Naismith Mock Draft Thread

Dedicated to College Football and Draft discussion.
Naismith Mock Draft Thread

Postby Naismith » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:30 pm

1. Cleveland Browns - Baker Mayfield
2. New York Giants - Sam Darnold
3. New York Jets - Josh Rosen
4. Denver Broncos* - Josh Allen
5. Cleveland Browns* - Bradley Chubb
6. Indianapolis Colts - Quenton Nelson
7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers...

a. What I think they should do...Ideally, I'd trade down in this spot in acquire additional assets. Staying at 7, I'd take Vita Vea, DT, Washington.
b. What they will do...Shaquon Barkley.

38. Arden Key, EDGE, LSU - There are a lot of ways I could see the Bucs going here. I think the team would prefer to take a RB, DB or guard but the allure of Key's ceiling is too appealing.

102. Shaquem Griffin, S, UCF - I'm a little worried that if the Bucs like Griffin, they panic and take him in round two. Anyways, they draft Griffin with the intention of playing him at safety and knowing he'll be a special teams upgrade.

144. Desmond Harrison, OT, West Georgia - Depth selection that could replace either tackle in the future.

180. Mark Walton, RB, Miami - Three down RB to pair up with Peyton Barber.

202. Dane Cruikshank, CB, Arizona - Opt for size and athleticism at CB.

255. Janarion Grant, WR, Rutgers - Potentially dynamic returner if he returns to pre-injury form.

* Denver trades pick 71 to move up from 5 to 4 to block someone else from trading with Browns. Browns pass on more lucrative trade down options to also snag top defensive player in the draft.
Last edited by Naismith on Wed May 09, 2018 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Naismith

Re: Naismith Mock Draft Thread

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:13 pm

I'm confused. You say they will take Saquan Barkley but you think they should take Vita. They you have Mark Walton getting drafted with the intention of pairing him with...Barber. So is Barkley the pick at 7 or Vita?
Bootz2004

Postby DreadNaught » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:42 pm

I don't get it.

What does mdb think?
DreadNaught

Postby Super K » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:58 pm

LOVE the Vea pick and adding another edge guy with he upside of Key in round 2 is a steal..

Griffen in round 4 looks to be a steal...guy is all heart and could develop into one helluva SS...

Hate your RB pick...
Super K

Postby Nano » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:23 pm

Not everyone likes them as big as you do, Super K...
Nano

Postby Super K » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:48 pm

Nano wrote:Not everyone likes them as big as you do, Super K...

Sounds like I'm back in college (giggle)...

On a serious note, there are a couple of smaller RBs I like in this draft (Guice, Wadley)...

Just don't care for Walton..
Super K

Postby terrytate » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:38 pm

Shaquan Barkley
Mark Alstatt
Rhonde Barber

Yup, Barkley will fit right in here.
terrytate

Postby real bucs fan » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:49 pm

Glad we passed on Shaquan Barkley. Would have liked Saquan there though.

To be honest, I dislike every pick. Fat DT at 7, headcase edge that we aren't desperate for in round 2, 1 armed LB round 4...
real bucs fan

Postby theBKwhopper » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:26 pm

It's not my favorite. But, I could get behind it.
theBKwhopper

Postby Cheb » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:13 pm

I don't like it.

If you draft Vea like you want, you would be drafting zero starters.

Vea would be a rotational guy at a three deep position. Arden Key weighs as much as LVD, can't hold the edge, has red flags for medical and personal reasons, and would also be a rotational guy. You would overdraft Griffin to transition him to a new position he's never played before. Desmond Harrison is too small, raw as ****, and has character concerns, needs are least one redshirt season. Grant is a ghost of a shadow of his former self since the ankle injury, and I'll bet you ten bucks that he goes undrafted, and a further ten that he won't make an opening day roster.

I like Mark Walton though. He'd contribute some quality snaps. Cruikshank has interesting tools as a developmental safety and special teamer.

When your best picks are your sixth rounders, ya done goofed.
Cheb

Postby Super K » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:28 pm

There is absolutely no freakin way that, if drafted, Vea doesn't start over Allen or Unrein....no way...

And if Vea is out at 7 then that same line of thinking means Chubb is out too, right?

Yes, Key would be rotational...just like Spence is...but he could allow for more waves of passrush to be thrown at the opposing offense...(and I'm not a huge Key fan)
Super K

Postby Cheb » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:45 pm

Super K wrote:There is absolutely no freakin way that, if drafted, Vea doesn't start over Allen or Unrein....no way...

And if Vea is out at 7 then that same line of thinking means Chubb is out too, right?

Yes, Key would be rotational...just like Spence is...but he could allow for more waves of passrush to be thrown at the opposing offense...(and I'm not a huge Key fan)

I don't know if Vea would. Having watched some more of Vea's snap-to-snap play, I've cooled on him a bit. I think that at least as a rookie, having him start right away may not be too wise.
Cheb

Postby Super K » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:15 pm

Cheb wrote:
Super K wrote:There is absolutely no freakin way that, if drafted, Vea doesn't start over Allen or Unrein....no way...

I don't know if Vea would. Having watched some more of Vea's snap-to-snap play, I've cooled on him a bit. I think that at least as a rookie, having him start right away may not be too wise.

Not liking him as an prospect is different than disregarding the selection because he "wouldn't start"...

Hell if that's one of the major criteria for selection than we are pretty much pigeonholed for Nelson as DK already insinuated that Barber is our starting RB..
Super K

Postby Naismith » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:41 pm

I'd rather have defensive line depth than starters at a lot of positions so that influences my personal decision-making. The flexibility of having more interior linemen can only help McCoy, both from keeping hands off of him but also in getting rest.

I didn't realize how light Key measured at the combine. I'd imagine he plays bigger and slimmed down to put up better agility numbers and to show that he could control his weight. I like Kemoko Turay a lot but this seems too early for him and round four seems too late. I don't know, if you like an edge rusher, don't worry about taking him too early, I guess.

I usually look at a few mocks and see guys that are still available when the Bucs pick to try to have some accuracy. When round two comes and some dynamic RBs are available, like Michel or possibly Guice or whatever, I wouldn't take them over a pass rusher with high upside. In round four, I'd rather have Griffin than any of the RBs that are likely to be available then because at worst, he's going to be a special teams star and I think there's a chance that he's a very good safety. Likewise in the fifth, I think Harrison is better value than any RBs.

By the time I got to a spot where I could really fit in a RB, the analysis I read about Walton seemed most in line with what I think the Bucs should be looking for.
Naismith

Postby Doctor » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:14 am

Love the set up. Not only do you say who went beforehand you give who you would pick and who you think OBP will pick, so it's kinda like two mocks. I really like that style.

I think OBP would go with Barkley there and they'd be right to do so. Giants get Mayfield, didn't see that coming, nice curve.
Doctor

Postby terrytate » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:45 am

Super K wrote:
Cheb wrote:

Not liking him as an prospect is different than disregarding the selection because he "wouldn't start"...

Hell if that's one of the major criteria for selection than we are pretty much pigeonholed for Nelson as DK already insinuated that Barber is our starting RB..

Don't be silly. Barber is the starter of the backs we have. No way he starts over Barkley.
terrytate

Postby BucaRican » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:48 am

Naismith wrote:1. Cleveland Browns - Sam Darnold

102. Shaquem Griffin, S, UCF - I'm a little worried that if the Bucs like Griffin, they panic and take him in round two. Anyways, they draft Griffin with the intention of playing him at safety and knowing he'll be a special teams upgrade.

Wow I like... be prepared to take heat, many around here are blind...
BucaRican

Postby Naismith » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:26 am

Naismith wrote:1. Cleveland Browns - Sam Darnold
2. New York Giants - Baker Mayfield
3. New York Jets - Josh Rosen
4. Denver Broncos* - Josh Allen
5. Cleveland Browns* - Bradley Chubb
6. Indianapolis Colts - Quenton Nelson
7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers...

a. What I think they should do...Ideally, I'd trade down in this spot in acquire additional assets. Staying at 7, I'd take Vita Vea, DT, Washington.
b. What they will do...Shaquon Barkley.

38. Arden Key, EDGE, LSU - There are a lot of ways I could see the Bucs going here. I think the team would prefer to take a RB, DB or guard but the allure of Key's ceiling is too appealing.

144. Desmond Harrison, OT, West Georgia - Depth selection that could replace either tackle in the future.

180. Mark Walton, RB, Miami - Three down RB to pair up with Peyton Barber.

202. Dane Cruikshank, CB, Arizona - Opt for size and athleticism at CB.

255. Janarion Grant, WR, Rutgers - Potentially dynamic returner if he returns to pre-injury form.

* Denver trades pick 71 to move up from 5 to 4 to block someone else from trading with Browns. Browns pass on more lucrative trade down options to also snag top defensive player in the draft.

1. Cleveland Browns - Sam Darold
2. New York Giants - Josh Allen
3. New York Jets - Baker Mayfield
4. Cleveland Browns - Bradley Chubb
5. Denver Broncos - Josh Rosen
6. Indianapolis Colts - Roquan Smith
7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Quenton Nelson, OG, Notre Dame

I am reasonably confident the top three are QBs and that the Browns take Chubb fourth if they don't trade out. I am not confident that the Broncos take a QB. I do think the Colts address the defense since they're switching to a 4-3 and don't really have the players for it. In this scenario, I would take Nelson and I believe the Bucs would do the same without much hesitation.

38. Derrius Guice, RB, LSU

I'd love to get a pass rusher here but I don't think the Bucs will go that route. I had Key in my first one but there are too many red flags with him and, fair or not, I think the specter of Randy Gregory will push him into the third round. Guice is the third RB off the board at pick 38.

Flip-flopped the next two picks as I think they represent more likely draft positions.

102. Desmond Harrison, OT, West Georgia - Depth selection that could replace either tackle in the future.

144. Shaquem Griffin, S, UCF - I still think this pick just makes sense. He slides in at SS, playing some LB and, in a worst case scenario, is a special teams demon.

180. Tarvarus McFadden, CB, FSU The Bucs take a different DB from FSU than most people expect.

202. Jullian Taylor, DL, Temple - At 6'4 and 295 lbs, Taylor is an athletic freak with a huge wingspan that ran a 4.8 40. He'd provide depth behind McCoy and could even get some snaps at DE.

255. Kentavius Street, EDGE, NC State - Lock in a guy that would have gone in the middle of the draft and redshirt him for a season to see if he can push a higher salary guy off the roster in 2019.
Naismith

Postby Doctor » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:51 am

Nelson and Guice, I jizzed in my pants.
Doctor

Postby mdb1958 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:53 am

DreadNaught wrote:I don't get it.

What does mdb think?

Shitcan Key, Griffin, and Grant and get someone I like. Hope for a trade down with the 49ers.

2nd one shitcan the last 4 and get someone I like.

Overall, I like his thinking ------------------------- good draft.
mdb1958

Postby Naismith » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:56 am

Doctor wrote:Nelson and Guice, I jizzed in my pants.

I feel like Guice may be the fourth RB taken. It's also possible I'm easily influenced by draft rumors.
Naismith

Postby Naismith » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:00 pm

Oh, also, I saw Maurice Hurst might fall to day three due to his heart condition. If the Bucs haven't removed him from their board, I'd snatch him up with their second rounder and certainly would use the fourth rounder on him.
Naismith

Postby Naismith » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:40 pm

My guys that I really like outside of the obvious guys at the top:

Marcus Davenport, Nick Chubb, Kemoko Turay, Josh Sweat, Jullian Taylor, Desmond Harrison, Dante Pettis and my favorite UDFA guy, Julian Allen.
Naismith

Postby Teitan » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:44 pm

Naismith wrote:Oh, also, I saw Maurice Hurst might fall to day three due to his heart condition. If the Bucs haven't removed him from their board, I'd snatch him up with their second rounder and certainly would use the fourth rounder on him.

Where are you getting this? Last I’ve seen the condition is a non issue and he should go late 1st early 2nd..
Teitan

Postby Naismith » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:45 pm

Latest on Maurice Hurst, from ESPN's Todd McShay: "Because of the nature of his heart condition, several teams have taken him off their board. It's a risk-reward issue, but he could fall into Day 3."
Naismith

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:10 pm

What indication do you have that the Bucs like Griffin and would move him to safety
Bootz2004

Postby Cheb » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:31 pm

Naismith wrote:Latest on Maurice Hurst, from ESPN's Todd McShay: "Because of the nature of his heart condition, several teams have taken him off their board. It's a risk-reward issue, but he could fall into Day 3."

Best start training that parrot to say "Maurice Hurst."
Cheb

Postby Doctor » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:08 am

Cheb wrote:
Naismith wrote:Latest on Maurice Hurst, from ESPN's Todd McShay: "Because of the nature of his heart condition, several teams have taken him off their board. It's a risk-reward issue, but he could fall into Day 3."

Best start training that parrot to say "Maurice Hurst."

Oh I'd totally roll that dice on day 3. Hell yes.
Doctor

Postby Bootz2004 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:10 am

Damn that. If Hurst is there at 38 take him.
Bootz2004

Postby Teitan » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:11 am

Bootz2004 wrote:Damn that. If Hurst is there at 38 take him.

Exactly.
Teitan

Next

Return to College Football/Draft Talk