Who are we taking with our first pick?

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Who's our first pick?

Bradley Chubb
No votes
Quenton Nelson
38%
Saquan Barkley
10%
Denzel Ward
12%
Minkah Fitzpatrick
10%
Derwin James
24%
Vita Vea
5%
Harold Landry
No votes
Marcus Davenport
No votes
Derrius Guice
No votes
Tremaine Edmunds
2%
Roquan Smith
No votes
Mike McGlinchey
No votes
Conor Williams
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes : 42

Re: Who are we taking with our first pick?

Postby Miller4Prez64 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:26 pm

All this Derwin talk could be a smokescreen like all the Manziel to Tampa hype from 2014, but I seriously think James is a better fit for our defense than Minkah. If one of Chubb, Barkley or Nelson is there then this could change but with how things look, I think it's likely Derwin James is a Buc Thursday night.
Miller4Prez64

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:30 pm

Miller4Prez64 wrote:All this Derwin talk could be a smokescreen like all the Manziel to Tampa hype from 2014, but I seriously think James is a better fit for our defense than Minkah. If one of Chubb, Barkley or Nelson is there then this could change but with how things look, I think it's likely Derwin James is a Buc Thursday night.

I'll say it one more time. I think Minkah is much MUCH better overall than James and therefore is a better fit for our defense. He's on another planet in coverage, he's better at reading/recognizing plays, he has better form on his tackling, he's more versatile, he's better in every facet outside of size/speed combo, and his final year in college he tried 100% of the time (James did not). I understand you can't teach size/speed/athleticism, but the play on the field is more important and Minkah is still really gifted.
uscbucsfan

Postby Miller4Prez64 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:37 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
Miller4Prez64 wrote:All this Derwin talk could be a smokescreen like all the Manziel to Tampa hype from 2014, but I seriously think James is a better fit for our defense than Minkah. If one of Chubb, Barkley or Nelson is there then this could change but with how things look, I think it's likely Derwin James is a Buc Thursday night.

I'll say it one more time. I think Minkah is much MUCH better overall than James and therefore is a better fit for our defense. He's on another planet in coverage, he's better at reading/recognizing plays, he has better form on his tackling, he's more versatile, he's better in every facet outside of size/speed combo, and his final year in college he tried 100% of the time (James did not). I understand you can't teach size/speed/athleticism, but the play on the field is more important and Minkah is still really gifted.

Minkah looked more polished in college, but how much of that is coaching too? Minkah played at Alabama, which is always known for having lots of high profile defensive players with NFL potential but most of them end up decent at best in the pros. I think Derwin has more upside, and he also fits in better with Justin Evans. I personally would prefer NOT to draft a safety with the pick, I'd prefer corner help but Denzel Ward is on the shorter size and I think we need to get bigger outside to match up with NFL wideouts instead of this parade of 5'10 dudes. If I were GM, I'd hope for one of Chubb, Barkley or Nelson and then be active on the phone if they are all gone at 7, but I can see why Licht would like Derwin and why he would make more sense than Minkah. I wouldn't be upset at all with him.
Miller4Prez64

Postby Doctor » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:38 pm

It does have the feel too it. Like intentionally leaked misinformation that's everywhere to throw teams off that could be interested trading in front of the Bucs. I remember it was good enough to fool the Walter mock draft that had us taking Johnny and even listed Evans as our "realistic #1 choice" in the alternatives.
Doctor

Postby APiratesLifeForMe » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:52 pm

I'd really like Chubb, Barkley or Nelson but I have a feeling that the top of this draft isn't going to go the way most think it will.

Having said that, I still believe that Chubb and Nelson are both gone by pick #7, but think there's a chance that Barkley slides to us or that we even move up a pick or two if/when he slides out of the top 4.

There's no way Barkley should be there by pick #7, but here's why I think he slides.

1. Cleveland Browns - Josh Allen or Baker Mayfield
Summary: The logical pick is Darnold, but this is the Browns we are talking about so logic goes out the window. Something's telling me it's not Darnold but instead Allen or Mayfield.

2. New York Giants - Sam Darnold
Summary: The only reason the Giants pass on Barkley is because Darnold is sitting there.

3. New York Jets - Mayfield
Summary: Jets go QB, obviously that's what they traded up for. They could also go Allen or Rosen.

4. Cleveland Browns - Bradley Chubb or Quenton Nelson
Summary: A lot of people think Barkley goes here, but I just don't see it. Browns signed Hyde knowing they had the fourth pick and Barkley might be there, so if they wanted Barkley, why sign Hyde? Chubb is the obvious choice here, but Browns could grab an OL to help protect the QB they just drafted at 1 and help pave the way for Hyde. Joe Thomas retired and while Thomas is a T and Nelson a G, they signed Hubbard to play T and Nelson is thought of by most scouts to be one of the top 2 or 3 players in this draft.

5. Denver Broncos - Allen or Rosen
Summary: If the Broncos decide not to take a QB here, then I believe they'll trade down with another team like the Bills that are looking to move up to grab one of the two QBs.

6. Indianapolis Colts - Chubb or Nelson, maybe even Ward
Summary: I believe the Colts go with Chubb or Nelson, whichever one is still left on the board. I believe they traded down knowing that they'd still end up with one of the two. Ward is also a possibility.

7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Saquon Barkley
Summary: If Barkley is here, I'd be shocked if we pass on him.

TL;DR
I want Chubb, Barkley or Nelson, but I'll also be happy with Fitz or James.

I'm still on the fence about Ward.
APiratesLifeForMe

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:11 pm

Mcshay said that he's heard that we would take James even if Chubb, Barkley, and Nelson were available. It makes me think it's absolutely a smokescreen, but it still worries me.
uscbucsfan

Postby Naismith » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:30 pm

Wow, hadn't heard that. Do you have a link anywhere?
Naismith

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:31 pm

Naismith wrote:Wow, hadn't heard that. Do you have a link anywhere?

Nope on ESPN radio. Again, hoping there's no way that is true.
uscbucsfan

Postby Naismith » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:32 pm

I find that so hard to believe. Not that he said it or heard, but that it's true.
Naismith

Postby Cheb » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:22 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:Mcshay said that he's heard that we would take James even if Chubb, Barkley, and Nelson were available.

Cheb

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:50 pm

Cheb wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:Mcshay said that he's heard that we would take James even if Chubb, Barkley, and Nelson were available.

I'd cut that vato.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Brazen331 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:59 pm

I’m thinking it’s James unless Barkley falls. The fact that I can’t find a visit with a Barkley makes me think the Bucs are hoping he falls and are feigning interest—no one is going to trade up in front of Tampa if they think they are taking James.

My feeling right now is that Nelson will be on the board and we will select James instead because Barkley will be gone.
Brazen331

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:02 pm

Brazen331 wrote:I’m thinking it’s James unless Barkley falls. The fact that I can’t find a visit with a Barkley makes me think the Bucs are hoping he falls and are feigning interest—no one is going to trade up in front of Tampa if they think they are taking James.

My feeling right now is that Nelson will be on the board and we will select James instead because Barkley will be gone.

Barkley visited for a private meeting, but he will be gone.

I'm really hoping this James is a lock thing or the worst kept secret in the draft is actual diversion for someone like Nelson or Chubb.
uscbucsfan

Postby real bucs fan » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:54 pm

I can certainly see the upside in James, and he's the definition of plug and play.
real bucs fan

Postby theBKwhopper » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:56 pm

real bucs fan wrote:I can certainly see the upside in James, and he's the definition of plug and play.

Exactly what Licht is looking for
theBKwhopper

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:58 pm

real bucs fan wrote:I can certainly see the upside in James, and he's the definition of plug and play.

I don't see how James is more plug and play than any of the top prospects.
uscbucsfan

Postby real bucs fan » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:16 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:

I don't see how James is more plug and play than any of the top prospects.

James has legitimate superstar upside, I think his upside is as high as anyone in this draft, and his floor is damn high too. I just don't think safeties have a ton of value- and I'm saying that as someone who's position was safety- and that's especially true considering the guys available still that are FAs. But I do think safeties have more value than guards... and I think our need at safety is greater than our need at guard, so I could certainly see the rationale behind taking James over Nelson. Can't say I see it over Chubb and Barkley though, but what were McShay's exact words? I read that he said that the Bucs targeting James was the worst kept secret in football- but that target could be under the assumption that other guys are off the board...
real bucs fan

Postby MJW » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:16 pm

theBKwhopper wrote:

Exactly what Licht is looking for

Problematic if true.

The point isn't finding the guy who will help most week one.

The point is finding the guy who'll help most over the years to come.
MJW

Postby real bucs fan » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:18 pm

MJW wrote:
theBKwhopper wrote:Exactly what Licht is looking for

Problematic if true.

James could be both, the guy is a hell of a prospect.

My issue with it would mostly be from a resource allocation standpoint, but from a pure talent standpoint, James is well worth the 7th pick.
real bucs fan

Postby theBKwhopper » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:51 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
MJW wrote:
Problematic if true.

My issue with it would mostly be from a resource allocation standpoint, but from a pure talent standpoint, James is well worth the 7th pick.

Very true. But, Licht doesn't know if he has "years to come."
theBKwhopper

Postby MJW » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:17 pm

theBKwhopper wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:

Very true. But, Licht doesn't know if he has "years to come."

Which is exactly why he should have been fired. Because he knows he's on the hot seat and he's no longer in a position to do what's best for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers going forward. He's going to do what's best for 2018, just like anyone would in his position.
MJW

Postby theBKwhopper » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:34 pm

MJW wrote:
theBKwhopper wrote:Very true. But, Licht doesn't know if he has "years to come."

Which is exactly why he should have been fired. Because he knows he's on the hot seat and he's no longer in a position to do what's best for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers going forward. He's going to do what's best for 2018, just like anyone would in his position.

Hopefully we get a player who can be both immediately impactful and long-term. I think James could be that player. I also think Ward could be.
theBKwhopper

Postby SixStringSamurai » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:42 pm

Lol...alright, Mike Mayocks.
SixStringSamurai

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:00 am

I would give up Nelson and trade (7) to Buffalo for their
12, 52, 56 picks and a 2nd rounder in 2019. I would possibly consider another trade down with 12 if it was appealing enough.

Then I would use the 2nd round to get more picks in 2019 with strategic trade downs while still acquiring acceptable targets.

This would make us a player in decision making next year.
mdb1958

Postby Super K » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:20 am

"IF" James had turned out to be the player he was pumped up to be, snagging him, whether passing on other top guys or not, would be a home run...hell, a grand slam, walk off home run..

Problem is he wasn't that player...not even close to...Fitz had a better career/tape...

Taking James is banking on his measurables and what you hope he can do...

I don't like it/him..not one bit..

Hopefully he proves me wrong, wherever he goes (let's just pray he's out of the division, just in case)....
Super K

Postby Super K » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:24 am

Mdb, what the **** are you gonna do with all those picks?...I don't understand the infatuation with acquiring an arsenal of draft picks instead of just staying where we are and selecting the best player on our board...

Only 1 team has made any noise playing the whole "trade back and get more picks game" and that's BB and New England...yet it seems like a lifetime ago since it even paid off for them...
Super K

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:42 am

Super K wrote:Mdb, what the **** are you gonna do with all those picks?...I don't understand the infatuation with acquiring an arsenal of draft picks instead of just staying where we are and selecting the best player on our board...

Only 1 team has made any noise playing the whole "trade back and get more picks game" and that's BB and New England...yet it seems like a lifetime ago since it even paid off for them...

Improve the roster! Use them, roll them over to next year. I have already said I'm not against red shirting a guy with the mysterious hammy while he gets bigger, stronger, so the next year he can kill off a non cost effective contract.

I'm not no expert on these o-linemen, bit didnt we all feel like it could be improved. Bigly!

Improving the trenches was what everybody thought we needed, and quite frankly I'm ashamed at how everybody ran away from it once the pre-draft process started. What if giving up that one guard got you 2 starting offensive tackles?
mdb1958

Postby Brazen331 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:10 am

mdb1958 wrote:
Super K wrote:Mdb, what the **** are you gonna do with all those picks?...I don't understand the infatuation with acquiring an arsenal of draft picks instead of just staying where we are and selecting the best player on our board...

Improve the roster! Use them, roll them over to next year. I have already said I'm not against red shirting a guy with the mysterious hammy while he gets bigger, stronger, so the next year he can kill off a non cost effective contract.

I'm not no expert on these o-linemen, bit didnt we all feel like it could be improved. Bigly!

Improving the trenches was what everybody thought we needed, and quite frankly I'm ashamed at how everybody ran away from it once the pre-draft process started. What if giving up that one guard got you 2 starting offensive tackles?

Since we already have 2 starting OTs, I would prefer not to give up this one G. I don’t think you factor in the current roster much when you do all these trade-down, pick-acquisition moves, mdb.
Brazen331

Postby Super K » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:42 am

IMO, he also doesn't factor in quality of player/prospect...

I'd rather have 1 A grade offensive linemen instead of 2 Cs or B's...

And there are only so many damn roster spots open and available...what current OL do we wanna cut?..

If you draft, and wanna keep, 10+ rookies each and every year, inevitably you end up plug and playing rookies or 2nd year guys because you have to, not because you want to...

Finally, drafting Nelson, to go along with out offseason moves, IS addressing our trenches...

My dream draft right now (no trades):

R1 Nelson

R2 Settle (could also be talked into UM Hurst or USC Green)

R4 Ballage
Super K

Re: Who are we taking with our first pick

Postby Brazen331 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:29 am

It’s difficulr to find a recent mock draft that does not have us drafting James.
Brazen331

PreviousNext

Return to College Football/Draft Talk