After the 2018 NFL draft comments

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Re: After the 2018 NFL draft comments

Postby real bucs fan » Fri May 18, 2018 10:15 am

This to me looks like another one of those great Licht drafts where we got ourselves 4 starters. I don't think we have any Day 1 stars, but I think there are some guys who could develop into that level.

Really hope 1 of Whitehead/Igwebuike emerge as a starter at SS. If that happens, then this could Licht's best draft class yet.
real bucs fan

Postby Cheb » Fri May 18, 2018 10:26 am

real bucs fan wrote:This to me looks like another one of those great Licht drafts where we got ourselves 4 starters. I don't think we have any Day 1 stars, but I think there are some guys who could develop into that level.

Really hope 1 of Whitehead/Igwebuike emerge as a starter at SS. If that happens, then this could Licht's best draft class yet.

It has excellent potential, to be sure. All six of our top picks could be getting significant snaps in the next few seasons, with Watson and Clichy the only real long shots. The nice thing is that we aren't reliant on any of our rookies making an immediate impact this year. They can be brought to fruition naturally instead of rushing the process out of desperation.

I look forward to seeing what they can do.
Cheb

Postby PrimeMinister » Fri May 18, 2018 5:07 pm

Cheb wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:This to me looks like another one of those great Licht drafts where we got ourselves 4 starters. I don't think we have any Day 1 stars, but I think there are some guys who could develop into that level.

It has excellent potential, to be sure. All six of our top picks could be getting significant snaps in the next few seasons, with Watson and Clichy the only real long shots. The nice thing is that we aren't reliant on any of our rookies making an immediate impact this year. They can be brought to fruition naturally instead of rushing the process out of desperation.

I think we’re relying on Jones and one of Stewart/Davis heavily.
PrimeMinister

Postby Cheb » Fri May 18, 2018 6:26 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
Cheb wrote:

We would all like them to be good enough to earn high snap counts, maybe even starting spots, but the season isn't collapsing if they don't contribute in a big way. Ditto with Vea, Cappa, and Whitehead.
Cheb

Postby PrimeMinister » Fri May 18, 2018 8:33 pm

Cheb wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:

We would all like them to be good enough to earn high snap counts, maybe even starting spots, but the season isn't collapsing if they don't contribute in a big way. Ditto with Vea, Cappa, and Whitehead.

If our running game is depending on Sims, Quizz and Barber we are screwed. None of them proved good enough last year. We need RoJo to make a difference ASAP. Vea doesn’t have to make an immediate difference on the team because the pass rush isn’t dependent on him. The run game will depend on RoJo taking what’s available and also making big plays. If he fails our offense will be one dimensional again.
PrimeMinister

Postby MJW » Fri May 18, 2018 10:55 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
Cheb wrote:

If our running game is depending on Sims, Quizz and Barber we are screwed. None of them proved good enough last year. We need RoJo to make a difference ASAP. Vea doesn’t have to make an immediate difference on the team because the pass rush isn’t dependent on him. The run game will depend on RoJo taking what’s available and also making big plays. If he fails our offense will be one dimensional again.

Our running game will depend on our line doing a better job than it did last year. No disrespect to Jones. If our moves on the interior don't yield much better run blocking, it won't matter a ton who runs the ball. We'll be bad again.
MJW

Postby MJW » Fri May 18, 2018 10:57 pm

real bucs fan wrote:This to me looks like another one of those great Licht drafts where we got ourselves 4 starters.

I agree. VHIII is a lockdown corner. Spence should be an instant impact rusher. Agauyo will likely be our kicker for ten yea-

Oh, sorry, wrong draft.

See how silly that sounds a month after the draft? Unless your team does Al Davis level crazy drafting, everyone feels good right now. Let's see them play before we plan the 2018 documentary on this class.
MJW

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri May 18, 2018 11:13 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
Cheb wrote:

I'd agree if we didn't have the QB and offensive fire power we had. Seeing as we do have those things, Rojo simply has to provide a bit more spark in the run game. The addition of Jensen probably means more in that regard anyway. But we aren't screwed if Rojo isn't competing for a rushing title this year. We're screwed if Jameis doesn't at least maintain his level of play or declines even. We're screwed if this defense doesn't step up in a big way.
Bootz2004

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sat May 19, 2018 7:25 am

MJW wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:This to me looks like another one of those great Licht drafts where we got ourselves 4 starters.

I agree. VHIII is a lockdown corner. Spence should be an instant impact rusher. Agauyo will likely be our kicker for ten yea-

Oh, sorry, wrong draft.

See how silly that sounds a month after the draft? Unless your team does Al Davis level crazy drafting, everyone feels good right now. Let's see them play before we plan the 2018 documentary on this class.

Nobody disagrees with you, but there's nothing wrong with being optimistic about potential.

The roster has the most talent its had in years and speculating how the rookies could add to that is not uncalled for.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat May 19, 2018 8:04 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
MJW wrote:

Oh, sorry, wrong draft.

Nobody disagrees with you, but there's nothing wrong with being optimistic about potential.

The roster has the most talent its had in years and speculating how the rookies could add to that is not uncalled for.

She's a shell of her former self. Now all she does is ridicule, criticize and bring nothing but negativity.

RBF simply said looks like we got 4 starters. Didn't even say 4 top notch, elite starters like he's prone to do. Just 4 starters. Long term I could agree and I optimistically hope that's the case.
Bootz2004

Postby real bucs fan » Sat May 19, 2018 9:24 am

MJW wrote:

Oh, sorry, wrong draft.

Licht has had 2 great drafts and 2 poor drafts. If you read my post, I was simply saying this looks like one of those great drafts.

In that poor draft you highlighted, I think even the most optimistic person thought we had 2 long term starters in VHIII and Spence. This was due to the terrible trade we made to move up for Aguayo.

This draft was highlighted by a marvellous trade that essentially added 2 potential long term starters to our draft class.
real bucs fan

Postby Doctor » Mon May 21, 2018 8:48 am

I personally love targetting what looked like promising stars who were derailed by injury in the later rounds.

I don't think people realize just how little Rojo has to do here to have a huge impact.
Doctor

Postby real bucs fan » Mon May 21, 2018 11:06 pm

Doctor wrote:I personally love targetting what looked like promising stars who were derailed by injury in the later rounds.

I don't think people realize just how little Rojo has to do here to have a huge impact.

Very few posters realize how putrid our run game has been and the major negative impact it has had on the rest of the football team. I for one am anticipating a fantastic season and am more excited than I was last year by quite a bit.
real bucs fan

Postby Rocker » Tue May 22, 2018 9:08 am

real bucs fan wrote:
Doctor wrote:I personally love targetting what looked like promising stars who were derailed by injury in the later rounds.

Very few posters realize how putrid our run game has been and the major negative impact it has had on the rest of the football team. I for one am anticipating a fantastic season and am more excited than I was last year by quite a bit.

Take your agenda and GTFO. Everyone knows we couldn’t run the ball last year. The disagreement was with how to fix it.
Rocker

Postby Buc You » Tue May 22, 2018 9:12 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:CLE- Outside of Calloway, pretty good.

If that douche canoe gets his head on straight he's going to be explosive.
Buc You

Postby real bucs fan » Tue May 22, 2018 10:02 am

Rocker wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:Very few posters realize how putrid our run game has been and the major negative impact it has had on the rest of the football team. I for one am anticipating a fantastic season and am more excited than I was last year by quite a bit.

Take your agenda and GTFO. Everyone knows we couldn’t run the ball last year. The disagreement was with how to fix it.

You mean my agenda of making the football team better?
real bucs fan

Postby Rocker » Tue May 22, 2018 10:29 am

real bucs fan wrote:
Rocker wrote:

You mean my agenda of making the football team better?

Yeah. Sure.
Rocker

Postby real bucs fan » Tue May 22, 2018 10:57 am

Rocker wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:You mean my agenda of making the football team better?

Yeah. Sure.

:lol:
real bucs fan

Postby MJW » Tue May 22, 2018 10:56 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Nobody disagrees with you, but there's nothing wrong with being optimistic about potential.

She's a shell of her former self. Now all she does is ridicule, criticize and bring nothing but negativity.

Sorry, was I on your turf?
MJW

Postby VauntedTampa2 » Wed May 23, 2018 1:41 am

Boom.
VauntedTampa2

Postby theBKwhopper » Sat May 26, 2018 1:46 pm

Why have we given up on VH3 and Spence? Some players take time to develop and/or get things together. I like what I've seen from Spence, despite his injuries. And, I VH3 flashed some good potential. Hopefully this new competition brings out the best in everyone.
theBKwhopper

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat May 26, 2018 1:51 pm

theBKwhopper wrote:Why have we given up on VH3 and Spence? Some players take time to develop and/or get things together. I like what I've seen from Spence, despite his injuries. And, I VH3 flashed some good potential. Hopefully this new competition brings out the best in everyone.

Because they aren't the new guys anymore. Most fans believe the best options for teams are always the new guys. Happens all the time. The new guy isn't always the best guy. But casuals can't help themselves.
Bootz2004

Postby Cheb » Sat May 26, 2018 2:13 pm

theBKwhopper wrote:Why have we given up on VH3 and Spence? Some players take time to develop and/or get things together. I like what I've seen from Spence, despite his injuries. And, I VH3 flashed some good potential. Hopefully this new competition brings out the best in everyone.

I haven't given up on either player. I've just tempered my expectations.

I don't hold Spence's injuries against him. If he were healthy, I think he would have already contributed to our team in a big way. Assuming he's healthy this year, he should be a valuable part of the defensive end rotation, likely primarily as a situational rusher. I'm willing to give him time.

In VH3's case I'm less patient. He lost his starting outside spot last year after allowing a shitton of yards and catches. He has to fight for his job this year and rightly so. I would weep no tears if he got benched in favor of a cornerback who isn't scared to contest the receiver.
Cheb

Postby terrytate » Sun May 27, 2018 3:16 pm

Cheb wrote:

I haven't given up on either player. I've just tempered my expectations.

I don't hold Spence's injuries against him. If he were healthy, I think he would have already contributed to our team in a big way. Assuming he's healthy this year, he should be a valuable part of the defensive end rotation, likely primarily as a situational rusher. I'm willing to give him time.

In VH3's case I'm less patient. He lost his starting outside spot last year after allowing a shitton of yards and catches. He has to fight for his job this year and rightly so. I would weep no tears if he got benched in favor of a cornerback who isn't scared to contest the receiver.

All of the above. In VH3's case, I can only hope an improved pass rush rejuvenates his play. It's possible he got scared to press receivers because they would have 8 seconds to work free and get open. Then again, it's possible he's just a bust. It does happen.
terrytate

Postby real bucs fan » Sun May 27, 2018 6:58 pm

I don't think either are going to be pure busts. I think as long as they can stay healthy, both will be at the least nickel players- VHIII in the slot and Spence as a rusher.
real bucs fan

Postby real bucs fan » Mon May 28, 2018 8:33 pm

SSS but Hargreaves was a top 10 Nickel in yards/coversnap giving up 80%(!) less yards than he did at outside CB (according to PFF)
real bucs fan

Postby theBKwhopper » Tue May 29, 2018 5:17 pm

real bucs fan wrote:I don't think either are going to be pure busts. I think as long as they can stay healthy, both will be at the least nickel players- VHIII in the slot and Spence as a rusher.

I see this as the most likely scenario. I hope for better, though.
theBKwhopper

Postby mdb1958 » Thu May 31, 2018 8:17 pm

Does anyone have any charts of how all our DB's graded out for our team last year?
mdb1958

Postby MJW » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:23 am

mdb1958 wrote:Does anyone have any charts of how all our DB's graded out for our team last year?

MJW

Postby mdb1958 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:58 am

I was hoping for someone with better premium service stats MJW. One thing I was wondering was if we were going to miss McClain at all.

Who of our DB's were getting abused and on what down --------- stuff like that.

I know Smith and Evans got to meet a healthy dose of the NFL players last year (real and in their face) and maybe they can build off of that. This year any newbs that will get significant playing time will be blessed with that challenge.
mdb1958

PreviousNext

Return to College Football/Draft Talk