Mock two

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
post

Re: Mock two

Postby Naismith » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:55 am

In the late rounds, you draft guys that you think can make your 53 man roster. If you take guys that get beat out in an honest competition, that's not a terrible result.
User avatar
Naismith
 
Posts: 1229
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:51 pm
Has thanked: 57 times
Been thanked: 72 times

Re: Mock two

Postby mdb1958 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:56 am

real bucs fan wrote:Where did I bash? I'm simply pointing something out to you for future reference- the final 53 certainly factors in when teams draft, despite what Bootz may argue...



Why take the approach of deciding who is going to be on our roster ahead of time for a defensive line that plays like crap. If your basing everything on guaranteed money, thats a double f up. Sieler would press Gholston and I flat out think Hall and Shepherd would have you piss away guaranteed money. Any of them could get the Hamstring or injuries could happen.

All I get out of you guys is Wow were set...
mdb1958
 
Posts: 8421
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:11 pm
Has thanked: 143 times
Been thanked: 78 times

Re: Mock two

Postby mdb1958 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:01 am

DreadNaught wrote:The Bucs have traditionally carried 9-10 Dlinemen on the 53 and 2-3 more on the practice squad. 8 Dlinemen dress as part of the active gameday 46, very very rarely do we see all 9 get a helmet on gameday.

I agree that 7 Dline spots are pretty much tied up where it would take a freakishly good camp/preseason from an unknown Dlinemen to unseat them.

That leaves 2-3 open spots on the 53 man roster for whatever Dlinemen we draft + the likes of Ryan Russell, Will Clarke, StevieT, Channing Ward, etc. Practice squad eligibility will determine who gets those spots. But any player we put on the PS must first clear waivers then would still be able to get signed to another teams active 53 once on the Bucs PS.

All depends on how board falls, but I'd be surprised if the Bucs drafted more than two Dlinemen in this draft, and that is at most.



[quote="DreadNaught"]The Bucs have traditionally sucked since you knew what a football was. Why would a 2nd, 4th, and 6th rounder be unknown to you.
mdb1958
 
Posts: 8421
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:11 pm
Has thanked: 143 times
Been thanked: 78 times

Re: Mock two

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:09 am

I'm sorry. But has this Bucs Dline not been 1 of the worst in the NFL for a long time? Why would we limit ourselves in terms of acquiring young talent via the draft. Looking at the current guys we have y'all are putting way too much hope into them. Outside of McCoy and JPP I don't consider any of them sure fire guarantees to make the final 53. Especially guys like Stevie T, Spence, Clarke etc. There are 69 players on this roster. We have to get to 90 before TC. You guys are idiots if you believe we wouldn't add anymore Dline players to this roster before then.

And if you think a FA acquisition is a guarantee to make the roster ask JJ Wilcox how that works.
User avatar
Bootz2004
 
Posts: 21254
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:17 pm
Has thanked: 100 times
Been thanked: 452 times

Re: Mock two

Postby mdb1958 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:10 am

Everybody is basing giving out 14.5 million guaranteed dollars to 3 players that cant even get to the QB as a gold standard, I think it was plain stupid.
mdb1958
 
Posts: 8421
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:11 pm
Has thanked: 143 times
Been thanked: 78 times

Re: Mock two

Postby Cheb » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:13 am

mdb1958 wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:Where did I bash? I'm simply pointing something out to you for future reference- the final 53 certainly factors in when teams draft, despite what Bootz may argue...



Why take the approach of deciding who is going to be on our roster ahead of time for a defensive line that plays like crap. If your basing everything on guaranteed money, thats a double f up. Sieler would press Gholston and I flat out think Hall and Shepherd would have you piss away guaranteed money. Any of them could get the Hamstring or injuries could happen.

All I get out of you guys is Wow were set...


No one is saying that competition is bad, especially on a unit that has admittedly underperformed for the past several years.

What people are saying is that drafting a player who you don't expect to contribute is a bad draft philosophy. It would be like drafting two quarterbacks this year, an idea that no one on this forum has advocated for, and for good reason. Yes, quarterback is the most important position on the field, and yes, Winston got hurt last year, and yes, Fitzpatrick isn't getting any younger, and yes, cutting Griffin would save almost $1.5 million. But it's still a stupid idea because there are better ways to spend your limited draft capital.
Image
Cheb
 
Posts: 3304
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:00 pm
Location: West Coast is best coast
Has thanked: 51 times
Been thanked: 289 times

Re: Mock two

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:16 am

Cheb wrote:
mdb1958 wrote:

Why take the approach of deciding who is going to be on our roster ahead of time for a defensive line that plays like crap. If your basing everything on guaranteed money, thats a double f up. Sieler would press Gholston and I flat out think Hall and Shepherd would have you piss away guaranteed money. Any of them could get the Hamstring or injuries could happen.

All I get out of you guys is Wow were set...


No one is saying that competition is bad, especially on a unit that has admittedly underperformed for the past several years.

What people are saying is that drafting a player who you don't expect to contribute is a bad draft philosophy. It would be like drafting two quarterbacks this year, an idea that no one on this forum has advocated for, and for good reason. Yes, quarterback is the most important position on the field, and yes, Winston got hurt last year, and yes, Fitzpatrick isn't getting any younger, and yes, cutting Griffin would save almost $1.5 million. But it's still a stupid idea because there are better ways to spend your limited draft capital.


Okay so how exactly does that apply to the Dline? Are Will Clarke and Mitch Unrein keeping young prospects from getting snaps? I agree with mdbs assessment. If you're saying before the draft that the Dline is set and good to go then you underestimate just how bad it has been. Are the signings we made good enough to solve those issues? No.
User avatar
Bootz2004
 
Posts: 21254
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:17 pm
Has thanked: 100 times
Been thanked: 452 times

Re: Mock two

Postby real bucs fan » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:18 am

I will guarantee you that we aren't taking 4 DLs...
Image
real bucs fan
 
Posts: 7386
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:59 pm
Has thanked: 759 times
Been thanked: 101 times

Re: Mock two

Postby Cheb » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:24 am

mdb1958 wrote:Everybody is basing giving out 14.5 million guaranteed dollars to 3 players that cant even get to the QB as a gold standard, I think it was plain stupid.


Now you're just being hyperbolic.

JPP had 8.5 sacks last season. We haven't had a player with that many sacks since Gerald McCoy's 8.5 in 2014. We haven't had a defensive end with that many sacks since Simeon Rice's 14 sacks in 2005, which was 12 years ago. To say he can't get to the quarterback is disengenuous, and to think he can't help a team that desperately needs a pass rush is plain stupid.

Beau Allen was a talented nosetackle for a Superbowl winner, and his value is mostly as a two-down player. Vinny Curry was a two-down player for the Eagles because Brandon Graham, Derek Barnett, and Chris Long were deemed to be better third down rushers, and who can blame them for saying so. On their team, he's the fourth fiddle. On ours, he's second behind the aforementioned JPP.

If those three players were on the Bucs last year, they would have increased our sack total by over 50%, and pulled us out of the cellar as the worst sacking defense in the league to inside the top 20.

Stop complaining.
Image
Cheb
 
Posts: 3304
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:00 pm
Location: West Coast is best coast
Has thanked: 51 times
Been thanked: 289 times

Re: Mock two

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:25 am

Bootz2004 wrote:I'm sorry. But has this Bucs Dline not been 1 of the worst in the NFL for a long time? Why would we limit ourselves in terms of acquiring young talent via the draft. Looking at the current guys we have y'all are putting way too much hope into them. Outside of McCoy and JPP I don't consider any of them sure fire guarantees to make the final 53. Especially guys like Stevie T, Spence, Clarke etc. There are 69 players on this roster. We have to get to 90 before TC. You guys are idiots if you believe we wouldn't add anymore Dline players to this roster before then.

And if you think a FA acquisition is a guarantee to make the roster ask JJ Wilcox how that works.


Wilcox got traded, not cut. So you can't say he would not have made the roster.

I get your point, but you're overstating it. Allen and Curry are locks to make the roster based on the year 1 guaranteed money they received to sign here. The Bucs aren't going to release either guy and eat that signing bonus.

If Spence is healthy he'll make the team. You're kidding yourself to think otherwise.

Gholston's salary is already guaranteed for 2018 so there would have to be clear better option that would force the Bucs to eat that $6m in dead money to release him.

Maybe Unrein could get beat out, but I doubt it. He was brought in to play the run and be a rotational guy. Unrein was one of the better run defending interior Dlinemen in the NFL last season.

I want the Dline to be better than is has just like every fan. But this illusion that will come from a bunch of day 2-3 draft picks instead of the additions we've already made is something I don't agree with is all.

The Bucs have room for a few more Dlinemen on the 53. I don't think that is controversial nor would it preclude us from drafting a couple if the board fell that way. It's just that the current depth means it's unlikely we draft any more than 1-2 Dlineman in the upcoming draft imo.
Image
User avatar
DreadNaught
 
Posts: 10884
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:18 am
Has thanked: 439 times
Been thanked: 464 times

Re: Mock two

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:32 am

DreadNaught wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:I'm sorry. But has this Bucs Dline not been 1 of the worst in the NFL for a long time? Why would we limit ourselves in terms of acquiring young talent via the draft. Looking at the current guys we have y'all are putting way too much hope into them. Outside of McCoy and JPP I don't consider any of them sure fire guarantees to make the final 53. Especially guys like Stevie T, Spence, Clarke etc. There are 69 players on this roster. We have to get to 90 before TC. You guys are idiots if you believe we wouldn't add anymore Dline players to this roster before then.

And if you think a FA acquisition is a guarantee to make the roster ask JJ Wilcox how that works.


Wilcox got traded, not cut. So you can't say he would not have made the roster.

I get your point, but you're overstating it. Allen and Curry are locks to make the roster based on the year 1 guaranteed money they received to sign here. The Bucs aren't going to release either guy and eat that signing bonus.

If Spence is healthy he'll make the team. You're kidding yourself to think otherwise.

Gholston's salary is already guaranteed for 2018 so there would have to be clear better option that would force the Bucs to eat that $6m in dead money to release him.

Maybe Unrein could get beat out, but I doubt it. He was brought in to play the run and be a rotational guy. Unrein was one of the better run defending interior Dlinemen in the NFL last season.

I want the Dline to be better than is has just like every fan. But this illusion that will come from a bunch of day 2-3 draft picks instead of the additions we've already made is something I don't agree with is all.

The Bucs have room for a few more Dlinemen on the 53. I don't think that is controversial nor would it preclude us from drafting a couple if the board fell that way. It's just that the current depth means it's unlikely we draft any more than 1-2 Dlineman in the upcoming draft imo.


I didn't say Wilcox was cut. I said he didn't make the team which he didn't. Traded means he wasn't here. Are you saying that can't happen? It certainly can happen.

What makes Noah Spence such a guarantee to make this roster? He's done nothing. If you're saying he's the best we have then you're proving my point. We very well could draft someone to take over for him.

And as you pointed out, Allen and Curry and Unrein are on 1 year deals. As is Gholston at this point. Makes them easy trades if things don't pan out.

I'm not even saying we will move on from these players but I just want to know if you guys even understand how the off-season works. Do you really believe we won't add more players to the Dline to get to 90? You might as well say we won't add more LBs or QBs or TEs or WRs because we're set there as well...
User avatar
Bootz2004
 
Posts: 21254
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:17 pm
Has thanked: 100 times
Been thanked: 452 times

Re: Mock two

Postby mdb1958 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:35 am

real bucs fan wrote:I will guarantee you that we aren't taking 4 DLs...


That may be, but doing it your way isnt any better.
All late rounders.

Stevie Tu'ikolovatu
Jeremy McNichols
Dan Vitale
Devante Bond
Caleb Benenoch
Joey Iosefa
Kaelin Clay
Kenny Bell
Robert Herron
Kevin Pamphile
Kadeem Edwards
Mike James
Steven Means
Drake Dunsmore
Michael Smith
mdb1958
 
Posts: 8421
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:11 pm
Has thanked: 143 times
Been thanked: 78 times

Re: Mock two

Postby mdb1958 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:48 am

Sad thing is I'm saying Licht screwed up, but truth being told he probably had to guarantee all four just to get them to come here.

And so help me if I see any of youz crying like little girls on game day - I'm going full Alpha on ya.
Last edited by mdb1958 on Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
mdb1958
 
Posts: 8421
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:11 pm
Has thanked: 143 times
Been thanked: 78 times

Re: Mock two

Postby Cheb » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:52 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
Cheb wrote:
No one is saying that competition is bad, especially on a unit that has admittedly underperformed for the past several years.

What people are saying is that drafting a player who you don't expect to contribute is a bad draft philosophy. It would be like drafting two quarterbacks this year, an idea that no one on this forum has advocated for, and for good reason. Yes, quarterback is the most important position on the field, and yes, Winston got hurt last year, and yes, Fitzpatrick isn't getting any younger, and yes, cutting Griffin would save almost $1.5 million. But it's still a stupid idea because there are better ways to spend your limited draft capital.


Okay so how exactly does that apply to the Dline? Are Will Clarke and Mitch Unrein keeping young prospects from getting snaps? I agree with mdbs assessment. If you're saying before the draft that the Dline is set and good to go then you underestimate just how bad it has been. Are the signings we made good enough to solve those issues? No.


Let's take it by position. At defensive end, we are two deep. JPP plays a shitton of snaps and likely isn't coming off the field often if at all. The team thinks highly enough of Vinny Curry to pay him 6.5 million a year, and you don't pay that to a free agent if you plan on drafting his replacement less than a month after signing him. Behind them we have WIll Gholston, a versatile defender who can play inside at undertackle if need be, and Noah Spence, a designated third down pass rushing specialist. Let's say we add a high round defensive end. Where is he getting his snaps? On first and second down over JPP, Curry, or Gholston? Highly unlikely. What about on third down, when Spence is most likely to see the field? There are only two defensive end spots. Even if you slide Gholston inside on passing downs, that rookie would still have three defensive ends ahead of him who are expected to take those third down snaps.

Now let's look inside. Gerald McCoy isn't going to go off the field except if he needs a breather or he is injured. Period. Unrein is the guy backing him up, a reliable veteran to give our reliable veteran a breather when needed. Beau Allen is the starting nosetackle, and he's likely a two down specialist. Stevie is on the bubble as the backup nosetackle. When do you expect to get a rookie his snaps? On early downs at nosetackle over Allen or at undertackle over McCoy? You're kidding yourself. On third downs as a UT over McCoy? Likewise kidding. That leaves reps as a third down nosetackle.

We carried nine defensive linemen on the 53-man roster. We are not planning to draft replacements for JPP (just traded for him, minimal cap savings if cut), Vinny Curry (just signed him, zero cap savings if cut), Will Gholston (zero cap savings if cut), or Noah Spence (cheap on his rookie deal and a chance to shine as a backup). We also aren't going to draft a replacement for McCoy (best player on the defense), Beau Allen (just signed him, zero savings), or Mitch Unrein (just signed him, zero savings). That's seven out of nine spots that are going to make the team, barring an unforeseen circumstance such as injury.

If you draft four defensive linemen, then they are going to battle for those final two spots against Stevie Tu'ikolovatu and Will Clarke. Drafting two guys to compete for those two spots is fine, but I can guarantee that the Bucs aren't going to draft four. They would have to cut two of their four shiny new defensive line draftees to make the final 53, or cut two of those seven mortal locks to make the roster. The first thing is a waste, the second thing is stupid for reasons mentioned above.

Do we know how it's all going to work out? No. But I can guarantee you that Jason Licht and Dirk Koetter aren't going to draft four defensive linemen.
Image
Cheb
 
Posts: 3304
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:00 pm
Location: West Coast is best coast
Has thanked: 51 times
Been thanked: 289 times

Re: Mock two

Postby mdb1958 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:59 am

And Cheb just explained why we always suck. I think DN's version is were set...
mdb1958
 
Posts: 8421
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:11 pm
Has thanked: 143 times
Been thanked: 78 times

Re: Mock two

Postby Cheb » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:06 am

mdb1958 wrote:And Cheb just explained why we always suck. I think DN's version is were set...


It wasn't my idea, but it's what the Bucs did. Their minds seem pretty firmly set, just like those top seven guys on the DL.

If you're saying that the Bucs will draft four linemen and keep them all, then be my guest. Just realize that in so doing, they will be forced to cut at least two players who are either getting guaranteed money, the best player on the defense, or a cheap guy still on his rookie deal coming off injury. Prepare to be disappointed, mdb.
Image
Cheb
 
Posts: 3304
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:00 pm
Location: West Coast is best coast
Has thanked: 51 times
Been thanked: 289 times

Re: Mock two

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:07 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:
Wilcox got traded, not cut. So you can't say he would not have made the roster.

I get your point, but you're overstating it. Allen and Curry are locks to make the roster based on the year 1 guaranteed money they received to sign here. The Bucs aren't going to release either guy and eat that signing bonus.

If Spence is healthy he'll make the team. You're kidding yourself to think otherwise.

Gholston's salary is already guaranteed for 2018 so there would have to be clear better option that would force the Bucs to eat that $6m in dead money to release him.

Maybe Unrein could get beat out, but I doubt it. He was brought in to play the run and be a rotational guy. Unrein was one of the better run defending interior Dlinemen in the NFL last season.

I want the Dline to be better than is has just like every fan. But this illusion that will come from a bunch of day 2-3 draft picks instead of the additions we've already made is something I don't agree with is all.

The Bucs have room for a few more Dlinemen on the 53. I don't think that is controversial nor would it preclude us from drafting a couple if the board fell that way. It's just that the current depth means it's unlikely we draft any more than 1-2 Dlineman in the upcoming draft imo.


I didn't say Wilcox was cut. I said he didn't make the team which he didn't. Traded means he wasn't here. Are you saying that can't happen? It certainly can happen.

What makes Noah Spence such a guarantee to make this roster? He's done nothing. If you're saying he's the best we have then you're proving my point. We very well could draft someone to take over for him.

And as you pointed out, Allen and Curry and Unrein are on 1 year deals. As is Gholston at this point. Makes them easy trades if things don't pan out.

I'm not even saying we will move on from these players but I just want to know if you guys even understand how the off-season works. Do you really believe we won't add more players to the Dline to get to 90? You might as well say we won't add more LBs or QBs or TEs or WRs because we're set there as well...


I'm talking more about projecting the 53 as it relates to this conversation given who is currently on the roster and how many Dlinemen we would draft. I agree we will add more players, including Dlinemen to the 90man offseason roster limit. Maybe we'll find some gold and those guys will make Gholston, Unrein, or Spence expendable. I just wouldn't bet on it was my point b/c the probability is low.

Free Agents are rarely ever cut in year one was my point about Wilcox (last year) and the other Dlinemen we've signed this offseason.
Image
User avatar
DreadNaught
 
Posts: 10884
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:18 am
Has thanked: 439 times
Been thanked: 464 times

Re: Mock two

Postby mdb1958 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:09 am

Add up GMC's games and he has averaged half of them at 2 tackles or less a game. He dont try to move people, its shoot the hole or nothing.
mdb1958
 
Posts: 8421
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:11 pm
Has thanked: 143 times
Been thanked: 78 times

Re: Mock two

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:09 am

mdb1958 wrote:And Cheb just explained why we always suck. I think DN's version is were set...


I think there is some nuance between "we're set" at Dline (which I never said) and drafting 4 new Dlinemen in the upcoming draft.
Image
User avatar
DreadNaught
 
Posts: 10884
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:18 am
Has thanked: 439 times
Been thanked: 464 times

Re: Mock two

Postby Cheb » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:21 am

mdb1958 wrote:Add up GMC's games and he has averaged half of them at 2 tackles or less a game. He dont try to move people, its shoot the hole or nothing.


So now you're mad because of McCoy's playstyle? That's his game. That's always been his game. He's one of the best in the league at shooting gaps. It's the reason he's so good at what he does, the reason that he has $102 million in career earnings by the time he turned thirty.

Could Gerald McCoy beef up and be a people mover? Maybe. Could Peyton Manning have been a good option quarterback? Maybe.

Don't force your players to be things they are not. Don't go all Lovie Smith on me, mdb.
Image
Cheb
 
Posts: 3304
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:00 pm
Location: West Coast is best coast
Has thanked: 51 times
Been thanked: 289 times

Re: Mock two

Postby mdb1958 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:22 am

Cheb wrote:
mdb1958 wrote:And Cheb just explained why we always suck. I think DN's version is were set...


It wasn't my idea, but it's what the Bucs did. Their minds seem pretty firmly set, just like those top seven guys on the DL.

If you're saying that the Bucs will draft four linemen and keep them all, then be my guest. Just realize that in so doing, they will be forced to cut at least two players who are either getting guaranteed money, the best player on the defense, or a cheap guy still on his rookie deal coming off injury. Prepare to be disappointed, mdb.



No its my mock, the only thing crazier than drafting 4 DL's is guaranteeing 4 DL free agents.

By your reasoning, if Chubb is there and whoevers super DL is there then we are passing on them. The other 2 wouldnt make the team so they are a waste just like the big list I made. Except for one thing the 2 guys that lose out - that dont have a huge guarantee stuck in their ass could go on IR or somebody could get hurt.
mdb1958
 
Posts: 8421
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:11 pm
Has thanked: 143 times
Been thanked: 78 times

Re: Mock two

Postby mdb1958 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:27 am

Cheb wrote:
mdb1958 wrote:Add up GMC's games and he has averaged half of them at 2 tackles or less a game. He dont try to move people, its shoot the hole or nothing.


So now you're mad because of McCoy's playstyle? That's his game. That's always been his game. He's one of the best in the league at shooting gaps. It's the reason he's so good at what he does, the reason that he has $102 million in career earnings by the time he turned thirty.

Could Gerald McCoy beef up and be a people mover? Maybe. Could Peyton Manning have been a good option quarterback? Maybe.

Don't force your players to be things they are not. Don't go all Lovie Smith on me, mdb.


No I'm showing you what is part of the suck. Its plain obvious to me. I'm not trying to change your opinion, just giving you mine. I think he is a good player that teams know how to minimize.
mdb1958
 
Posts: 8421
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:11 pm
Has thanked: 143 times
Been thanked: 78 times

Re: Mock two

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:18 pm

mdb1958 wrote:And Cheb just explained why we always suck.


Exactly. Lack of competition and actually earning spots. Cheb I get your spot by spot breakdown but you've done exactly what mdb said here. That's why we've sucked. "Can't draft this guy because we have XYZ here now".
User avatar
Bootz2004
 
Posts: 21254
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:17 pm
Has thanked: 100 times
Been thanked: 452 times

Re: Mock two

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:22 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:
I didn't say Wilcox was cut. I said he didn't make the team which he didn't. Traded means he wasn't here. Are you saying that can't happen? It certainly can happen.

What makes Noah Spence such a guarantee to make this roster? He's done nothing. If you're saying he's the best we have then you're proving my point. We very well could draft someone to take over for him.

And as you pointed out, Allen and Curry and Unrein are on 1 year deals. As is Gholston at this point. Makes them easy trades if things don't pan out.

I'm not even saying we will move on from these players but I just want to know if you guys even understand how the off-season works. Do you really believe we won't add more players to the Dline to get to 90? You might as well say we won't add more LBs or QBs or TEs or WRs because we're set there as well...


I'm talking more about projecting the 53 as it relates to this conversation given who is currently on the roster and how many Dlinemen we would draft. I agree we will add more players, including Dlinemen to the 90man offseason roster limit. Maybe we'll find some gold and those guys will make Gholston, Unrein, or Spence expendable. I just wouldn't bet on it was my point b/c the probability is low.

Free Agents are rarely ever cut in year one was my point about Wilcox (last year) and the other Dlinemen we've signed this offseason.


Exactly. You can't make any projections or predictions accurately as it relates to the roster without including the draft. If Chubb is there at 7 do you pass on him? By you and Cheb's account yes because players on 1 year deals are in his way this year. Chubb would be a wasted pick. But we should absolutely sign UDFAs who have no shot of making the roster because the Dline is so great now.....
User avatar
Bootz2004
 
Posts: 21254
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:17 pm
Has thanked: 100 times
Been thanked: 452 times

Re: Mock two

Postby Buc2 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:24 pm

mdb1958 wrote:
Cheb wrote:
So now you're mad because of McCoy's playstyle? That's his game. That's always been his game. He's one of the best in the league at shooting gaps. It's the reason he's so good at what he does, the reason that he has $102 million in career earnings by the time he turned thirty.

Could Gerald McCoy beef up and be a people mover? Maybe. Could Peyton Manning have been a good option quarterback? Maybe.

Don't force your players to be things they are not. Don't go all Lovie Smith on me, mdb.


No I'm showing you what is part of the suck. Its plain obvious to me. I'm not trying to change your opinion, just giving you mine. I think he is a good player that teams know how to minimize.

I don't think it's so much that teams know how to minimize GMac, but more that they haven't had to worry about anyone else giving them trouble, thus making it easier for them to deal with GMac using 2 or more blockers. Turning GMac into a bulky run eater wouldn't make our defense any better. Improving the players around him, however, would do much more in turning him into the weapon he should be.
Image
Don't tread on me
User avatar
Buc2
 
Posts: 9013
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:16 pm
Location: America
Has thanked: 781 times
Been thanked: 287 times

Re: Mock two

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:31 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:
I'm talking more about projecting the 53 as it relates to this conversation given who is currently on the roster and how many Dlinemen we would draft. I agree we will add more players, including Dlinemen to the 90man offseason roster limit. Maybe we'll find some gold and those guys will make Gholston, Unrein, or Spence expendable. I just wouldn't bet on it was my point b/c the probability is low.

Free Agents are rarely ever cut in year one was my point about Wilcox (last year) and the other Dlinemen we've signed this offseason.


Exactly. You can't make any projections or predictions accurately as it relates to the roster without including the draft. If Chubb is there at 7 do you pass on him? By you and Cheb's account yes because players on 1 year deals are in his way this year. Chubb would be a wasted pick. But we should absolutely sign UDFAs who have no shot of making the roster because the Dline is so great now.....


Nowhere have I or Cheb suggested passing on Bradley Chubb.

We're making a point that drafting 4 Dlinemen is highly unlikely given the current roster/depth chart along the Dline.
Image
User avatar
DreadNaught
 
Posts: 10884
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:18 am
Has thanked: 439 times
Been thanked: 464 times

Re: Mock two

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:38 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:
Exactly. You can't make any projections or predictions accurately as it relates to the roster without including the draft. If Chubb is there at 7 do you pass on him? By you and Cheb's account yes because players on 1 year deals are in his way this year. Chubb would be a wasted pick. But we should absolutely sign UDFAs who have no shot of making the roster because the Dline is so great now.....


Nowhere have I or Cheb suggested passing on Bradley Chubb.

We're making a point that drafting 4 Dlinemen is highly unlikely given the current roster/depth chart along the Dline.


But I'm guessing that you do believe we'll add 4 combined draft picks and UDFAs? Given the current roster/depth chart along the Dline
User avatar
Bootz2004
 
Posts: 21254
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:17 pm
Has thanked: 100 times
Been thanked: 452 times

Re: Mock two

Postby mdb1958 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:43 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:
Exactly. You can't make any projections or predictions accurately as it relates to the roster without including the draft. If Chubb is there at 7 do you pass on him? By you and Cheb's account yes because players on 1 year deals are in his way this year. Chubb would be a wasted pick. But we should absolutely sign UDFAs who have no shot of making the roster because the Dline is so great now.....


Nowhere have I or Cheb suggested passing on Bradley Chubb.



We're making a point that drafting 4 Dlinemen is highly unlikely given the current roster/depth chart along the Dline.


Couldnt draft Vea, Bryan, Hurst, Payne, etc.etc. because it would take plays away from GMC and the 14.5 mil...
mdb1958
 
Posts: 8421
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:11 pm
Has thanked: 143 times
Been thanked: 78 times

Re: Mock two

Postby mdb1958 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:48 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:
Exactly. You can't make any projections or predictions accurately as it relates to the roster without including the draft. If Chubb is there at 7 do you pass on him? By you and Cheb's account yes because players on 1 year deals are in his way this year. Chubb would be a wasted pick. But we should absolutely sign UDFAs who have no shot of making the roster because the Dline is so great now.....


Nowhere have I or Cheb suggested passing on Bradley Chubb.

We're making a point that drafting 4 Dlinemen is highly unlikely given the current roster/depth chart along the Dline.


No, your words were "I must not care about the lines" and Chebs were "waste --------------- way to go".
mdb1958
 
Posts: 8421
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:11 pm
Has thanked: 143 times
Been thanked: 78 times

Re: Mock two

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:04 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:
Nowhere have I or Cheb suggested passing on Bradley Chubb.

We're making a point that drafting 4 Dlinemen is highly unlikely given the current roster/depth chart along the Dline.


But I'm guessing that you do believe we'll add 4 combined draft picks and UDFAs? Given the current roster/depth chart along the Dline


Maybe, but that is irrelevent since adding UDFA's just something you're arguing with yourself on. Here are the 12 Dlinemen the Bucs currently have on the roster. There is still room to add 21 more players until we reach 90.

94 Clarke, Will DE 6-6 275 26 5 West Virginia
97 Curry, Vinny DE 6-3 279 29 7 Marshall
92 Gholston, William DE 6-6 281 26 6 Michigan State
79 O'Connor, Patrick DE 6-4 270 24 1 Eastern Michigan
90 Pierre-Paul, Jason DE 6-5 275 29 9 South Florida
57 Spence, Noah DE 6-2 251 24 3 Eastern Kentucky
71 Ward, Channing DE 6-4 279 25 2 Mississippi
75 Lambert, DaVonte DL 6-2 282 23 3 Auburn
91 Allen, Beau DT 6-3 327 26 5 Wisconsin
93 McCoy, Gerald DT 6-4 300 30 9 Oklahoma
96 Tu'ikolovatu, Stevie DT 6-1 320 26 2 Southern California
98 Unrein, Mitch DT 6-4 301 31 8 Wyoming

Let's say the Bucs draft Chubb at 7, then Hurst is also sitting there as the clear BPA at 38 so we draft him also (which NOBODY is arguing against). Why on earth would we spend two more draft picks on Dlinemen in the late rounds at that point while ignoring CB, RB, S, OL? Any Dlinemen we would draft AFTER already taking Chubb and Hurst would have almost zero chance of making the 53 man roster. Which is MY point about why the Bucs won't be drafted FOUR Dlinemen.
Image
User avatar
DreadNaught
 
Posts: 10884
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:18 am
Has thanked: 439 times
Been thanked: 464 times

PreviousNext

post

Return to College Football/Draft Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 10 guests

cron