The who you would have drafted thread

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
The who you would have drafted thread

Postby real bucs fan » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:35 am

Basically, put it down who you would have selected at each pick.

For myself:

12: Derwin James, S
-Top guy on my board at a major position of need.

38: Josh Jackson, CB
-The dropoff at CB after him, made him the guy I wanted entering Day 2 as I'd have gambled on getting the RB at 53.

53: Derrius Guice, RB
-Obviously some character stuff caused him to drop, and not the guy I expected here, but he was the remaining top RB of the big 6 and he's certainly got talent.

63: Lorenzo Carter, Edge
-With our needs addressed, I'd go BPA here and for me that would have been Carter.

94: Mo Hurst, DT
-He fell far enough that I could get him at 117 with the benefit of hindsight, but I would have taken him here assuming he got the greenlight from doctors

117: Will Richardson, RT/G
-Has some red flags, but definite upside as a future replacement for Dotson and can compete at guard right away if Sweezy is hurt.

144: Tim Settle, DT
-Not a need, but great value here and insurance since Hurst is a possible miss due to the heart issue.

202: Greg Stroman, CB
-Adds more depth to the CB room.
real bucs fan

Re: The who you would have drafted thread

Postby Cheb » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:46 am

Is this who we would have selected at the time, or who we would have selected in hindsight since we know how the draft went down?
Cheb

Postby real bucs fan » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:48 am

Cheb wrote:Is this who we would have selected at the time, or who we would have selected in hindsight since we know how the draft went down?

I went with who I would have selected at the time, but you can do both. The only real difference for me would have been waiting on Hurst another round but I guess that would have changed everything after that pick. My top 4 picks here are the same regardless.

ETA
With the benefit of hindsight, I'd probably stay with Cappa at the Hurst pick, and take Hurst with the Richardson pick.
real bucs fan

Postby Heidguy » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:58 pm

Kerryon Johnson, he could have competed for the starting job and has great hands out of the backfield.
Heidguy

Postby BucJordan » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:10 pm

Without hindsight:

1) Derwin James
2a) Derrius Guice
2b) Isaiah Oliver
2c) BJ Hill
3) Dorance Armstrong
4) Avonte Maddox
5) Tyrell Crosby
6) Equanimeous St. Brown

Hindsight:
1) Vita Vea
2a) James Daniels
2b) Derrius Guice
2c) Carlton Davis
3) Dorance Armstrong
4) Shaquem Griffin
5) John Kelly
6) Equanimeous St. Brown
BucJordan

Postby Cheb » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:02 pm

I would also have opted for the trade down with Buffalo

First round - 12th overall - Vita Vea, DT. Slam dunk DT.
Second round - 38th overall - James Daniels, OL. Swiss army lineman, likely starts over Sweezy.
Second round - 53rd overall - Jesse Bates, S. He is a day one starter at safety next to Evans.
Second round - 63rd overall - Carlton Davis, CB. Great corner prospect, excellent value. CB2 over VH3?
Third round - 94th overall - Nyheim Hines, RB. Homerun hitter, fast as hell, can return kicks, gadget player.
Fourth round - 117th overall - Will Richardson, OT. Our future right tackle, offers insurance if Dot comes back from surgery poorly.
Fifth round - 144th overall - Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, DE. Developmental edge rusher with burst for days. I like his game.
Sixth round - 202 overall - Equanimeous St Brown, WR. Amazing size/speed combo, good character, great developmental guy. Has the best name in the draft.

Here's the link for last year's thread on the same topic: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3040
Cheb

Postby MJW » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:10 pm

1) Marcus Davenport
2A) Derrius Guice
2B) Isaiah Oliver
2C) Justin Reid
3) Harrison Phillips (Since we didn't draft Vea)
4) Tyrell Crosby
5) Jamarco Jones
6) Equamineous St. Brown

The actual layout of the draft doesn't change that much really. 2 DL instead of 1. 2 DB and 2 OL, instead of 3 DB and 1 OL. 1 developmental WR. 1 RB. No LB, though.
MJW

Postby Naismith » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:41 pm

12. Vita Vea
38. James Daniels
53. Derrius Guice
63. Josh Sweat
94. Desmond Harrison
117. Shaquem Griffin
144. Tarvarus McFadden
202. Jullian Taylor

This is assuming Maurice Hurst was off our board. If not, I probably would have taken him at 38.
Naismith

Postby Agent Orange » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:48 pm

I am going to consider that the trades are completed and we are picking where we picked. Otherwise I personally would have been trying to trade Jameis to the Bills so I could pick Josh Allen myself. Also, I have done these in years past. No disrespect intended towards the guys we did pick. I think we came out of this draft much improved. Time to dominate!

1. Vita Vea DT Washington - I will stick with him here knowing what we know. There are a few things to consider here like taking James but I think if we can get Reid later in the 2nd we don't need James. Our line is going to be collapsing the pocket and stuffing short yardage all year long. Secondary is much improved already because of this pick.

2. Josh Jackson CB Iowa - Knowing now that we can get Guice later I go for the top ranked CB in this draft. 8 INTs, 18 passes broken up and 48 tackles. With our line creating all kinds of pressure he can get out there and ballhawk. He is an aggressive tackler as well so on quick screens we're good.

2. Derrius Guice RB LSU - At this point in the draft unless you knew something serious you take him here. He is a steal here. Even if some worse stuff comes out RBs are not hard to replace so worth the risk here.

2. Justin Reid S Stanford - taking two CBs to convert to safety concerns me. I would just rather take a day 1 starter here.

3. Doran O'Daniel LB Clemson - If you are going to jump up you do it for a recognized talent. We have some good linebackers but they are having some difficulty staying healthy. We need a safety net and I bet he would end up starting for us due to injury and performing well enough to stay in the rotation.

4. Anthony Averett CB Alabama - Ran a 4.36 40 at the combine. In the 4th round you are looking for guys who you can take a waiver on. Possible kick or punt returner if he doesn't make it as a CB. We need more speed.

Don't have time for the rest tonight...
Agent Orange

Postby Bootz2004 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:51 pm

I’m seeing a ton of the same names.
Bootz2004

Postby Deja Entendu » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:38 pm

The only player I was genuinely upset passing on was Guice. No disrespect to Jones (I have been able to get excited about his potential), but I saw Guice as the most complete back in the draft. I never thought he'd be there for us in the second... what a roller-coaster that was.

Time will tell if there was fire causing all of that smoke. Either way, I'll be more than happy to have Jones show why Licht & Co. we're smarter than me.
Deja Entendu

Postby real bucs fan » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:47 pm

Deja Entendu wrote:The only player I was genuinely upset passing on was Guice. No disrespect to Jones (I have been able to get excited about his potential), but I saw Guice as the most complete back in the draft. I never thought he'd be there for us in the second... what a roller-coaster that was.

Time will tell if there was fire causing all of that smoke. Either way, I'll be more than happy to have Jones show why Licht & Co. we're smarter than me.

If there are legit concerns with Guice I think Jones was the right pick. He may not be as well rounded as Guice, but his strengths are stronger and align more with what we need- plus he's got top notch character to top it off.
real bucs fan

Postby Naismith » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:09 am

real bucs fan wrote:plus he's got top notch character to top it off.

What are you basing this off of? The only comment I saw regarding his character leading up to the draft was this:

https://twitter.com/LanceZierlein/statu ... 9965803522

Now heard from more than one team who has been turned off by how "dismissive" Ronald Jones has been during their discussions with him. Caught both teams way off guard.
Naismith

Postby real bucs fan » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:15 am

Naismith wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:plus he's got top notch character to top it off.

What are you basing this off of? The only comment I saw regarding his character leading up to the draft was this:

https://twitter.com/LanceZierlein/statu ... 9965803522

Now heard from more than one team who has been turned off by how "dismissive" Ronald Jones has been during their discussions with him. Caught both teams way off guard.

TBH, that was a bit more glowing than I intended. I meant more that everything I've heard/read is that he's a nice guy who'll fit into any lockerroom, who'll work hard, and stay out of trouble off the field. And if you watch interviews with Jones (and interviews is where I try and get a sense of a guy's character since it's the best resource I have), and I've watched dozens, he really just seems like a chill dude who wants to work hard and play football.

I usually avoid trying to talk about character since I've never met these guys, but sometimes it plays a major role in the draft and as a draftnik it occasionally needs to be discussed. Jason Licht has said that the big misses he had in the draft were due to missing on the person not the talent, and I think it's pretty clear that the Bucs valued Jones more as a person than Guice- and Guice is an obvious headcase on the field and it seems he might be one off of it too if you believe recent reports.
real bucs fan

Postby Ken Carson » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:12 am

An observation for the Joshua Jackson fans out there...

Both MJ Stewart and Carlton Davis started over 30 games at CB. Jackson started 13. He had a very productive year, but given the mercurial nature of DB stats, are you supremely confident that he is the better player than both guys we got?
Ken Carson

Postby real bucs fan » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:16 am

Ken Carson wrote:An observation for the Joshua Jackson fans out there...

Both MJ Stewart and Carlton Davis started over 30 games at CB. Jackson started 13. He had a very productive year, but given the mercurial nature of DB stats, are you supremely confident that he is the better player than both guys we got?

Put on that Jackson tape against Ohio State. The big difference is he takes the ball away-his ball skills are insane for a DB.
real bucs fan

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:16 am

1 thing I've noticed about Jason Licht is he drafts guys who have a lot of experience playing and starting. Especially guys he drafts early. No surprise he opted to do so here and with Vita over James.
Bootz2004

Postby mdb1958 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:34 pm

I'll go with yes.
Yes also with Jaire Alexander.
The Packers killed it.
mdb1958

Postby Super K » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:38 pm

mdb1958 wrote:

I'll go with yes.
The Packers killed it.

The hell with Jackson, I still can't believe we passed Isaiah Oliver...
Super K

Postby Cheb » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:56 pm

Super K wrote:
mdb1958 wrote:

I'll go with yes.
The Packers killed it.

Oliver isn't physical. He's the king of 7-on-7 flag football. Just like Kenny Bell.

If you were to ask me what Stewart and Davis have in common, I would answer their physicality. Drafting them both in the second betrays an obvious intent.
Cheb

Postby Ken Carson » Tue May 01, 2018 10:27 am

Bootz2004 wrote:

1 thing I've noticed about Jason Licht is he drafts guys who have a lot of experience playing and starting. Especially guys he drafts early. No surprise he opted to do so here and with Vita over James.

I think he definitely prefers early round guys who should be able to play right away. Both Stewart and Davis played against the highest level of competition for 3 seasons, so there was a lot of tape on both, and they have as much experience as any CBs drafted.

I guess the point I was trying to make is that experience seemed to be a major factor in both selections. These are guys the Bucs think will be starters sooner rather than later.
Ken Carson

Postby terrytate » Tue May 01, 2018 11:49 am

Cheb wrote:
Super K wrote:

Oliver isn't physical. He's the king of 7-on-7 flag football. Just like Kenny Bell.

If you were to ask me what Stewart and Davis have in common, I would answer their physicality. Drafting them both in the second betrays an obvious intent.

That seeme to be a pretty consistent theme in Licht-Smith defensive players. Even the smaller guys, like Kwon, are pretty physical.
terrytate

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue May 01, 2018 11:52 am

terrytate wrote:
Cheb wrote:

That seeme to be a pretty consistent theme in Licht-Smith defensive players. Even the smaller guys, like Kwon, are pretty physical.

He is a Lovie Smith guy but point taken
Bootz2004

Postby Doctor » Tue May 01, 2018 1:02 pm

IDK if I would have traded down at all, I may have stayed pat and taken Minkah at 7 honestly.

Also would have opted for Guice and Oliver as well.
Doctor

Postby APiratesLifeForMe » Tue May 01, 2018 2:43 pm

Round1 - Pick 12 (12): Vita Vea, DT, Washington

Summary: Would have taken Minka here, but the trade killed that. I probably still would have made the trade though even knowing Minka would be gone. Really, really happy with the Vea pick!

Round2 - Pick 6 (38): Josh Jackson, CB, Iowa

Summary: IMHO, Jackson is the most pro-ready CB in this draft and arguably has the most potential too. Some scouts had him rated ahead of Ward.

Round2 - Pick 21 (53): Ronald Jones, RB, USC

Summary: I would definitely have taken Jackson at 38 and hoped for Jones to slide down here. If he was still available, then I'd take Jones here. If not then would have taken Guice, baggage and all and have Alexander mentor him. If Jones was gone and I had info on Guice suggesting he was undraftable, I would have taken Oliver here.

Round2 - Pick 31 (63): Justin Reid, S, Stanford

Summary: Davis isn't a bad pick, but I just love Justin Reid and would have already taken Jackson above. I believe Reid is going to be a star in this league. Not taking him here may turn out to be the biggest mistake of our draft.

I have the draft recorded but unfortunately, haven't had the time to watch the rest of it yet and/or analyze which players were still available after those picks.
APiratesLifeForMe

Postby RobR » Wed May 02, 2018 10:27 am

real bucs fan wrote:Basically, put it down who you would have selected at each pick.

For myself:

12: Derwin James, S
-Top guy on my board at a major position of need.

38: Josh Jackson, CB
-The dropoff at CB after him, made him the guy I wanted entering Day 2 as I'd have gambled on getting the RB at 53.

53: Derrius Guice, RB
-Obviously some character stuff caused him to drop, and not the guy I expected here, but he was the remaining top RB of the big 6 and he's certainly got talent.

63: Lorenzo Carter, Edge
-With our needs addressed, I'd go BPA here and for me that would have been Carter.

94: Mo Hurst, DT
-He fell far enough that I could get him at 117 with the benefit of hindsight, but I would have taken him here assuming he got the greenlight from doctors

117: Will Richardson, RT/G
-Has some red flags, but definite upside as a future replacement for Dotson and can compete at guard right away if Sweezy is hurt.

144: Tim Settle, DT
-Not a need, but great value here and insurance since Hurst is a possible miss due to the heart issue.

202: Greg Stroman, CB
-Adds more depth to the CB room.

I'm generally happy with our picks but I would've gone for..

1-1-12 - S Derwin James
2-6-38 - CB Josh Jackson
2-21-53 - RB Derrius Guice
2-31-63 - DE Arden Key
3-30-94 - DT Tim Settle
4-17-117 - DT Maurice Hurst
5-7-144 - OG Tyrell Crosby
6-28-202 - CB Holton Hill
RobR

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed May 02, 2018 11:17 am

Going to be brutally honest with myself here. I'll presume I approved all trades.

12. I would have taken...and thought we were taking...Darrius Guice because I am stupid.

38. I would have taken Josh Jackson

53. I would have taken Ronnie Harrison who was my #3 saftey after Minkah and James.

63. I like to think I would have grabbed Davis here after looking hard for the O-line I have neglected so far.

94. desperate for some O-line help, I would have grabbed Brian Allen to kick out to Guard

117. I think I would have been good to take a flyer on Mo Hurst at this point.

144. I'd have grabbed Jamarco Jones here. I've been interested in him for a couple years now.

202. I would have enthusiastically drafted my 2018 man-crush Hercules Mata'afa (he went undrafted)

Undrafted targets

Godwin. Very happy with this pickup
Sean Welsh, G Iowa
Ike Bottager, OT, Iowa
Will Clapp, G, LSU
Skai Moore, OLB S. Carolina
Dominick Sanders, S Georgia
Quentin Meeks, CB Stanford Whom I might have drafted over Carlton Davis
Tavares Mc Fadden, CB FSU for kick duties and corner rotation
Eq. St. Brown for kick duties and WR rotation
Christian Lacoture DT, LSU who I may have drafted instead of Jones.

Basically, I would not have drafted as well as Licht.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby real bucs fan » Wed May 02, 2018 12:34 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:Going to be brutally honest with myself here. I'll presume I approved all trades.

12. I would have taken...and thought we were taking...Darrius Guice because I am stupid.

38. I would have taken Josh Jackson

53. I would have taken Ronnie Harrison who was my #3 saftey after Minkah and James.

63. I like to think I would have grabbed Davis here after looking hard for the O-line I have neglected so far.

94. desperate for some O-line help, I would have grabbed Brian Allen to kick out to Guard

117. I think I would have been good to take a flyer on Mo Hurst at this point.

144. I'd have grabbed Jamarco Jones here. I've been interested in him for a couple years now.

202. I would have enthusiastically drafted my 2018 man-crush Hercules Mata'afa (he went undrafted)

Undrafted targets

Godwin. Very happy with this pickup
Sean Welsh, G Iowa
Ike Bottager, OT, Iowa
Will Clapp, G, LSU
Skai Moore, OLB S. Carolina
Dominick Sanders, S Georgia
Quentin Meeks, CB Stanford Whom I might have drafted over Carlton Davis
Tavares Mc Fadden, CB FSU for kick duties and corner rotation
Eq. St. Brown for kick duties and WR rotation
Christian Lacoture DT, LSU who I may have drafted instead of Jones.

Basically, I would not have drafted as well as Licht.

To be fair to yourself, Guice clearly fell because of some sort of character issues that we as fans really have no idea about.
real bucs fan

Return to College Football/Draft Talk