georgia lost some talent. They'll be back in a couple years once Smart's recruits develop, but I think this will be an off year for them.
2) Lot of insiders saying Notre Dame can be sneaky good and dangerous, but their schedule is absolutely brutal. They've got Michigan, Stanford and Va. Tech during their first month, not to mention FSU and USC in November.
3) This is scary to think about, but a lot of experts saying this Alabama team is a lot better than last year's.
4) While Florida isn't a top-25 team this year, Mullen will get them back to respectability within a couple years. Good hire by Florida.
5) Oklahoma will likely take a bit of a step back without Mayfield. Recruiting hasn't been as good last couple years so they'll be relying a lot on what's left of Stoops recruits.
NavyBuc

Postby Zarniwoop » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:52 am

Here is my unbaised national rankings

1.) Ohio State
2.) Akron Zips
3.) Mount Union Purple Raiders
4.) Alabama
Zarniwoop

Postby Nano » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:56 am

What has Akron done to be above Mount Union?
Nano

Postby Zarniwoop » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:03 pm

They went bowling last year...granted they lost 50 - 3, but they made a bowl!!!!
Zarniwoop

Postby Rocker » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:10 pm

Zips over the Purple Raiders? GTFOH, scrub.
Rocker

Postby Zarniwoop » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:22 pm

Rocker wrote:Zips over the Purple Raiders? GTFOH, scrub.

My call is badass. Deal with it!
Zarniwoop

Postby Rocker » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:59 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:
Rocker wrote:Zips over the Purple Raiders? GTFOH, scrub.

My call is badass. Deal with it!

I’m gonna get a lawyer to trademark my ****. Deal
with it!
Rocker

Postby Kress » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:37 am

Rocker wrote:I’m gonna get a lawyer to trademark my ****. Deal
with it!

I've never trademarked **** before, but I guess I don't see any reason why you can't.

Please send my standard retainer to the same Cayman account you used last time, then deposit the **** you would like trademarked in a padded envelope and send it to my associate Zarni for safekeeping. There is no need to expedite that. The delivery, I mean. The actual deposit into the envelope you can make on whatever schedule suits you, express or otherwise. But as for delivery, it doesn't matter if it sits for a few days in a warehouse or two before it makes its way to Zarni. As long as the envelope is padded to prevent bruising, it will keep.
Kress

Next

Return to College Football/Draft Talk