Players We Should Be Watching (2019)

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
post

Players We Should Be Watching (2019)

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:18 pm

87 days until week 1 of college football and I have my little Athlon preview and am starting the spreadsheet for this season.

Licht got me going on this "Nasty" trend that he's looking for when he drafted guys like Vea, Stewart, and Cappa. So that's what I'm going to try and key in on this year. Logic says the first place to look is D-line for said nastiness and Clemson has the preseason honor of the best D-line on the game, But I don't know If I'd call them nasty. Well coached and high motor fits that description, but I don't see a mean streak in any of them save for Clelin Ferrell. Their schedule looks pretty soft this year (no VT or Miami) so might have to wait until the FSU game in October before giving them a hard look.

I'll take anybody from that Wisconsin O-line that's draft eligible. Anybody. Michigan game will be a must watch.

Another year, another top-heavy SEC. Honestly, I can only see Auburn shocking Alabama in the Iron Bowl because they have Stidham who should be a good pro prospect QB. But he has ONE returning starter on his O-line. Bama has that shiny, new throwin Samoan who blew us all away at the Championship game and he gets Damien Harris back to help him out.

My early early early first round target is Mitch Hyatt, LT Clemson. He would have been a 1st round lock 2 months ago.
Image
User avatar
Mountaineer Buc
 
Posts: 13784
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:15 pm
Location: Crestucky
Has thanked: 149 times
Been thanked: 642 times

Re: Players We Should Be Watching (2019)

Postby Konatown » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:32 am

Looking forward to seeing some players to keep an eye on, thanks for putting this together!
Konatown
 
Posts: 1239
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:56 pm
Has thanked: 60 times
Been thanked: 28 times

Re: Players We Should Be Watching (2019)

Postby Cheb » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:28 pm

My favorite player in the draft is Ed Oliver. He's a dynamite defensive tackle. His short area quickness is absurd, he's strong as hell, and he runs like a linebacker. The crazy thing is that, as good as he is, he makes the vast majority of his plays by simply being the best athlete on the field. If he has a strong defensive line coach show him how to best utilize his natural gifts, I think Oliver has perennial All-Pro written all over him. Yes, he's that good.

If he drops out of the top three, I'll be surprised. If the Bucs suck hard enough to get him, they likely will be taking a quarterback, not a defensive tackle. Still, he could learn alot from McCoy and make this defensive line something special indeed.
Image
Cheb
 
Posts: 4037
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:00 pm
Location: West Coast is best coast
Has thanked: 79 times
Been thanked: 339 times

Re: Players We Should Be Watching (2019)

Postby Deuce » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:49 pm

Cheb wrote:My favorite player in the draft is Ed Oliver. He's a dynamite defensive tackle. His short area quickness is absurd, he's strong as hell, and he runs like a linebacker. The crazy thing is that, as good as he is, he makes the vast majority of his plays by simply being the best athlete on the field. If he has a strong defensive line coach show him how to best utilize his natural gifts, I think Oliver has perennial All-Pro written all over him. Yes, he's that good.

If he drops out of the top three, I'll be surprised. If the Bucs suck hard enough to get him, they likely will be taking a quarterback, not a defensive tackle. Still, he could learn alot from McCoy and make this defensive line something special indeed.


Yeah...I'm gonna need an explanation on that one.
User avatar
Deuce
 
Posts: 1444
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:23 pm
Has thanked: 51 times
Been thanked: 47 times

Re: Players We Should Be Watching (2019)

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:19 pm

Deuce wrote:
Cheb wrote:My favorite player in the draft is Ed Oliver. He's a dynamite defensive tackle. His short area quickness is absurd, he's strong as hell, and he runs like a linebacker. The crazy thing is that, as good as he is, he makes the vast majority of his plays by simply being the best athlete on the field. If he has a strong defensive line coach show him how to best utilize his natural gifts, I think Oliver has perennial All-Pro written all over him. Yes, he's that good.

If he drops out of the top three, I'll be surprised. If the Bucs suck hard enough to get him, they likely will be taking a quarterback, not a defensive tackle. Still, he could learn alot from McCoy and make this defensive line something special indeed.


Yeah...I'm gonna need an explanation on that one.

What he's saying is that the Bucs, and Winston in particular, would need to flame out so hard as to be picking in the top 5 to land him.
Image
User avatar
Mountaineer Buc
 
Posts: 13784
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:15 pm
Location: Crestucky
Has thanked: 149 times
Been thanked: 642 times

Re: Players We Should Be Watching (2019)

Postby Deuce » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:25 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Deuce wrote:
Yeah...I'm gonna need an explanation on that one.

What he's saying is that the Bucs, and Winston in particular, would need to flame out so hard as to be picking in the top 5 to land him.


I understand that but I'd like an explanation/scenario. Outside of career ending injury, I think Winston is our QB for 2019. I mean, we picked at #6 in the draft we just had.
User avatar
Deuce
 
Posts: 1444
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:23 pm
Has thanked: 51 times
Been thanked: 47 times

Re: Players We Should Be Watching (2019)

Postby acmillis » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:36 pm

Deuce wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:What he's saying is that the Bucs, and Winston in particular, would need to flame out so hard as to be picking in the top 5 to land him.


I understand that but I'd like an explanation/scenario. Outside of career ending injury, I think Winston is our QB for 2019. I mean, we picked at #6 in the draft we just had.

Winston blows, we only win 3-5 games, coaching staff gets bounced, new coach doesn't like Winston
acmillis
 
Posts: 1289
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:05 pm
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 41 times

Re: Players We Should Be Watching (2019)

Postby Deuce » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:46 pm

acmillis wrote:
Deuce wrote:
I understand that but I'd like an explanation/scenario. Outside of career ending injury, I think Winston is our QB for 2019. I mean, we picked at #6 in the draft we just had.

Winston blows, we only win 3-5 games, coaching staff gets bounced, new coach doesn't like Winston


Winston will be 25 years old and he was the #1 overall pick in 2015. The chances of a new coach giving up on him are minuscule, no matter what he does this upcoming season.
User avatar
Deuce
 
Posts: 1444
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:23 pm
Has thanked: 51 times
Been thanked: 47 times

Re: Players We Should Be Watching (2019)

Postby Super K » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:55 pm

Deuce wrote:
acmillis wrote:Winston blows, we only win 3-5 games, coaching staff gets bounced, new coach doesn't like Winston


Winston will be 25 years old and he was the #1 overall pick in 2015. The chances of a new coach giving up on him are minuscule, no matter what he does this upcoming season.



1000% agree...
User avatar
Super K
 
Posts: 7521
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:26 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 221 times

Re: Players We Should Be Watching (2019)

Postby Nano » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:02 pm

Considering that Ed-Oliver has the chance to go 1st/2nd overall(He's that good), us picking that high would either mean that we were near the worst team in the NFL next year(and with our roster talent level, that shouldn't be the case without Winston completely shitting the bed) or we traded up that high(and you only make that trade for a QB).
User avatar
Nano
 
Posts: 7648
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:30 pm
Location: Somewhere above Tampa
Has thanked: 29 times
Been thanked: 258 times

Re: Players We Should Be Watching (2019)

Postby Super K » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:18 pm

I'm sticking with Zach Allen...

Big, strong relentless motor...

We did a great job with our DL this offseason, but one thing we lack at DE is youth...

This guy could easily add to our DL onslaught from day 1 AND be the heir apparent for JPP...
User avatar
Super K
 
Posts: 7521
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:26 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 221 times

Re: Players We Should Be Watching (2019)

Postby MJW » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:02 pm

I wish I had some Huskers to mention, but there isn't a ton of exciting returning talent, and it's impossible to project the returning guys to the new schemes anyway.

I'd say Stanley Morgan Jr. has to be near the top of the list. He's an NFL receiver. Possibly a very good NFL receiver. It'll be interesting to see how this attack affects him.

Carlos Davis is a former five star who's developed into a really good defensive tackle. He could be a day two talent. He comps well to Maliek Collins.

Sleeper - JUCO signee Will Honas. He's going to be a great inside linebacker by all accounts.
Image
User avatar
MJW
 
Posts: 8828
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:17 am
Location: Nebraska
Has thanked: 205 times
Been thanked: 385 times

Re: Players We Should Be Watching (2019)

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:16 am

I'm hoping to God we are picking late in round 1...
Image
real bucs fan
 
Posts: 8306
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:59 pm
Has thanked: 917 times
Been thanked: 119 times

Re: Players We Should Be Watching (2019)

Postby PanteraCanes » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:21 pm

Deuce wrote:
acmillis wrote:Winston blows, we only win 3-5 games, coaching staff gets bounced, new coach doesn't like Winston


Winston will be 25 years old and he was the #1 overall pick in 2015. The chances of a new coach giving up on him are minuscule, no matter what he does this upcoming season.


He would have just gotten the team to two top 5 picks in row and gotten the previous staff fired. Also would be wanting a huge new contract for these accomplishments.
User avatar
PanteraCanes
 
Posts: 1082
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:48 pm
Has thanked: 83 times
Been thanked: 40 times

Re: Players We Should Be Watching (2019)

Postby Super K » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:41 pm

PanteraCanes wrote:
Deuce wrote:
Winston will be 25 years old and he was the #1 overall pick in 2015. The chances of a new coach giving up on him are minuscule, no matter what he does this upcoming season.


He would have just gotten the team to two top 5 picks in row and gotten the previous staff fired. Also would be wanting a huge new contract for these accomplishments.



2 top 5 picks in a row?
User avatar
Super K
 
Posts: 7521
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:26 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 221 times

Re: Players We Should Be Watching (2019)

Postby SIBucsFan » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:34 am

This will be the 20th draft I've studied. I don't recall a draft class having as much defensive linemen talent in the past two decades as 2019 will.
User avatar
SIBucsFan
 
Posts: 1612
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:40 am
Has thanked: 291 times
Been thanked: 74 times

Re: Players We Should Be Watching (2019)

Postby PanteraCanes » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:58 am

Super K wrote:
PanteraCanes wrote:
He would have just gotten the team to two top 5 picks in row and gotten the previous staff fired. Also would be wanting a huge new contract for these accomplishments.



2 top 5 picks in a row?



Sorry. My fault. 7 is so far from 5. I really didn't take much interest in the draft this year so I was wrong about where we were picking.
User avatar
PanteraCanes
 
Posts: 1082
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:48 pm
Has thanked: 83 times
Been thanked: 40 times

Re: Players We Should Be Watching (2019)

Postby sonofg » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:18 pm

PanteraCanes wrote:
Super K wrote:

2 top 5 picks in a row?



Sorry. My fault. 7 is so far from 5. I really didn't take much interest in the draft this year so I was wrong about where we were picking.


Easy mistake to make, with 5 out of 7 being a perfect rating and all...
sonofg
 
Posts: 473
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:18 am
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: Players We Should Be Watching (2019)

Postby Super K » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:36 pm

PanteraCanes wrote:
Super K wrote:

2 top 5 picks in a row?



Sorry. My fault. 7 is so far from 5. I really didn't take much interest in the draft this year so I was wrong about where we were picking.


Yo man, switch to half-caff!
User avatar
Super K
 
Posts: 7521
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:26 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 221 times

Re: Players We Should Be Watching (2019)

Postby PanteraCanes » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:22 am

Super K wrote:
PanteraCanes wrote:

Sorry. My fault. 7 is so far from 5. I really didn't take much interest in the draft this year so I was wrong about where we were picking.


Yo man, switch to half-caff!


Nah, I just inject it pure and straight in. Works faster that way. Though I do loose bits of time here and there.
User avatar
PanteraCanes
 
Posts: 1082
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:48 pm
Has thanked: 83 times
Been thanked: 40 times

Re: Players We Should Be Watching (2019)

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:59 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:My early early early first round target is Mitch Hyatt, LT Clemson. He would have been a 1st round lock 2 months ago.


I'm going to revise this target because Donovan Smith is doing better than he gets credit for and I don't think Dotson is done after this season.

JR Sweezy, on the other hand is 29 and after this season could be cut after June 1st with minimal dead money.

Give me Beau Benzschawel RG, Wisconsin 6'6" 321lbs in the back end of the 1st round/top of the second.

Image

Preseason top OG in the draft. 2017 consensus 1st team All American. Roughly the same ht/wt as Quentin Nelson though I wouldn't expect him to be as highly touted as a prospect since Nelson is a Demigod handed down from the football heavens. But we'll have to go to the tape to see how close Beau can get as a comparable prospect.

Here he is battling Mo Hurst last year.


Beau was a big BIG part of Jonathan Taylor's true freshman success last season and played a little RT in 2015 so there's versatility there as well. He's a big, road-grading guy that's a pain to move out of the way if you're a DT. I don't know if he would necessarily fit Licht's preference for guys who play mean and nasty, but he's still a pretty doggone good football player.
Image
User avatar
Mountaineer Buc
 
Posts: 13784
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:15 pm
Location: Crestucky
Has thanked: 149 times
Been thanked: 642 times

Re: Players We Should Be Watching (2019)

Postby Cheb » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:19 pm

I always look at scouting college players to be new Bucs with an eye towards team need, first and foremost. At this stage in the year I think our team is too much in flux to really nail down the highest needs at this point. It all depends on how they perform during the season.

Also the Bucs are currently projected to have just $10 million in cap space next offseason, which as of today would give the Bucs the fourth least cap space in the NFL next year. That's barely enough to sign a draft class.

Cutting players with heavy contracts and no cap ramifications can open up a hole in the roster very quickly. Any players we cut to make room would likely be big names that either underperformed this fall or deemed to be over the hill. I expect a big name or two to be cut for cap purposes.

If I were to hazard a guess at the largest need, I'd say offensive line. Donovan Smith is in a contract year and we don't have the money to resign him. Dotson is one of the oldest guys on the team (behind Fitzmagic and Grimes). Sweezy has been overpaid and perpetually hurt.

Thats potentially three open starting spots next year. Alex Cappa probably would take one of those spots, but that would still leave two open.

On the other hand, Dotson could still play well; he's still under contract next year and was probably our best offensive lineman when healthy. Donovan Smith could be resigned at market value and becoming a far more consistent pass protextor. Sweezy could come back healthy from his back injury and show us why we signed him in the first place. All that would make offensive line a position of relative strength in regards to depth and experience.

I'll have a much better idea a month into the season where I should focus my efforts.
Image
Cheb
 
Posts: 4037
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:00 pm
Location: West Coast is best coast
Has thanked: 79 times
Been thanked: 339 times

Re: Players We Should Be Watching (2019)

Postby MJW » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:05 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:JR Sweezy, on the other hand is 29 and after this season could be cut after June 1st with minimal dead money.


On this specific point, I think we have his replacement on the roster already, with Alex Cappa. If we did go OL early, I think it'd be for a right tackle for this reason. You know me, I'd love to upgrade from Donovan Smith, but I've accepted that he's cast some dark spell on OBP and they can't see his mediocrity.

Regardless, I think the plan is to have Cappa redshirt this season and take over for Sweezy next.
Image
User avatar
MJW
 
Posts: 8828
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:17 am
Location: Nebraska
Has thanked: 205 times
Been thanked: 385 times

Re: Players We Should Be Watching (2019)

Postby Rocker » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:43 am

MJW wrote: You know me, I'd love to upgrade from Donovan Smith, but I've accepted that he's cast some dark spell on OBP and they can't see his mediocrity.


Not again.

Here's a great look at why Donovan Smith will get a new deal, and why fans should be happy about it. Courtesy u/Steezewell:

Donovan Smith (Current contract-4yrs/$6,068,860; $1,162,571 due in 2018)

Will be 25 in 2019 *.Has never missed a game

10 sacks allowed and 32 penalties in 3,283 total snaps in his career

Has only ever missed 30 total snaps in his whole career, which came in the week 9 Saints game this past year.

LT’s are very hard to come by and Smith will most likely be highly overpaid.

Prime examples would be to look at players such as Russel Okung and Matt Kalil who both signed new contracts within the past years

Matt Kalil

Signed for 5yrs/$55.5mill with $25mill guaranteed

Has allowed 26.5 sacks and 24 penalties on 3,101 snaps (3 years)

I used 2014, 2015 and 2017 seasons as he was injured during the 2016 season and only played two games. I wanted to match Smith and Kalil with healthy seasons.

Smith has allowed 16.5 less sacks and only 8 more penalties on 182 more snaps

Russell Okung

Signed for 4yrs/$53mill with $25mill guaranteed

Has allowed 10 sacks and 19 penalties on 2,837 total snaps since the 2015 season.

Smith has allowed the same amount of sacks and 13 more penalties on 446 more snaps


Smith certainly could stand to clean up the penalties, but LT's don't grow on trees, and Donovan is doing fine.
Image
User avatar
Rocker
 
Posts: 3932
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:23 am
Location: Upper deck of the Old Sombrero
Has thanked: 224 times
Been thanked: 214 times

Re: Players We Should Be Watching (2019)

Postby Bootz2004 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:00 am

Rocker wrote:
MJW wrote: You know me, I'd love to upgrade from Donovan Smith, but I've accepted that he's cast some dark spell on OBP and they can't see his mediocrity.


Not again.

Here's a great look at why Donovan Smith will get a new deal, and why fans should be happy about it. Courtesy u/Steezewell:

Donovan Smith (Current contract-4yrs/$6,068,860; $1,162,571 due in 2018)

Will be 25 in 2019 *.Has never missed a game

10 sacks allowed and 32 penalties in 3,283 total snaps in his career

Has only ever missed 30 total snaps in his whole career, which came in the week 9 Saints game this past year.

LT’s are very hard to come by and Smith will most likely be highly overpaid.

Prime examples would be to look at players such as Russel Okung and Matt Kalil who both signed new contracts within the past years

Matt Kalil

Signed for 5yrs/$55.5mill with $25mill guaranteed

Has allowed 26.5 sacks and 24 penalties on 3,101 snaps (3 years)

I used 2014, 2015 and 2017 seasons as he was injured during the 2016 season and only played two games. I wanted to match Smith and Kalil with healthy seasons.

Smith has allowed 16.5 less sacks and only 8 more penalties on 182 more snaps

Russell Okung

Signed for 4yrs/$53mill with $25mill guaranteed

Has allowed 10 sacks and 19 penalties on 2,837 total snaps since the 2015 season.

Smith has allowed the same amount of sacks and 13 more penalties on 446 more snaps


Smith certainly could stand to clean up the penalties, but LT's don't grow on trees, and Donovan is doing fine.


Exactly. People here seem to have it in their minds that unless a LT gives up zero sacks, never commits a penalty, blocks cleanly and beautifully 100% of the time and pancakes defenders on every play then they need to be replaced.
User avatar
Bootz2004
 
Posts: 24337
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:17 pm
Has thanked: 97 times
Been thanked: 519 times

Re: Players We Should Be Watching (2019)

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:14 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
Rocker wrote:Smith certainly could stand to clean up the penalties, but LT's don't grow on trees, and Donovan is doing fine.


Exactly. People here seem to have it in their minds that unless a LT gives up zero sacks, never commits a penalty, blocks cleanly and beautifully 100% of the time and pancakes defenders on every play then they need to be replaced.


Yup, good point on his penalties needing to be cleaned up. But that is a common issue among young Olinemen as they learn what they can and can't get away with. Part of it is bad technique leading to him being forced to hold.

Smith has been a reliable starter at very important position. He's also still only 24yrs old and demonstrated that he's an acceding player.
Image
User avatar
DreadNaught
 
Posts: 13143
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:18 am
Has thanked: 541 times
Been thanked: 567 times

Re: Players We Should Be Watching (2019)

Postby Nano » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:22 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Rocker wrote:
Not again.

Here's a great look at why Donovan Smith will get a new deal, and why fans should be happy about it. Courtesy u/Steezewell:



Smith certainly could stand to clean up the penalties, but LT's don't grow on trees, and Donovan is doing fine.


Exactly. People here seem to have it in their minds that unless a LT gives up zero sacks, never commits a penalty, blocks cleanly and beautifully 100% of the time and pancakes defenders on every play then they need to be replaced.

"People here"? It's literally like 2 people that bag on Smith.
User avatar
Nano
 
Posts: 7648
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:30 pm
Location: Somewhere above Tampa
Has thanked: 29 times
Been thanked: 258 times

Re: Players We Should Be Watching (2019)

Postby MJW » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:22 pm

Anybody have the numbers on pressures allowed, or yards per rush to his side? I'm curious.
Image
User avatar
MJW
 
Posts: 8828
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:17 am
Location: Nebraska
Has thanked: 205 times
Been thanked: 385 times

Re: Players We Should Be Watching (2019)

Postby mdb1958 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:51 am

MJW wrote:Anybody have the numbers on pressures allowed, or yards per rush to his side? I'm curious.
Even if your right MJW, the only choice the Bucs have is to try and change the outcome or toss another high pick.
mdb1958
 
Posts: 9742
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:11 pm
Has thanked: 156 times
Been thanked: 91 times

Re: Players We Should Be Watching (2019)

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:05 am

Stud LTs are so rare that even just decent players at the position are valuable. I'm all for upgrading Donovan Smith, but it just isn't practical since guys better than him rarely come around. In fact you could argue he's one of the best young LTs in the game...
Image
real bucs fan
 
Posts: 8306
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:59 pm
Has thanked: 917 times
Been thanked: 119 times

Next

post

Return to College Football/Draft Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ken Carson and 16 guests