AO's Final 2018 3 Round Buccaneers Mock Draft

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
AO's Final 2018 3 Round Buccaneers Mock Draft

Postby Agent Orange » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:46 pm

I look forward to doing these every year. I don't normally mock trades but this year I see no other option. This is what I think they should do...

1. Cleveland Browns- Josh Allen QB - It will definitely be a QB here. They don't need a day one starter because they have two relatively good QBs on the roster. It will be a fun QB battle with their weapons.

2. **TRADE** Buffalo Bills- Sam Darnold QB - I don't think the NY Giants are going QB here and they were a bad team last year. If they are not going QB here it makes no sense for them to stay at #2. I don't care how talented a RB Barkley is I just don't see them making that pick here. They will get many offers and you know that the Jets are going QB #3 so this is where the trade has to happen. They have the ammo to move up. The only pick that I could see the Giants making if they were to stay put would be Chubb. You can pick a DE 2nd and feel good about it. Once this trade goes down the Bills now have their franchise QB. He will be able to line up with one of the best all around RBs in the league and with a solid playoff caliber team around him.

3. NY Jets- Baker Mayfield QB - The jets are obviously going QB here. You don't trade up for no reason. You have three top QBs still on the board that could be in play here. I have seen most saying that Rosen is dropping and Jackson is not in play this early. Although he is on the shorter side Mayfield is super accurate and he can move and make plays with his feet. His attitude and cockyness will be perfect for NY City.

4. Cleveland Browns- Saquon Barkley RB - They will run to the podium. I don't know how much I agree with this pick because they have talent at RB but being he is the top rated player in this draft I can't blame them. They will have to take some OL in the 2nd round to help keep him upright.

5. **Trade** Tampa Bay Buccaneers- Bradley Chubb DE - No way Chubb falls past Indy. We have to trade up to get him and knowing that their jobs are on the line I believe Licht pulls the trigger. Now you have a fierce pass rush for at least the next 3 years. Our secondary needs work but our pass rush will help that. Like I said Licht and Koetter's jobs are on the line. They have no time to waste. Get the guy you want.

Round 2. Traded for Bradley Chubb
Round 3 Traded for JPP
Agent Orange

Re: AO's Final 2018 3 Round Buccaneers Mock Draft

Postby theBKwhopper » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:15 am

If they think he's an elite end, absolutely do this.
theBKwhopper

Postby Rocker » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:20 am

**** no.
Rocker

Postby Agent Orange » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:55 am

Rocker wrote:**** no.

Your other option is Denver goes Nelson and Indy goes Chubb. We are in full on win now mode. We have seen the kind of minimal effect CBs and Safety's have made for us in the past.we have by far the worst history with 2nd round picks. They are worthless to us. Might as well use it to get the player who will make the biggest impact now.
Agent Orange

Postby terrytate » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:11 am

Agent Orange wrote:

Your other option is Denver goes Nelson and Indy goes Chubb. We are in full on win now mode. We have seen the kind of minimal effect CBs and Safety's have made for us in the past.we have by far the worst history with 2nd round picks. They are worthless to us. Might as well use it to get the player who will make the biggest impact now.

One of them likely sells their pick for a QB. If not, then we can sell our pick.

You're here talking about how bad of an idea it is to draft a safety after crying for Eric Berry over McCoy for years?
terrytate

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:46 am

Agent Orange wrote:

Rookie pass rushers rarely make an impact, last one w/ 10+ sacks was Aldon Smith.

Even if Chubb lives up to the hype, how many snaps would he get as a rookie w/ JPP, Curry, and Spence here. Chubb would be a situational player year 1 barring injury. I'm not against drafting Chubb (#1 guy actually), but the 'full on win now' argument doesn't make sense when your talking about drafting a guy that will play 20-30% of the defensive snaps.

2nd round picks are not worthless. That just sounds like your trying too hard to justify the trade in this mock.

McCoy is better than Suh. Deal with it! 8-) 8-)
DreadNaught

Postby mdb1958 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:12 am

I think we could still get him at seven.

Cleveland will take their QB and Ward or trade the 4th
Giants Barkley
Denver QB
Colts trade down or R Smith - I think they would like to clean up on linebackers if they can.

We pick between Chubb and Nelson and we cant even trade Nelson (nothing) - because everyone knows we wont loose Chubb doing it.
mdb1958

Postby Agent Orange » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:30 am

mdb1958 wrote:I think we could still get him at seven.

Giants Barkley
Denver QB
Colts trade down or R Smith - I think they would like to clean up on linebackers if they can.

I just don't see it. The best pass rusher in a draft not filled with them will not fall to us. Once the top three QBs are off the board teams will go BPA. Rosen has red flags and Jackson is a hybrid. I would be very surprised if either go top 10.
Agent Orange

Postby uscbucsfan » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:37 am

Agent Orange wrote:

Giants Barkley
Denver QB

I just don't see it. The best pass rusher in a draft not filled with them will not fall to us. Once the top three QBs are off the board teams will go BPA. Rosen has red flags and Jackson is a hybrid. I would be very surprised if either go top 10.

Is this what you want us to do or what you think we will do?

Some think Rosen is the best overall QB. I think there's a better chance of Rosen going top 10 than us trading up for Chubb with our 2nd round pick.
uscbucsfan

Postby Super K » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:39 am

uscbucsfan wrote:
Agent Orange wrote:

Some think Rosen is the best overall QB. I think there's a better chance of Rosen going top 10 than us trading up for Chubb with our 2nd round pick.

Agreed..

And Rosen is gonna go top 5, not top 10...
Super K

Postby mdb1958 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:43 am

Agent Orange wrote:

Giants Barkley
Denver QB

The Colts will need a gap shooter!
mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:45 am

8-)
mdb1958

Postby Agent Orange » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:06 am

uscbucsfan wrote:
Agent Orange wrote:

Clearly states it in the post. If I was Licht and Koetter I would definitely be in win now at all costs mode. They know if we have a repeat of last year they are gone.

We shall see on Rosen but I am reading a lot of negatives on him right now questioning his passion for the game and even going so far as saying his teammates don't like him.
Agent Orange

Postby Cheb » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:15 am

I like Chubb as much as anyone, but I wouldn't like this scenario.

Trading up for anyone reeks of desperation. That second rounder will either be a starter or a valuable backup.

In that secanrio I'd stand pat and take Chubb, Nelson, or Barkley at seventh overall, whoever fell to me. That's an easy solution, we would still get a great player and keep that second round selection.
Cheb

Postby uscbucsfan » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:25 am

Agent Orange wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:

Clearly states it in the post. If I was Licht and Koetter I would definitely be in win now at all costs mode. They know if we have a repeat of last year they are gone.

We shall see on Rosen but I am reading a lot of negatives on him right now questioning his passion for the game and even going so far as saying his teammates don't like him.

I have heard that as well, but Aaron Rodgers had the same criticism when he came out regarding his attitude and demeanor. That and Tedford's system made him fall. I think a team could use that and look past that if they believe he's the best QB in the draft.

I've also read a lot about Mayfield being immature and GMs think he'll have a hard time adjusting to the NFL locker room, but he's still in the discussion. Just watching tape, Rosen is the best QB in the draft IMO.

Echoing you, we shall see.

An aside, I heard Marcus Spears on Golic and Wingo say that Mayfields antics won't work in the NFL and teammates would have issues with the way he acts. He didn't cite Manziel as a comparison, but he used Jameis Winston's finger licking as the example and just how poorly that was perceived both in the locker room and around the league. It was one of the more cringe worthy moments in our history.
uscbucsfan

Postby MJW » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:29 am

DreadNaught wrote:
Agent Orange wrote:

Rookie pass rushers rarely make an impact, last one w/ 10+ sacks was Aldon Smith.

Even if Chubb lives up to the hype, how many snaps would he get as a rookie w/ JPP, Curry, and Spence here. Chubb would be a situational player year 1 barring injury. I'm not against drafting Chubb (#1 guy actually), but the 'full on win now' argument doesn't make sense when your talking about drafting a guy that will play 20-30% of the defensive snaps.

2nd round picks are not worthless. That just sounds like your trying too hard to justify the trade in this mock.

If Licht is making decisions based on "win now mode," then we're already screwed. This is the problem with having a GM on the hot seat.
MJW

Postby Agent Orange » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:12 pm

Cheb wrote:I like Chubb as much as anyone, but I wouldn't like this scenario.

Trading up for anyone reeks of desperation. That second rounder will either be a starter or a valuable backup.

In that secanrio I'd stand pat and take Chubb, Nelson, or Barkley at seventh overall, whoever fell to me. That's an easy solution, we would still get a great player and keep that second round selection.

Barkley is already gone and I think if we stand pat the Broncos take Nelson and Indy tkes Chubb. After much thought the only solution to get one of the big 3 is to trade up. If by chance they get lucky so be it but the more likely scenerip is all 3 are gone and we are picking a CB/S. I don't mind that scenerio. I just like getting Chubb much better.
Agent Orange

Postby Doctor » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:13 pm

Ew. Hard pass.
Doctor

Postby Heidguy » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:31 pm

Pass
Heidguy

Postby Cheb » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:57 pm

Agent Orange wrote:
Cheb wrote:I like Chubb as much as anyone, but I wouldn't like this scenario.

Barkley is already gone and I think if we stand pat the Broncos take Nelson and Indy tkes Chubb. After much thought the only solution to get one of the big 3 is to trade up. If by chance they get lucky so be it but the more likely scenerip is all 3 are gone and we are picking a CB/S. I don't mind that scenerio. I just like getting Chubb much better.

Oh yeah, Barkley was taken. Sorry.

In that case, take Ward or Fitz assuming that Chubb and Nelson are gone. Easy pick, still saves the second rounder.
Cheb

Postby Alpha » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:11 am

[quote="Cheb"]

Disregard Ward for a second:

What do you see in Fitz v. D. James that tells you to take Fitz? Is it betting on the better football player vs potential?

Personally...I'm torn. As I've mentioned earlier, TODAY...I think Fitz is the better football player.

In 3 years...I think James could be an All-Pro. He IS a ridiculous athlete.

Why can't we just avoid this whole issue and take Ward? He is the "safe" pick. The concensus best CB in the draft. A position of absolute NEED for this team. Even IF he busts, nobody can blame the FO for taking the guy. That position, with this team is SO weak...I'd seriously consider doubling up in this draft on that position (CB).

This is a passing league...as you know. You just can't have enough quality CB's. Especially considering the division we play in.

Does the staff SERIOUSLY have that much confidence in the players currently on the team at CB?
Alpha

Postby Agent Orange » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:32 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
Agent Orange wrote:

Having an elite group of pass rushers is key to winning on defense. These days you need a rotation. I disagree that he will only play 20-30% of the time. This guy is a beast. He is an every down DE. All of the DL needs a rest though and having a top end group of DL talent across the board will make life miserable for our opponents.
Agent Orange

Postby Agent Orange » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:39 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
Agent Orange wrote:

I have heard that as well, but Aaron Rodgers had the same criticism when he came out regarding his attitude and demeanor. That and Tedford's system made him fall. I think a team could use that and look past that if they believe he's the best QB in the draft.

I've also read a lot about Mayfield being immature and GMs think he'll have a hard time adjusting to the NFL locker room, but he's still in the discussion. Just watching tape, Rosen is the best QB in the draft IMO.

Echoing you, we shall see.

An aside, I heard Marcus Spears on Golic and Wingo say that Mayfields antics won't work in the NFL and teammates would have issues with the way he acts. He didn't cite Manziel as a comparison, but he used Jameis Winston's finger licking as the example and just how poorly that was perceived both in the locker room and around the league. It was one of the more cringe worthy moments in our history.

No doubt about that. He won in college so it was somewhat overlooked but we have talent around him and we are not winning. Can't have that.

I read somewhere from one of the draft "experts" that they were basically ranking the QBs at QB 1-4. Doesn't matter who they are but they will be drafted high so they are basically interchangeable. I still think Chubb, Barkley and Nelson are the position players who will be in play before us and highly doubt any of them reach us without trading up. It's not the best outcome like last year but I think if we come away with Chubb we win. We go from being one of if not the worst DL in the league last year to top 5. We haven't had that since the Super Bowl years. We need to get back there.
Agent Orange

Postby Caradoc » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:50 pm

MJW wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

If Licht is making decisions based on "win now mode," then we're already screwed. This is the problem with having a GM on the hot seat.

Good thing our GM isn't on the hot seat then
Caradoc

Postby Cheb » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:12 pm

Alpha wrote:Disregard Ward for a second:

What do you see in Fitz v. D. James that tells you to take Fitz? Is it betting on the better football player vs potential?

Personally...I'm torn. As I've mentioned earlier, TODAY...I think Fitz is the better football player.

In 3 years...I think James could be an All-Pro. He IS a ridiculous athlete.

Why can't we just avoid this whole issue and take Ward? He is the "safe" pick. The concensus best CB in the draft. A position of absolute NEED for this team. Even IF he busts, nobody can blame the FO for taking the guy. That position, with this team is SO weak...I'd seriously consider doubling up in this draft on that position (CB).

This is a passing league...as you know. You just can't have enough quality CB's. Especially considering the division we play in.

Does the staff SERIOUSLY have that much confidence in the players currently on the team at CB?

I like Fitz over James because Fitz has no injury history, is far better in coverage, produced more splash plays, never loafs, and can be trusted single-high.

James is Mark Barron or a poor man's Kam Chancellor. Fitz is Malcolm Jenkins or Eric Berry.
Cheb

Postby Agent Orange » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:20 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
Agent Orange wrote:

What are your thoughts on getting Vea (McCoy's eventual replacement) to be a rotational player?
Agent Orange

Postby The Outsider » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:18 pm

Agent Orange wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

What are your thoughts on getting Vea (McCoy's eventual replacement) to be a rotational player?

If Vea lives up to his draft hype it would be criminal if he isn't starting next to McCoy.
The Outsider

Postby Agent Orange » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:37 pm

The Outsider wrote:
Agent Orange wrote:

If Vea lives up to his draft hype it would be criminal if he isn't starting next to McCoy.

I imagine he will be playing next to him for the next year or two in a rotation. If he is as good as we hope then he will just slide into McCoy's role. My understanding is he doesn't play every down though. He is too big. He would burn out here. Dreadnaught initially said that Chubb would only play about 20-30% of the snaps here...
Agent Orange

Postby The Outsider » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:56 pm

Agent Orange wrote:
The Outsider wrote:

I imagine he will be playing next to him for the next year or two in a rotation. If he is as good as we hope then he will just slide into McCoy's role. My understanding is he doesn't play every down though. He is too big. He would burn out here. Dreadnaught initially said that Chubb would only play about 20-30% of the snaps here...

From the scouting reports he sounds like a huge guy with stamina, quickness, and strength. A la, Vince Wilfork. I don't think stamina will be an issue.
The Outsider

Return to College Football/Draft Talk