QB draft discussion

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
QB draft discussion

Postby Stephenip12 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:41 pm

Speak it into existence, years from now which one of these Qbs will end up being the best from this draft class? and what will be their ceiling in the NFL? elite or solid starter?
Stephenip12

Re: QB draft discussion

Postby Cheb » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:00 pm

I haven't spent much time looking at the quarterbacks this year. We have our guy and life is too short to scout every position in every draft. I also haven't looked at the top receivers or tight ends for the same reason. So sue me.

All that said, I'll bet Jackson has the best first three years in the league.
Cheb

Postby real bucs fan » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:08 pm

I haven't spent alot of time on the QBs, but if I were to bet on one of them being a top 10 type QB, my bet would be on Rosen. I think he's the best pure passer in this class. I can see him being a Matt Ryan type but with more moxie and a stronger arm in his best case scenario. Darnold to me reminds me a bit of the Dalton/Cutler type. Good enough to make some big throws and win with, but ultimately makes too many mistakes. Mayfield I think can either hit or miss. Allen I haven't looked at at all other than during this draft process, so I'll reserve comment, though he looks to be of the boom/bust variety as well. Jackson could have a Deshaun Watson like impact but I like him less than I liked Watson (who I was a big fan of).
real bucs fan

Postby beardmcdoug » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:30 pm

- Lamar Jackson is not going to be a starter in the NFL
- Rosen is going to have a couple promising years, but will get injured multiple times times and will retire after 5-6 years in the league
- Allen is going to bust
- Darnold is going to go to a couple pro bowls but he’s basically Andy Dalton 2.0
- Pats are going to take Mason Rudolph - he’s actually the guy that’s going to take over for Brady in a year or so. Wins a couple playoff games, goes to a couple Pro Bowls, but never wins a Super Bowl with BB before BB retires
- Baker Mayfield is going to the Jets and he’s going to win multiple playoff games, go to multiple pro bowls and win a super bowl
beardmcdoug

Postby Naismith » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:00 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:- Rosen is going to have a couple promising years, but will get injured multiple times times and will retire after 5-6 years in the league

This will never, ever happen with any QB. As a point of reference, Sam Bradford is getting up to $20m this year.
Naismith

Postby beardmcdoug » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:21 pm

Naismith wrote:
beardmcdoug wrote:- Rosen is going to have a couple promising years, but will get injured multiple times times and will retire after 5-6 years in the league

This will never, ever happen with any QB. As a point of reference, Sam Bradford is getting up to $20m this year.

Also as a point of reference, each human being only gets one brain. Josh Rosen is smart enough, and seems critically/cynically aware of his position (in life/sports), that he understands that after already having endured two concussions, each successive one puts him at greater and greater risk for permanent brain damage. I'd be willing to bet that a smart guy like him would look at the roughly $25 million he'll earn in his rookie contract as more than enough money ($400,000 per year for 60 years) to support a happy, healthy life
beardmcdoug

Postby beardmcdoug » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:37 pm

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23244329/josh-allen-wyoming-cowboys-ultimate-boom-bust-2018-nfl-draft-prospect

Are we really about to watch Josh Freakin Allen get drafted 1 or 2 overall???? Guy is going to bust so hard... can’t learn accuracy - if you don’t have it by the time you’re 20, it’s never happening. Would be such a Browns move
beardmcdoug

Postby MJW » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:49 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23244329/josh-allen-wyoming-cowboys-ultimate-boom-bust-2018-nfl-draft-prospect

Are we really about to watch Josh Freakin Allen get drafted 1 or 2 overall???? Guy is going to bust so hard... can’t learn accuracy - if you don’t have it by the time you’re 20, it’s never happening. Would be such a Browns move

So we shouldn't keep our fingers crossed about Jameis learning how to hit D-Jax deep?
MJW

Postby Nano » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:54 pm

Probably not tbh, but Jameis can hit the intermediate routes better than most QBs.

Allen can't hit anything.
Nano

Postby MJW » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:37 am

Nano wrote:Probably not tbh, but Jameis can hit the intermediate routes better than most QBs.

Allen can't hit anything.

Jameis's accuracy on the intermediate routes is darn near elite. He rips the ball. And even on the deeper routes, when he has to throw with anticipation, he can hit those. Some of his 25-35 yard throws to Mike Evans have been art. It's just when he loads up and bombs it that it gets...iffy.

I think you're being too hard on Allen. He doesn't have elite accuracy but I think it's functional enough for him to let his other positive attributes shine. I think he needs to be in the right offense. He's not a West Coast guy. I'd like to see him in an offense like what the Cardinals ran with Bruce Arians. I'm honestly not sure who a great fit would be right now. He'd be a good fit doing Joe Flacco things in Baltimore.
MJW

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:50 am

Some draft rumors I read/heard this morning that are all probably BS:

Josh Allen is the most likely QB candidate to free fall. Teams either love him or hate him and it's rumored many more teams hate him than love him.

The Giants do not want a QB and will either take Barkley or trade back...unless...Sam Darnold is still there. That's why they didn't shop their pick previously as they love him.

There are still silly rumors about the Patriots trading up for a QB. With 2 1st round picks and everyone thinking they will trade Gronk for his recently emphasized unhappiness this is just a rumor based on circumstances with 0 insider information.

I think the Patriots rumor is the most outlandish, but I still wouldn't be shocked to see them do something crazy. I'm never really shocked with Belichick. Their roster needs talent as discussed previously, outside of Brady and Gronk their overall talent level is in the bottom half of the league.
uscbucsfan

Postby Doctor » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:34 am

The beautiful thing about QBs is that it only takes one team to fall in love with them. With so many QB needy teams for sure some have their hearts set on Allen, who I don't think would make it past Elway. Keenum allows them to bring Allen along slowly, maybe even sitting for more than just his rookie year if needed. The Packers manage to completely rebuild Rodgers and obviously it was well worth the wait and effort.
Doctor

Postby Naismith » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:59 am

I believe the latest rumors, that the Browns are down to Allen or Mayfield. It's like the ultimate edition of football guy vs analytics if they're choosing between those two. I think Mayfield is the right choice and will be the best QB in this draft but I expect most NFL teams would go with the appeal of what Allen could be.
Naismith

Postby Alpha » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:25 am

I mentioned this during the college season. In the interim, I've watched a lot more game tape on all of these guys, except Josh Allen.

My personal favorite is Josh Rosen. I just like everything about the guy. I know opinions are gonna vary on this but he has the "alpha dog" personality I like in QB's. I believe, when it's all said and done, he will be the most successful QB in this class.

And this is exactly the reason why I'm not sold on Sam Bradford. I personally watched 3 of his games over the last 2 years. All losses. He seemed to wilt when the spotlight was brightest. I've also seen quotes from him (during the season), where he was questioning his OWN ABILITY. Don't get me wrong, introspection is not a bad quality...but I don't want to HEAR IT from my QB. Nobody questions his ability. He has the tools to be successful. I just don't know if he has the mental toughness to overcome adversity in the NFL.

Baker Mayfield is a guy I like as well. Again...he has the attitude and personality I like in a QB. I don't think he's as physically gifted as Rosen or Bradford but he's the guy who could end up being the best in this class. Unlike Bradford, he is a guy who has done nothing BUT overcome adversity, which will bode well for his NFL career. If I make a mistake drafting a QB, I wouldn't mind making it with Mayfield.

I really WANT to like Jackson. He's exciting to watch. Electric. I just don't think, AT THIS POINT, he is a polished enough passer FROM THE POCKET, to sustain him in the NFL. Especially when his wheels go. I do think if he ends up in the right situation (GB/NE) and can sit and learn for a few years, he could have a great career. If he's forced to play from the jump, I think he's in trouble.

I don't know enough about Josh Allen to opine one way or the other.
Alpha

Return to College Football/Draft Talk