After the 2018 NFL draft comments

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Re: After the 2018 NFL draft comments

Postby Deuce » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:50 am

mdb1958 wrote:I know Smith and Evans got to meet a healthy dose of the NFL players last year (real and in their face) and maybe they can build off of that. This year any newbs that will get significant playing time will be blessed with that challenge.

Are you saying that rookies have no experience playing against NFL players? And that second-year players do? And that this experience will help them in the upcoming season?

Big if true.
Deuce

Postby mdb1958 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:22 pm

Deuce wrote:
mdb1958 wrote:I know Smith and Evans got to meet a healthy dose of the NFL players last year (real and in their face) and maybe they can build off of that. This year any newbs that will get significant playing time will be blessed with that challenge.

Are you saying that rookies have no experience playing against NFL players? And that second-year players do? And that this experience will help them in the upcoming season?

Big if true.

I was hoping for someone with better premium service stats MJW. One thing I was wondering was if we were going to miss McClain at all.

Who of our DB's were getting abused and on what down --------- stuff like that.

I know Smith and Evans got to meet a healthy dose of the NFL players last year (real and in their face) and maybe they can build off of that. This year any newbs that will get significant playing time will be blessed with that challenge.
mdb1958

Postby Deuce » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:03 pm

mdb1958 wrote:
Deuce wrote:

Big if true.

I was hoping for someone with better premium service stats MJW. One thing I was wondering was if we were going to miss McClain at all.

I know Smith and Evans got to meet a healthy dose of the NFL players last year (real and in their face) and maybe they can build off of that. This year any newbs that will get significant playing time will be blessed with that challenge.

Whoops...looks like mdb needs a reboot.
Deuce

Postby mdb1958 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:23 am

Deuce wrote:
mdb1958 wrote:

Um, no I was actually hoping for someone that pays for those extra stats to respond. I know quote clipping can be fun, I guess. This time I was really hoping to get a discussion going with our cornerbacks and the safety position. Things like reducing the overall amount of third down passes for first down, as well as the percentage.
mdb1958

Postby Cheb » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:54 am

mdb1958 wrote:
Deuce wrote:

Um, no I was actually hoping for someone that pays for those extra stats to respond. I know quote clipping can be fun, I guess. This time I was really hoping to get a discussion going with our cornerbacks and the safety position. Things like reducing the overall amount of third down passes for first down, as well as the percentage.

I'm always wary of advanced statistics that don't show their work. Besides, you don't need advanced metrics to know that outside of Grimes our corners last year were not good. Anyone who saw a Bucs game could tell you that.
Cheb

Postby mdb1958 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:25 pm

Cheb wrote:
mdb1958 wrote:

I'm always wary of advanced statistics that don't show their work. Besides, you don't need advanced metrics to know that outside of Grimes our corners last year were not good. Anyone who saw a Bucs game could tell you that.

Here ya go Cheb, I moved it to team discussions/off season.

http://nflsavant.com/game.php?team_code ... &stype=REG
mdb1958

Postby Doctor » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:36 am

Deuce wrote:

Big if true.

I've always thought so. I always hated how quickly last years class gets tossed aside if they don't have impact rookie years for the newer shiny class. I just look at the older class like "super rookies". They are still quite green but in a much more seasoned position and closer to hitting their level than the rookie class. Sure, some talented rookie get to speed faster than others, but most take time. I've been watching Ryan Smith play and I am very excited about him. More than I am any rookie DB he just signed. Yeah, he got worked over some by Julio, but a lot of CBs have. He's really grown a lot and he's taken a lot of punches to the mouth that these rookies have still yet to take.

And it's not popular here, because we all love starting rookies. But I think none of our rookies DBs start week 1. And believe it or not, that's a good thing. That fact that we have good enough veterans to keep rookies at bay is a *good* thing.
Doctor

Postby Deuce » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:00 pm

Doctor wrote:
Deuce wrote:

Big if true.

I've always thought so. I always hated how quickly last years class gets tossed aside if they don't have impact rookie years for the newer shiny class. I just look at the older class like "super rookies". They are still quite green but in a much more seasoned position and closer to hitting their level than the rookie class. Sure, some talented rookie get to speed faster than others, but most take time. I've been watching Ryan Smith play and I am very excited about him. More than I am any rookie DB he just signed. Yeah, he got worked over some by Julio, but a lot of CBs have. He's really grown a lot and he's taken a lot of punches to the mouth that these rookies have still yet to take.

And it's not popular here, because we all love starting rookies. But I think none of our rookies DBs start week 1. And believe it or not, that's a good thing. That fact that we have good enough veterans to keep rookies at bay is a *good* thing.

I was just messing with mdb. I think everyone can agree that rookies get experience and it helps them going forward. I wasn't making a comment on our rookies or anything.
Deuce

Previous

Return to College Football/Draft Talk