Who are we taking with our first pick?

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Who's our first pick?

Bradley Chubb
No votes
Quenton Nelson
38%
Saquan Barkley
10%
Denzel Ward
12%
Minkah Fitzpatrick
10%
Derwin James
24%
Vita Vea
5%
Harold Landry
No votes
Marcus Davenport
No votes
Derrius Guice
No votes
Tremaine Edmunds
2%
Roquan Smith
No votes
Mike McGlinchey
No votes
Conor Williams
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes : 42

Re: Who are we taking with our first pick?

Postby Doctor » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:06 pm

MJW wrote:
Doctor wrote:Third.

Honestly, in my mock I had the Bucs passing on Nelson for Chubbs. I like Chubbs (not nearly as much) as the next guy, but that would really upset me.

If we had the first pick in the draft (and didn't trade it, obviously), I'd take Chubb every day of the week. If he's there at #7 and we don't take him. I'm going to go Bobby Knight on my living room.

I get that DE was a huge need for us last year, and we spent much of the start of the offseason (and some of the end of last season) falling in love with the best DE this draft has to offer- which is Chubbs, and that DE is no longer the hole it was but the love remains, but this is ridiculous.
Doctor

Postby MJW » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:08 pm

Doctor wrote:
MJW wrote:
If we had the first pick in the draft (and didn't trade it, obviously), I'd take Chubb every day of the week. If he's there at #7 and we don't take him. I'm going to go Bobby Knight on my living room.

I get that DE was a huge need for us last year, and we spent much of the start of the offseason (and some of the end of last season) falling in love with the best DE this draft has to offer- which is Chubbs, and that DE is no longer the hole it was but the love remains, but this is ridiculous.

A second ago, you said drafting wasn't about filling out our depth chart. Now you're using the depth chart to justify not taking a superior talent. Is your medical specialization Bootzing?
MJW

Postby real bucs fan » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:09 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:
mdb1958 wrote:

Out of those three I also would take Ward.

I've cooled on Ward - tape tells me he's VH3 2.0

Fitz is there but, I'd rather take a true playmaker/safety in James, than a safety-who-we-think-we-can-convert-to-CB in Fitz

The big difference between VHIII and Ward is that Ward is a next level athlete. Hargreaves just has trouble hanging with NFL WRs physically. Ward won't have that issue.
real bucs fan

Postby PanteraCanes » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:11 pm

real bucs fan wrote:James has big time upside and is plug and play at SS so I could even get behind him.

I see you are a WR of possible a TE?
PanteraCanes

Postby Doctor » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:15 pm

MJW wrote:
Doctor wrote:VH3 will need to make his bones like everyone else on the roster. I'm not going to pass on drafting an elite players because it may derail ****ing VH3 spot on this team. Yeah, he doesn't carry that much weight when it comes to making these choices.

Also, I haven't given up on VH3 on the outside yet either. All our CBs struggled last year. VH3 is more quick than fast, and gives up too much cushion to not get burned deep after our DL give the QB 6 seconds to throw. A lot of VH3 problems will be minimized with a better DL. He's not a cover corner, he's a quick twitch playmaker who makes you pay for off balanced or rushed passes- of which we've forced very few.

Fitz on the outside is fine as well. Or as a SS, where both he and Evans have played, and Mike Smith has said repeated that in his scheme the two are interchangeable. This argument for James over Fitz because it makes filling out the depth chart simpler is moronic.

If Fitz's best role was as a boundary corner, he'd be getting talked up as a boundary corner. Boundary corners are right behind quarterbacks, left tackles, and pass rushers when it comes to their value in the NFL. It's like saying, "Yeah, he could be an elite starter, but long reliever is just as important all the same." If he projected as a great boundary corner, this wouldn't be a discussion. VHIII looked solid at the nickel spot last year after looking like trash elsewhere. I don't think the coaches are going to be eager to move him back outside after the way he played there last year. Nor will Jason Licht be eager to make another declaration of failure by replacing him inside. And Evans and Fitzpatrick would play almost identical roles at safety. Because the two roles are interchangeable doesn't mean you want two guys with similar skill sets. Why do you think we signed TJ Ward last year? We wanted a thumper. That's much more James. Let me know if you're still confused, Dr. Mario.

So you are basing all this on JL not wanting to admit another mistake? LMAO. Are you serious? If there's one good thing about JL is that he doesn't try to save face, he admits when something was a bad move and moves on. He doesn't try to cover them up. But for some reason, he'll 180 on all that and try to protect VH3 from a failure label... yeah... okay.

We signed Ward because we was a vet probowler at a position where we had a bunch of JAGS competing.

WTF is with this thumper BS? Both Evans and Fitz can lay people out. Both are big hitters. What is this, thumper boner you have going on?

Doctor

Postby Doctor » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:20 pm

MJW wrote:
Doctor wrote:I get that DE was a huge need for us last year, and we spent much of the start of the offseason (and some of the end of last season) falling in love with the best DE this draft has to offer- which is Chubbs, and that DE is no longer the hole it was but the love remains, but this is ridiculous.

A second ago, you said drafting wasn't about filling out our depth chart. Now you're using the depth chart to justify not taking a superior talent. Is your medical specialization Bootzing?

Not what I'm saying at all. For one, Chubbs isn't a superior talent. Second, my point is that you "need" people went head over heels for the best players that fills out biggest needs- Chubbs, and haven't let go of that. If we had ended the season with the DL we have no, Chubbs wouldn't have nearly as many fangirls on this board as he does. Ironically, they prob would've flocked to the next need and this board would be all Barkley and RBF heaven.

So in case that was clear I'll make it easier for you. Drafting for need people were stupid 4 months ago. They are still stupid now. In fact, maybe more stupid since they are still in love with their need pick from 4 months ago despite it no longer even being the need it was 4 months ago.
Doctor

Postby beardmcdoug » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:29 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
beardmcdoug wrote:
I've cooled on Ward - tape tells me he's VH3 2.0

Fitz is there but, I'd rather take a true playmaker/safety in James, than a safety-who-we-think-we-can-convert-to-CB in Fitz

The big difference between VHIII and Ward is that Ward is a next level athlete. Hargreaves just has trouble hanging with NFL WRs physically. Ward won't have that issue.

Hargreaves' deficiency isn't his athleticism - sure he's been burned once or twice - but that happens to every CB sometimes, and no amount of athleticism can cover up a bad mental error.

what scares me about Ward and what reminds me of VH3, is he's another slight-bodied twitch CB who has a tendency to play in his own head. he struggles to get his head around quick - he strikes me as another guy who is playing *just* a *half* second behind. And that half-second can get turned into a full second in the NFL - particularly when he'll now be going against guys that are as fast as him and 30-40 lbs heavier, leaving him susceptible to be bossed off his position. It would be one thing if Ward's presence could be buttressed by playing opposite a big-bodied lock down CB - and we could give him time to get up to speed, mentally - which is basically what we're suffering through with VH3 right now; or if we had an elite pass rush to disrupt timing like he had at OSU.... but we have neither, and I just don't think he'd be a good fit - on this defense - right now - with the pieces we've currently got. I think James fits best TBH, and I think Fitz is a close close second
beardmcdoug

Postby Naismith » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:32 pm

If the pass rushing help pans out, VH3 will suddenly look like a first round CB again. If they don't, he won't.
Naismith

Postby beardmcdoug » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:39 pm

Naismith wrote:If the pass rushing help pans out, VH3 will suddenly look like a first round CB again. If they don't, he won't.

agreed. same exact thing goes for our O-line. If it looks good, Winston will suddenly look like a #1 overall again, and whoever we plug in at RB will look like they're worth the investment.

which is exactly why we should be going either Nelson or Chubb, first and foremost - those two validate/elevate the crucial investments we've already made
beardmcdoug

Postby Super K » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:42 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:
Naismith wrote:If the pass rushing help pans out, VH3 will suddenly look like a first round CB again. If they don't, he won't.

agreed. same exact thing goes for our O-line. If it looks good, Winston will suddenly look like a #1 overall again, and whoever we plug in at RB will look like they're worth the investment.

which is exactly why we should be going either Nelson or Chubb, first and foremost - those two validate/elevate the crucial investments we've already made

You should've wrote this entire post in bold (including Naismith's remarks)....

Because ya hit the nail on the head...
Super K

Postby Nano » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:52 pm

Tampa Bay Buccaneers (7) It seems like they have narrowed in on Derwin James. James going to Tampa Bay seems like the worst-kept secret in the NFL right now.

Todd McShay said this earlier today in his draft buzz article. Couple other guys with sources have said the same thing. Majority of mocks are now giving us James.

3 days out, he definitely has to be the favorite for our pick right now.
Nano

Postby mdb1958 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:00 pm

Any lineman that fits the bill
mdb1958

Postby Deja Entendu » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:25 pm

Who is Chubbs?
Deja Entendu

Postby Phantom Phenom » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:27 pm

Deja Entendu wrote:Who is Chubbs?

Phantom Phenom

Postby theBKwhopper » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:40 pm

Nano wrote:
Tampa Bay Buccaneers (7) It seems like they have narrowed in on Derwin James. James going to Tampa Bay seems like the worst-kept secret in the NFL right now.

Todd McShay said this earlier today in his draft buzz article. Couple other guys with sources have said the same thing. Majority of mocks are now giving us James.

3 days out, he definitely has to be the favorite for our pick right now.

He's been the favorite for about a month.
theBKwhopper

Postby Caradoc » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:45 pm

I voted James. Not because I want him, but because that would be such a Buc move. I really don't get the love for him TBH. Yeah, he looked fantastic. Then he got hurt and hasn't looked the same. That scares me. I'd be expecting/terrified that this would be another Mark Barron pick when Kuechley was the obvious choice. This time, we'd pass on Nelson for James and watch Nelson become a perennial all-pro and James doesn't get a second contract. (Coincidentally both with the 7th pick)

My preference:

Nelson
Chubb (not gonna be there)
Fitz
Vea
Payne
Ward
Caradoc

Postby sonofg » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:11 pm

Caradoc wrote:I voted James. Not because I want him, but because that would be such a Buc move. I really don't get the love for him TBH. Yeah, he looked fantastic. Then he got hurt and hasn't looked the same. That scares me. I'd be expecting/terrified that this would be another Mark Barron pick when Kuechley was the obvious choice. This time, we'd pass on Nelson for James and watch Nelson become a perennial all-pro and James doesn't get a second contract. (Coincidentally both with the 7th pick)

My preference:

Nelson
Fitz
Vea
Payne
Ward

I'm really liking Payne as well, probably over Vea.
sonofg

Postby Deja Entendu » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:47 pm

Phantom Phenom wrote:
Deja Entendu wrote:Who is Chubbs?

We already got him for a third... oh wait, the kid from UCF? I like him a lot, but agree taking him #1 overall is ridiculous. He's like third or fourth rounder.
Deja Entendu

Postby Doctor » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:46 pm

sonofg wrote:
Caradoc wrote:I voted James. Not because I want him, but because that would be such a Buc move. I really don't get the love for him TBH. Yeah, he looked fantastic. Then he got hurt and hasn't looked the same. That scares me. I'd be expecting/terrified that this would be another Mark Barron pick when Kuechley was the obvious choice. This time, we'd pass on Nelson for James and watch Nelson become a perennial all-pro and James doesn't get a second contract. (Coincidentally both with the 7th pick)

My preference:

Nelson
Fitz
Vea
Payne
Ward

I like Payne over Vea too. Vea has a small moment of glory of this board where everyone was riding his D. That seems to have cooled though.

I think James has to be a complete smokescreen. I'm sure he's on the big board, but no where near the top. I see Jermaine Phillips.
Doctor

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:51 pm

Doctor wrote:
sonofg wrote:

I like Payne over Vea too. Vea has a small moment of glory of this board where everyone was riding his D. That seems to have cooled though.

I think James has to be a complete smokescreen. I'm sure he's on the big board, but no where near the top. I see Jermaine Phillips.

If you look at Derwin James and see Jermaine Phillips you're confirming that you have no clue as to what you're seeing on a football field.
Bootz2004

Postby Doctor » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:13 pm

A guy who will do a few big hits but ultimately fizzle out of the league after a meh career... no, seems about right.
I'm convinced James is only a big hitter because he just doesn't know how to execute a textbook tackle.
Doctor

Postby Konatown » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:14 pm

What Caradoc said. James just seems like the pick just like VH3 seemed like the pick 2 years ago. Just hope we don’t pass on the big 3 for him
Konatown

Postby Doctor » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:16 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Doctor wrote:I like Payne over Vea too. Vea has a small moment of glory of this board where everyone was riding his D. That seems to have cooled though.

If you look at Derwin James and see Jermaine Phillips you're confirming that you have no clue as to what you're seeing on a football field.

Obviously I knew what I was seeing enough to beat your ass for this Championship belt.... :buttred:
Doctor

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:22 pm

Doctor wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

Obviously I knew what I was seeing enough to beat your ass for this Championship belt.... :buttred:

Yes. You beat me in a fantasy football league. Congrats, kyddo. You know how fantasy works but not real life football.
Bootz2004

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:36 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:Minkah. Final answer.

This. For now. :P
DreadNaught

Postby Super K » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:55 pm

Doctor wrote:A guy who will do a few big hits but ultimately fizzle out of the league after a meh career... no, seems about right.
I'm convinced James is only a big hitter because he just doesn't know how to execute a textbook tackle.

Well that's just pure BS...and I say this being a Noles homer who is not found of James...
Super K

Postby Jason Bourne » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:04 pm

Nelson will be the choice .
I think one of the big 3 will be there and there be at least 1 surprise in the 1st 6 picks .

If Chubb and Nelson are there not sure what we would do but I would be fine with either.
Jason Bourne

Postby Deja Entendu » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:18 pm

Doctor wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

None of my business, but you're not wearing that belt the right way.
Deja Entendu

Postby Cheb » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:54 pm

I'd say Nelson, but who knows.
Cheb

Postby Doctor » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:47 am

Super K wrote:
Doctor wrote:A guy who will do a few big hits but ultimately fizzle out of the league after a meh career... no, seems about right.

Well that's just pure BS...and I say this being a Noles homer who is not found of James...

He tackles sloppy and high. Every other tackle of his is a lion pouncing, grabbing shoulder pads, and swinging the player around.
Doctor

PreviousNext

Return to College Football/Draft Talk