In the 2019 NFL draft, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers select...

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Re: In the 2019 NFL draft, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers select..

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:43 pm

If he ain't from Florida State, Ima tweet about how mad I am!
Mountaineer Buc

Postby theBKwhopper » Tue May 01, 2018 1:05 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:If he ain't from Florida State, Ima tweet about how mad I am!

Hahaha
theBKwhopper

Postby terrytate » Tue May 01, 2018 11:58 am

MJW wrote:
Super K wrote:MJW, I know this causes many of you heartburn because we've essentially tried to run the same personnel scheme upfront for 20+ years now (outside of the Bates debacle)...

But imagine a 4-3 where instead of having a knifing 3 tech, our 3 tech was more powerful/big than quick/fast...

To kind of pull from TD a bit, imagine Allen or StevieT at NT with Vea at the 3...

THAT'S our future...

You could be right. Though I wouldn't simply declare that this is the plan in place because of the Vea pick. I think if we're in a position to draft a Sapp/McCoy/Aaron Donald/John Randle type like Ed Oliver, Christian Wilkins (a McCoy clone), etc, we will.

It's less being a Bucs fan and more being a football fan, but if you're running a 4-3, I think you need a guy who can provide an interior rush.

I tend to agree, but every DT that has been brought in has been in more of the mauler mold more than the McCoy sackmaster mold. That's the way Mike Smith worked in Jax too, he had two physical DTs that didnt get a lot of sacks but caused disruption.
terrytate

Postby Phantom Phenom » Sun May 13, 2018 7:24 am

Greg Little OL from University of Mississippi

Phantom Phenom

Postby Konatown » Mon May 14, 2018 11:18 am

Projecting some needs for next year, OL (RG or RT depending if Cappa works out), CB (again if our young CBS pan out), SS, DL. Possibly MLB if we let Kwon walk.
Konatown

Postby Hatter » Tue May 15, 2018 5:10 am

Konatown wrote:Projecting some needs for next year, OL (RG or RT depending if Cappa works out), CB (again if our young CBS pan out), SS, DL. Possibly MLB if we let Kwon walk.

Beckwith will own that spot sooner or later.
Hatter

Postby Konatown » Tue May 15, 2018 6:42 am

Hatter wrote:
Konatown wrote:Projecting some needs for next year, OL (RG or RT depending if Cappa works out), CB (again if our young CBS pan out), SS, DL. Possibly MLB if we let Kwon walk.

Beckwith will own that spot sooner or later.

One would think, if Kwon walks. But I think we get creative and find a way to keep him. He’s a captain/pro bowler (even though it may not be warranted IMO).

If we do let him walk, it could be interesting because Beckwith is a thumper at MLB, maybe they want the athletic type ala Rashaan Evans?

But I’m hoping we go OL/DL heavy again next year early in the draft. Shore up Dot or Sweezy’s replacement or get a young edge to groom behind JPP or Curry.

Is it August yet?
Konatown

Postby MJW » Fri May 18, 2018 1:45 am

Where the 53 is at on paper, it's fair to say that the way the staff feels about the 2018 draft class in a year will determine the 2019 draft class. The only position where there isn't someone that feels like exciting young talent on some level (again, on paper) is right tackle. And hey, maybe OBP likes Benenoch as that guy. But Watson, Whitehead, Jones, Igwebuike, Stewart, Davis, Cappa - they'll determine what feels like a huge need next April. Watson and Whitehead especially. Jones and Cappa will get another year to show their stuff as Day Two picks. But if OBP doesn't feel good about Watson or Whitehead/Igwebuike going foward, those positions will be targeted again.
MJW

Postby Doctor » Mon May 21, 2018 9:02 am

Super K wrote:
Nano wrote:...I'm seriously hoping we're not drafting either of those guys...

...Cause they're both projected top 5 picks at this point. Especially Oliver, who most say will be the first defensive player off the board and could go as high as 2nd overall.

Agreed...

I'll throw my hat in the ring with:

Zach Allen DE Boston College
6'5" 285lbs

If he continues to improve, I think he'll end up being one of those later 1st/early 2nd DE picks...

And his size fits what we seem to be looking to do with our DL/DE group...

The days of us trotting out 245lb-255lb rushers, from the DE spot, are over...

Side note, ya better produce this year Spence...just sayin..

:drinkingcheers:
Doctor

Postby Phantom Phenom » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:43 pm

QB-Will Grier from West Virginia University
Phantom Phenom

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:43 pm

Phantom Phenom wrote:QB-Will Grier from West Virginia University

And grab his favorite target, David Sills in the 2nd.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby MJW » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:26 pm

I've mentioned this elsewhere, but I really question his deep arm. He has to get a ton of torque to put the ball in the air deep. Usually when he does, there's more air then you'd like, and there's often a wobble. There are a lot of throws I've watched that most QBs would snap off with arm strength, but he has to load up like an outfielder trying to throw a runner out at home. His receivers are usually open enough that it doesn't matter at this level.

Best and most generous comp I see is Jeff Garcia. I don't think the post-season will do him any favors.
MJW

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:34 pm

MJW wrote:

I've mentioned this elsewhere, but I really question his deep arm. He has to get a ton of torque to put the ball in the air deep. Usually when he does, there's more air then you'd like, and there's often a wobble. There are a lot of throws I've watched that most QBs would snap off with arm strength, but he has to load up like an outfielder trying to throw a runner out at home. His receivers are usually open enough that it doesn't matter at this level.

Best and most generous comp I see is Jeff Garcia. I don't think the post-season will do him any favors.

I'll look for that because that would be fair criticism. But I can't say at this point whether your take is right or wrong.

We should see feet planted, hip and body twist with the ball up and eyes on target.

Flip side is Bryce Petty came out of Baylor with excellent torque, power and good accuracy and he hasn't done **** in the NFL.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Super K » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:43 pm

I agree that we should draft a QB next year, but it should/will be a developmental type guy....NOT a top of the draft type guy...

I've read a bunch on here and other sites and watched a good amount of tape... specifically for/on guys that would be more middle tier...

Justice Hansen (Arkansas State) is probably the kid I like the most (right now)...

Decent size, strong arm, likes to go deep and athletic enough to run a bit...

Much better with his accuracy in his Jr year (2017)....

Shout out to Tre Sikkema for pointing me in his direction...
Super K

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:10 am

If you want to replace Grimes this offseason in the first round, right now you're looking at Greedy Williams out of LSU or Deandre Baker from Georgia who I really like.

If you want to beef up the right side of the O-line, you have some real nice Tackles to choose from in the first. If you want to leave Smith on the left, then your top RT is Dalton Risner from Kansas State followed by David Edwards from Wisconsin, there's also taking any of the left tackles in this draft and sending them to the right side which you could do with Greg Little from Ole Miss or Jonah Williams from Alabama.

If your username is real bucs fan and you want the top RB in the draft every year, prepare to be disappointed. We may only see Bryce Love go in the first next spring. and that means we really need Rojo to make good.

Unless we are picking in the top 3 next draft, you can forget about Nick Bosa or Clelin Farrell. Not a great DE class.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Jason Bourne » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:38 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:If you want to replace Grimes this offseason in the first round, right now you're looking at Greedy Williams out of LSU or Deandre Baker from Georgia who I really like.

If you want to beef up the right side of the O-line, you have some real nice Tackles to choose from in the first. If you want to leave Smith on the left, then your top RT is Dalton Risner from Kansas State followed by David Edwards from Wisconsin, there's also taking any of the left tackles in this draft and sending them to the right side which you could do with Greg Little from Ole Miss or Jonah Williams from Alabama.

If your username is real bucs fan and you want the top RB in the draft every year, prepare to be disappointed. We may only see Bryce Love go in the first next spring. and that means we really need Rojo to make good.

Unless we are picking in the top 3 next draft, you can forget about Nick Bosa or Clelin Farrell. Not a great DE class.

Austin Lawrence and christian wilkins are pretty good as well...Wilkins is a Gerald McCoy clone i think.
Jason Bourne

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:42 am

CB or DE.

It's actually being hyped as a pretty good DE/EDGE draft class. Bosa and Ferrell are the headliners, but there is some other 1st round talent and depth to that position.

Not to be a homer but this kid Jachai Polite for the Gators is making himself some money. He's been a beast for us off the edge.

Bucs need a plan at RT. Might be able squeeze one more season out of Dotson in 2019, but we're on borrowed time there almost imo.
DreadNaught

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:56 am

DreadNaught wrote:Bucs need a plan at RT. Might be able squeeze one more season out of Dotson in 2019, but we're on borrowed time there almost imo.

I'm ready to sell that stock after this season. I'm fine with keeping him on the roster through 2019, but after going to the well of Brent Grimes one too many times, I think its time to invest at the position. If Dotson can't make the team next year, it'll save $4.7M in cap space. Dotson is 32 years old and this is a good class of tackles and I think we would be foolish to not go out and find some young talent.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:19 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:Bucs need a plan at RT. Might be able squeeze one more season out of Dotson in 2019, but we're on borrowed time there almost imo.

I'm ready to sell that stock after this season. I'm fine with keeping him on the roster through 2019, but after going to the well of Brent Grimes one too many times, I think its time to invest at the position. If Dotson can't make the team next year, it'll save $4.7M in cap space. Dotson is 32 years old and this is a good class of tackles and I think we would be foolish to not go out and find some young talent.

It's certainly a position we should be looking at if the value/player falls right.

I think in round 1 we'll need to address the defense. Mainly guys who can cover or rush the QB.
DreadNaught

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:02 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:

It's certainly a position we should be looking at if the value/player falls right.

I think in round 1 we'll need to address the defense. Mainly guys who can cover or rush the QB.

Agreed if it is not addressed in Free agency first which is Licht's MO going into draft season. Still, i look at upcoming free agent corners, Ends, and Right tackles and its tough to get excited.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Selmon Rules » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:17 pm

I want to see guys who either take the qb to the ground or keep him clean, that is all
Sig currently being held hostage by Photobucket, will return next fall
Selmon Rules

Postby Cheb » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:44 pm

Is it against the rules to draft a defensive coordinator?

Asking for a friend.
Cheb

Postby Konatown » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:36 am

As of now. Positions we need are RG/RT (hopefully Cappa takes care of one of these), Safety, DE, CB.

If I had to get one player right now I’d really like to see Christian Wilkins in a Bucs uni. Rotate he/Vea/McCoy for a year then pair Wilkins and Vea for the foreseeable future.
Konatown

Postby MJW » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:00 am

It's hard to say what our needs will be for sure.

For example...

Does the next OBP trust/like VHIII? How about Ryan Smith? Those answers will be a huge part of whether we target a corner.

Do Beau Allen and Mitch Unrein have roles on the 2019 Bucs?

Does Alex Cappa show enough to move to the head of the line at RG?

Will we do what everyone is assuming, and re-sign all of Smith, Marpet, Kwon, and Winston?

Does Rojo show anything? Or does Barber show more? Or both, or neither?

Do D-Jax and Hump play on the 2019 Buccaneers? Does Watson?

Does Dotson have another year left as the guy? How about two?

Do JPP and Curry play well enough down the stretch that a young DE doesn't seem as urgent? Or does the next coach like Noah Spence?

So on, and so forth.

I'm confident in putting this out there - we need another safety. We need another tackle. We probably need another edge rusher. From there, not sure.
MJW

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:42 am

We’ll see how Whitehead finishes the year, but I’ve liked what I’ve seen.

I think we need a stud RG for sure. You can always use edges and corners but I think our defensive issues are schematic.
real bucs fan

Postby Cheb » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:28 pm

It's still very much in flux. Too many different ways the season could spin at this juncture.

My current instinct is a complete implosion. But we'll see.
Cheb

Postby Super K » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:33 pm

Cheb wrote:

I agree...

What happened the last time the Bears fuckin destroyed us?...History repeating itself..

Just substitute DK for Morris, JW for JF5, Vea for Hayneworth etc....

Both seassons started of really well, got folks hope up...both came crashing down...
Super K

Postby Nano » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:14 pm

Super K wrote:
Cheb wrote:

I agree...

What happened the last time the Bears fuckin destroyed us?...History repeating itself..

Just substitute DK for Morris, JW for JF5, Vea for Hayneworth etc....

Both seassons started of really well, got folks hope up...both came crashing down...

And after both seasons, we ended up with Schiano

jk :flying:
Nano

Previous

Return to College Football/Draft Talk